• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

I've heard that the wiimotes with the motion+ built in have a lot of troubles connecting with dolphin/bluetooth. Is this true? I would like to purchase one at a local store to play Skyward Sword with, but I'm worried about its connectivity. I don't think stores near me sell the individual motion+ addons anymore.

I've never once had an issue with any of my wiimotes, including my golden Wiimote+ that came with Skyward Sword CE.

Someone mentioning PCSX2 being less CPU intense, not really true... In general PCSX2 will require a lot more CPU because of the aforementioned VUs having to be compeltely decoded/emulated on CPU... They have made some improvements to PCSX2 over the last year or so so you can enable a third CPU core to handle VU options and thus gives a nice boost... The only time you can use a third core on Dolphin is in the GPU settings for using it to help do texture decoding.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
OpenGL plugin is faster in TP, you could try that.

I tried OpenGL and I also tried the lowest graphical settings, turning everything off practically. For some reason it just drops to like 30% speed and 5fps at start up. It's bizarre. I even have the ZTP hack enabled. No other games are affected apparently.

Maybe I just need to reboot. I'll try it again tomorrow night. I did notice that while in game, if I put ENB to Texture from RAM the game will suddenly speed up and I'll get full speed again (if not faster than it should be actually, since it seems too fast). But of course, the mini map will them get messed up when I go to another screen. And eventually it slows back down again too I think.

Weird stuff.

So I recently found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ5-GRPF0s

Dolphin running smoothly on acer w700 i5 tablet. This thing is ultrabook-spec level, nothing too beefy. I was surprised that it ran dolphin in the first place.

Since I am a sucker for emulators, what could it do? would playing windwaker on this thing be possible (i dont care for higher resolution or something, but wind waker on the go: hmmmm do want)?

Negaiido

I'm starting to get desperate, my wiimote does not connect to dolphin.
When I click on "pair up" it doesn't do anything, Refresh doesn't do anything.
I do see Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR in Windows 7 Devices and Printers after I added it as a bluetooth device.
Could someone please help me with this problem. I've used google for hours but that did not help.

Pro

I'm starting to get desperate, my wiimote does not connect to dolphin.
When I click on "pair up" it doesn't do anything, Refresh doesn't do anything.
I do see Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR in Windows 7 Devices and Printers after I added it as a bluetooth device.
Could someone please help me with this problem. I've used google for hours but that did not help.

I believe your model of Wiimote is not compatible with Dolphin as of now. I had this issue about a year ago. I had the RVL-CNT-01-TR model of Wiimote and it wouldn't sync up either. Tried out my roommate's Wiimote and it was RVL-CNT-01 (without the ending -TR) and it worked. Trouble is you can't tell which models have the -TR on the end until you buy them and try them out. I do know that the Gold Skyward Sword Wii Motion Plus works with Dolphin.

Edit: I'll try to remember to check mine when I get home cause I'm not 100% sure what the working model is, but I'm fairly certain this is the issue I ran into myself.

Negaiido

I believe your model of Wiimote is not compatible with Dolphin as of now. I had this issue about a year ago. I had the RVL-CNT-01-TR model of Wiimote and it wouldn't sync up either. Tried out my roommate's Wiimote and it was RVL-CNT-01 (without the ending -TR) and it worked. Trouble is you can't tell which models have the -TR on the end until you buy them and try them out. I do know that the Gold Skyward Sword Wii Motion Plus works with Dolphin.

Edit: I'll try to remember to check mine when I get home cause I'm not 100% sure what the working model is, but I'm fairly certain this is the issue I ran into myself.

I've solved the problem partially but I still can't use it with dolphin stable version 3.0 :(

therapist

Finally got a wireless sensor bar and got this working on my pc.

At first i couldnt get the controller to connect , as i had the newer one with the 01-TR at the end when you connect in windows , but luckily i was able to trade with my freind for an older one.

This is possibly the best emulator ive ever seen...its so smooth and the gfx jump is just beautiful.

Negaiido

Finally got a wireless sensor bar and got this working on my pc.

At first i couldnt get the controller to connect , as i had the newer one with the 01-TR at the end when you connect in windows , but luckily i was able to trade with my freind for an older one.

This is possibly the best emulator ive ever seen...its so smooth and the gfx jump is just beautiful.

Well mine works :p BUT I do have some frame drops sometimes and its not without glitches. I'm picky because my PC should be able to handle it. I'm playing Skyward Sword by the way.

harSon

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but I'm trying to tie Dolphin to XBMC, and am able to have it launched via Advanced Launcher but XBMC stays open and instead of my controller or keyboard/mouse controlling Dolphin... it controls XBMC.

I know I need to create a Batch file to close XBMC while Dolphin is open, but I'm not quite sure how to do it: http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=327#p327

Can anyone help?

Well what CPU are you using? Dolphin is more CPU demanding than pcsx2 in my experience.

Heh forgot to list my CPU... i7 920 @ 3.0 :(

Can't believe another user here from a 460 to a 670 saw a huge boost to make Mario Galaxy perfect and I got absolutely no FPS boost... I guess I'll try the newest version...

Hypatia

So I recently found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ5-GRPF0s

Dolphin running smoothly on acer w700 i5 tablet. This thing is ultrabook-spec level, nothing too beefy. I was surprised that it ran dolphin in the first place.

Since I am a sucker for emulators, what could it do? would playing windwaker on this thing be possible (i dont care for higher resolution or something, but wind waker on the go: hmmmm do want)?

Damn now I want one of those tablets. Playing Wind Waker anywhere I wanted would be amazing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm building a new computer so I'll finally be able to play my Wii and Gamecube games in HD maxed out.

Anything else I should get or add to my setup besides what is mentioned in the OP? Any updates? Wireless Classic Controllers without needing attached to a Wiimote or something?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The official Dolphin forums have been gutted? I was looking for updates on the Xenoblade HD texture stuff.

EDIT: Ah, I see there's an archive.

Necrovex

All right, I have The Last Story ISO (got it from my physical copy via clean rip), but Dolphin is stuck on this screen . It has been stuck on that sreen for awhile, and rebooting the TLS ISO takes me back to that screen.

I have really wanted to play Xenoblade and TLS, but I refuse to play it on the actual Wii when I have a powerful PC....Plus I no longer have my Wiimotes for my Wii.

Could anyone assist me? I am really unfamiliar with the emulation scene.

Edit: All right, I figured out from an online source since my USB Thumbdrive was formatted to a FAT32, rather than a NTFS format, that my the ISO were not fully installed onto the thumbdrive (4GB limit). This would explain the lack of functioning for The Last Story and Xenoblade. Let's do this again!

Edit 2: I finally got Dolphin working with Xenoblade and TLS! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey people.

How will my laptop hold up with Dolphin on something like Xenoblade?

Base Inspiron 7520 Base
Processor 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (2.50 GHz, 3M cache)
Memory 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1600MHz DDR3
Video Card 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M
Operating System Windows 8 64bit, English
CD ROM/DVD ROM Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD

Also, should I download the stable version, or is one of the development versions worth a try?

Thanks

Necrovex

So, the link in the OP regarding the games is broken. I am looking for the optimal build for Xenoblade and The Last Story. Could someone give me another link, so I can find these game builds? Or, could someone simply tell me how I should alter Dolphin to get the optimal experience from both of these titles?

So, the link in the OP regarding the games is broken. I am looking for the optimal build for Xenoblade and The Last Story. Could someone give me another link, so I can find these game builds? Or, could someone simply tell me how I should alter Dolphin to get the optimal experience from both of these titles?

The forums and all related info were relocated to http://forums.dolphin-emu.org.

Here is the link to the Wii games index and here are the threads for Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story.

Hey people.

How will my laptop hold up with Dolphin on something like Xenoblade?

Base Inspiron 7520 Base
Processor 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (2.50 GHz, 3M cache)
Memory 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1600MHz DDR3
Video Card 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M
Operating System Windows 8 64bit, English
CD ROM/DVD ROM Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD

Also, should I download the stable version, or is one of the development versions worth a try?

Thanks

Well for the most part, there will be some games that'll be CPU limited, but Gamecube games should all run fine and most wii games shouldn't have an issue either.

Kokonoe

Banned
Dolphin really is amazing and is single-handedly strongly reviving so many games for me as if they were brand new titles. I just experienced x9 antialiasing with 3x resolution on Mario Sunshine and it is superb. Honestly, Dolphin is my favorite thing to use on my PC.

Oh, and here's a screenshot.

ilg94usgdM1py.png

En-ou

holy shit, I just got skyward sword working in NVidia vision 3D - damn what an experience. amazing! I can reach out and grab the beetle in front of me

Roo

Dolphin really is amazing and is single-handedly strongly reviving so many games for me as if they were brand new titles. I just experienced x9 antialiasing with 3x resolution on Mario Sunshine and it is superb. Honestly, Dolphin is my favorite thing to use on my PC.

Oh, and here's a screenshot.

http://i.minus.com/ilg94usgdM1py.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dat pixelated HUD :O
[spoiler]Just kidding, it looks amazing :O[/spoiler]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doing a Twin Snakes playthrough. Figured I'd happy snap along the way and post them here. Not playing with the widescreen hack, as much as I'd like to, as it introduces too many graphical issues (like breaking many cutscenes). 4:3 it is. Cutscene images have the back borders cropped out.

m1cyu9e.png

m2nabf2.png

m3ocliu.png

m4royqb.png

m58aalh.png

m67bl6l.png

Doing a Twin Snakes playthrough. Figured I'd happy snap along the way and post them here. Not playing with the widescreen hack, as much as I'd like to, as it introduces too many graphical issues (like breaking many cutscenes). 4:3 it is. Cutscene images have the back borders cropped out.

m1cyu9e.png

m2nabf2.png

m3ocliu.png

m4royqb.png

m58aalh.png

m67bl6l.png

I want to do this eventually. Need to get some USB adapters for my gamecube controllers though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I want to do this eventually. Need to get some USB adapters for my gamecube controllers though.

Performs pretty well too. Had some issues where audio gets desync'd from the video by a second or so, but doesn't seem to happen often and tends to be fixed by a restart.

m1aljc0.png

m2ark42.png

m3wwkm5.png

m47zjqx.png

m51vja0.png

can you go through the whole cutscenes now? or does Twin Snakes still freeze if you watch a cutscene for too long?

I have to replay it if its fixed jaja.

EatChildren

can you go through the whole cutscenes now? or does Twin Snakes still freeze if you watch a cutscene for too long?

I have to replay it if its fixed jaja.

I just escaped from the cell after torture, and I haven't had a single cutscene freeze. Irregular and annoying audio delays unfortunately, but no freezes.

m1copy0nk4u.png

m2eej4l.png

m335kad.png

m4z0jw6.png

m57qkso.png

m6rhjml.png

kenix

Neo Member
awsome twin snake shot. I'm thinking about playing it again on dolphin. what build are u using btw. Or should i say what's best build to play twin snake

EatChildren

awsome twin snake shot. I'm thinking about playing it again on dolphin. what build are u using btw. Or should i say what's best build to play twin snake

I'm using 3.0-807. There's more recent builds, and I'm only not using them because I haven't gotten around to downloading them. I doubt they're much different and should work just as well.

To ensure minimal audio and graphical errors, you'll want the following settings:
---Config---
(General) Framelimit: Audio
(Audio) DSP Emulator Engine: DSP LLE recompiler

---Graphics---
(General) Backend: Direct3D9 (DX11 might work, haven't tried it)
(General) Aspect Ratio: Auto (widescreen hack is broken)
(Hacks) EFB Copies: RAM (can also enable cache)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

http://www.abload.de/img/m1cyu9e.png
http://www.abload.de/img/m2nabf2.png
http://www.abload.de/img/m3ocliu.png
http://www.abload.de/img/m4royqb.png
http://www.abload.de/img/m58aalh.png
http://www.abload.de/img/m67bl6l.png
Did you secretly take one of Johnny directly from behind? Don't worry, you can tell us.

Man, I just remembered you could use the camera to take pictures within the game. Oh, PlayStation days.

The screenshots look great. I wish the textures were a bit better, they look blurry. Maybe a touch of some post-sharpening could do the trick, but just a bit.

Grief.exe

Anyone played Paper Mario: TTYD on Dolphin?

I'm getting some crazy pop in with the wide screen hack enabled. The game only partially renders things that wouldn't normally be displayed, rendering them as you walk towards them.

Its kind of cool to see how the game works behind the scenes, but I've watched some videos on youtube with the widescreen hack on and this isn't occurring.

Any recommended settings?

Cool Twin Snakes shots by the way.

tiku

I think everbody should have played MGS by this time (i did), but a spoiler tag would prevent some damage to happen xD

EatChildren

Have you tried different audio backends? Dsound gives me sound desync/Lag in certain games whereas Xaudio works much better,

Gave Xaudio2 a shot and the desnycing is still there. It's sporadic and unpredictable so *shrug*. I think maybe there's a constant, slow dysncing of audio during every game scene, and it's most noticeable at the tail end of really long cutscenes as the irregularities catch up. Not an overly big problem, as once it cuts back to gameplay the audio resets, and so the next cutscene will be normal.

Finished the game. Accidentally deleted my Metal Gear REX shots. Idiot.

m1upul3.png

m2emuwr.png

m3h1ug7.png

m49du93.png

Anyone played Paper Mario: TTYD on Dolphin?

I'm getting some crazy pop in with the wide screen hack enabled. The game only partially renders things that wouldn't normally be displayed, rendering them as you walk towards them.

Its kind of cool to see how the game works behind the scenes, but I've watched some videos on youtube with the widescreen hack on and this isn't occurring.

Any recommended settings?

Cool Twin Snakes shots by the way.

Are they in the same spots as the youtube videos? Something to remember is that random youtubers tend to intentionally cut their videos in such a way as to avoid the negative aspects of things.

What you describe sounds to me like a typical scenario with wide screen hack. There isn't a real way to force the game to render things it doesn't normally.

UrbanRats

Ok, so i manage to run REbirth.
Now i'm wondering what should i set in the "Enchancement" section.
I put 4x native res (2560x2112) and 4xSSAA, and the game runs ok (i have a GTX580) but maybe it's an overkill? I have no idea what i'm doing but in-game, the 3d models do look very sharp and sweet.
Oh, fullscreen resolution is 1080p.

On the other hand, Mario Sunshine has some visible slowdowns and i think some shaders from the water are missing (i remember some sun reflections, that are present in the FMV, but not in-game).

Ok, so i manage to run REbirth.
Now i'm wondering what should i set in the "Enchancement" section.
I put 4x native res (2560x2112) and 4xSSAA, and the game runs ok (i have a GTX580) but maybe it's an overkill? I have no idea what i'm doing but in-game, the 3d models do look very sharp and sweet.
Oh, fullscreen resolution is 1080p.

On the other hand, Mario Sunshine has some visible slowdowns and i think some shaders from the water are missing (i remember some sun reflections, that are present in the FMV, but not in-game).

It's probably overkill, but instead of asking if it is... just try it and see. Set native res down to 2.5 and keep 4xSSAA and see if it's alright with you. If it is, leave it like that and you won't have to worry about bandwidth bottlenecks in games in the future.

EatChildren

Sounds like overkill to me. Unless a game has serious performance issues I tend to leave native resolution to Auto (Window Size). This means when you're running at full screen resolution the game matches that (in your and my case 1920x1080). Then I like to apply 4xSSAA or 9xSSAA to clean up the image.

If you can handle the higher performance then there's no real loss running at a crazy high internal resolution.

Top Bottom