• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 appreciation thread

AdroitOne

Neo Member
sphinx said:
you have to get your facts straight

.- the first had horrible, awful voice acting.
.- the prequel had one of the most amazing voice acting soundtracks in the industry.

for me at least, Milliarde is the best voiced female leading character in a "modern" rpg ever.

Maybe I haven't played much in my life but I had feelings for Milliarde, something I have not developed ever before or after for any video game character.

Come on man, just go ahead and admit it. You thought her voice was sexy. Just admit it, there's no shame. LOL, I'm joking.

sphinx

the piano man
AdroitOne said:
Come on man, just go ahead and admit it. You thought her voice was sexy. Just admit it, there's no shame. LOL, I'm joking.

Actually, now that you replied and gave way to further comments of mine, I will say Milliarde was an awesome human being. I have heard sexy voice acting, which is always cool and nicely done but this was something else.

there were so much emotions throughout the game and every time they are perfectly nailed by voice actress Shanelle Workman, I felt happy with the outcome.

I can still remember the scene where she is happy about getting a posh, elegant vessel to travel the world. :lol :lol that was funny, I love her, so charming.

Sadist

I liked the first one, the bossbattles were pretty intense mainly due to the wonky card selection at times. Man, I've spent hours on making good decks. I hated the voiceacting though, especialy the song of Mizuti. The music in general was fantastic, Chaotic Dance was my personal favourite as well.

As a PAL gamer (lol yurop) I never got to play Origins :(

Beat the first game , reached Tarazed in the second , had to turn off my wii after 2 hours without saving for I don't know reason , never got back to it .

Will finish it someday though :)

The first one was solid but Origins is my all time favorite RPG by a mile. I tip my hat to the folks who actually know who the character in my avatar is. Only after I played through the whole game did I figure out the masked character in the opening cinematic was the real face of
Marno. You could only see him as Sagi during the game.
I still haven't fully recovered from that mind blowing or the ones that resulted from the game's plot twists. None of those guards were the least bit curious what Versus was up to in that private room of his?

To fully appreciate the game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwgFfwsVhQ
Chills across every nerve in my body when I hear it. So good :D

daemonic

Banned
Thoroughly enjoyed both.. especially Origins. Loved it so much I decided to go back and play the first, but god the battle system seemed so archaic (comparatively speaking) I just couldn't do it again. After Nintendo bought Monolith I thought for sure we'd be seeing a sequel on the Wii, if not at least on the DS..

Oh and thread needs more art

Art-4.jpg

dwffr5.jpg

Machine

I still have both games in shrinkwrap. My backlog is very intimidating sometimes. I look forward to playing them eventually.

batbeg

Alongside Valkyrie Profile 2, the defining games of the Japanese RPG genre for me last generation. Fucking love these games, and will personally donate any unnecessary organs to Monolith Soft, tri-Crescendo, Nintendo, and Namco to get me 1. Baten Kaitos DS 2. Baten Kaitos 3 3. Baten Kaitos I+II Wiimake with new voice-acting for the first.

Come on, guys, I'm giving you three choices, just do one of them!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Definitely my favorite jRPG series.

It kills me that Nintendo now owns Monolith Soft and theyve made a bunch of games now and a BK3 is nowhere in sight, even just for the DS. This sadness is only made worse by the fact that Monolith employees have said they were interested in making a BK3 and continuing the series, they just need someone up top to give them the go ahead. So Nintendo, pay Namco whatever they need for the rights and let those guys do their magic and make us a BK3.

zigg

Enduin said:
It kills me that Nintendo now owns Monolith Soft and theyve made a bunch of games now and a BK3 is nowhere in sight, even just for the DS.

Yeah, but it's hard to really blame them, given the series' below-shitty sales. Particularly when so much effort was put into BKO...

Jezan

zigg said:
That would be BK. I should note that when I say "final boss", I don't mean the one in the middle of that ending...

That middle ending boss, was unexpected, when the fight started I didn't know what to do, I didn't have the controller in my hands :lol

Fantastic games, and I love Savyna!

AColdDay

Never played the original but BK:O resurrected my interest in rpgs, western or otherwise. The story is fantastic, the characters are so memorable and the music/setting was top-notch. Wish it would have sold more, however.... :(

ShinNL

Machine said:
I still have both games in shrinkwrap. My backlog is very intimidating sometimes. I look forward to playing them eventually.
More like look backward, right :p?

