• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrkgoo said:
Aren't you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Weren't you previously making the point that the iPad had no place alongside a laptop or phone, and now that it does have a place, you're now saying that there are too many 'places'?

Just accept that everyone will want it for a different use, and that that place exists for some people and that it doesn't for others, and also at different extents depending on the user needs.

Think of it like the whole photography thing - there's a range of equipment that all basically do the same things, but vary in the execution of those things. Some lenses are much better quality, but heavier less portable. A general wide-tele zoom is very convenient, but sacrifices quality for versatility.

There's no right or wrong, just what people have a use for.

No, my point has always been limited viability because it does not replace anything. It only adds another device to the mix. The second that you make this addition automatically limits its market viability. A phone these days is a necessity, a laptop or some form of computer is practically a necessity. An iPad at this point is an option because it doesn't replace either of those two devices.

I've never said that nobody will want it or that nobody will find a use for it. That has never been my stance or argument. I know some people will, but it's the larger population in general that I think it won't catch on and it'll become nowhere close to the success of the iPhone or iPod.

At that point it becomes more of a niche than mainstream product, just kinda like the Apple TV and that alone limits it being a "game changer"

Personally, it looks like a great comic book reader and I may just pick one up for that sole purpose alone but that doesn't change my view in overall success and viability among the masses.

numble

Marty Chinn said:
No, my point has always been limited viability because it does not replace anything. It only adds another device to the mix. The second that you make this addition automatically limits its market viability. A phone these days is a necessity, a laptop or some form of computer is practically a necessity. An iPad at this point is an option because it doesn't replace either of those two devices.

I've never said that nobody will want it or that nobody will find a use for it. That has never been my stance or argument. I know some people will, but it's the larger population in general that I think it won't catch on and it'll become nowhere close to the success of the iPhone or iPod.

At that point it becomes more of a niche than mainstream product, just kinda like the Apple TV and that alone limits it being a "game changer"

Personally, it looks like a great comic book reader and I may just pick one up for that sole purpose alone but that doesn't change my view in overall success and viability among the masses.
What are your sales projections?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got the perfect little stand for this thing, a photo easel, $5 at Target. Whoever mentioned it in the previous pages, brilliant suggestion.

2aee960f.jpg

mrkgoo

Marty Chinn said:

I think the whole point is that everybody WILL find their own use for it, and thus it will be successful. I never try to speculate on what defines a device as 'successful' (ie vs. iPod or AppleTV or whatever), as I'm terrible at it. I just define a device as successful it I enjoy it, and it's enjoyed by enough people that there is strong support for it by the developers such that content is abundant.

I didn't say that you said nobody will find a use for it. I think it will be a very viable product because it replaces the laptop/phone for CERTAIN things. To say that it doesn't replace these entirely is being unimaginative and short-sighted. A new product doesn't have to replace existing ones to be 'successful'.

I don't know how much of a game-changer it is, because I still think we're all in the phase of LOOKING for uses for it. Once the dust settles, and all our devices are just sitting on the table, the ones we reach for then will be telling. Right now, I'm mostly reaching for the iPad because it's new.

However, the iPad for me is automatically a better PDF and book viewer than my laptop or phone. It's not as good at word processing, or on-the-go-, but does a admirable job at both, just as the other devices don't do a great job at certain things. Depending on my situation, the iPad actually becomes better at most things, for example, in bed.

Also, one of my main purposes, the iPad is one of the BEST digital photo viewers available. Portable, gorgeous screen, fast, and most importantly, has that WOW-factor.

mrkgoo

Marty Chinn said:
I also predicted the success of the iPhone.

*clap, clap*

Come on, predictions really mean crap all. (I'm only saying this, because all my predictions turn out to be false).

LCfiner

Marty Chinn said:

Well, to be fair, apple is selling it as a third device and seems to think that there's a big enough market for a third device.

it still syncs to a real computer, it still requires a real computer for os updates.

I think the difference between your pov and the people who are more bullish on the ipad is that, in the future, we could use these satellite devices MORE THAN our real computers.

There's no reason why we can't have ipads or similar tablets around the house for the majority of email, reading, video stuff that we do now and then have a laptop or desktop around for more "serious" things like making a house budget, doing taxes, editing home video, etc... A couple times a year.

Apple seems to be betting on this type of scenario. I think it's a valid pov, too. It might not work for you but there's lots of people for whom the limitations of the tablet are not enough to stop them from using it for the majoriry of their computer activity.

outsidah

Marty Chinn said:
This is the point I've been trying to emphasize since the device was announced. The problem the iPad will have is convincing people to buy it on the basis that it won't replace anything, won't merge anything together, but will be an extra additional device that goes along with all your other devices. That right there is a problem on the market viability of it. With something of this significant price, people don't pick up $500 additional devices to go along with their laptops or desktops usually. They will pick one or the other, not both and seeing as the iPad is more limiting, I see people getting that laptop or desktop instead given the choice of having to pick one. And let's face it, the mass consumers in general, the option is to only pick one unlike Apple's core fanbase and tech geeks.

I think you may under estimate the power of the Apple logo (as sad as that might be). People are buzzing about this thing tech geeks, apple nerds or not. Apple has managed to capture the "mainstream" with their devices so I can see people carving out a space for this device.

People seem to be ready to drop $500 on tech much more readily than they used to a couple of years ago.

mrkgoo

giga said:
Articles for 99 cents is a great deal.

I don't want to needlessly spend money like I'm currently doing. 99c sales are going to be the death of me. What puts Articles over the Free Wikipanion, which I enjoy a lot?

Sqorgar

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Couldn't you have said the same stuff about the iPod, and it changed more than a few games. And technically the iPhone, since it wasn't like the other smart phones didn't also have video and weather and stocks. What was so game changing about that? And yet, here we are.

There's a place for the iPad in my life - multiple, in fact (I have young children who will be needing their own computers sooner than later). I think people will be surprised how easily it slips into your comfort zone. I know its cliche, but you can't understand unless you've experienced it.

teiresias

The only people that actively look for uses for products are Apple fanboys who need to justify buying everything Steve Jobs feeds them.

mattiewheels said:
I got the perfect little stand for this thing, a photo easel, $5 at Target. Whoever mentioned it in the previous pages, brilliant suggestion.

2aee960f.jpg

I'll end up buying one of those as a dock. :lol

Don't have an iPad yet, but this is going to be my lock screen. I may fade it out a little and make it my home screen as well (so it looks like the pixel art wallpaper on the iPad Engadget used in their review). It's taken from the TRON Legacy alternate reality game. There are 54 different videogame references in this poster.

To get it into the proper resolution, I had to crop a tiny bit off of the top and the bottom, and I also had to compress it a little vertically from 1050pz to 1024px (couldn't crop any more of I would have removed the light cycles at the bottom and the asteroids at the top). It's not really noticeable, thankfully.

tronworldipad.png

If anybody wants to take a stab at making a better version, here is the original. http://shogungamer.com/sites/defaul...cs/arcade-aid-solutions/arcade-aid-poster.png

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone else thinks Apple need to do some re-branding with their apps? I mean, we got iTunes, the place to buy music and more, the App store, place to buy apps, and then we have the generic apps which are used to view what you bought in those stores (photo, ipod, video etc).. I'd love for them to first redo the store, into the Apple[logo] Store with subsections in there for music (itunes), books (ibooks), and videos (iwhatever). Plus i'd like basic media editing, i.e. iPhoto, iMovie etc. Plus the iPod app should be renamed to simply music, having the logo be an iPod is enough tbh..

Remy

see5harp said:
Off topic but GeoWars2 is $5 on 360 this week. I'd get that over the iPad version.

I just want to point out in case anyone is confused: GeoWars Touch is almost a complete GeoWars2. It has Deadline, King, Evolved, Pacifism, Waves, and Sequence (albeit only 15 levels). It also has a new mode specifically for the iPad, Titans.

It also has the same leaderboard functionality the 360 version does, albeit without friends lists (yet).

I keep seeing posts where people act like it's an overpriced port of GeoWars1, and it's absolutely not.

RubxQub said:
I took a screen shot of the Green Hornet #1 that Kevin Smith wrote and release recently from the Comic app.

Nothing online sadly :(

I can try and post the picture, but I had to blow it up and move it around a bit to get it to work alright within the UI.

Woops, actually meant the other screen. The green hornet one is nice too though :D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Articles is on sale for 99 cents because the developer thinks it's not good enough yet for full price.
Anyone been using Articles? What don't you think they're happy with about it?

teiresias

mrkgoo said:
Really? The ONLY people?

People have a need and buy a product to fill it. Apple fans buy an Apple product because they're told to and they're rabid and then retroactively come up with reasons to need it.

giga

giga said:
Articles for 99 cents is a great deal.
It's just gorgeous. Doesn't have all the features out there but I'm a sucker for pretty.

It's also why I like Weather Station Pro. It only has a small subset of all the features that other weather apps has, but what it does, it does really well and cleanly.

I use my heavy and bulky 3 year old macbook for web surfing and document creation which are two things the iPad can do well. There's a place for it in some of our lives.

Ripclawe

Banned
mattiewheels said:

If you are going to use that get the one with a wider base and thicker material.

see5harp

Remy said:
I just want to point out in case anyone is confused: GeoWars Touch is almost a complete GeoWars2. It has Deadline, King, Evolved, Pacifism, Waves, and Sequence (albeit only 15 levels). It also has a new mode specifically for the iPad, Titans.

It also has the same leaderboard functionality the 360 version does, albeit without friends lists (yet).

I keep seeing posts where people act like it's an overpriced port of GeoWars1, and it's absolutely not.

I'm not suggesting that the iPad version is not a full game or not worth the money. I've heard it's basically the 360 version for iPad. Just if you haven't yet played geo wars 2 on 360, it's well worth your $5.

Mrbob

How is ipad battery life playing games...better than the touch?

I have a 3G 32gb touch, and my biggest disappointment with it is how it sucks battery life dry during gaming. I turn off all non necessary features too to help conserve battery time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Picked up:

Walking Dead #1, #2
Tank Girl: Ashley Wood version 1, 2, 3

So far I like the Comics app more than the Marvel app mostly because i'm not a big fan of their books. Marvel still has higher quality pages imo.

Also I'm really loving the Etrade, NPR and Reuters apps, can't believe they're free.

I think people saying that it's not a replacement for a phone or computer have the wrong idea. Apple wants the Ipad to replace Periodicals, Books, Radio, and TV the same way the Ipod replaced cd players for music.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
teiresias said:
People have a need and buy a product to fill it. Apple fans buy an Apple product because they're told to and they're rabid and then retroactively come up with reasons to need it.

I think the problem I have is when people paint everyone who buys any apple product as an Apple fan. I agree that fanboys of all types are annoying, but just buying something doesn't make you a fanboy. Liking something and telling others that you like it doesn't make you a fanboy.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Mrbob said:
How is ipad battery life playing games...better than the touch?

I have a 3G 32gb touch, and my biggest disappointment with it is how it sucks battery life dry during gaming. I turn off all non necessary features too to help conserve battery time.
I haven't played a game on it for massive blocks of time, but I'd suspect you'd get 6 hours vs the quoted 10.

RubxQub said:
Apparently the components alone cost about $260:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/07...level-ipad-component-cost-estimate-up-to-260/

Knowing that, I wouldn't expect the price of this to be much less than $400.

With the size and quality of the screen, and the solid aluminum back casing, no, it's not something you can sell for less than $400. But that's with Apple's "extras".

LCfiner said:
I don't think you're crazy expecting a Linux driven version of this device to cost ~300 in a year or two. I thought you were crazy to expect the ipad itself to cost 200 in less than a year.

teardowns estimate the parts in the ipad to be around $260 (16 GB, i think). That could drop down below 200 very soon and some other competitors can reduce that further with other cost cutting measures (less aluminum, cheaper construction methods). Then the lower cost of using Linux with a UI that took less manpower and dollars to design plus there'll be companies willing to lower their margins to sell a tablet and, BAM, 300 dollar tablet before 2010 is out.

I don't think Apple will ever sell an iPad that costs less than 400. I think they'll be happy to stay the 500 price point for a long time.

I'd hoped that it'd be somewhat obvious that me wanting iPad for $200 was a shtick on my part and not being serious... Having said that, the core hardware functionalities of the iPad can be done right now for less than $300 by someone else while making profit (not 50% margin like Apple, but still a working profit).

mrkgoo

teiresias said:

While I don't totally disagree, I think it's a pretty wide generalisation to make. I think there is a part that is right, but I guess there's a fine line between the so-called 'making a category' (Apple-speak), and just being different, and letting the audience make up reasons.

giga said:
It's just gorgeous. Doesn't have all the features out there but I'm a sucker for pretty.

It's also why I like Weather Station Pro. It only has a small subset of all the features that other weather apps has, but what it does, it does really well and cleanly.

