• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING NEWS: 8.8-magnitude quake hits near Concepcion, Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballistik

Slayer-33 said:
What language are some of the people speaking?

I don't understand some of them, even Spanish speakers with the exception of the reporters and a few civilians
All I've heard is spanish so far.

ApopkaATM said:

1z3oshw.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So the lady that's being interviewed (President of something?) on TV Chile has confirmed six deaths, but she doesn't have any information whether or not there are more deaths or how many people are injured, but assures the press that once they find out they will inform them.

Edit:

omg, that poor lady's leg looks so horrible. :(

El Sloth

Banned
Slayer-33 said:

I don't understand some of them, even Spanish speakers with the exception of the reporters and a few civilians

Maybe it's the accent that's throwing you off? Well there are some parts of Chile that also speak German. and there are the various indigenous groups too.

El Sloth

Banned
Rewrite said:
So the lady that's being interviewed (President of something?) on TV Chile has confirmed six deaths, but she doesn't have any information whether or not there are more deaths or how many people are injured, but assures the press that once they find out they will inform them.

President of Chile, Michelle Bachelet.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
CNN is actually using the ustream feed.

It's amazing how the internet has changed news reporting

CNN is actually a bit ahead of the ustream. So CNN is still only saying 6 deaths.

I mean, are they really showing me what people are saying on Twitter? Really? Sweet jesus, and baby jesus.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Slayer-33 said:

:lol

Yeah what jamesinclair said. Chileans are infamous for their speed, unintelligible accents and excessive use of local slang/colloquialisms. If you're not around a Chilean normally, you won't understand half of what they're talking about even if you are a native Spanish speaker.

lo escondido

FilosopherStoner said:
CNN is actually a bit ahead of the ustream. So CNN is still only saying 6 deaths.
i thought i saw the ustream logo in the upper right of the screen

anyways I think that the 6 is "official" number they can't report the deaths accuratelyyet. its less than 2 hrs old.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
BreakyBoy said:
:lol

Yeah what jamesinclair said. Chileans are infamous for their speed, unintelligible accents and excessive use of local slang/colloquialisms. If you're not around a Chilean normally, you won't understand half of what they're talking about even if you are a native Spanish speaker.
Really? Because I can understand their spanish perfectly and I don't think I have any Chilean friends nor family.

Well, they were going to show footage of injured people, but they're having problems broadcasting the footage.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Lakitu said:
What's going on lately... this is crazy.
released tension in the tectonic plates. yellowstone super volcano WILL errupt sooner or later. it's really in human's best interest to inhabit other planets.

man, poor people. so tragic.

jpderrida

Banned
hey guys I live in Chile... I'm still awake from the shock and can't go to sleep.

I live in Santiago, so I didn't get is as bad as an 8.8 magnitude earthquake... I think it's the 6th biggest earthquake ever.

It lasted about a whole minute and we've been having lots of replicas... the sensation was so so out of everything I've felt.. I was running down the stairs and placed one foot over an area, and when it landed on the floor it landed on a different place

lots of stuff got shattered, specially glass type

also my bedroom wall cracked and the paint peeled off, and my bed got brown with concrete wall dust

I hope my realtives are ok but the lights are off for the entire city

smurfx

get some go again
Rewrite said:
Really? Because I can understand their spanish perfectly and I don't think I have any Chilean friends nor family.

Well, they were going to show footage of injured people, but they're having problems broadcasting the footage.
yeah i can understand them just fine as well.

Dresden

jpderrida said:
hey guys I live in Chile... I'm still awake from the shock and can't go to sleep.

I live in Santiago, so I didn't get is as bad as an 8.8 magnitude earthquake... I think it's the 6th biggest earthquake ever.

It lasted about a whole minute and we've been having lots of replicas... the sensation was so so out of everything I've felt.. I was running down the stairs and placed one foot over an area, and when it landed on the floor it landed on a different place

also my bedroom wall cracked and the paint peeled off, and my bed got brown with concrete wall dust

Glad to hear you're safe, bro.

Reuters and MSNBC are claiming the quake was an 8.8. Fuck that's insane. Hopefully any gaffer in the area is okay.

BREAKING NEWS
msnbc.com news services
updated 9 minutes ago
SANTIAGO, Chile - A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake capable of tremendous damage struck central Chile early Saturday, shaking the capital for a minute and a half, collapsing buildings and setting off a tsunami.

President Michelle Bachelet said six people were killed and that more deaths were possible. Telephone and power lines were down, making a quick assessment of the damage difficult in the early morning darkness.

The quake hit 200 miles southwest of the capital, Santiago, at a depth of 22 miles at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. ET), the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The epicenter was just 70 miles from Concepcion, Chile's second-largest city, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river, and 60 miles from the ski town of Chillan, a gateway to Andean ski resorts that was destroyed in a 1939 earthquake.

An Associated Press Television News cameraman said some buildings collapsed in Santiago and power was out in parts of the city.

People streamed onto the streets of the Chilean capital, hugging each other and crying, a Reuters witness reported.

Phone lines were either down or busy, making confirmation of damage difficult elsewhere, especially further south toward the epicenter. The quake was felt in Argentina as well.

'A tsunami was generated'
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a warning for Chile and Peru, and a less-urgent tsunami watch for Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Antarctica.

"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the center said.

The U.S. west coast tsunami warning center said it did not expect a tsunami along the west of the U.S. or Canada but was continuing to monitor the situation.

An earthquake of magnitude 8 or over is classified as a "great" earthquake that can cause "tremendous damage," according to the USGS Web site. The earthquake that devastated Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince on Jan. 12 was rated at magnitude 7.0.

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile on May 22, 1960. The magnitude-9.5 quake killed 1,655 people and left 2 million homeless. The tsunami that it caused killed people in Hawaii, Japan and the Philippines and caused damage to the west coast of the United States.

Editor's note: This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Accident said:
That's not true. The only official report was from the president.

I hope it doesn't go higher than the mentioned 6... but yeah it'll be unimaginable for it not to go higher considering the magnitude.

scottnak

jpderrida said:

Yikes. Sounds insane... glad to hear you're ok though.

jpderrida said:

Glad you're okay. Make sure you turn off the gas if you don't have an auto cutoff. When the Northridge quake happened, my neighbors house leaked gas for hours until the morning. Luckily it didn't ignite.

lo escondido

DeathNote said:
released tension in the tectonic plates. yellowstone super volcano WILL errupt sooner or later. it's really in human's best interest to inhabit other planets.

man, poor people. so tragic.

look at the NASA budget thread....

lo escondido

FilosopherStoner said:
This guy on CNN is really trying to get people scared.

Wouldn't we know by now if there was a catastrophic tsunami?

1z3oshw.jpg

The ocean is really big. It takes some time.

FilosopherStoner said:

Yeah he's an idiot.

The fact that we've heard almost nothing from the epicenter is very troubling.

Oh shit the bridge on CNN right now.

El Sloth

Banned
FilosopherStoner said:

Apparently a Tsunami can take anywhere from minutes to hours to form and hit after an earthquake. I'm going to assume CNN guy was talking about Hawaii though.

Phone lines still down in Concepcion. Starting to get really worried for my cousin.

lo escondido

Are all these pictures just from Santiago?

God I would hate to see what Conception looks like :-/ this is awful

Masta_Killah said:
Glad you're okay. Make sure you turn off the gas if you don't have an auto cutoff. When the Northridge quake happened, my neighbors house leaked gas for hours until the morning. Luckily it didn't ignite.

I doubt his house has a gas hookup. Most gas in south america is delivered via refillable tanks, not direct lines.

Wow, theyre saying that the highway ramp bridge is probably going to fall soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom