• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GDC 2010 Thread

Tiktaalik

Sakamoto also inspired and moved by the films of Luc Besson (Leon); John Woo (A Better Tomorrow), Brian De Palma (Carrie)

“I have great admiration for these directors, but it’s not like I have a complex about it or try to become one." -- Sakamoto

"To be honest, I am not a movie fanatic. However films have opened my eyes to techniques that can bring a story to life." -- Sakamoto

"The techniques for designing comedic games is very similar to the techniques used to create serious/scary games." - Sakamoto

IMG_0001.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Sexy.

Tiktaalik

WHOA

Tomodachi collection created the Miis idea!! It wasn't that Tomodachi collection came after.

"When Iwata saw Sakamoto's team working on Tomodachi Collection, he reassigned them to Miyamoto's Wii staff for a while for Miis."

DarkWish

Magypsy23 said:
http://press.nintendo.com/GDC2010/index.html

Is the Spirit Tracks zip 404'ing for anyone else?
Yes, that and multiple other ones for me.

Also, Sakamoto talked about Other M a few minutes ago...

"I tell the story of Samus as a young girl and reveal her relationship with Adam, but that’s just a portion of Other M.”

Other M is "the synthesis of all the knowhow I’ve acquired and the culmination of all the things I’ve been envisioning..."

Sakamoto "firmly objected" to Nunchuk use in Other M when Team Ninja suggested it. Thus it uses only the remote.

EDIT: More on Metroid from twitter...

"They wanted Samus to work on a rail, but used a way to make the Wii remote without joystick, to create a 3D experience w/ snappy 2D feel"

"Nintendo also work with D-Rockets and Taiyo Kimkaku to create Storyboards by Mr. Ryuzi Kitaura. Groups focused on CG and Soundtrack prod"

"Mr. Kuniaki Haishima worked on the Music for Metroid: Other M. Yoshio seems like he picked the ideal group to work with on this title. "

"Jessica Martin is the voice actor for Samus. They worked with other many studios, too many to list. Code Name: Project M."

EDIT:
I think it's over now. Well that's disappointing, there was nothing new :(

They did talk about Friend Collection for the DS, so maybe that's coming to the US? Not sure though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Usually when Keighley hypes something up it ends up being a real bummer .

so I guess this will be a megaton.

Tiktaalik

DarkWish said:

They did talk about Friend Collection for the DS, so maybe that's coming to the US? Not sure though.

Keep in mind this isn't E3. The point of his talk was not to announce new things. That said I hope a journalist was there to cover what he discussed in more detail. Hopefully there could be some articles and interviews to come out of this talk.

Regarding Tomodachi/Friend Collection I think NoA would be utterly foolish to not release it in NA. The game has been a massive success in Japan, and Sakamoto said that the title was initially designed to appeal to girls, and that's a massive growth market for Nintendo that they've been actively courting.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DarkWish said:
EDIT:

It sold + 3M in Japan and is still selling a western release is certain at this point...

DarkWish

Tiktaalik said:
Keep in mind this isn't E3. The point of his talk was not to announce new things.
Yea, I know but this is the first year in a while that we didn't get any announcements at GDC...

2009: Spirit Tracks announced, Virtual Console Arcade, Wii Menu 4.0
2008: Wii Fit and WiiWare release dates, Pay & Play announced
2007: New Super Mario Galaxy trailer, first details on Check Mii Out Channel
2006: Phantom Hourglass announced

Now I know that Nintendo's presence was much more limited this year, but I thought we'd at least get something, like a new Metroid trailer.

DarkWish said:
Yea, I know but this is the first year in a while that we didn't get any announcements at GDC...

Now I know that Nintendo's presence was much more limited this year, but I thought we'd at least get something, like a new Metroid trailer.

Well, we got hands on and a new trailer before GDC.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DarkWish said:
They just had their spring media summit though. I wouldnt expect anything big but will there be something new on gametrailer tv ? maybe this other m trailer ?

Just watched the opening movie of Metroid: Other M at a GDC presentation. The video starts right at the end of Super Metroid where the giant Metroid grabs the last boss, complete with 2D sprites. In the middle the graphics suddenly switch and show the scene in 3D and Samus’ perspective. In 3D, the one eyed boss spews fire, the giant Metroid explodes, Samus falls to the ground, faces the player, and shoots.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/11/metroid-other-m-picks-up-where-super-metroid-ends-literally/

darkwings

Banned
DarkWish said:

You forgot 2005 new Zelda TP trailer

DarkWish

cw_sasuke said:
They just had their spring media summit though. I wouldnt expect anything big but will there be something new on gametrailer tv ? maybe this other m trailer ?
Yea, but we didn't get to see the opening cinematic that they showed at the Media Summit, so I assumed they held that until GDC, but I guess not. And that new trailer is just part of the intro combined with the ending to Super Metroid since it's the same scene. Nothing new really.

I guess I just thought we'd get one new announcement or something, but apparently we have to wait until E3. We're long overdue for a firmware update or a new Wii Channel as well.

EDIT:
darkwings said:
You forgot 2005 new Zelda TP trailer
I know, I just didn't go back that far. I figured four years was enough to make my point.

cw_sasuke said:

Interesting.
That's different from the opening movie they showed at the Spring Conference.

Does anyone know if any studios are going to releasing their presentations or PDFs online after the conference? I love reading all this technical stuff.

jonyet

Neo Member
yea so what happened to valves presence at GDC? no one has mentioned them. it's like they announced all that portal 2 stuff and mac stuff without giving us the much desired anticipation of hearing them announce it tonight!

i feel robbed.

take portal 2 back i don't want it anymore.

[edit] looks like gabe teased about ep 3 shipping date during award acceptance at ceremony: he was talking about the Rat Man identity....Who Is G-Man?....and then When Will Ep 3 ship...after that BSOD happened on overhead and glad0s said "press any key to flood the building with a deadly neurotoxin"

apparently this screen was also an addition to the ARG we all enjoyed last week? no pics posted yet.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
30ivrxe.jpg

screenshot is 720p? i thought Wii only did 480p...

also... wtf is with the color depth? looks like it's 8bit or 16bit o_O

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Overheard at GDC: Insomniac's new studio working on a multiplatform title?

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077376p1.html

The company, best known for the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance franchises, is allegedly creating cross-platform software for both PS3 and Xbox 360, according to a trusted source who spoke with IGN under the condition of anonymity.

Insomniac Games has enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with Sony, but remains an independent studio, which affords it the right to create games for any platform should it choose. The company is based in Burbank, California. Earlier this year, Insomniac Games expanded its resources when it opened a new studio in North Carolina.

We contacted Sony for comment but the company was unable to respond before publish time.

Insomniac Games' president Ted Price said only that the developer does not comment on rumors and speculation.

A lot of people have been speculating about this for some time, but I guess this is a little more fuel for that fire.

Top Bottom