• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 annouced (360/PS3/PC)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hopefully this is not old, with the search function still disabled I only went a few pages down the forum to check for this. Anyway, here is the PR:
New York, NY (February 3rd, 2010) – Atari, SA, one of the world’s most recognized videogame publishers, and much-acclaimed developer Eden Games, are proud to announce the newest installment in the legendary racing franchise with Test Drive® Unlimited 2 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 expands on the traditional racing experience providing gamers with M.O.O.R.®: Massively Open Online Racing®; immersing drivers in a persistent online environment and revolutionizing multiplayer racing communities as players compete, team up, and share their achievements and creations online. Unlike any other driving game, TDU2 blends the open world experience with realistic vehicles and performance dynamics and for the first time, TDU2 features vehicle damage, weather effects, day and night cycles, and a brand new island to explore.

The first Test Drive® Unlimited innovated the racing genre with an immersive online and offline experience - over 1 million players created online accounts. Test Drive Unlimited 2 blends the single player and multiplayer experiences seamlessly, creating a dynamic world of unique content and challenges. Test Drive Unlimited 2 is “always live,” with automatic updates and seamless online/offline integration. A revamped single player narrative mode can be played offline or as part of the multiplayer experience.

“After the highly successful Test Drive Unlimited which redefined the genre with massively open online racing, Test Drive Unlimited 2 will be an innovative evolution in racing games, expanding its unparalleled multiplayer experience and immersing players in a world full of new online content and lifestyle customization.” said Jeff Lapin, CEO of Atari, SA. “The game fits squarely into our strategy of moving online and generating new revenue streams while maintaining our current retail business.”

Test Drive Unlimited 2 puts the world’s most desirable vehicles in the players hands. These ultra-limited edition masterpieces are flawlessly replicated with Eden’s finely tuned driving technology. Players define their online persona through the customization of their vehicles, and the acquisition of property, clothing and all the accoutrements of a luxurious car-based lifestyle. The challenge comes to life with the most expansive and comprehensive multiplayer offering on the console and the ultimate refinement of the core Test Drive driving experience. All-new race types, vehicle classes, environmental challenges, locations and much more push this epic franchise to new levels of performance and luxury

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12325-1898_0001.jpg

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12325-1898_0002.jpg

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12325-1898_0003.jpg

Ephemeris

Finally.

Though I'm not sure how I missed that announcement from last month.:lol Oh well. Totally loved the first one.

Salacious Crumb

If they fix the handling of the last game, This could be something very special indeed. Great to see they're still supporting the PC too.

Here are some others images from the official site

w14lee.png

2qktq8w.png

Those are obviously real life shots though. But they should be from where this game is based on.

Nice, I loved the first one - sucks that it seems to be set in Hawaii again though, I would have loved for a new location. Somewhere like Corsica would have been perfect.

Weeee!!
Hope it doesn't suck balls.

Was almost positive this had gotten canned somewhere along the way. Glad to see them getting a second try at doing the fantastic concept justice.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Didn't unofficial shots from years(?) ago include pictures placing the game as taking place on the same island as the first one? Or maybe they were just sandboxing things before the new locale was in any decent shape.

Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, it's early in the morning.. :lol

Nevertheless, bring it on, absolutely loved the first one, despite its flaws.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
VibratingDonkey said:
Weeee!!
Hope it doesn't suck balls.

Was almost positive this had gotten canned somewhere along the way. Glad to see them getting a second try at doing the fantastic concept justice.
It almost got canned when the original TDU team at Eden basically all quit. Looks like they got some new people to replace them (or maybe it's the AitD team?)

AMUSIX

Really curious to see where this is...or if it's on more than one island (foliage in the first image looks distinctly different from the other two). The two teaser pics definitely suggest some place Mediterranean, though.

Still, I think it's going to be very difficult to find an island with Oahu's selection of roads, not to mention it's modernity. The supercars just felt at home there.

As for features I'd really like to see...the radio stations that got scrapped from the first one would be nice... :)

Jay Sosa

Blimblim said:
Hopefully this is not old, with the search function still disabled I only went a few pages down the forum to check for this. Anyway, here is the PR

google:
site:www.neogaf.com plus whatever you wanna search.

And yeah I'm pretty excited bout TDU 2, been somewhat dissapointed with the racing games this gen. Gimme something like Rage Racer (just a few cars, beatiful tracks but not too many) not some open world or simulation bs.

But got to be honest, a true follow up to Tokyo Extreme on the DC would get me more excited.

Bebpo

Banned
Cool. In concept I really liked TDU. I love the idea of a sandbox island that you can fully drive around and explore and also race in.

What I didn't like that much was the car handling. Too arcadey, but not Burnout or PGR quality of arcadey. If they can just improve the handling and physics, TDU2 can really be something special.

I'm still wondering why no one has attempted the TDU/Midnight Club model but with a sim engine like Forza or GT. A sandbox sim city to drive fancy cars around realistically at speeds you could never do in real life. With tuning and upgrading and racing as well.

cabottemp

Banned
The OP has left me moist and wanting. Loved Test Drive Unlimited, traded it in a couple years ago and wished I never had. Very much looking forward to this.

Used to play mad tdu and listen to 1up Yours all the time. Oh, the halcyon days of old!

AMUSIX

At least the 'drive all roads' achievement will be a hell of a lot easier to get :)

But, seriously, nice choice of a locale. Hopefully the smaller area translates into a more polished product.

VALIS

Yes! The most fun driving game of this gen is back!

And Ibiza would be sweet. Not that Hawaii isn't beautiful, but we've been there and done that.

I hope they make car management a little easier and I hope they keep the same nutzo, twitchy handling. It made every moment over 80mph tense. I don't want to be driving at 110mph and feel in control. I want to feel like one wrong jerk of the wheel will send me and my $500K car careening into a patch of palm trees.

a.wd

I think, yeah I think I am going to play the original for a little bit later...Handling wasn’t amazing but for a game that allowed you to just cruise around picking up chicks and generally acting like a spoilt millionaire kid there is not much like it.

Thank god this didn't get cancelled. I played the original all the time until my HDD died and took my almost 100% save with it, after that I just thought I'd wait for TDU2 instead of trying to get it all back.

Day one.

SmokyDave

Can't wait for this. The original is one of my top 3 games this gen. It's also the only game that I bought all the DLC for and was still wanting more. Day one for this bad boy.

MarkMclovin said:
Man, I still remember that crazy 40 minute race around the whole island.
I remember driving this race with a motorbike. Man my head was messed up afterwards. My sight had a sort of tunnelvision afterwards and my sense of speed was fucked up. I had to lie down before I continued playing :lol

DiscoJer

As strange as this sounds, this was probably my most played PSP game. Probably sank 100+ hours into that.

Then when I got a 360, I got it on that and was a bit disappointed. Had more content, but the driving model was a bit weird. Still fun, but seemed like the cars oversteered or something. And definitely helped greatly when they added the install option to the dashboard.

Probably won't be a PSP version this time around, but definitely looking forward to this on the 360, especially since it's on Ibiza, which is my life's dream to visit.

Hope it has a balearic trance channel on the radio (they could get Roger Shah to DJ it)

Top Bottom