• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unwritten rule of privacy in a restaurant booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docpan said:
ir1f0g.jpg
That's all I can see when reading the OP.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Boogie9IGN said:
I can't wait till you do this to the wrong guy and get your ass handed to you
I'd wager that that happens all the time, but docpan's not making those threads.

Docpan said:
If he wanted to watch the game, he could have sat the FUCKING bar. The entire purpose of the booth is to converse with the person IN FRONT of you. Notice the seat isn't on a swivel for you to dick around and look at something else. He had to physically tilt his entire body and sit at an angle, which had to have been uncomfortable, to watch a game where the players must have looked like ants from his position.

That was my entire point. He fucked with my dinner, and he obviously didn't give a shit about his, so why not let him have it? And I was man enough to suck it up until the girl left the room....

Would you have bitched out and not said anything? Part of what I was paying for was the privacy!

I would've looked at him, looked across my shoulder and noticed a TV playing a sport.. :lol it's just common sense, Aspie.

Booths are just places you go to sit at and be in the presence of those you came to dinner with. What you do in that space is your own business. The host/ess that sits you down doesn't go "WOULD THYNE ENJOY A FINE SPORT VIEWING WITH THYNE SUPPER?" Nah uh.

I hope you learn a valuable lesson from all of this.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Beardz said:
Tell me about it, you ignored me all night!.
I text'd you about the movie but you didn't want to see it! You just kept on going on about going out for dinner.

Docpan

MCX said:
Nice steakhouses don't have TVs, or booths for that matter.

Ok, then it was a mid-range steakhouse. In other words, it is a place I go to that is fairly quiet, a step above Outback both in taste and in price, and a place where I expect to be treated right.

I will give you guys the argument that he was not intentionally ruining my dinner at first.

But, consider this. And actually, truly consider this without throwing the "oh it's Docpan lol roids" argument.

You're watching the game. It may be across the room, and you may have to tilt your head to get past the guy blocking your view, but you're watching the game. Five minutes into this, the guy who is blocking your view is repeatedly and BLATANTLY glancing in your direction, as if to give you a hint to knock it the fuck out. There is literally no way you cannot notice him.

You are now blatantly ignoring him. You are ignoring a fellow paying customer, who deserves respect just as much as you do. It's clear your meal or whatever you want to call it is over. You can easily move to the bar and continue the game watching (with a much better view!), but you choose not to do so. You are essentially saying "FUCK YOU!" to the guy who is distracted by you, without physically doing so.

This is what got me. The guy HAD TO HAVE SEEN ME. It would have been so easy to ask to be moved to the bar. 30-45 minutes after I began trying to give him the hint, he never so much as gave a fuck.

That's why I called him out on it. When I see bullshit, I don't let it slide. This, my friends, was bullshit.

JDSN

Banned
So you basically didnt give a fuck about the girl, decided to focus your attention on a male that was looking on your direction and became obsessed with him.

I started reading the story and two sentences in I thought 'Please be DocPan'. My eyes glanced over to the left of the screen and a smile spread across my face.

Docpan has to be a gag account. This one was just too fucking obvious.

Foxix Von

Docpan said:
Ok, then it was a mid-range steakhouse. In other words, it is a place I go to that is fairly quiet, a step above Outback both in taste and in price, and a place where I expect to be treated right.

I will give you guys the argument that he was not intentionally ruining my dinner at first.

But, consider this. And actually, truly consider this without throwing the "oh it's Docpan lol roids" argument.

You're watching the game. It may be across the room, and you may have to tilt your head to get past the guy blocking your view, but you're watching the game. Five minutes into this, the guy who is blocking your view is repeatedly and BLATANTLY glancing in your direction, as if to give you a hint to knock it the fuck out. There is literally no way you cannot notice him.

You are now blatantly ignoring him. You are ignoring a fellow paying customer, who deserves respect just as much as you do. It's clear your meal or whatever you want to call it is over. You can easily move to the bar and continue the game watching (with a much better view!), but you choose not to do so. You are essentially saying "FUCK YOU!" to the guy who is distracted by you, without physically doing so.

This is what got me. The guy HAD TO HAVE SEEN ME. It would have been so easy to ask to be moved to the bar. 30-45 minutes after I began trying to give him the hint, he never so much as gave a fuck.

That's why I called him out on it. When I see bullshit, I don't let it slide. This, my friends, was bullshit.

