• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2010

Somnid said:
Nintendo has a habit of talking about their online services at GDC and this has gone on since about 2005.

2005 - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection announced
2006 - VC announced
2008 - Wiiware launch info, Pay-to-Play
2009 - Virtual Console Arcade, Wii Firmware 4.0, US DSiWare launch info
DSi VC would be great. Combined with a new firmware to play games off of SD Card :D

Not gonna happen, I know!

One can dream, right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Caesar III said:
DSi VC would be great. Combined with a new firmware to play games off of SD Card :D

Not gonna happen, I know!

One can dream, right?

It makes sense to happen now, actually, as Microsoft is about to roll out their own Game Room for Xbox Live. It would be a good counter-announcement that we can now have a portable VC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Plinko said:
It makes sense to happen now, actually, as Microsoft is about to roll out their own Game Room for Xbox Live. It would be a good counter-announcement that we can now have a portable VC.

I'm not really sure that is a counter-announcement. The audience who wants to play 1980s retro arcade games on their home TV is probably not the same audience who wants to play 1990s retro home TV games on their portable console in an oddly shrunken resolution.

I will say that if they DO announce a portable VC, they had better announce a way that your Wii VC purchases will transfer yeahhhhhrighttttt

BooJoh

As much as I'd like a portable VC, I'd be much happier with Virtual Handheld first (or in a perfect world, both) because those GB/GBA/GG/NGP/Lynx/etc games aren't already available on Wii, and many of them are more appropriate for on-the-go play than their console brethren.

Then again, I don't know if I want to start buying Virtual Handheld games on my DSi if there may be a new Nintendo Handheld on the horizon.

MAtgS

Somnid said:
Nintendo has a habit of talking about their online services at GDC and this has gone on since about 2005.

2005 - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection announced
2006 - VC announced
2008 - Wiiware launch info, Pay-to-Play
2009 - Virtual Console Arcade, Wii Firmware 4.0, US DSiWare launch info
hm, I thought VC was announced at E3 05. Yep yep there we go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BooJoh said:
As much as I'd like a portable VC, I'd be much happier with Virtual Handheld first (or in a perfect world, both) because those GB/GBA/GG/NGP/Lynx/etc games aren't already available on Wii, and many of them are more appropriate for on-the-go play than their console brethren.

Then again, I don't know if I want to start buying Virtual Handheld games on my DSi if there may be a new Nintendo Handheld on the horizon.

Yes, virtual handheld would be much better because all the candidate handhelds would actually have resolutions that fit on the DS and because we'd only be rebuying handheld games we already own as opposed to rebuying console games we rebought on the vc that we already own. :p

Balb

I'm worried as to how Nintendo would price handheld classic games. I'm sure Nintendo thinks black and white Game Boy games are worth $5-6.

zigg

Balb said:
I'm worried as to how Nintendo would price handheld classic games. I'm sure Nintendo thinks black and white Game Boy games are worth $5-6.

Some might be. I take more issue with this pervasive and silly notion that the price for an emulated game is determined by what platform it was originally on.

BooJoh said:

actually I meant VH. lol! I want to play Mario GB and Zelda on my DSi again <3

Mafro

Balb said:

In the remote chance that this actually happens, I could see them charging 500 points per GC game, and maybe 800-1000 per GBA game?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:
Some might be. I take more issue with this pervasive and silly notion that the price for an emulated game is determined by what platform it was originally on.

things you can make price based on:
1) scarcity - doesn't apply to digital good and the attempt to make real-world scarce goods more expensive in digital format is pretty gross

2) quality - this isn't possibly going to happen in a consumer friendly way, because the two ways to implement this are a base price with quality titles being more expensive, or a price ceiling with shit titles being cheaper, and neither way is going to benefit people who like good games

3) platform of origin

i know which choice i'm going to pick :p

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
i know which choice i'm going to pick :p

Choice 3 leads to things like Clu Clu Land (I know it's not very popular, but I like it) for $5. Is that a win by any standard? Consumer doesn't get the game, Nintendo doesn't get the sales. No winner here. Why the hell is it even up there?

I'm a self-interested consumer, I'm certainly not going to complain if something's going for less than I'd otherwise be willing to pay for it. But there's a number of lesser titles that might still have some value that get priced too far up under this sort of scheme.

I'd rather see them at least try to estimate a better perceived value—quality is probably not exactly the correct word, though it is certainly a component of said value—and cut the price if it doesn't work out.

(Yeah, I know they wouldn't cut the price. But this is all wishful thinking anyway, so what's the harm in tossing in a little more?) :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:
Choice 3 leads to things like Clu Clu Land (I know it's not very popular, but I like it) for $5. Is that a win by any standard? Consumer doesn't get the game, Nintendo doesn't get the sales. No winner here. Why the hell is it even up there?

I'm a self-interested consumer, I'm certainly not going to complain if something's going for less than I'd otherwise be willing to pay for it. But there's a number of lesser titles that might still have some value that get priced too far up under this sort of scheme.

I'd rather see them at least try to estimate a better perceived value—quality is probably not exactly the correct word, though it is certainly a component of said value—and cut the price if it doesn't work out.

(Yeah, I know they wouldn't cut the price. But this is all wishful thinking anyway, so what's the harm in tossing in a little more?) :D

I'd rather they remove pricing tiers entirely, let publishers price games however they want and release them whenever they want, and let publishers change prices when the inevitable Alex Kidd in Butthead World for $25 doesn't sell.

It worked just fine on the iPhone, frankly.

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
I'd rather they remove pricing tiers entirely, let publishers price games however they want and release them whenever they want, and let publishers change prices when the inevitable Alex Kidd in Butthead World for $25 doesn't sell.

It worked just fine on the iPhone, frankly.

Sounds good to me.

Balb said:
Considering DSiWare has price tiers cheaper than anything on WiiWare and they only charge $5 for NES games, I'd believe GB games starting in the $2-4 range.
Stumpokapow said:
1) scarcity - doesn't apply to digital good and the attempt to make real-world scarce goods more expensive in digital format is pretty gross
Ehh, I'd say it sounds less gross if you instead consider it pricing based on demand rather than scarcity.

gerg

Have these numbers been posted?

FADE reports that WiiWare sales grew to nearly $60 million in 2009, growing by around 30%. This is, of course, dwarfed by Xbox Live Arcade revenue, which grew by 34% in 2009 to over $100 million of revenue. However, when factoring in Virtual Console sales, total downloads on the Wii totaled $125 million.

What do we think of these numbers? Evidently there's plenty of untapped potential, but aside from that are they respectable? (Can they be respectable if there's untapped potential?) Or, do calculation methods just mean that they're bunk?

I tried looking for a source, but it appears that FADE sent out a press release, and most everything seems to lead back to BannedNintendo.

Capndrake

From the Nintendo Life forums:
Dear Betagam7

I apologise for emailing you directly, but we have today received confirmation that “Last Ninja 3” will be removed from the European Virtual Console service. Any consumers that have purchased this title will have the Nintendo Points value refunded to their account. Once again, thank you for providing information regarding this title.

Kind regards,

Jackson Davies

Customer Service Team Leader

Your Nintendo Team
About damn time.

Capndrake said:
From the Nintendo Life forums:

About damn time.
I wish I could get a refund for purchasing Last Ninja 1 :p

gerg said:

FADE reports that WiiWare sales grew to nearly $60 million in 2009, growing by around 30%. This is, of course, dwarfed by Xbox Live Arcade revenue, which grew by 34% in 2009 to over $100 million of revenue. However, when factoring in Virtual Console sales, total downloads on the Wii totaled $125 million.

What do we think of these numbers? Evidently there's plenty of untapped potential, but aside from that are they respectable? (Can they be respectable if there's untapped potential?) Or, do calculation methods just mean that they're bunk?

I tried looking for a source, but it appears that FADE sent out a press release, and most everything seems to lead back to BannedNintendo.

Those WW sales numbers are pretty interesting. Is the $60 million number LTD or 2009 alone? Through the end of 2009 there were 165 NA WW games, 127 PAL and 164 JP by my count, so Wiiware games on average have grossed about $131,578.94 (either LTD or in 2009 alone, depending which the $60 million refers to) per each region they were released in. EDIT - Oh, if these numbers are only estimates then I probably wouldn't put much stock into them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:

FADE is a spin-off venture of ZGZHARTZ. That being said, they shouldn't necessarily be banned on account of the fact that they have a different focus and on a different section. Da ZARTZ had a guy there who did sales estimations for digital download software using <top x> charts which are made publicly available and leaderboard rankings. His XBLA charts were said, by several developers, to be decently close to the real thing. Supposedly when the transition to FADE happened he began incorporating information from developers to supplement his calculations.

My sense is that, unlike Da Zartz, the FADE numbers are not total baloney. One of the reasons why I believe this is because they don't claim to be actual numbers. The numbers are presented as basically analyst estimates. Many analysts release overall market size estimates, and while they're rarely correct, they're normally somewhere near the mark.

Because FADE is, like all business analyst services, a subscription only service, any public data presented by them is apt to be sent as a press release to news sites. It's not a surprise that you wouldn't find a source beyond GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NINTENDO.

On a personal level, I wouldn't pay any particular attention to these numbers. I feel more confident in the YOY growth percentages than the overall figures. Any Wii-related information is going to involve substantially more estimation than XBLA (which has a) publicly accessible gamertag records and b) mandatory leaderboards for all XBLA games--both global rather than regional--versus WiiWare which has basically nothing besides regional top tens and Nintendo Channel numbers)

Insofar as what we should think of them assuming they are true? I would say poor on both accounts. If people are spending ~$150-200 per year at retail on games (which they seem to be based on console tie ratios), then they ought to spend more than $2-3 per year online on games. Still, I don't feel the need to discuss that data further because while it's not openly baloney, I think it could be anywhere from totally accurate to 10000% off and we wouldn't know.

gerg

nincompoop said:
Those WW sales numbers are pretty interesting. Is the $60 million number LTD or 2009 alone? Through the end of 2009 there were 165 NA WW games, 127 PAL and 164 JP by my count, so Wiiware games on average have grossed about $131,578.94 (either LTD or in 2009 alone, depending which the $60 million refers to) per each region they were released in.

I think its 2009. Re-reading the press release, apparently the whole service declined by 6% in 2009, due to a decline of 25% in VC sales.

But don't be so positive about average sales:

"On WiiWare, the top 20 games (10% of the market) took in almost 70% of the revenue, while on Virtual Console the top 50 games (10%) took in almost 80% of the revenue. The top-heavy nature of the market has led to the majority of titles on both services seeing less than 10,000 sales lifetime."

@Stump: Gotcha. : )

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
"On WiiWare, the top 20 games (10% of the market) took in almost 70% of the revenue, while on Virtual Console the top 50 games (10%) took in almost 80% of the revenue. The top-heavy nature of the market has led to the majority of titles on both services seeing less than 10,000 sales lifetime."

This seems apt to me. Not to peg down the specific percentages or numbers as being correct, but on WiiWare and VC more than the other services there's a tremendous gulf in mindshare between top shelf stuff (Art Style, Mega Man 9, World of Good--or SMB / Kirby / Star Fox) and all the rest. While a thoroughly mid-sized game like P.B. Winterbottom on XBLA sells 10k+ week one, and the tiniest titles sell around 2000 units week one, there are WiiWare games that go entirely unreviewed outside NintendoLife, don't get Wikipedia articles, don't get a single purchase on GAF... I mean, we're talking stuff that's gotta be in the low three digit sales week one.

Edit: Note that's not to suggest that the top tier of WiiWare isn't on par with the top tier of XBLA, mind you. I have no doubt that World of Goo and Mega Man and SMB on VC all made crazy cheddar.

Spocker

Currently confirmed games for Europe this week:

WiiWare:

Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth (1000p)
Dracula - Undead Awakening (1000p)
Reel Fishing® Challenge (500p)

DSiWare:
Bird & Bombs™ (200p)
Dracula - Undead Awakening (500p)
Electroplankton™ Marine-Crystals (200p)
Electroplankton™ Varvoice (200p)
Zoo Frenzy (800p)

Any impressions on Mouse House? I'm getting major Lolo/Kickle Cubicle vibes from it, which is a good thing.

600 points for 100 levels sounds like a steal, but are the puzzles worth it? The graphics are nice enough.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gunloc said:
Any impressions on Mouse House? I'm getting major Lolo/Kickle Cubicle vibes from it, which is a good thing.

600 points for 100 levels sounds like a steal, but are the puzzles worth it? The graphics are nice enough.
Nintendo Life gave the game a 5.0.

Spocker said:
Currently confirmed games for Europe this week:

WiiWare:

Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth (1000p)
Dracula - Undead Awakening (1000p)
Reel Fishing® Challenge (500p)

DSiWare:
Bird & Bombs™ (200p)
Dracula - Undead Awakening (500p)
Electroplankton™ Marine-Crystals (200p)
Electroplankton™ Varvoice (200p)

Zoo Frenzy (800p)

jesus....a expensive week for me :/
bolted are mine

Oxx

Just started Starship Patrol.

Like it so far. Nicely presented and it seems fairly deep.

Quite a bit of trial and error involved, though.

Capndrake

OFLC update:

-Baseball Stars Professional (D4 Enterprise, Neo Geo)
-League Bowling (D4 Enterprise, Neo Geo)
-Learning with the PooYoos: Episode 2 (Lexis Numerique, WiiWare)
-Reel Fishing Challenge II (Natsume, WiiWare)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So here is all of the WiiWare and DSiWare action that went down at the Nintendo Conference.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/02/nintendo-summit-liveblog/

9:35 — Dan Adelman, manager of the WiiWare and DSiWare businesses at Nintendo of America, is up to speak about downloads. 11 of the games here for us to play, Nintendo says, will be downloadable ones.

9:36 — Adelman announces Wario Ware: D.I.Y. for March 28th. It’s a DS game where you create your own mini-games, then wirelessly send them to a WiiWare game called Wario Ware: D.I.Y. Showcase, then play them on your TV. You already know about this!

9:37 — Two new WiiWare games in the Art Style series: Light Trax and Rotozoa.

9:39 — Talking about Mega Man 10 for WiiWare. Has a new “easy mode.” Coming March 1. Max & The Magic Marker, recently released in Europe, coming to the U.S. on March 8.

9:40 — Finally, a release date for the anticipated indie WiiWare game Cave Story: March 22. March looks like a big month for WiiWare. Indie Games Festival finalist Super Meat Boy will also come out on WiiWare, Adelman says, this summer. So will indie cult hit And Yet It Moves, also this summer. Also Rage of the Gladiator, a 1-on-1 3-D combat game that supports Motion Plus.

9:43 — DSiWare games: Metal Torrent and X-Scape, which is a 3-D shooter. Hm, didn’t the Argonaut guys do a 3-D shooter called X on the Game Boy? Could that possibly be related to this? Hm!

9:44 — Nintendo’s Bill Trinen here to demonstrate Photo Dojo, a DSiWare game where you take photos of yourself and make a fighting game out of them. This has been out in Japan a while — cool to see it come to the U.S.

9:45 — Doing a pretty extensive demo of this. You take pics of yourself in a variety of fighting-game poses, record your own sound effects, then play what is basically a stripped-down Street Fighter with your
pictures and your voice as the character.

9:46 — Just watching someone play this, a cacophany of recorded sound effects and ridiculousness, is pretty funny. “Bill Trinen PUNCH!”, his avatar yells.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/02/nintendo-summit-liveblog/#ixzz0gTn8yefs

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I downloaded GhostSlayer. The game is ok. Is repetitive and the graphics aren't very good. But it does get challenging at the later stages and WM+ does works, like in WSR.

I see nothing wrong with the 5 dollar price point of Clu-Clu Land.

If you get it off eBay, you are probably going to pay more than that. If you find it at a pawn shop, it will probably be a little less than that.

Then you have the fact that you have nothing of tangible value offset by the need to own a console.

Capndrake

VC for Japan next month (VERY bare):

Super Famicom:
-Sutte Hakkun (March 2nd, Nintendo)
-Romancing Sa-Ga 2 (Square Enix)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Crazy Climber (HAMSTER)

zigg

Pharoah said:
Globulos Party will soon be out on DSiWare.

Okay, now I am curious: how do you know these guys?

tetrisgrammaton said:
I see nothing wrong with the 5 dollar price point of Clu-Clu Land.

If you get it off eBay, you are probably going to pay more than that. If you find it at a pawn shop, it will probably be a little less than that.

Then you have the fact that you have nothing of tangible value offset by the need to own a console.

I am something of an aberration in that I'm willing to spend a couple more bucks here and there on *Ware than I would on, say, the App Store—and I'm completely happy with that decision—and I still think $5 is too high for a game of Clu Clu Land's nature that I already know I like, unless it was in some sort of physical and therefore collectible form.

Is anyone who doesn't already appreciate the game going to go anywhere near it? It might as well be $500 for someone of that type.

Somnid

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next month (VERY bare):

Super Famicom:
-Sutte Hakkun (March 2nd, Nintendo)
-Romancing Sa-Ga 2 (Square Enix)

Virtual Console Arcade:
-Crazy Climber (HAMSTER)

The VCA game releasing in March is Moon Cresta, Crazy Climber released this week.

Somnid

Japanese Downloads for Week of 2/28:

WiiWare

Nintendo's launching a virtual aqarium, looks pretty cool though I'm not sure how to translate the name. Something like "Aquaribing:"
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/wiiware/wgpj/aquarium/index.html

DSiWare:

Shunkan Tsubu Tsubu Tsubushi (G-Style, 200)

Rittai Kakushi E Attakoreda (Nintendo, 500):
Creates a 3D effect by tilting the DSi. Very Cool.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/krgj/index.html

Koneko Kono Ie - Kirishima Ie Sanbiki Koneko (Work Jam, 500)

Karaguchi Ogomori (?) Jou (Kawamoto Sangyou, 500)

mclem

Nuclear Muffin said:
OMG that is super cool, Nintendo (Good Feel) beat Sony to the 3D punch :lol

I want that in Nintendo's next set of retail DS games :D

I was trying to figure out how it detected the tilt, given that the DSi doesn't (as far as I'm aware) have a tilt sensor - is it working it out by using the camera's orientation relative to the face of the player? That's very cool, if so.

Edit: Just seen the other thread. Colour me sheepish.

Top Bottom