I agree mostly. Wikipanion is elegant in its simplicity, however. As I noted, I also purchased Weather Station Pro and use it over Weatherbug for the simplicity and effectiveness.

Sqorgar

Banned
StrikerObi said:
To get it into the proper resolution, I had to crop a tiny bit off of the top and the bottom, and I also had to compress it a little vertically from 1050pz to 1024px (couldn't crop any more of I would have removed the light cycles at the bottom and the asteroids at the top). It's not really noticeable, thankfully.
Never compress pixel art. Crop, but never compress. Pixel art is created at the pixel level - every pixel is deliberately placed. You can't shrink it without murdering what makes it awesome. Also, only scale by whole numbers (2x, 3x, 4x) and never use anti-aliasing. Respect the pixel art and it will respect you.

Tobor

kaching said:
It's got two batteries each the size of a touch, so I'd hope so.

I've heard 6 hours of solid gaming, which is impressive.

Shogmaster said:
With the size and quality of the screen, and the solid aluminum back casing, no, it's not something you can sell for less than $400. But that's with Apple's "extras".

I'd hoped that it'd be somewhat obvious that me wanting iPad for $200 was a shtick on my part and not being serious... Having said that, the core hardware functionalities of the iPad can be done right now for less than $300 by someone else while making profit (not 50% margin like Apple, but still a working profit).

Very true, but as we both know, hardware is less than half the story. Until MS steps up with Windows Phone 7, I'm not expecting much in the way of competition.

Trouble

Banned
Shogmaster said:
There's a lot more than raw component cost. Apple spends about half a BILLION dollars per year on R&D. Then there's manufacturing, shipping, marketing, support, etc.

People freak out when they see component costs, but that doesn't mean they are making $240 in profit on each unit.

Tobor said:
I've heard 6 hours of solid gaming, which is impressive.

Warpgate, which is easily the most taxing game that I own for the iPad, definitely eats into the battery life faster than typical use, but I'd guess I can still get in the 7-8 hour range for battery life playing it.

Also, letting the trolls back in this thread is grating, even if they're just doing it for fun and have tongues firmly planted in their cheeks.

Trouble said:
There's a lot more than raw component cost. Apple spends about half a BILLION dollars per year on R&D. Then there's manufacturing, shipping, marketing, support, etc.

People freak out when they see component costs, but that doesn't mean they are making $240 in profit on each unit.
All depends on how they keep the books I guess. ;)

The cost of development for the iPad will be spread out through iPhone/iPod Touch also.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Also, letting the trolls back in this thread is grating, even if they're just doing it for fun and have tongues firmly planted in their cheeks.

no u

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Warpgate, which is easily the most taxing game that I own for the iPad, definitely eats into the battery life faster than typical use, but I'd guess I can still get in the 7-8 hour range for battery life playing it.

Ehh, they will cease as long as folks ignore them. I give it a few days until they leave. Tomorrow will be interesting with 4.0 being revealed. I am very excited.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Some do, some don't. I'm not going to bother responding to the ones who don't.

Burger

teiresias said:

And the people who create avatars like the one you are sporting, are people who feel very threatened by Apples success, and do everything they can to justify their irrational fears.

Sqorgar said:
Never compress pixel art. Crop, but never compress. Pixel art is created at the pixel level - every pixel is deliberately placed. You can't shrink it without murdering what makes it awesome. Also, only scale by whole numbers (2x, 3x, 4x) and never use anti-aliasing. Respect the pixel art and it will respect you.

A choice had to be made. Respect the pixels or respect the art. I chose to keep everything in view rather than keeping the pixels perfect but losing some (important areas) of the art.

StrikerObi said:
Don't have an iPad yet, but this is going to be my lock screen. I may fade it out a little and make it my home screen as well (so it looks like the pixel art wallpaper on the iPad Engadget used in their review). It's taken from the TRON Legacy alternate reality game. There are 54 different videogame references in this poster.

tronworldipad.png

If anybody wants to take a stab at making a better version, here is the original. http://shogungamer.com/sites/defaul...cs/arcade-aid-solutions/arcade-aid-poster.png

The irony is you can't play that on an iPad :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
StrikerObi said:
A choice had to be made. Respect the pixels or respect the art. I chose to keep everything in view rather than keeping the pixels perfect but losing some (important areas) of the art.
Also, you want your wallpapers to be 1024 x 1024 so that they will work in both landscape and portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom