• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrkgoo said:
I actually made the mistake of buying all the games I liked that I already played. They were my favourite games on the iPhone, but they're 'just' up-rezzed on the iPad. I don't regret having them, but they are a bit too expensive for what they are. My favourites happen to be Scrbble and Tetris, just because they are staples and fun to play.

I'm still sticking with Tris for my Tetris fix; but the touch controls don't seem to scale up as well as they should.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:
That reminds me, the zombies are on my fucking ROOF now! WTF? That's not cool.

I love that game, but I do wish it ramped up in difficulty a little more. PvZ looks fantastic on the iPad though.

AstroLad said:
There are a lot of products I like (I own every console, for starters). The difference between I and GAF is that I actually focus on the value of the product to me rather than the brand or what other people will think of me. This is why I find threads like this one and the $300 jeans thread hilarious. Only on GAF....

To be honest though, no offense to anyone of course, but I think most people here are more like Steve Wozniak. They go for what they think is cool, not what others think will make them cool. I mean, just looking at the posts here there are people who don't want to bring their iPad's out in public for various reasons. I think the "hipsters" will latch on to the iPad soon but the early adopters don't really fit into this category.

Plus, on just a small little side track to your other comment on the jeans, yeah, it seems like a lot to most of us but I know a lot of people who can't believe how much we all spend on TV's, games, etc... they just assume a cheap HDTV is just as well as a nice Sharp or whatever the best TV's are right now.

Just my 2 cents.

mrkgoo

Nazgul_Hunter said:
I'm still sticking with Tris for my Tetris fix; but the touch controls don't seem to scale up as well as they should.

I couldn't stand tris. The real tetris was very solid on the iPhone, barring that it didn't have an endless mode.

Tetris for iPad fixes that, adds d-pad controls as an option, and supposedly the original tetris music (although I haven't encountered it while playing a game yet).

verbum

AstroLad said:
To me, the iPad is just another Apple product that people will pay an exorbitant premium for in order to look like hipsters (read: douchebags). The "I'm a Mac" ads are literally the coupe of the century in terms of getting impressionable kids to blindly drop wads of money they don't have on a brand. Miley Cyrus must be envious.

If the iPad had any other branding (even, gasp!, "M$" branding), all of GAF would literally be laughing at it and its many huge flaws would be front and center instead of being pooh-poohed away any time they are even casually or tangentially referenced.

Look, I own an iTouch before anyone accuses me of being a hater. To me, almost all of this Apple crap is the perfect symbol of where America's at today.

And I don't mean that in a good way....

I'm a big Mac. Kind of cheesey, I know.

Gary Whitta said:
That reminds me, the zombies are on my fucking ROOF now! WTF? That's not cool.

They took our front yards, and we stood by. They took our pools, and we stood by. Now, we are on our final battleground, the roof. If we lose now, there is no tomorrow. For honor, for victory, for plants and people everywhere!

This is by far one of the best iDevice games I have played since owning an original iPod Touch 32GB. I've played the hell out of it. Well worth the $9.99 price tag.

Tobor said:
True, that will be my day 1 purchase. You still enjoying it?

Yep. Combat could be a bit more interactive and strategic, although learning to use the right weapons in combination is kind of fun.

I upgraded to a new ship last night, I think it is my third or fourth, and it is a mobile weapons platform. Could use more cargo space, but it's faster and has better more than twice the shielding of my last ship, and when pirates or other aliens attack me now, I can take on three or four ships at once without breaking a sweat. I discovered a new weapon last night that pretty much takes out small fighters in a single shot too. Very satisfying. :D

LCfiner

Gary Whitta said:
Hey where's a good place for iPad wallpapers? I imagine there will be an app soon but until then...

there are already a coupe apps, actually. I saw them featured in the top 25 free apps. I think they're under entertainment of lifestyle.

mrkgoo

Let's post some home screens (or did someone try this already and decide this was a pad idea?):

b5fd678bc4a4b00c77d4de9cef1111c6.png

494059b5e2cd84ffd914bb55d219d872.png

teiresias

I just tried an iPad in the local Apple store. When I decided to leave without buying one the employees all started calling me sub-human trash that shouldn't be allowed to be stealing precious life-giving oxygen from Steve Jobs' atmosphere. This one blonde chick was in tears and throwing magic mice at me, and this other guy started stabbing out his eyes with one of those iphone stylus things saying the sight of someone as decrepit and reprehensible as one who won't buy an iPad made him rather be completely blind to the world.

I was trapped against the wall - surrounded by the mob of employees. By this time rabid fans who had just been customers had also joined the mob. I quickly grabbed an iphone display and an ipad display - ripping them from their tethers. This enraged them more - "Your filth shall not touch the iPad", "Leave it be infidel", "He sullies it, he sullies it!!".

Luckily in their state of agitation I had time to download a flashlight app to the iphone. Holding the iPad like a shield and the iPhone below it and facing backwards toward the iPad I activated the flahlight app creating a blinding glare before me that pierced the store.

The mob grabbed their faces, crying out "It is the light of Jobs!! Jobs glow blinds me for it is magical!!" I was able to force them away as I pressed forward, iPad before me the glare of it's non-eink screen providing me safe passage.

Finally I reached the door and began to run for my life. Unfortunately, mall goers behind me were caught in the fray as the fanboys and employees poured out of the store - now free from the Jobs glare's power - and began doing all kinds of horrible things I couldn't bear to watch.

I'm just glad I made it home alright.

teiresias said:
I just tried an iPad in the local Apple store. When I decided to leave without buying one the employees all started calling me sub-human trash that shouldn't be allowed to be stealing precious life-giving oxygen from Steve Jobs' atmosphere. This one blonde chick was in tears and throwing magic mice at me, and this other guy started stabbing out his eyes with one of those iphone stylus things saying the sight of someone as decrepit and reprehensible as one who won't buy an iPad made him rather be completely blind to the world.

I was trapped against the wall - surrounded by the mob of employees. By this time rabid fans who had just been customers had also joined the mob. I quickly grabbed an iphone display and an ipad display - ripping them from their tethers. This enraged them more - "Your filth shall not touch the iPad", "Leave it be infidel", "He sullies it, he sullies it!!".

Luckily in their state of agitation I had time to download a flashlight app to the iphone. Holding the iPad like a shield and the iPhone below it and facing backwards toward the iPad I activated the flahlight app creating a blinding glare before me that pierced the store.

The mob grabbed their faces, crying out "It is the light of Jobs!! Jobs glow blinds me for it is magical!!" I was able to force them away as I pressed forward, iPad before me the glare of it's non-eink screen providing me safe passage.

Finally I reached the door and began to run for my life. Unfortunately, mall goers behind me were caught in the fray as the fanboys and employees poured out of the store - now free from the Jobs glare's power - and began doing all kinds of horrible things I couldn't bear to watch.

But you are already part of the cult. You had your iPhone.

teiresias said:

It could have been worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

I second the question about tower defense games - I also overdid it on Fieldrunners and I'm looking for something in the vein of Geo Defense Swarm. Although now that I have a big enough screen for precise motion, I might actually be able to play normal Geo Defense... gonna check that out.

teiresias said:

You'll be back. They all come back.

verbum

UBS analyst Maynard Um is raising is March quarter iPhone sales estimate from 7 million units up to 7.5 million, and he’s also bumping up his iPad sales estimates for the year to 2.1 million units in fiscal 2010 and 4.6 million in 2011. Mr. Um is raising his estimates based on higher than expected demand in the U.S. and overseas.

“Although we remain bullish on the long term evolution of the iPad into the central console for the home, over the near and medium-term, until we see more compelling apps to drive mass market adoption, we prefer to be cautious on overall adoption,” Mr. Um said.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ubs_raises_aapl_estimates_on_iphone_ipad_sales_projections/

Not bad first year sales if those figures hold up. The US economy seems to be picking up a little now, so the timing of the release of the Ipad seems to have been very lucky for Apple.
Meanwhile, I'm feeling a bit of an iPad hangover today, guess the "new gadget high" has subsided.

scorcho said:
platitudes like this crack me up - http://db.tidbits.com/article/11152

that's a whole lot of paragraphs to advocate the joys of running single applications in fullscreen mode on a large-ish display.
Multi-tasking is brilliant in almost every way, but when it comes to staying on-task it's the worst kind of poison for people like me who are big procrastinator/ADD types.

If there was a Mac program that forced single-tasking, shutting off my access to all other programs other than the one I'm supposed to be working on for a set period of time, I would download and use it. A lot of writers I know use Freedom, which shuts off their internet for a specified period so they can't get distracted by email/web, I might look into that.

Vinci

Danish
Gary Whitta said:
Multi-tasking is brilliant in almost every way, but when it comes to staying on-task it's the worst kind of poison for people like me who are big procrastinator/ADD types.

If there was a Mac program that forced single-tasking, shutting off my access to all other programs other than the one I'm supposed to be working on for a set period of time, I would download and use it. A lot of writers I know use Freedom, which shuts off their internet for a specified period so they can't get distracted by email/web, I might look into that.

That's some serious self-control issue. :lol Well, whatever works right?

LCfiner

Gary Whitta said:

WRITEROOM

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:

That would be great. I'm a consultant who works at home and it is very easy to get distracted, like right now for instance!

I have a question and I'm sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but how well (if at all) could the i-pad act as a Waycom style drawing tablet? I'd love to run Photoshop on it and draw directly to the screen.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Suuuup Astro! Just don't get banned in here, We gotta get our Madden game done whenever we advance this week.

On Topic. I do have a craving to get one, but I know that the 1st gen is the one that's going to have the issues, and that future versions will have some improvements. And having already gotten an iTouch, plus a Motorola Droid...I don't know how many similar pieces of tech I can use!

teiresias said:

0/2 stars.

Gary Whitta said:

I wonder if you could create a separate profile on your mac that only allowed you to use your word processor?

Blackhead

Redarse
Gary Whitta said:

Mac OS X's Hidden Single-Application Mode is what I use

LCfiner

I'll post my homescreen when I get back home.
till then i was wondering if folks could list what they've done to the dock. you can now have 6 apps there. do you fill it up. what apps have you placed in your dock.

for me:

Safari
mail
things
Netnewswire
iPod

two non-apple apps in the dock. never did that with the iPhone. also, I don't have 6 apps down there like i thought I would. felt too busy, especially in portrait mode with only 4 app columns above it.

I noticed a 3 app dock in a post above. any particular reason for that?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh yeah, to the people that call Astro "Poor", they're wrong.

Simply because, he is a guy who will join in on a Madden Draft, via the website...from...

airplane_in_sky1.jpg

That's Commitment.

That's gotta be pricey too.

I really want to buy a game but I'll just wait it out. I'm not paying $8-10 for something that will eventually go on sale for $.99. I've been burned before, nevermore, nevermore.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lonestar said:
Oh yeah, to the people that call Astro "Poor", they're wrong.
:lol thanks. I just ignore it at this point. How many times on the gaming side has someone called me a Nintendo hater or a Sony hater only to get owned when they find out I own a Wii, DSi, PS3, and PSP?

I work in IT sales (one of the largest re-sellers in the US, not Dell) and apple is requiring we all get certified to even sell ipad's. They haven't required this of any other product we sell.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Mine:
photo-7.png
photo3.png

...now that I've posted this, I just realized that there's no reason to have the iPod app in the dock, as I'll only be using videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom