• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unwritten rule of privacy in a restaurant booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docpan

Why do people frequent restaurants? Beyond the obvious answer of getting delicious food delivered right to their fucking face, people use restaurants to facilitate the need to socialize with other, accompanying individuals in a relaxed, no-pressure environment. People go in, sit in their designated area, converse with the person or persons they are with, eat some goddamn food, and leave. In other words, privacy is of the utmost importance, unless you are at the bar area, or are some kind of anti-social weirdo who eats at these places alone. My time with the person I am with is very valuable, and if anyone FUCKS with that (outside of the occasional intrusions by a waiter/waitress), I am not a happy camper. Pretty common sense stuff, right? That's what I thought.

So tonight I was at a nice steakhouse with some chick I scoped out last week at work. This would be our first real "sit-down" conversation together, so making a good first impression was extremely important to me. After all, I read that physical attraction isn't what really gets girls hooked in, anyways. That's why I SPECIFICALLY asked for a booth.

Now, everyone knows that the booth isn't technically separated from the rest of the room. Sometimes there are little side-barriers between them, but in this case there were not. Even still, the booth allows for a much more intimate, comfortable conversation that is 'separated' from the surrounding noise in the room. When I'm seated in the chair lounge, I always feel inclined to lean in closer to the person I'm talking to really instill that sense of privacy. But with a booth, I'm king of the fucking castle.

So here we are, sitting in the booth, sipping on some margaritas and chattin' it up about her cousin or uncle or whoever the fuck it is that has a nice house in Florida. She's one of those girls who trails off about whatever for seemingly hours on end. Whatever, she's still hot. I'm playing with my empty salad plate, trying to scrounge up enough scraps to fit onto the fork and shove into my mouth because my goddamn steak was taking too long to get to me. At any rate, I'm getting antsy, and I end up looking across the room to soak in the scenery. A picture here, a nice ass there. As my aimless vision shoot towards my immediate left at the row of booths on the opposite side, I am met with a pair of beady, fixated eyes pointed in my direction. This was not a glaze, not a glance, but a fucking STARE.

At first, it caught me completely off-guard, and kind of freaked me out. For starters, it was a dude. A dude I've never seen before in my entire life. Second, his body was positioned in such a way that he was literally almost facing me. Third, there was someone sitting opposite from him, whom he was clearly ignoring.

The first thing I did was look behind me, to see if there was anyone there that he might be looking at. I turned back and he was still looking. No body language, just blank staring. What the flying FUCK? Now, even in the off chance that he DID recognize me, his next logical step should have been to either wave or give a thumbs up, or even a middle finger. The fact that he just SAT THERE like a mindless derelict was enough to set me off. He was breaking all the unwritten laws of booth privacy.

Long story short, I interrupted the girl's ramblings after about 10 minutes of peeking over and seeing him still locked in my direction. She said that he was probably looking at the TV at the other end of the bar, which ended up being right. However, the TV was 1) located at an extremely far distance from his position, making his viewing area un-optimal, and 2) it was disturbing my privacy. In other words: UN-FUCKING-ACCEPTABLE.

Now, the whole making a good first impression on the girl thing was on my mind the whole time, so I waited until she went to the bathroom to say something. This is how it played out, more or less. Keep in mind that I was essentially yelling due to our proximity to each other.

Me: "Hey!"
Him, confused: "?"
Me: "What's your problem?"
Him, glancing around like a retard: "Just watchin' the game. Why do you care?"
Me: "Why don't you go sit at the fucking bar if you're just gonna stare like that. You're ruining my dinner."
Him: "Because I like the booth.... Mind your business, etc. etc."

Now I was fucking pissed. Really pissed. I wanted to shove his head through the goddamn TV that he was so dead-set on watching. Not just for the rudeness of his intrusion, but because he was playing the dumb card and pretending not to notice my visual cues of unhappiness throughout the entire course of the meal. Nothing sets me off more than a dickhead, who tries to turn it around on me and make ME seem like the dickhead.

Of course, right at that moment where I was really about to let him have it, the date walked back and I had to suck up my pride, though I did get in one last "Fuck you!" to let him know my feelings.

You know, if this was a fucking slop-chute piece of shit joint, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But the fact of the matter is I came there to enjoy some privacy, and this schmuck disregarded the entire package that goes along with the "restaurant experience." He faced the wrong direction, he ignored his company, and he ruined someone else's experience in the process. If I ever run into this guy again, and he pulls the same card-- it's going outside.

The bottom line is this: respect the booth!!

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Bro... I clicked your tag and it took me to a thread that looked exactly like the OP for this one. I was so confused, it took me a second to realize what the hell was going on.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is great. I didn't notice the poster, read up to the confrontation, said "wait a minute!" Scrolled back up and sure enough. Docpan. :lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
With every thread you make, I am more and more convinced that you are the most repugnant person on GAF. If even half of these are true you need psychological treatment. You are not well.

Alfarif

Finally finished the OP. :lol :lol You do know that you don't have to work to keep your tag, right? It's kind of there once you have it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
These are always a joy.

How do you think them up? I'm seriously envious.

Docpan

So wait, let me get this straight, just so I have it right. You guys actually think it was OKAY for him to stare across the fucking room, through my direction, for the ENTIRE meal? He was blatantly in my peripheral vision the entire time.

I couldn't NOT notice him.

Secondly, I'm a dickhead because I brought it to his attention. Just because I'm Docpan, I don't have the right to privacy during a meal?

How would that work for you?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
:lol
Docpan said:
You know, if this was a fucking slop-chute piece of shit joint, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
You're right, Boston Pizza has definitely gotten better.

Tapiozona

Banned
One day I hope I get to be at the receiving end of one of Docpan's make-believe FUCKIN KICK YOUR FACE IN stories. My life would be complete...well not really since he makes it all up but still.

Dresden

Docpan said:
So wait, let me get this straight, just so I have it right. You guys actually think it was OKAY for him to stare across the fucking room, through my direction, for the ENTIRE meal? He was blatantly in my peripheral vision the entire time.

the boy who cried wolf, etc, etc

fpbhbs.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Dude, that's life.

If by some remarkable twist of nature this girl wishes to continue dating you, there are plenty more opportunities to have stareless dinners.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The story is real = the OP is pathetic

The story is a fake joke poster thing = the OP is pathetic

Docpan said:

Secondly, I'm a dickhead because I brought it to his attention. Just because I'm Docpan, I don't have the right to privacy during a meal?

Like he cares about whatever you can see. He was looking at the game. Evidently HE COULD SEE IT JUST FINE because he didn't turn away. Who cares if he was looking in your direction, he wasn't looking at you.

You're the aspie.

way more

Can you draw a chart because I really don't see the problem.

You're the aspie.

Aspie threads are the best. Aspie posts about how he is so mad at some jerk and everyone points out that with even the barest of social grace the situation could be avoided.

Long live the GAF aspies!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Docpan said:

:lol

You yelled across a restaurant at a guy who probably hadn't even noticed you existed prior to it. Of course you're the dickhead.

Alfarif

mac said:
Can you draw a chart because I really don't see the problem.

If said chart doesn't include barrel rolls of awesome, I'm going to be SO disappointed.

Docpan

Dastardly Jerks said:
Like he cares about whatever you can see. He was looking at the game. Evidently HE COULD SEE IT JUST FINE because he didn't turn away. Who cares if he was looking in your direction, he wasn't looking at you.

You're the aspie.

If he wanted to watch the game, he could have sat the FUCKING bar. The entire purpose of the booth is to converse with the person IN FRONT of you. Notice the seat isn't on a swivel for you to dick around and look at something else. He had to physically tilt his entire body and sit at an angle, which had to have been uncomfortable, to watch a game where the players must have looked like ants from his position.

That was my entire point. He fucked with my dinner, and he obviously didn't give a shit about his, so why not let him have it? And I was man enough to suck it up until the girl left the room....

Would you have bitched out and not said anything? Part of what I was paying for was the privacy!

DarK SouL

You sound like a douchebag. If you wanted "privacy" (Privacy in a public place? WTF?) you should have stayed in your home.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I appreciate Docpan's vigor and genuine belief that he was in the right. Keep posting these threads, I'll keep reading them.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Docpan said:

It's pretty simple. He didn't see you. He was watching the TV.

Me: "Why don't you go sit at the fucking bar if you're just gonna stare like that. You're ruining my dinner."
Him: "Because I like the booth.... Mind your business, etc. etc."

Now I was fucking pissed. Really pissed. I wanted to shove his head through the goddamn TV that he was so dead-set on watching. Not just for the rudeness of his intrusion, but because he was playing the dumb card and pretending not to notice my visual cues of unhappiness throughout the entire course of the meal. Nothing sets me off more than a dickhead, who tries to turn it around on me and make ME seem like the dickhead.​

He didn't see you. Why would he know that some guy he didn't see was glowering at him rather than eating or paying attention to his date?

Docpan said:
If he wanted to watch the game, he could have sat the FUCKING bar. The entire purpose of the booth is to converse with the person IN FRONT of you. Notice the seat isn't on a swivel for you to dick around and look at something else. He had to physically tilt his entire body and sit at an angle, which had to have been uncomfortable, to watch a game where the players must have looked like ants from his position.

That was my entire point. He fucked with my dinner, and he obviously didn't give a shit about his, so why not let him have it? And I was man enough to suck it up until the girl left the room....

Would you have bitched out and not said anything? Part of what I was paying for was the privacy!

fuck you're right, what was I thinking? You should've beat him into a weepy senseless mess like your other imaginary friend.

Foxix Von

MIMIC said:
He was ruining your dinner? :lol Personally, that's not something that would get me all riled up.

I'm really hoping this is some sort of joke thread. I mean... really if it's true, he's really the one who invaded on the other guys "booth privacy" and then came and bitched about it because he wasn't mature enough to simply mind his own business.

Edit:

Docpan said:

No, you're paying for a meal and service. I do believe you lose your privacy when you're in public. He didn't "fuck" with you're dinner he was looking at tv. Really if anything you're the one that invaded his "privacy" and more than likely ruined his meal.

I love you GAF, please never change! Everytime someone posts a rant on here it backires all over their face lol. But to the op, that sucks bro, but uh... Cool story? Lol (I really did say that)

Docpan said:

Yes.

Docpan said:

Yes.

Docpan said:

It works for the general public all the time. You're in a public space. If you wanted privacy I'd suggest moving to a private space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom