• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean remake in development by Monolith

Deerock71

"Again, according to the non-publishable graphical proof of what certain insiders have shown us, this is something that is one hundred percent happening. Come summertime; official Baten Kaitos news is going to surface sooner or later."

They don't seem like they're pulling any punches here.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, I would greatly prefer if Monolith did a new IP alongside Xenoblade, instead of remaking their prior games. And truth be told, card games kind of put me off, even if I like the idea.(Though it also being a turn based RPG saves it a lot in my view).

Having said that, anything that makes Monolith make games alongside Xenoblade is exciting. I love Xenoblade, but I want Monolith to ALSO make other types of games.

Woopah

I mean, I would greatly prefer if Monolith did a new IP alongside Xenoblade, instead of remaking their prior games. And truth be told, card games kind of put me off, even if I like the idea.(Though it also being a turn based RPG saves it a lot in my view).

Having said that, anything that makes Monolith make games alongside Xenoblade is exciting. I love Xenoblade, but I want Monolith to ALSO make other types of games.
Agreed, I hope that Monolith has a new IP in the works and the Bandai Namco is the main developer of this remaster.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
On a serious note, they're not going to be able to make something as beautiful as those pre-rendered backgrounds
They're gonna make it "anime" to simplify the visuals.

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_othw1w5mwL1tln6w5o7_r2_540.gif

tumblr_otv0c7Iklz1tln6w5o5_r2_540.gif

He also made a claim a few days ago about Starfield showing up at the super bowl

Looking through this article, he's made the following claims

-He has knowledge of Monolith and Namco working together on the game
-Nintendo is over seeing development
-He has seen evidence it's in development, but it's not of the game itself
-Does not know the scale of the game, nothing to confirm it's a remake
-Does not know if it's 2 games
-Knows the release window of Summer 2023

It seems like nonsense to me. The article could be summed up as a "source" sent him a picture of a paper or spreadsheet with the following
Q2 2023 - Baten Kaitos - Monolith Soft, Namco Bandai (Nintendo)

That information alone could be used for everything in that article. It's meaningless if the source is not confirmed to be employed at any of the companies.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

He also made a claim a few days ago about Starfield showing up at the super bowl

Looking through this article, he's made the following claims

-He has knowledge of Monolith and Namco working together on the game
-Nintendo is over seeing development
-He has seen evidence it's in development, but it's not of the game itself
-Does not know the scale of the game, nothing to confirm it's a remake
-Does not know if it's 2 games
-Knows the release window of Summer 2023

It seems like nonsense to me. The article could be summed up as a "source" sent him a picture of a paper or spreadsheet with the following
Q2 2023 - Baten Kaitos - Monolith Soft, Namco Bandai (Nintendo)

That information alone could be used for everything in that article. It's meaningless if the source is not confirmed to be employed at any of the companies.

Wow, false hopes then

collapse silo GIF

Doesn't need a remake, just a remaster. Hopefully they didn't lose the 3D model files unlike Square-Enix.

Please don't leave Baten Kaitos Origins out of this as it's the best game in that series.

EDIT: Xenoblade 1 on Switch is NOT a remake, just a very enhanced port, so I really hope that if this is true (I doubt it!) they'll just take the original game and tune it whenever it's needed.

Namco needs to agree with it, as Baten Kaitos is probably still a Namco IP and on top of that has some Namco IP that would technically have to be licenced or changed (some Tower of Druaga sections) but they have otherwise, nothing to do with it. Might I also add that Baten Kaitos wasn't solely developed by Monolith, tri-crescendo was in as well.

EDIT2: Baten Kaitos on top of being a beautiful game, had some novel ideas, the card system was off-putting on paper but worked really well, and there was aging for the items. for example, pick some green bananas (a green banana card) wait long enough and it'll be yellow, then black bananas. This applies to plenty of items and these transformations are part of the game system and quests.

The localization and voice overs were shit though. I remember for the first english trailer they hired better actors, then had to basically downsize everything and the game as a whole suffered greatly from that.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Please be true! Goat music and battle system.

Remember playing it for the first time, not knowing that you only could level up your character at save places. Went till the first battle against Giacomo on level 1 and nearly beat him due to having great cards while “training”.

After that, I read the manual and realized my mistake … Never ever have I’ve been more overpowered in a game after that.

I’d prefer Xenoblade Chronicles X to complete the series on Switch, but that’d be cool if Baten Kaitos could have a second chance at life now that card-based games are more popular and there’s an actual user base to buy it.

The voice overs absolutely need to be redone though.
Yeah, the original english localization is rubbish, specially the voice overs but even apart of that, the localization isn't broken but it just doesn't "flow" as well it should.

It lacks soul.

blackjon24

I remember having a great time with it. I do wonder if my opinion might have been skewed since at the time I didn't own a ps2 and jrpgs on gamecube were slim pickings

CosmicComet

Nice, now work on something people care about like Xenosaga.....
Xenosaga was trash.

Xenoblade is a way better IP in everyway.

Also Nintendo owns Monolith for like 15+ years now. Xenosaga was Bamco's IP.

You will never see Xenosaga again.

Also, I am super hyped for this is true. I hope Last Story gets remastered too.

MOTM

Banned
I’m one of the 12 people who played Baten Kaitos on the GameCube.

I find this news hard to believe .. however a simple remaster would suffice I think.

Majukun

only thing i reme,ber about the game is that it signed the end of my jrpg phase..not by the fault of the game, but i just frealized i was not into them anymore and i never finished it

Soltype

I like the second game more, but I'll play a remake of the first. I remember years ago rumors of a DS version, but that never came to fruition.

Hestar69

I would buy this and the seuqel day 1! I had to sell my GC games few years ago to help my mom sadly and I never got the chance to play em.

DelireMan7

Played it last year and I had a blast. The whole card system works so well and really interesting with the "aging" and combo mechanics.

Would be nice to have it rerelease on modern system.

I replayed both BK games in 2021. I loved both, but I actually preferred the first one overall despite the slower battles and worse voice acting. BKO’s pacing is quite bad; I thought the last stretch of the game was amazing, but the middle of the game with revisiting areas from BK1 was quite dull to me.

Both games are some of my fave JRPG’s though

Last edited:

Aldric

Also Nintendo owns Monolith for like 15+ years now. Xenosaga was Bamco's IP.
Sure but I'm pretty sure this is the case for Baten Kaitos as well, it never released on any hardware outside of Gamecube but the IP isn't owned by Nintendo. So if (big if here) this rumor is true that means they struck a deal to get a BK remake on Switch so they might be able to do the same with Xenosaga.

Andyliini

I tried to play the game some years back, but the card based combat didn't really click with me. They never do.
Anyway, if this is real, I hope it will eventually make it to Xenosaga remake.

Drell

People always talk about the meh first one when the prequel is actually better. I really hope we can get both, also for the fact we never got the prequel here in europe.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If true, I hope they make it in a way that makes it interesting to me.
The battle system never clicked with me, and I’m not fond of card-based games.
The game was pretty boring up to the point I always ended up dropping it. I also didn’t care for the exaggerated clothes design, it was like they wanted to ape Nomura’s shtick but were too embarrassed to put in all the belts and zippers, ending up with something both anonymous and overdone.
The English dub was pretty bad too, but that kinda comes with the territory, even more so in the early 2Ks.

Gambit2483

I remember playing Baten Kaitos 1...was a good game from what I remember. I wonder if it's still in my Gamecube collection box 🤔

Would definitely appreciate a Remake of this series

Last edited:
If this is actually real, I’ll be scared until I see footage.

I know the company is more successful than ever but I DO NOT like the Xenoblade games’ art styles or battle systems.

Also: now that Nintendo has bought a CG company, I’d want to see Baten Kaitos have some fancy CG cutscenes. The opening was so good.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
If this is actually real, I’ll be scared until I see footage.

I know the company is more successful than ever but I DO NOT like the Xenoblade games’ art styles or battle systems.

Also: now that Nintendo has bought a CG company, I’d want to see Baten Kaitos have some fancy CG cutscenes. The opening was so good.

I love the Xenoblade artstyle, hope it looks like Xenoblade. Also the Battlesystem for each Xenoblade is great

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hey that’s cool I hope they redo all the tendered backgrounds and not keep the same. At worst they might make them all real time. 😢

Top Bottom