• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 annouced (360/PS3/PC)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ResidentDante said:
I remember driving this race with a motorbike. Man my head was messed up afterwards. My sight had a sort of tunnelvision afterwards and my sense of speed was fucked up. I had to lie down before I continued playing :lol
Used to drive that once or twice daily for quite a while to get that 5000 mile achievement (or was it 8000?). :D

Think I'm still sitting at around 950/1000, for not having finished the 6th tier of (extremely irritating) missions. :lol

bjork

Yes. This is awesome news. TDU1 is my favorite game of this gen, easily. It was so cool to come home from work and just cruise around for like an hour and pick off races as I went. I remember having connection issues on my XBL so I could never get most of the multiplayer achieves, but I got all the single player ones. Pretty much had a blast with this game.

It's also my most purchased... 3x for 360, twice on PSP, and once on PS2. :lol

Can't wait for part 2. Hopefully this PC will run it, even at minimum settings I'll enjoy iy.

I always wanted to play the first one, sounded cool, like the freedom and stuff.

I'll have to put the sequel on my radar perhaps now.

GONz

Now that I think about it, wasn't there an announcement for TDU2 several months ago? I think it was focused on off-road racing (which I don't really want for this franchise...) Also, any word on the motorcycles?

I also though this was already known. But its good now its official, puts it in a closer perspective. I'll be getting it for my younger brother. He looooves arcade racers.

I rented the first game because while the US got a cheaper release price for it, we had to fork out the full next-gen £60 for it at the time, man the first few years of 360 gaming were expensive compared to now.

If they can fix the ugly looking people, the semi pointless cut scenes when you enter your home and some other tweaks I would be greatly interested.

AMUSIX said:
Well, there goes my list of 'possible islands by size' I was making :)

Still, would have liked to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife be used...

Ibiza's cool, but much, much smaller than Oahu....(571.04 km² vs 1,545.4 km²)
I can see them squeezing more stuff into a smaller area or releasing DLC islands, or something.

WingM@n

Awesome , Ibiza is were I have spend a lot of time . I know the island very well, my parents live there a few months in the year. I hope they can recreate the Ibiza vibe.

painey

I recently went back to TDU after 3 years and I love the vibe, but the controls are really, really horrible. I hope this one controls better and then I will probably sink a lot of time into it.

SWEET. Finally it was announced. I was afraid they were going to cancel the game as some people had suggested the development had major issues.

By the way, it says theres a new Island but from what I've read (from a year ago) they should still have Oahu in it as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
The Test Drive Unlimited franchise has the potential to be one of the greatest racing franchises ever made, but unfortunately, they are probably going to stick to the arcade-like handling model, taking much of the potential 'immersion' out of it.

Liberty4all

Banned
TDU was some of the best non FPS fun I've had this console gen. I always felt the game was very underrated ... it was one of the first games this gen to really show what the 360 is capable of.

SlayrUK

HELL YES

The first one was the reason I first bought my 360, all those years ago.

Just loved being able to drive around Oahu, go wherever and 'sightsee' (albeit virtually)

This announcement gets me excited...

Dynoro

Ibiza is an interesting choice if it turns out to be true. Cannot wait though; I put so many hours into TDU on the 360 (even tried it on the PC too - but that was horridly ported)

zaxor0

So I never played the first one, but it always looked interesting and fun. How was the physics in the last one? Is it more realistic or more arcade-y? Could I expect the same for this one?

derFeef

zaxor0 said:
So I never played the first one, but it always looked interesting and fun. How was the physics in the last one? Is it more realistic or more arcade-y? Could I expect the same for this one?
I would compare it to midnight club if my mind does not trick me. I only played it on the PC but it was a good mix of arcade and sim. more on the arcade side though.

I really enjoyed the first TDU. Though, for some reason, it was the fastest burnout (pun!) ever for racing games among my friends, we all kinda dumped it at the same time in favor of something else. Nobody can remember why either, since everyone was having fun with TDU. :)

Curious what location they'll pick this time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is gonna be mine!

Arucardo

As long as the driving physics really are improved and the roads aren't as rough as they were in the first one (some mountain roads were horrible) I'm definitely interested in this sequel.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nice. I'd like to see them break the mold a bit and add more classic cars to the roster. I'm sick of driving the same cars over and over again.

But, since I'm a racing whore, I'll be buying this.

DuckRacer

Holy shit yes. I feared this was cancelled, soooo glad it isn't. Hopefully it releases this year.
AMUSIX said:
As for features I'd really like to see...the radio stations that got scrapped from the first one would be nice... :)
What happened with that?

Blablurn

owned the first one on psp. feels like ages since i played it. goddamn. this generation feels sooo long, but i like it.

Awesome, loved the 1st one... In my opinion it was a much better game than Burnout Paradise (comparison based on both of them being multiplayer open world racing games).

Burai

shitonmychest57
WingM@n said:
Awesome , Ibiza is were I have spend a lot of time . I know the island very well, my parents live there a few months in the year. I hope they can recreate the Ibiza vibe.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Caught crabs off some fat girl who's name you can't remember - 20G

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nice to see so many others have the same feeling on TDU1. Everytime I get that urge to want to go to Hawaii, I can pop in the game and drive around for awhile. Ibiza looks pretty cool, though does it have any mountain ranges??

I hope one day in the future, on a future console, a new version of Oahu gets made, to photorealistic quality.

jlevel13

The screenshots / bullshots don't look all that great (just like the last game), but hopefully the final product will end up a little more polished after all this time. The last game was pretty fun and had some really good ideas, a 2 should be an improvement.

I wonder if it is coming out this year? It seems like we are getting kinda crowded with arcade racers now... Blur, Split Second, the Criterion Need for Speed and now TDU 2?

Dennis

Banned
YES!

This is fantastic news. Test Drive Unlimited was one of the best racers ever. Why? Because it was open-world.

Open-world makes everything better. All games should be open-world.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ibiza should be much more interesting then hawaii to race and drive around IMO. looking forward to this

AMUSIX

DuckRacer said:
What happened with that?
I'm not sure...it was all a part of their 'persistant world' thing, but got scrapped. Just one of those things that get lost on the way to release date.

As for music, purely for the cheeze factor, this needs to be the opening theme...or at the very least, have it playing over the muzak system when you're at the airport:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXRHpVed3M
(I had never seen that video before....those are big cartoon boobs...and they keep focusing on them....)

Also, judging by the teaser images, it looks like true night time is going to be included, which is awesome.

On a side note, someone needs to resurrect Motor City Online as Test Drive Unlimited 3, complete with auction houses, and diners/parking lots where we can show off our cars.

bridegur

Players define their online persona through the customization of their vehicles, and the acquisition of property, clothing and all the accoutrements of a luxurious car-based lifestyle.

Asshole: The Game.

I never played the first, but this looks promising. Always nice to see arcade racers not based in boring urban environments.

Top Bottom