• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GDC 2010 Thread

Picture-31.png

http://gdconf.com/

Date:

March 9 - 13, 2010

Place:

San Francisco (Moscone Center)

Event Guide:

Track Keynotes:

From Metroid to Tomodachi Collection to WarioWare: Different Approaches for Different Audiences
Speaker: Yoshio Sakamoto (Nintendo)

Designing for Performance, Scalability & Reliability: StarCraft II's Approach
Speaker: Dominic Filion (Blizzard Entertainment)

The Art Direction of Batman Arkham Asylum: Rebooting a Super Hero Video Game IP
Speaker: David Hego (Rocksteady)

Things to Unlearn Moving From Traditional Development to the New Digital World
Speaker: Neil Young (ngmoco:))

Creating Successful Social Games: Understanding Player Behavior
Speaker: Mark Skaggs (Zynga)

As Long as the Audio is Fun, the Game Will Be Too
Speaker: Akira Yamaoka (Grasshopper Manufacture Studio)

March 9th

IPhone Games Summit

Time: (today)

5:30 - 7:30 pm

GDC Mobile/ Handheld Summit

March 10th

Sony Keynote

Time: (Tomorrow)

7PM EST
4PM PST
6PM CST

Being streamed live at G4TV.com/sonygdc or http://www.ustream.tv/channel/playstation-gdc-press-conference-2010

March 11th

March 12th

Sid Meier
"The Psychology of Game Design (Everything You Know Is Wrong)."

Friday, March 12, 10:30-11:30am

March 13th

Summary of Event News

Sony

Sony to bring PhyreEngine to PSP

Sony announce PSN as 'first' online video network offering pay-to-own HD movies from all major studios
Tiger Woods '11 announced; with Sony Motion Controller support

Nintendo

Microsoft

XNA 4.0 to be shown at GDC + Windows 7 Mobile Live integration

Apple

Other

Steam coming to Mac

Rockband 3 announced; coming this holiday
38 Studios partners with EA for RPG
Unity Technologies announces version 3.0 of its browser-based engine; brings support for iPad, PS3 and Android
ATi brings free access to Pixelux DMM physics engine

Rumor Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388850

ezekial45

Banned
Dammit! I wish i could've gone this year.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to the Sony Keynote the most. I want to see more of this "Arc" in action.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Upcoming Epic thread is Epic.

Let's keep the hype up to unbearable levels until tomorrow!!! Sony is going to bring that hot fire!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So is this the thread for all the PR crap coming from the show? I get the feeling any attempt at discussions on lectures, roundtables, etc would get lost in here. Speaking of, anyone know what Will Wright is talking about this year?

Mindlog

besiktas1 said:
what's the GMT for Sony conference?

Midnight.

00:00

XiaNaphryz said:
So is this the thread for all the PR crap coming from the show? I get the feeling any attempt at discussions on lectures, roundtables, etc would get lost in here. Speaking of, anyone know what Will Wright is talking about this year?

indubitably
I do not know what time Will Wright will be speaking.

Will video of Sony Keynote be available for viewing after the event is over? Its 4.30 in the morning where I live so wont be able to watch it live.

XiaNaphryz said:

I will try to post all the news in the summary thread for easy access. A mod may fill in if I don't do it fast enough.

Garjon

Superb, was waiting for someone to make this thread ;)

Also didn't Epic announce new features for Unreal Engine?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
XiaNaphryz said:

Catch-all thread here. For collecting together any news, and for posting news that may not warrant its own thread.

Can still post news and session talk/info in their own threads of course!

Between this thread the and the ApocalyPS3 thread, I'm genuinely convinced there are people who never learned about time zones.

SamBishop

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Sam. Do you have any insider info on the new Bourne game from Starbreeze/EA? Any chance of the game being at GDC? :D

Nada, mang, sorry. There are still studios who haven't yet announced their projects, though -- studios that apparently are so secretive about it they don't want to be named as showing stuff off. Unless the embargoes are ridiculous, I'd expect some interesting revelations in a few days (if not a few hours). Soo... Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but hopefully there will be something else that piques your interest.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I can't wait to get up to SF for this. I think I get more and more excited for GDC each year.

Though I usually am not thinking about the pain each morning entails. That's what Dottie's is for though!

Hi Sam Bishop - we need to hang d00d.

Tiktaalik

Gamasutra wrote up an article about the Facebook keynote. Here's a few segments:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ynote_Discusses_True_MultiPlatform_Gaming.php

GDC: Facebook Keynote Discusses True Multi-Platform Gaming

Gareth Davis’ GDC Social Gaming Summit keynote was a mixture of old and new, but his larger takeaway was the potential future of cross-platform gaming, based around your friends.

Now that Facebook is available on iPhone, consoles, desktops, and other devices, Davis envisions a future in which developers will tailor content to specific device. You could be playing a different aspect of a single game universe on iphone compared to someone who’s playing on console, with another person on desktop or web playing something strategic – but everyone’s playing the same game. This has long been a dream of a certain set of developers, and Davis poses that the Facebook platform could make it a reality. Not that all of the games would run on Facebook, but they could use the platform to communicate with each other.

One interesting future-looking aspect of Facebook is the use of identity in games, taking players’ profile pictures, hiring on friends, and the like. “Every [traditional] video game I’ve played, it was absolutely nothing about me,” David said. “I was totally anonymous. A Facebook game is different.” It can know age, name, face, friends, and he says there are lots of opportunities there, like tuning a sports game to know what college you graduated from, and your favorite sports team.

“Imagine a game where the story includes my real-world relationships,” he continued. “Imagine I’m rescuing a loved one, and the characters look like people I know,” and items are based on things you know and like.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Snowballo said:
Sorry mate but i don't get it.
Wrote in that way, it seems that FIRST is a service similar to Youtube...
My bad?

They just mean Sony is shouting "FIRST!" in doing this.

Sony video delivery service doesn't really have a name as it is part of the whole PlayStation Store offerings. You can call it PlayStation Video Store if you like.

Corto

Snowballo said:
Sorry mate but i don't get it.
Wrote in that way, it seems that FIRST is a service similar to Youtube...
My bad?

The writer in that part of the text is just saying that Sony can scream "FIRST" as some of the commenters on youtube annoyingly post when commenting on videos. Then the rest of the first paragraph takes all doubt that that is the case:

an announcement that claims the PlayStation Network is the first online service to sell high-definition movies from all the major movie studios: Universal, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Walt Disney, Warner Bros and, of course, Sony Pictures.

Top Bottom