In all honesty I would probably just wonder "what the fuck is that guy looking at" and try to look around him as I would be doing nothing to intentionally perturb the individual glaring at me.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Docpan said:

I laugh at that guy and hope it makes him so mad he makes a rage post on the internet and gets laughed at some more.

I finished reading the OP and the tone sounded kind of familiar, so I was thinking and hmmm...scroll up...of course its Docpan. Where have you been man? I haven't seen a post from you in a while.

I always like to think your stories are true, because that would be pretty hilarious. Of course they're not, but I would like to do something to piss you off sometime. It would be great.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Freshmaker said:
Building security owned him pretty hard during the elevator incident.
Oh yeah, that's the one where he sprinted down a flight of stairs and almost attacked some dude for not holding an elevator right? I need to reread that one.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Docpan said:
Why do people frequent restaurants? Beyond the obvious answer of getting delicious food delivered right to their fucking face, people use restaurants to facilitate the need to socialize with other, accompanying individuals in a relaxed, no-pressure environment. People go in, sit in their designated area, converse with the person or persons they are with, eat some goddamn food, and leave. In other words, privacy is of the utmost importance, unless you are at the bar area, or are some kind of anti-social weirdo who eats at these places alone. My time with the person I am with is very valuable, and if anyone FUCKS with that (outside of the occasional intrusions by a waiter/waitress), I am not a happy camper. Pretty common sense stuff, right? That's what I thought.

So tonight I was at a nice steakhouse with some chick I scoped out last week at work. This would be our first real "sit-down" conversation together, so making a good first impression was extremely important to me. After all, I read that physical attraction isn't what really gets girls hooked in, anyways. That's why I SPECIFICALLY asked for a booth.

Now, everyone knows that the booth isn't technically separated from the rest of the room. Sometimes there are little side-barriers between them, but in this case there were not. Even still, the booth allows for a much more intimate, comfortable conversation that is 'separated' from the surrounding noise in the room. When I'm seated in the chair lounge, I always feel inclined to lean in closer to the person I'm talking to really instill that sense of privacy. But with a booth, I'm king of the fucking castle.

So here we are, sitting in the booth, sipping on some margaritas and chattin' it up about her cousin or uncle or whoever the fuck it is that has a nice house in Florida. She's one of those girls who trails off about whatever for seemingly hours on end. Whatever, she's still hot. I'm playing with my empty salad plate, trying to scrounge up enough scraps to fit onto the fork and shove into my mouth because my goddamn steak was taking too long to get to me. At any rate, I'm getting antsy, and I end up looking across the room to soak in the scenery. A picture here, a nice ass there. As my aimless vision shoot towards my immediate left at the row of booths on the opposite side, I am met with a pair of beady, fixated eyes pointed in my direction. This was not a glaze, not a glance, but a fucking STARE.

At first, it caught me completely off-guard, and kind of freaked me out. For starters, it was a dude. A dude I've never seen before in my entire life. Second, his body was positioned in such a way that he was literally almost facing me. Third, there was someone sitting opposite from him, whom he was clearly ignoring.

The first thing I did was look behind me, to see if there was anyone there that he might be looking at. I turned back and he was still looking. No body language, just blank staring. What the flying FUCK? Now, even in the off chance that he DID recognize me, his next logical step should have been to either wave or give a thumbs up, or even a middle finger. The fact that he just SAT THERE like a mindless derelict was enough to set me off. He was breaking all the unwritten laws of booth privacy.

Long story short, I interrupted the girl's ramblings after about 10 minutes of peeking over and seeing him still locked in my direction. She said that he was probably looking at the TV at the other end of the bar, which ended up being right. However, the TV was 1) located at an extremely far distance from his position, making his viewing area un-optimal, and 2) it was disturbing my privacy. In other words: UN-FUCKING-ACCEPTABLE.

Now, the whole making a good first impression on the girl thing was on my mind the whole time, so I waited until she went to the bathroom to say something. This is how it played out, more or less. Keep in mind that I was essentially yelling due to our proximity to each other.

Me: "Hey!"
Him, confused: "?"
Me: "What's your problem?"
Him, glancing around like a retard: "Just watchin' the game. Why do you care?"
Me: "Why don't you go sit at the fucking bar if you're just gonna stare like that. You're ruining my dinner."
Him: "Because I like the booth.... Mind your business, etc. etc."

Now I was fucking pissed. Really pissed. I wanted to shove his head through the goddamn TV that he was so dead-set on watching. Not just for the rudeness of his intrusion, but because he was playing the dumb card and pretending not to notice my visual cues of unhappiness throughout the entire course of the meal. Nothing sets me off more than a dickhead, who tries to turn it around on me and make ME seem like the dickhead.

Of course, right at that moment where I was really about to let him have it, the date walked back and I had to suck up my pride, though I did get in one last "Fuck you!" to let him know my feelings.

You know, if this was a fucking slop-chute piece of shit joint, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But the fact of the matter is I came there to enjoy some privacy, and this schmuck disregarded the entire package that goes along with the "restaurant experience." He faced the wrong direction, he ignored his company, and he ruined someone else's experience in the process. If I ever run into this guy again, and he pulls the same card-- it's going outside.

The bottom line is this: respect the booth!!

Does anyone else feel the same way?

ok you're a douche

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Docpan said:
If he wanted to watch the game, he could have sat the FUCKING bar. The entire purpose of the booth is to converse with the person IN FRONT of you. Notice the seat isn't on a swivel for you to dick around and look at something else. He had to physically tilt his entire body and sit at an angle, which had to have been uncomfortable, to watch a game where the players must have looked like ants from his position.

That was my entire point. He fucked with my dinner, and he obviously didn't give a shit about his, so why not let him have it? And I was man enough to suck it up until the girl left the room....

Would you have bitched out and not said anything? Part of what I was paying for was the privacy!

But the only reason you noticed him was because you were looking around the room...

So, why would someone go to a steakhouse? To chill, relax, hang with friends, catch the game, and get a decent bite to eat, right? I mean, isn't that common sense? Well, that's what I had in mind when my pal Dave called me up and asked me to go the local steak joint.

I could eat, and I was getting a little tired of TV dinners and ramen. Unfortunately, I agreed to do so forgetting that the game was coming on tonight. It was a pretty big game and my hometown team was going undefeated this season, so kind of a big deal. My DVR wasn't working of course, and I had to make the call. Dave had just gone through a rocky divorce, and I didn't want to bail on him like that, because, you know I'm a decent human fucking being. I decided to suck it up and go to the place, and I could catch the highlights tomorrow on ESPN.

We get there and the hostess asks if we want to sit at the bar. I look over and I see these massive stools, like 6 feet off the floor. Why the hell would anybody need to be that high off the floor? Don't they realize that people are going to be drinking there? It seems like to me you'd want these drunk assholes as close to the floor as possible so nobody sues your ass when some drunken moron falls on his head or something. But whatever, I'm not an architect or shit. I think about it for a second, but my knee's killing me. The arthritis from an break I had in high school was kicking in with a vengeance. I guess maybe it was the weather, I don't know. I ask Dave if a booth would be okay. Dave's cool with anything, just happy to be out on the town again. So we get seated at this booth.

We order, get our drinks and everything, and we're waiting on the meal. My knee's killing me. Like someone's got it in a fucking vice. I twist around to give myself some leg room, and it's at this moment I notice I can see the TV at the bar. The game's on and it's a close one. Dave is going on about how his ex-wife is living with some guy now, and he's been trying not to think about it. It's pretty obvious he just wants to get all of that out, so I just lean back and try to watch the game as he lets his feelings out. The screen's far off, so I'm really glaring, trying to get a decent look. I'm figuring out what everything is until out of the fucking blue, this guy gets up and yells, "Hey." At first I'm thinking he sees a friend or something, but he goes on, "What's your problem?" My problem? I'm just sitting here, like any normal person. What the hell's this guy's problem? He's looks like some roid junkie who'd beat up his friends or something. I'm trying to keep this cool. I answer, "I'm just watching the game man. What's it matter?" Then he goes off, "Why don't you go sit at the fucking bar! You're fucking up my dinner?" Who the hell does this guy think he is? This is a fucking steakhouse. I can watch the TV from wherever the hell I want. I explain to this Hitler youth that I like sitting at the booth, and would appreciate it if he'd just leave me alone. His date walks up and he's cool for a while. Dave's freaking out. He's always been kind of "fragile." He fought in Desert Storm, so I don't know. Eventually things cool down, and then out of nowhere he yells out, "FUCK YOU!" as he leaves.

Jesus, man. What's with people?

Nikashi

Banned
Jesus fuck Docpan, every fucking thread you shit out is "SOME GUY DID SOMETHING I PERCEIVED AS A HOSTILE ACTION, SO I AGGRESSIVELY CONFRONTED HIM / CHASED HIM DOWN / PUNCHED HIM OUT" and you think that everyone is gonna fucking agree you did the right thing when really you're just acting like a fucking roided up freak.

Get some fucking help, people like you make the world unpleasant for the rest of us.

whitehawk

Banned
Docpan said:

I'm trying to understand your thinking here... And well, it's not working... You're over reacting to a non-issue. Who the fuck cares if he was looking in your direction, just look at your girl not him.

I'm almost convinced you are a joke character, but I'm not 100% sure.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
goddam OP
edit: Why am I not surprised its Docpan? :lol

duckroll

You are either trying really hard to get another tag (not going to happen), or you are a totally self-absorbed douchebag who has a terrible idea of manners and social conduct. In short, your behavior tells me that you are an asshole. I feel sorry for the guy you tried to start shit up with at the restaurant. It's too bad he didn't complain about you and get you kicked out.

Docpan

Nikashi said:
Jesus fuck Docpan, every fucking thread you shit out is "SOME GUY DID SOMETHING I PERCEIVED AS A HOSTILE ACTION, SO I AGGRESSIVELY CONFRONTED HIM / CHASED HIM DOWN / PUNCHED HIM OUT" and you think that everyone is gonna fucking agree you did the right thing when really you're just acting like a fucking roided up freak.

Get some fucking help, people like you make the world unpleasant for the rest of us.

To be quite honest, I think that hating me is just something that people "do." Though, I did honestly think that I would have more support this time around.

Like I said, part of the restaurant experience is the privacy that is involved. Some idiot brought up the point that I, too, looked around. Yes, I did, but I did what any NORMAL person would have done, and simply did some scanning. It is RUDE to flat out ignore your company like that dickhead across from me was doing. If they weren't going to use the booth to talk, then they were wasting the space and shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Look, obviously it's a public place. Is it okay if someone looks at me for a second because they like my shirt or think my girl is hot? That's fine. But for the ENTIRE MEAL, to be distracted by this nonsense... Well, to me that is inexcusable.

The mother fucker saw me, that much I know. I wouldn't have cursed if he didn't play the dumb card and pretend he didn't know why I was upset. What really got me was that he was too much of a pussy to come out and tell me he didn't give a shit that he was ruining my dinner. To be honest, I think I would have appreciated a big, powerfully-thrust middle finger in my face as opposed to the sheepish response he gave.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Docpan said:
Look, obviously it's a public place. Is it okay if someone looks at me for a second because they like my shirt or think my girl is hot? That's fine. But for the ENTIRE MEAL, to be distracted by this nonsense... Well, to me that is inexcusable.

The mother fucker saw me, that much I know. I wouldn't have cursed if he didn't play the dumb card and pretend he didn't know why I was upset. What really got me was that he was too much of a pussy to come out and tell me he didn't give a shit that he was ruining my dinner. To be honest, I think I would have appreciated a big, powerfully-thrust middle finger in my face as opposed to the sheepish response he gave.

Persecution complex. It's common among those that were bullied as kids (possibly for being overweight?), combat veterans (sometimes a symptom of PTSD), and those with teeny tiny penises.

If you took every situation you are ever in, and assumed the exact opposite of the way you think, you'll probably live longer.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Foxix said:
Oh my god. How did I not see the bear?
because they're bears. you only see them, when they wish to be seen.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Foxix said:
Oh my god. How did I not see the ---?

If you watch the clip again, follow the ball with your eye and you'll notice the ball directs your eye away from the ***. If you were asked to count the passes the black team made, you would have seen it the first time.

Foxix Von

Mario said:
Because nobody spoiled it for you in a post like you just did.
:lol I'm sorry, it's late and I really wasn't thinking of it as a spoiler... I mean it's kind of there the entire time. But regardless I've edited it to avoid ruining it for others.

Sorry! On the bright side, I bet you passed the test.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Docpan said:
To be honest, I think I would have appreciated a big, powerfully-thrust middle finger in my face as opposed to the sheepish response he gave.

I think I will remember this the next time I get into a confrontation with somebody. I usually make any old excuse and end it quickly. Next time I will know what's expected of me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Docpan said:

So your response to perceived rudeness is to always be an even bigger douchebag. And then you expect the exact same kind of behavior from other people. Basically, you want things to spiral out of control until a fight ensues.

Seriously, if he DID give you a middle finger, do you honestly believe you would have been able to restrain yourself? Cause before that guy was just being accidentally rude to you and you got verbally hostile.

One of these days, Docpan, you're going to run into somebody that's just as big of a blowhard as you. You perceive rudeness, you're going to blow up, and then you're going to get into a fight. Next thing you know, you're going to be on the receiving end of Epic Beard Man's fists.

hsin

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
So, why would someone go to a steakhouse? To chill, relax, hang with friends, catch the game, and get a decent bite to eat, right? I mean, isn't that common sense? Well, that's what I had in mind when my pal Dave called me up and asked me to go the local steak joint.

I could eat, and I was getting a little tired of TV dinners and ramen. Unfortunately, I agreed to do so forgetting that the game was coming on tonight. It was a pretty big game and my hometown team was going undefeated this season, so kind of a big deal. My DVR wasn't working of course, and I had to make the call. Dave had just gone through a rocky divorce, and I didn't want to bail on him like that, because, you know I'm a decent human fucking being. I decided to suck it up and go to the place, and I could catch the highlights tomorrow on ESPN.

We get there and the hostess asks if we want to sit at the bar. I look over and I see these massive stools, like 6 feet off the floor. Why the hell would anybody need to be that high off the floor? Don't they realize that people are going to be drinking there? It seems like to me you'd want these drunk assholes as close to the floor as possible so nobody sues your ass when some drunken moron falls on his head or something. But whatever, I'm not an architect or shit. I think about it for a second, but my knee's killing me. The arthritis from an break I had in high school was kicking in with a vengeance. I guess maybe it was the weather, I don't know. I ask Dave if a booth would be okay. Dave's cool with anything, just happy to be out on the town again. So we get seated at this booth.

We order, get our drinks and everything, and we're waiting on the meal. My knee's killing me. Like someone's got it in a fucking vice. I twist around to give myself some leg room, and it's at this moment I notice I can see the TV at the bar. The game's on and it's a close one. Dave is going on about how his ex-wife is living with some guy now, and he's been trying not to think about it. It's pretty obvious he just wants to get all of that out, so I just lean back and try to watch the game as he lets his feelings out. The screen's far off, so I'm really glaring, trying to get a decent look. I'm figuring out what everything is until out of the fucking blue, this guy gets up and yells, "Hey." At first I'm thinking he sees a friend or something, but he goes on, "What's your problem?" My problem? I'm just sitting here, like any normal person. What the hell's this guy's problem? He's looks like some roid junkie who'd beat up his friends or something. I'm trying to keep this cool. I answer, "I'm just watching the game man. What's it matter?" Then he goes off, "Why don't you go sit at the fucking bar! You're fucking up my dinner?" Who the hell does this guy think he is? This is a fucking steakhouse. I can watch the TV from wherever the hell I want. I explain to this Hitler youth that I like sitting at the booth, and would appreciate it if he'd just leave me alone. His date walks up and he's cool for a while. Dave's freaking out. He's always been kind of "fragile." He fought in Desert Storm, so I don't know. Eventually things cool down, and then out of nowhere he yells out, "FUCK YOU!" as he leaves.

Jesus, man. What's with people?

Jesus, I don't even remotely see the problem, OP. Your idea of 'rules' is obviously the odd one out here. Do you know anyone personally that would agree with you, ever?

Boogie9IGN said:
I can't wait till you do this to the wrong guy and get your ass handed to you

This. You are a fucking prick of the worst kind. HE WAS JUST WATCHING TV AND HE'S THE ONE AT FAULT?!?!?!

also:

or are some kind of anti-social weirdo who eats at these places alone.

;_;

At any rate had it been me you were talking to I would have at least talked shit right back at your douchebag ass for being in the way of MY tv watching. Fight depends on how big you are... anyways the point is: THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND YOU ASSHOLE!!! You get the right to special privacy in a PUBLIC PLACE?! He gets no right to watch the TV that is installed specifically for people eating there to WATCH????? Fucking come ON!

edit: PLEASE tell me this guy is a troll account. PLEASE!! No human being with at least half of their brain mass intact can possibly be this stupid.

duckroll

I'm pretty disappointed this thread isn't about how the restaurant staff were super assholes who have no respect for human decency by throwing him out of the place and embarrassing him in front of his "hot chick" simply because he was defending his rights to privacy in the almighty booth. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom