• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I've never even put Skyward Sword in my Wii, I've only ever played it on my PC. So yes, it's totally playable from start to finish.

Haven't tried TP beyond the first dungeon though.

Thanks for the input. Far enough into TP on my Wii that I'll just finish it out there, but I'll def shoot for playing Skyward Sword through Dolphin on my 55". Should be nice.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
More Epic Mickey 2
Game occasionally crashes when transitioning between zones, some sound crackling with HLE but overall nothing serious.

iibXgYIqUGy6T.png

ibr9t0cLKjcJjV.png

ibwXgdwYV7VS54.png

iblv50odqPpxMC.png

ihuYpkKb9SdUz.png

i6SBqfE143Y1m.png

Pro

I ask again, does anyone have a controller scheme for TP or SS?

I don't but TP should be super simple to configure on a controller. Skyward Sword shouldn't be configurable on a controller since you are required to have the Wii Motion Plus to play the game.

Footos22

Ok Im a complete dolphin noob.
i have just ripped Xenoblade with cleanrip into 4 different parts.

How do i go about getting them merged into one.
Google not being much help but it's probably just me being thick

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't but TP should be super simple to configure on a controller. Skyward Sword shouldn't be configurable on a controller since you are required to have the Wii Motion Plus to play the game.
Ugh I'd get one if it wasn't like 50 bucks. Should be $10

Chris R

I thought there was a controller setup for SS that mapped the WMP stuff to the right stick of a dual stick controller? Or was I just imagining things?

Pro

I thought there was a controller setup for SS that mapped the WMP stuff to the right stick of a dual stick controller? Or was I just imagining things?

Hmmm...I've been following this thread for a while and I don't recall any posts about that. Plus you can't get past the WMP detection screen in SS unless the game detects a WMP. It would be nice though.

Amneisac

Well, I guess now that I have a WiiU, I can safely mod my Wii and get crackin' on this Dolphin business. Subbed! Thanks for all the great info here, everyone!

Pro

Regarding Motion Plus emulation, there were a few modded builds that supported it, I've been using the build and controller profile linked here and it works well enough. Further down that page there's also a handy guide for performing various actions that aren't immediately obvious based on the mapping.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-zelda-skyward-sword-emulated-controls-unnoficial-thread

That's nice. What do you mean by "well enough"? What are the draw backs?

jediyoshi

The one where you're not actually using a motion plus. I'm guessing it just maps common predefined paths to an analog stick which is probably fine since the game didn't really need that kind of analog motion for attacks.

Aiming/pointing is a bit wonky. That post goes into more detail about it at the bottom, basically it's pretty slow and not very precise, but you can make it work. Flying and directional slashing work great though. I've played with the setup up to Eldin so far.

Ok Im a complete dolphin noob.
i have just ripped Xenoblade with cleanrip into 4 different parts.

How do i go about getting them merged into one.
Google not being much help but it's probably just me being thick

When I ripped my larger games into chunks w/ CleanRip, i was able to recombine them easily enough with HJSplit.

http://www.hjsplit.org/

HJSplit requires that the filename of each part be named a certain way so that the joining will go smoothly. Before beginning the join process, I had to append file extension ".001" to the first file part, ".002" to the second file part and so on. And then I renamed the file names so that they're all the same (i.e. took out the "part0", "part1", etc.). For Xenoblade (NA version), the renamed file parts would be "SX4E01.iso.001", "SX4E01.iso.002", etc. and the final merged file is "SX4E01.iso".

As a side note for the future...if the device you're ripping to is NTFS-formatted then you can rip the entire game as one ISO...no need to worry about splitting/joining.

Sanctuary

Any idea how to fix the missing textures issue with Skies of Arcadia? Often textures simply disappear and you're left with something that's solid black.

Edit: Hmm, it seems to be an issue using D3D11. Setting it to D3D9 fixes the issue.

Footos22

When I ripped my larger games into chunks w/ CleanRip, i was able to recombine them easily enough with HJSplit.

HJSplit requires that the filename of each part be named a certain way so that the joining will go smoothly. Before beginning the join process, I had to append file extension ".001" to the first file part, ".002" to the second file part and so on. And then I renamed the file names so that they're all the same (i.e. took out the "part0", "part1", etc.). For Xenoblade (NA version), the renamed file parts would be "SX4E01.iso.001", "SX4E01.iso.002", etc. and the final merged file is "SX4E01.iso".

As a side note for the future...if the device you're ripping to is NTFS-formatted then you can rip the entire game as one ISO...no need to worry about splitting/joining.

I tried the NTFS first and it got to about 50% then it just quits out. I Will give it another go tonight. Cheers

pkScary

I just want to say it's absolutely absurd how much better Dolphin runs than PCSX2. I played Soul Calibur II on both emulators...PCSX2 runs at full speed 95% of the time but I still get moments of slowdown. The Gamecube version on Dolphin is smooth as silk, butter, a baby's bum, etc.

Why is this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just want to say it's absolutely absurd how much better Dolphin runs than PCSX2. I played Soul Calibur II on both emulators...PCSX2 runs at full speed 95% of the time but I still get moments of slowdown. The Gamecube version on Dolphin is smooth as silk, butter, a baby's bum, etc.

Why is this?
More effort has been put into Dolphin/picking apart Nintendo's machines has been easier.

Why is this?

PowerPC processor is a well known, well documented, and "easy" to emulate because of it. Also, the GPU is very close to modern PC GPUs. Similarity in design makes it both easier to write code to emulate, and makes it faster to emulate.

PS2 has a very poorly documented processor and a pair of VPU (instead of a single GPU) that don't work very similarly to PC at all. In fact, the VPU are so unlike modern GPUs, nearly everything about it has to be done via your CPU... Only the final render pass is done on your GPU.

Simply put, the PS2 is just harder to emulate even though it's "weaker" than the GCN/Wii.

Footos22

Hmm the Wii Dat file seems to have been removed from redump.org.
anyone have a link where i can download it having a bit of trouble finidng it :(
Thanks

Sanctuary

So how do you actually get the 360 controller to function with the Wii emulation? It's working just fine for the Gamecube emulation, but anytime I load up a Wii game, it just sits on the Wiimote screen dialogue screen for a while, until it finally says either the connection with the Wiimote was lost, or a Wiimote is not connected. I've tried using Emulated Wiimote and None, but neither seem to work.

pkScary

Sanctuary, are you sure you set up your controller to work with the gamepad, wiimote, AND nunchuk? I had the same problem as you until I dug a little deeper into those settings. The nunchuk setting is inside the wiimote section iirc.

Footos22

Worked brilliantly, thanks man

Rufus

So how do you actually get the 360 controller to function with the Wii emulation? It's working just fine for the Gamecube emulation, but anytime I load up a Wii game, it just sits on the Wiimote screen dialogue screen for a while, until it finally says either the connection with the Wiimote was lost, or a Wiimote is not connected. I've tried using Emulated Wiimote and None, but neither seem to work.
Have you configured the 360 controller as a classic controller (attached to an emulated Wiimote)?

Why is this?

I think GC/Wii games are less glitched graphically, so visual fidelity is great on most games on Dolphin. While on PCSX2 lots og games has visual problems ranging for low to big.

But I get better performance on PCSX2 thanks to speedhacks and tweaks. If your CPU can't handle a game on Dolphin, is mostly useless try to get decent framerates. Also stretching sound algorithm makes PCSX2 superior when you can't get perfect framerates.

Sanctuary

Sanctuary, are you sure you set up your controller to work with the gamepad, wiimote, AND nunchuk? I had the same problem as you until I dug a little deeper into those settings. The nunchuk setting is inside the wiimote section iirc.

No, all I did was set it up to work as the GC controller, then I tried changing the Emulated Wiimote to work similarly. I actually didn't find anything for the Nunchuck at first glance, and was wondering where the Z and C were supposed to be.

jediyoshi

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't see any option to setup a Wii specific classic controller. Like I said, it works fine for the GameCube (which I had setup).

They're different dialogue screens. On the dolphin toolbar hit the Wiimote button. Next to Wiimote 1, select Emulated Wiimote on the dropdown and hit the configure button. Under device, select your gamepad and binding is the same as the gamecube window.

You select what would be connected to the wiimote under the Extension section

I think GC/Wii games are less glitched graphically, so visual fidelity is great on most games on Dolphin. While on PCSX2 lots og games has visual problems ranging for low to big.

But I get better performance on PCSX2 thanks to speedhacks and tweaks. If your CPU can't handle a game on Dolphin, is mostly useless try to get decent framerates. Also stretching sound algorithm makes PCSX2 superior when you can't get perfect framerates.

Sound stretching sounds awful if you can't hit 100% speed. Better option is setting ASYNC, this makes the audio play full speed no matter how the game is rendering. In rare instances this can cause glitches or break games, but of all the games I've tried I'd say 95%+ work just fine.

ZiggyRoXx

Banned

Why is this?

Depends on the game...for me,SSX 3 runs far better in PCSX2 than Dolphin, also for every crash in PCSX2, I must get 3 or 4 in Dolphin.

Total noob here when it comes to CleanRip. I've got a 32 gig USB stick formatted FAT, I'm currently ripping SSBB (which is taking 30 minutes), and I have no clue as to what all the settings mean. I chose...

Dual layer: Yes
Chunk size: Max
New device per chunk: No

Anything I should be doing differently?

Scratch that. Just got to 50% and errored out. How should I correctly rip my games? Also, should I format my stick to NTFS?

edit: Tried reformatting to NTFS and the Wii wouldn't read it.

butanebob

Neo Member
Does anyone else get audio lag when using LLE? It's especially noticable with sound effects playing AFTER they should. For eg - the coin pickup sound in mario galaxy or the weapon PEW PEW sound in metroid prime. It's really distracting :(

Footos22

Scratch that. Just got to 50% and errored out. How should I correctly rip my games? Also, should I format my stick to NTFS?

edit: Tried reformatting to NTFS and the Wii wouldn't read it.

Yeah mine wouldnt either.

Format to Fat32

for ssbb

Dual layer: Yes
Chunk size: 3gb
New devicxe per chunk: No

Have you updated the Dat files also? that caused me a few problems.
Combine the files with HJSplit. Gravity man gives a good explanation further up the page.

Cant get either Mario Galaxy or Galaxy 2 to run. Mario Galaxy just flashes up as a white screen for a split second then quits out. And its saying Mario galaxy 2 isn't a valid iso.

Both Twilight princess and wind waker look amazing though and so does the wii version of REmake

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone know how Sengoku Basara 3 runs on this thing, and if it requires really beefy hardware? Kind of want to play the game but cba to hook up the Wii (but if I only had to hook it up once to rip the game and play on PC that'd be okay)...

The rechargeable batteries I've been using for the Wiimote have also run out of juice for good, a full charge depletes in a day even if I don't really use them much at all, and they're 2650mAh...

Was looking for a hack and slash fix after watching the new Rising videos and I don't think I'd enjoy a DMC4 replay.

Did that fix for RE4's music ever get implemented? I'm playing it right now and just remember it.

Yes it was introduced in the main branch. When I played RE4 music still would cut sometimes and there's a delay before the music loops, but at least is not totally broken like before.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Grr. I'm not sure what happened but suddenly Twilight Princess runs like crap. (GC version but Wii also is slow) Trying to do all of the fixes and nothing working. ENB to RAM seems to slow the system down to 5fps. Whenever I tried it out before it seemed to work fine. Today though, it is not running like I thought it did before. I'm still at the beginning of the game at the starting screens, but I've grabbed Epona before and not had the same issues.

I have an i5 2500k, ATI 6850, 12GB RAM. Not sure why this suddenly started happening. I even upgraded Dolphin. Oh well. :(

Artanisix

I've heard that the wiimotes with the motion+ built in have a lot of troubles connecting with dolphin/bluetooth. Is this true? I would like to purchase one at a local store to play Skyward Sword with, but I'm worried about its connectivity. I don't think stores near me sell the individual motion+ addons anymore.

Damn... From a GTX 285 to a 660ti, in PCSX 2 I've gone from 60fps in Burnout 3 at native resolution and with slowdowns to 2048x2048 at 60fps locked.

Huge difference right?

Not so much in Dolphin. I'm using an older build since Dolphin 3 made games slower, yet the video card upgrade meant nothing. Same speed in Mario Galaxy. I know emulators are more dependent on CPU (and CPU speed) but c'mon.. Not even a small change! It ain't normal either right? A better GPU should still yield an improvement in framerates...

How are the newer builds in speed? Comparable to pre-v3.0?

Lkr

Damn... From a GTX 285 to a 660ti, in PCSX 2 I've gone from 60fps in Burnout 3 at native resolution and with slowdowns to 2048x2048 at 60fps locked.

Huge difference right?

Not so much in Dolphin. I'm using an older build since Dolphin 3 made games slower, yet the video card upgrade meant nothing. Same speed in Mario Galaxy. I know emulators are more dependent on CPU (and CPU speed) but c'mon.. Not even a small change! It ain't normal either right? A better GPU should still yield an improvement in framerates...

How are the newer builds in speed? Comparable to pre-v3.0?
Well what CPU are you using? Dolphin is more CPU demanding than pcsx2 in my experience.

Kokonoe

Banned
Dolphin is mainly CPU based, but when I upgraded from GTX 460 to GTX 670, all games started working tons better. I can play Mario Galaxy 2 perfect now. (I'll work on it eventually)

Grr. I'm not sure what happened but suddenly Twilight Princess runs like crap. (GC version but Wii also is slow) Trying to do all of the fixes and nothing working. ENB to RAM seems to slow the system down to 5fps. Whenever I tried it out before it seemed to work fine. Today though, it is not running like I thought it did before. I'm still at the beginning of the game at the starting screens, but I've grabbed Epona before and not had the same issues.

I have an i5 2500k, ATI 6850, 12GB RAM. Not sure why this suddenly started happening. I even upgraded Dolphin. Oh well. :(

OpenGL plugin is faster in TP, you could try that.

Top Bottom