I have them both almost unplayed as well. Even imported(!) Origins since it wasn't released in Europe...

Roto13

Even though it was crazy long, I really liked the ending to the first Baten Kaitos. Though I don't remember what happened in it, besides that weird-ass mid-ending boss. :p

I really need to track down a copy of BKO. It's the last GameCube game I haven't played but want to.

These hold a special place in my heart. There is just something about them that really struck home. I remember Origins and FFXII came out the same year and I had 10x more fun with Origins than with FFXII. That kind of sums up how I feel about BK and the current state of FF.

Very unique games, cool stories and characters, awesome soundtrack and locales. They need to make a new one, so bad. The voice acting was quite bad in the first but it was awesome in origins. Also, did anybody notice Milly was the "wendys" girl? "Its not fast food, its wendys!"

Sigh, def need a new one. BK reminded me of what RPGs used to be like. It gave me that traditional rpg nostalgia feeling, especially the music. Lets not forget that these games had some pretty badass boss battle themes.

Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2hN0YCqls This is one of the main boss battle themes, and it feels like youre about to take on the fucking world.

Yes these games had some flaws, but the highs FAR outweigh the lows. Its a shame they did not sell too amazing.

wrowa

Mardak said:
Makes you wonder what type of battle system a third one would have.

I personally liked the second one's battle system more, but they're different enough to enjoy both. There's a lot more remembering of what cards you had to prepare for a massive combo the next time in the first game while the second game has more planning ahead to have enough cards for a relay combo.
It's definitely a matter of tastes. I loved the relay combos and the speed of the battles in BKO while the battles in BK1 were too slow and tedious for my taste. I didn't like the amount of micromanagement required in BK1 either.

I'm not exactly a fan of card-based RPGs and luckily BKO doesn't even feel that much like such a RPG anymore. Too bad that the "Cards suckz!!11" group never gave the game a chance to begin with.

john tv said:
The story was fantastic; the last couple of hours of the game still give me chills. Especially the bit where
Geldoblame returns to take charge
. So badass.
I love the plot twists in both games. The scene in BKO where
the group in the past wants to give themselves a name was great. You expect them to be the "Children of Earth" and then they're fucking Malpercio, the wicked god. :eek:
. The
traitor scene
in BK1 was great too.

And to whoever said that Milliardes's voice actress was great: Yes, yes, yes. She really is. It doesn't happen very often that an English dub conveys so many emotions. She made a fantastic job.

Add me to the pile of enraged PAL gamers who never got to experience BKO. Loved the first game though.
As a PAL gamer (lol yurop) I never got to play Origins :(
The 2nd game never came out in the UK.
Nintendo, release BKO as a Wii-make for us PAL gamerz please :(
This.

Fuck it, we never got that game. I hate that fact so much :(

Too many bad excuses in this thread ;( I'm a PAL gamer too and it is not a problem to get a new copy of the game even in Europe even today. I got mine for 35€, which is not exactly cheap but at least cheaper than the normal European price would have been.

I loved BK. Couldn't really get in to Origins. I didn't like how there was one deck for the whole party. Never finished the game. Maybe I'll go back and try again.

AColdDay

Why is everyone calling her Milliarde? She prefers Milly :D

Anyways, yeah, she rocks in a way that few rpg females actually do. She was written as a strong character without being obnoxious, and her voice acting was top notch. The guy who said that she made you feel things you normally don't, I'm right there with you buddy.

Man I really liked the first and loved Origins. The BK series is my #2 favorite game series, definitely. Excellent music, good stories (Origins had a great one), best turn based battle system ever (at least for Origins), good characters, good looking graphics. I want a BK3 so badly. It would be my most anticipated game besides Tales of Graces.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
BKO is the best Gamecube RPG. Period. Not that it was a hard task to accomplish.

wrowa

Cohsae said:
For all my fellow PAL gamers out there, get yourself a Freeloader and import BK:O. You'll be glad you did.
If they own a Wii, they don't even need a Freeloader. Gecko OS plays GCN imports just fine.

MoxManiac

I'd like to resume my playthrough of BK1 but I'm not sure I can go back since I've forgotten everything, it's been so long :(

I'm at the part
outer dimension? with the weird villages and shit. I beat (I think) that awful dungeon with the tower of druaga portion and am at the storybook village now.

AColdDay

What's the updated number? That figure came from an old gaf thread, and I figured the games sales were dead in the water after that.

ivysaur12

Banned
zigg said:
Yeah, but it's hard to really blame them, given the series' below-shitty sales. Particularly when so much effort was put into BKO...

Amount of effort put into BKO? It was probably my favorite RPG from last gen, but I really wouldn't call it a high budget project. Lots of love definitely went into the game, but most of the assets were reused from the first game. The newer maps were of noticeably worse quality (except for the Holoholo Jungle and Sheratan). Most of the models were reused, too. And if there were new maps, like in Mintaka, they usually just threw on some copied and pasted "trees" which looked like ugly splotches of green (incidentally, the same technique was used in Disaster).

Nintendo *really* should have moved the game to Wii development and released it as a launch title. Yeah, the cost of development would have gone up, but it would have obviously sold a lot better as a launch title, and the only RPG on the system. It also would have allowed for more people to play it and more chances for a sequel.

Unfortunately, it's a sequel I know we're never getting. I guess I'll settle for being happy with the first two.

I honestly had no idea what to expect from the Baten Kaitos 1. All the reviews and videos I watched didn't explain the battle system enough for me. I bought the game on blind faith after seeing some internet interest.

It was really on of those games that clicked once I started playing. To this day I believe the card power finishers were random on my end. But damned if it wasn't a spectacle to behold when I pull it off. The fourth wall interactions was highly, highly welcomed. The twist in the game did through me for a loop and I applaud it. It was a good 60 hour run looking back if I had to say so.

*looks through thread*

Not sure was this isn't posted but if we are speaking about Baten Kaitos this is obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo&feature=related

Still catchy~

The Baten Kaitos series is very close to my heart, and it saddens me deeply that there hasn't been a third.

I loved the original, but I was blown away with BKO. The music, the voice acting (Milly and Guillo FTW!), the story, the battle system, the difficulty...OMG, it was fucking heaven. It's one of the few games where I have gotten chills--chills! Someone mentioned the part where
the group in the past named themselves Malpercio, when you expected something completely different.
That part had me saying "Holy shit..." I even got goosebumps as I remembered it and typed it out! :lol

And the quality of the localization was in-fucking-credible. It's still one of my favorite localization jobs because it was just so "clean," so to speak.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
john tv said:
I want Baten Kaitos 3 baaaaaad. :) I don't think Origins sold all that well, though...

The story was fantastic; the last couple of hours of the game still give me chills. Especially the bit where
Geldoblame returns to take charge
. So badass.

The whole time through Origins, I was waiting for (spoilerz)
Geldoblame to betray the Quaester and usurp power
. It never happened :eek:

And yeah, that bit after the credits was crazy chilling. Great work by Dwight Schultz. Music especially helped, too

wrowa

ivysaur12 said:
Amount of effort put into BKO? It was probably my favorite RPG from last gen, but I really wouldn't call it a high budget project. Lots of love definitely went into the game, but most of the assets were reused from the first game. The newer maps were of noticeably worse quality (except for the Holoholo Jungle and Sheratan). Most of the models were reused, too. And if there were new maps, like in Mintaka, they usually just threw on some copied and pasted "trees" which looked like ugly splotches of green (incidentally, the same technique was used in Disaster).
After I finished BKO some days ago, I started BK1 again. And to be honest, I would even say that the non-rendered scenes in BKO look worse than the ones in BK1.

Nintendo *really* should have moved the game to Wii development and released it as a launch title. Yeah, the cost of development would have gone up, but it would have obviously sold a lot better as a launch title, and the only RPG on the system. It also would have allowed for more people to play it and more chances for a sequel.
If it had been Nintendo's decision they probably would have moved the game to the Wii. Just as Fire Emblem Wii was probably planned to be a GCN game initially. Too bad that BKO wasn't Nintendo's but Namco's game, who didn't want to spent more money on the development of the game in order to port it to the Wii...

But, honestly, I doubt that BKO would have been a hit on the Wii. Baten Kaitos was a fair success and I know many people who bought it - but I know only a few who actually liked it. I know, that's only anecdotal evidence, which in most cases isn't worth a shit, but to me it seems that many people who bought BK simply weren't interested in BKO because they didn't like the first one very much.

jred250 said:
What's the updated number? That figure came from an old gaf thread, and I figured the games sales were dead in the water after that.
It sold slightly more than 10k in the US iirc and 44k in Japan (according to garaph/Famitsu).

zigg

ivysaur12 said:
Amount of effort put into BKO? It was probably my favorite RPG from last gen, but I really wouldn't call it a high budget project. Lots of love definitely went into the game, but most of the assets were reused from the first game.

I guess you're right. Love and work get confuddled in my mind sometimes. It didn't really feel like a cheap sequel to me.

botticus

I wanted to love BK, since it was one of the few RPGs on the GC, but I'm never one for card battling. Don't have the inclination to put together decks, and going with whatever random cards you have at your disposal is a surefire way to have a shitty experience with battles, especially bosses. Quit at one of those.

Graphics and music and all the other stuff was nice though! I always considered giving it or Origins another shot simply for those reasons. Maybe one day.

ivysaur12

Banned
wrowa said:
After I finished BKO some days ago, I started BK1 again. And to be honest, I would even say that the non-rendered scenes in BKO look worse than the ones in BK1.

If it had been Nintendo's decision they probably would have moved the game to the Wii. Just as Fire Emblem Wii was probably planned to be a GCN game initially. Too bad that BKO wasn't Nintendo's but Namco's game, who didn't want to spent more money on the development of the game in order to port it to the Wii...

But, honestly, I doubt that BKO would have been a hit on the Wii. Baten Kaitos was a fair success and I know many people who bought it - but I know only a few who actually liked it. I know, that's only anecdotal evidence, which in most cases isn't worth a shit, but to me it seems that many people who bought BK simply weren't interested in BKO because they didn't like the first one very much.

It sold slightly more than 10k in the US iirc and 44k in Japan (according to garaph/Famitsu).

Nintendo published the game. It was just Namco's IP. I think Nintendo would have a hand if it got Wii'd. I just don't understand why Nintendo would publish the game and then not give it the best chance possible (though I guess I shouldn't be surprised given their recent track record).

And there's no doubt that it would have done more than whatever it sold. As a launch title for one of the largest launches ever, it would've gotten a lot of free press. I agree with you somewhat, the first wasn't necessarily well received by the public, but it would have done astronomically better as a launch title.

EDIT: And what exactly does "non-rendered" mean?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
wrowa said:
No, it was a Nintendo game. Just like Fatal Frame IV was a Nintendo game, it was a project that Nintendo completely funded and published everywhere (or in these cases, everywhere they wanted to). They probably wouldn't have happened without them or at the very least, they might not have been on the same platforms without Nintendo.

daemonic

Banned
You gotta factor in the name of the series as well as one of the reasons the game didn't sell. I'm sure a lot of people read it not knowing how the hell it's pronouced or they see it and the name just doesn't stick in their heads.

vanty

I'm probably 95% of the way through BK1, haven't played it in months though for some reason. I'll try and finish it this weekend. If I wasn't a poor PALer and could easily play BKO I'd probably have beaten both games by now, maybe I stopped playing BK1 because I didn't want it all to end for me :lol Guess I'll look at importing BKO one day.

I remember finishing Baten Kaitos a few years back. I do remember enjoying it but I can't for the life of me remember anything about the game, I can't even remember the main characters name.

jgwhiteus

Loved both games. I actually ended up liking BK1's battle system a bit more - I remember being near the end, having a line of nine cards with the numbers moving around the edges (due to some item I'd equipped I think) and frantically scanning them and trying to chain a straight 1-2-3-4, etc. combo. Felt like an arcade game, and it was so satisfying when you chained a huge combo. The quality of the voice recording was admittedly horrible.

BKO was a lot of fun, too, but I felt there was less point to deck-building than in the first - you really just needed one or two good weapons and a good helmet, a reasonable balance of moves, and to keep your deck relatively small, and you were set. Part of the fun of BK1 was searching for good cards and powering up your deck; really wasn't much point to doing any card-trading or similar in BKO, though it was a lot more streamlined (and doing chains with the rest of your party was pretty satisfying). However, the voice-acting and story were great, though that may be because it builds upon the first so much.

The implications of the ending to BKO are depressing, however.

I ended up losing my gamesaves for both, and I'm pretty set on going back through both again at some point.

Let me in

I loved the second one. Like most people, I though the first one was good enough for me to try the sequel which blew the first one out of the water. The battle system was great. Voice acting really impressed me in Origins. Just a class act game. Too bad we probably won't see a third one.

Oh and Sedna ftw.

Top Bottom