• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 annouced (360/PS3/PC)

dankir

I played the hell out of the first game and never liked the driving model. Even with the hardcore mode it was still wasn't that great. Made so even more difficult with a steering wheel.

But it was great just driving up and down high ways and roads of the island challenging people.

Hope they make the necessary improvements.

yurinka

The first one added some cool ideas. Let's hope they still add innovation in this one.
I'm Spanish, so I love to see Ibiza.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
HOLY MOLY. This is officially my most anticipated game of 2010 now. I seriously loved the first one. If they can take the first game, update it to 2010 standards, and add a level of polish that wasn't in the first one, then this will be my GOTY.

B.K.

Sounds interesting. I always wanted to play the first one, but didn't have a network adapter for my PS2. It sounded like an interesting concept to me.

Holy shit, I played the first one to death so this is great news! Wonder if we get to stop off at a couple of mad parties at night in this one... :lol

gtmax

Bebpo said:
I'm still wondering why no one has attempted the TDU/Midnight Club model but with a sim engine like Forza or GT. A sandbox sim city to drive fancy cars around realistically at speeds you could never do in real life. With tuning and upgrading and racing as well.

I didn't believe in soulmates until today. Seriously, i've been screaming about that for at least ten years. How i wish Forza3 would throw a Tokyo HIghway as a DLC track...

Just because a game is set in a city doesn't mean it needs arcade physics. Day 1 for sure either way. Now on ps3+G25.

DiscoJer

gtmax said:
I didn't believe in soulmates until today. Seriously, i've been screaming about that for at least ten years. How i wish Forza3 would throw a Tokyo HIghway as a DLC track...

Just because a game is set in a city doesn't mean it needs arcade physics. Day 1 for sure either way. Now on ps3+G25.

Street Racing Syndicate. While it was far cry from Forza/GT quality physics, it was at least an attempt to be a realistic street racing game. People either didn't give it a chance, or said it was too slow.

Shaneus

Agreed that they should focus on the physics/handling... either make it more realistic (a la Forza/GT) or make it feel realistic, but fun (PGR4/Midnight Club).

On this shit day 1.

gtmax

DiscoJer said:
Street Racing Syndicate. While it was far cry from Forza/GT quality physics, it was at least an attempt to be a realistic street racing game. People either didn't give it a chance, or said it was too slow.

Got it. Beat it. Like most open city games, framerate was horrible. Wheel implemenation sucked.

Iknos

dankir said:
I played the hell out of the first game and never liked the driving model. Even with the hardcore mode it was still wasn't that great. Made so even more difficult with a steering wheel.

But it was great just driving up and down high ways and roads of the island challenging people.

Hope they make the necessary improvements.

Spot on.

I give it props for being open world and the online play concept was fantastic.

Cockpit view was great and I didn't realize it while playing but I've heard here that the cockpit view was adjustable.

Didn't like the handling myself but this game did so many things right I don't regret buying it.

Neftali

Neo Member
gtmax said:

Make that tri-mates... i have been wondering the same thing for years; i always said if i came into substantial amounts of legal tender that is one of the things i would do (in addition to Panzer Dragoon Saga/Advent Rising HD remakes & sequels)!!

Pooya

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12655-1898_0002.jpg

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12655-1898_0004.jpg

image_test_drive_unlimited_2-12655-1898_0007.jpg

more at gamersyde

SmokyDave

Can't wait. TDU is far and away my game of the gen, a glance at my tag (SmokiestDave) will show you that I can't put it down. Hoping for TDU PSP to show up on PSN as well. I'm amazed nobody else has stolen the concept. I loved the car handling. It wasn't very realistic but I could place the car to within a gnats hair of where I wanted it and weaving through traffic at 150mph was such a rush.

I hope this one has far more car delivery missions, I really enjoyed perfecting all of them and I was gutted when they were done.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AndyD said:
Maybe in terms of road distances?

yeah, thats what i'm thinking. probably a lot more drivable ground to cover then in the first despite a smaller area of land.

Oh my god, I'm salivating over that last image set at night. Weather and a day/night cycle were the only two things I thought that TDU was lacking, this is going to be sheer heaven when it is finally released.

besiktas1

cjelly said:
Hope they get the steering right this time... first game controlled horribly.
Yep pretty much. I wanted to like the 1st one soo bad but it handled like ass imo so just couldn't get into it. EDGE preview said they weren't aloud to get hands on because handling was the last thing Eden will be working on (para) to get it (hopefully) right. I would have been happier if they got handling right first then worked on adding extra shit in after.

Dynoro

Loved the first; and cannot wait to try this one out. Just messing around and driving round the island used to be so much fun; just hope they can do proper crashes this time :lol

very nice screens

Dynoro said:
Loved the first; and cannot wait to try this one out. Just messing around and driving round the island used to be so much fun; just hope they can do proper crashes this time :lol
hehe yeah, pretty weird physics overall in tdu1

Spasm

cjelly said:
Hope they get the steering right this time... first game controlled horribly.
I passed on the first game cause I couldn't use the right stick for throttle/brake in the demo. I even emailed Eden games about it, and they confirmed that that would not be supported in the full game.

Hope they correct this mistake for TDU2. Maybe I'll Email them again...

DuckRacer

Seems like TDU2 includes both Ibiza and Oahu!

http://www.testdriveunlimited2.com/faq
What is Test Drive Unlimited 2?
A:
A massively open online racer, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is the follow up game to the smash hit Test Drive Unlimited. The game is set in the Mediterranean island of Ibiza with over 2,000 miles of roadway and back roads. TDU2 is currently in development for the XBOX 360, Playstation 3, and the PC.
Oahu had 1000 miles of roadways, for comparison. So it looks like the 2k figure includes both islands.
Google Translation (German to switch English)

Preview GameStar 06/2010

04/24/2010, 22:15

The game magazine Gamestar had the opportunity to see the developers in Lyon on the shoulder. Since we have most things are already known, we will continue to jump directly to the further revelations.

- There are two islands (more)
- Free walk-in flats

o You can set up their homes not only himself but also in the first-person committing freely.

- Wash clouds of dust and mud tracks of the cars
- In addition to sun and rain storms, there is also to adult
- Improved physics

o Every car is different. Types of drives are now clearly distinguished compared - was an Audi TT (AWD) and a Ford Mustang Fastback (RWD)

o A new menu now displays information about the character
--- On the left you can see information about his character and an overview of the game progress
--- On the right you can see the game progress in the detail (how many challenges you win, what and how much you have collected, etc.)

http://tdu.gameprophets.com/content,28.html

Google Translation (German to switch English)

Test Drive Unlimted played on the island of O'ahu hawaiiianischen.
The second part then plays against on the Spanish island of Ibiza and O'ahu.
When you reach a certain level, you can commute by air between islands.

Due to the different landscapes we have the opportunity make our game so, as we want. Do we prefer to drive through narrow streets, we select Ibiza. Those who prefer wider streets chooses O'ahu. Both islands have their charms, so:

Ibiza:

Ibiza is a picturesque Mediterranean island. Here is a very high landscape diversity exists.
There are Mediterranean coastal town, curving mountain roads and desert areas.
To a large road network of about 900 Km. But you can not only ride paved trails, but also on off-road tracks. This was the first part would not be possible.

Ibiza is the third largest island in the Spanish autonomous region of Balearic Islands and the largest island of Ibiza and Formentera. Ibiza has an area of 572 square kilometers, is the capital Ibiza Town.

Together with the southern island of Formentera and numerous smaller islands and uninhabited rocks formed the islands of Ibiza and Formentera Ibiza. The official languages are Spanish (Castilian) and Catalan, which is prevalent on the Island Catalan dialect called Ibizans.

O'ahu:

The island from the first part offers more tropical landscapes. In addition to tropical landscapes, there were desert-like areas, individual villages or small towns and the capital of the island - Honolulu. O'ahu has a 1600 km wide road network. The road network was expanded in TDU2 slopes by newly added off-road.

Oahu is one of the eight main islands of the Hawaiian archipelago. It is called The Gathering Place. On Oahu is Honolulu, the capital of the State of Hawaii.

With 1557 square kilometers of Oahu is the third largest of the islands, just under 900,000 residents make up about 75 percent of the population of the state. Oahu is 64 km long and 42 km wide and is also the economic center of Hawaii. The coastline of the island is 336 kilometers.
Oahu is the result of two volcanoes, the Waianae and Koolau the, which are connected by a broad saddle with one another. The highest point of the saddle of Mount Kaala, with a height of 1220 meters above sea level.

The island is mountainous and reaches Mount Kaala at an altitude of 1225 meters. Honolulu extends over most of Oahu, outside the city are pineapple and sugar cane cultivation.
Quote:
If you want to go to O´ahu you have to reach a certain level.
You have the option to fly from Ibiza to O´ahu.
One of these levels you´ve got to reach:
- Complete all challenges
- Complete the cruising part
- Complete the social part

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Yes, but can you drive from Ibiza to Oahu? No? Sorry, not impressed.
Dude

Underwater open world racing. I like it.

Spasm said:
I passed on the first game cause I couldn't use the right stick for throttle/brake in the demo. I even emailed Eden games about it, and they confirmed that that would not be supported in the full game.

Hope they correct this mistake for TDU2. Maybe I'll Email them again...
I don't remember weird controls like that.

Those numbers are 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, and 42. That's pretty damn close to the numbers from Lost (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42). Which is filmed in Oahu, Hawaii.

bjork

2 islands? Awesome. I dunno how much I like the "complete all social aspects" requirement, though. When I played this on 360, I could never actually connect with my friends. I'd see them on the map, they'd see me on the map, but we could be parked in the same parking lot and not see each other in our games.

That was my only gripe with the game aside from challenges being insanely tough because of all the Rain Man types living on the game and putting the times way out of reach. I wish there were tiers for stuff like that.

amar212

Diablohead said:
ormozn.jpg

4 8 12 16 24 42

Doubt it's a code but a left over from the map of some kind.

Those are also location (latutude-longitude) numbers for great plain area in Central African Republic.

SmokyDave said:
I hope this one has far more car delivery missions, I really enjoyed perfecting all of them and I was gutted when they were done.
You're not the only one! The delivery missions were fantastic, especially the last few kilometeres my hands usually were sweating around the steering wheel. I always wanted to perfect them! :D

derFeef

Cruising around for hours with a buddy was where TDU really shined for me. It was all kind of awesome. It was like posing with cars in real life. Travling through the streets in super low-speed :D Heck, we even halted at the traffic lights and stuff.

I can not wait for this. Too bad the PC version got no love :(

ResidentDante said:
You're not the only one! The delivery missions were fantastic, especially the last few kilometeres my hands usually were sweating around the steering wheel. I always wanted to perfect them! :D

I loved how the delivery missions were constantly teasing you. Being given a really fast car early in the game and told to drive a long distance without hitting anything, it was always a fine balancing act. The temptation to floor it was immense, but then you risked hitting something and losing money, however if you drove slowly it would take an eternity to reach your destination.

Delivery missions were fantastic. The only game that has had me driving a car as I would in real life when in dashboard view, trying to look past a car in front to make sure it was safe to overtake.

Would be amazing if Oahu was definitely back in the game along with Ibiza.
Day 1 purchase regardless.

Top Bottom