• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

elektrixx

Banned
I didn't update Dolphin because it wrecked the blur effect in Skyward Sword. Is it okay to update to this version without stuff breaking?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Casually checks in to see if there's anything interesting going on..
Gamecube BBA support: Gamecube games supporting online mode using Nintendo's BBA (ethernet adapter) can now be played online on Dolphin. This includes Mario Kart: Double Dash 8 players mode support, as well as Phantasy Star Online.
Holy Crap!!
Gamecube microphone support: The 6 Gamecube games using a microphone (Mario Party 5/6 for example) can now use your system configured microphone to get audio input.
Come to Papa, Odama!!
WBFS support: If you dumped your games as WBFS files in order to play your dumps on a real Wii, you can now use the same WBFS files on Dolphin. WBFS includes features such as compression and splitted files (to avoid the FAT32 4GB file size limit).
Yes!! I thought they were against doing this, makes my life so much easier now!
Free replacement for the DSP LLE ROMs: DSP LLE normally requires you to dump ROMs from your real Wii. This free replacement, while working only with some Mario and Zelda games, removes this requirement.
WOW!! That must have required considerable effort!
TAS and recording improvements: Read only mode, better determinism, more checks to avoid using wrong settings or wrong version of a game when playing back a movie, bongo recording support.
Dem Bongos!!
Improvements to the custom textures feature: Improved stability, added support for custom mipmaps, removed texture size limit.
I Said God Damn!!
Team Dolphin, you never cease to amaze me! Keep redefining the meaning of the word 'emulator' you fine, fine people!

MCD

05eGA.jpg

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

No more audio clicking and noise for me YES

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
did anybody ever get EFB-->Texture working properly in Lost in Shadow?

Tried it on 3.5 and it still seems to have the same problem, I wonder if there's a fix for this.

zbarron

Anyone get surround sound to work using DPLII, DTS NEO 6 or similar? My back channels are silent in Dolphin but perfect from my Wii.

Negaiido

My zelda crashes with this dolphin version and the settings you mentioned.

I get the error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Dolphin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 50d71f2e
Fault Module Name: d3dcompiler_43.dll

After trying to go to the twilight/silent realm.

I'm still getting the error above with the version 3.5 :(
Does anyone know how to fix this problem.

Is it me or the anti-aliasing options in the OGL/DX11 render modes doesn't actually works? I'm not talking about visuals only but it seems like there are no hit in performance either regardless of the AA type I chose, SSAAx4(DX9) is very noticeable however.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Finally got this working and my Wii games dumped using Clean Rip. Wow! You guys aren't kidding. Dolphin makes these old Wii games look better than Wii U! I'm pretty impressed to say the least.

I've been trying to play Other M and I'm having trouble getting the controls to work right. I've tried both the Xbox 360 controller and KB&M. I know someone has to have the buttons mapped correctly for this, but I can't find anything. The problem I'm having is that once I go into missile mode I can't get out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Necrovex

05eGA.jpg

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

No more audio clicking and noise for me YES

Does this mean I can actually play Xenoblade without the audio going down the shitter?! Oh. My. God. Game Changer.

I should also probably figure out how to overclock my CPU, it seems like everyone in this thread is saying to do so. Is it really necessary if I have an eight cores I7?

That answer seems to be a yes as I acquired massive slowdown in Xenoblade. If I can get that fixed, I may finally be able to play Xenoblade.

Oh god, the info dump regarding overclocking is scary. :-/

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Broadband Adapter!? WHAAOETSOEJGSeeesjfsefjsefs

Does that mean you can play on PSO schthack off Dolphin?

Pretty sure the PSO servers went offline years ago... I could be mistaken... but if they did, no amount of broad band adapter support will allow it. Then again, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't private servers.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I finally got a control set up for Metroid Other M that works pretty much perfectly. In fact, this is so much better than what was on Wii, I'll never go back and play it like that again. Anyway, I'm new to Dolphin, but I searched high and low on the web for any type of controller mapping and couldn't find anything. It might be helpful to others if a mod added this to the Other M Guide.

Anyway, here's my config. I'm using a wired Xbox 360 controller and strictly changing the Wii controller settings in Dolphin. This set-up closest resembles Resident Evil 4 on GC/PS2 imo.

* Note - I have the "IR" inverted so when holding down the left trigger the first person view is inverted. If you want it normal, just program your left analog stick normally.

To program hide (emulating your Wii remote aiming at the screen) ->Right click "Hide" tab -> In new window, highlight "Trigger L" -> Click "! Not" -> Selection should be "!Trigger L" -> Click "OK"

I also have the Y button on the 360 pad emulating holding your Wii Remote vertically, so holding Y+A will reload your missiles.

The end result: third person/first person
Left analog stick = movement/aiming
X = shoot
A= jump
B = morph ball/missiles
Y = emulates holding the Wii remote vertically - holding Y+A reloads missiles
Start = +
Select = -
Left Trigger = enters first person mode
Right Trigger = first person lock on

Metroid%20Other%20M%20Xbox%20360%20Config.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, I plan to use an MLG 360 controller for Galaxy 2 as I can't stand motion controls myself. Dolphin is an answer to my prayers for a lot of Wii games.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Yeah, I plan to use an MLG 360 controller for Galaxy 2 as I can't stand motion controls myself. Dolphin is an answer to my prayers for a lot of Wii games.

That's on my list (as well as DKCR) too. I hate waggling, but aiming isn't too bad. I'm curious to see how MP3, RE4 and S&P2 are with a KB/M though.

whitehawk

Banned
YES! With WBFS I can finally run Skyward Sword! And it runs perfectly at 30fps, only noticed a little slowdown during part of a cutscene/dialog.

Any tips to get Super Mario Galaxy running smoothly? Runs at around 30fps for me.

gPUb5.gif

Need more details about how this works. Time to start checking their forums!

GAF KIRBY AIR RIDE TOURNAMENT WHEN?

I want in on this tourney. How do we get this working?
YES! With WBFS I can finally run Skyward Sword! And it runs perfectly at 30fps, only noticed a little slowdown during part of a cutscene/dialog.

Any tips to get Super Mario Galaxy running smoothly? Runs at around 30fps for me.

what advantages are there in WBFS over NTFS? Any performance benefits or differences?

whitehawk

Banned
Do the music in the Galaxy games loop properly now?
Nope, you still need LLE.
Cuban Legend said:
what advantages are there in WBFS over NTFS? Any performance benefits or differences?
I don't think so. It's just that for some reason Dolphin wouldn't run the ISO that I converted it to, but 3.5 runs the WBFS just fine.

Best part is how I can just move my Wii hard drive to my computer to play games in HD. Saves hard drive space on my computer :)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What advantages are there in WBFS over NTFS? Any performance benefits or differences?
You mean having a drive formatted to WBFS? I think that's an outdated process, and it pretty much makes your drive useless for anything other than Wii games.

There's a WBFS format, which is like an ISO. The reason it's popular is because you don't need to format your (USB) drive to WBFS, and it can split larger games into parts so that if you have a FAT drive, you can still play that larger game.

whitehawk

Banned
When I load up Goldeneye 007, it would recognize any of my controllers. I get to the menu where it says "press any button", but nothing happens. The game is still running fine, but no button input does anything. Tried switching to player 2, still nothing.

Any help?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When I load up Goldeneye 007, it would recognize any of my controllers. I get to the menu where it says "press any button", but nothing happens. The game is still running fine, but no button input does anything. Tried switching to player 2, still nothing.

Any help?

I remember this being a bit fiddly. Have you got Dolphin set to register both a GameCube controller and Wii Remote? I think you have to make sure your GameCube port settings are all set to empty.

whitehawk

Banned
I remember this being a bit fiddly. Have you got Dolphin set to register both a GameCube controller and Wii Remote? I think you have to make sure your GameCube port settings are all set to empty.
Worked! Thank you very much. Makes sense actually since SSBrawl would make me player 2, with a non-existant player 1 connected. Guess that was the GC controller.

Kokonoe

Banned
PSO:BB has had a widescreen client for ages =P

Dat crippling FPS :(

yeah, I found out in another thread someone made it widescreen earlier this year.

Also at the FPS, the GC doesn't have that issue, but since I'm emulating a BBA in a lobby on a private server (which the BBA has its limits), it gets choppy in the lobby. Works fine during gameplay though! perfect, actually.

Think I'll get my Tails Chao for Sonic Adventure 2Battle now.

Kokonoe

Banned
To setup the BBA for Dolphin, here's what you do.

1. Download Open VPN (Click Me!)
2. Install the program. (Spam the next button like a mad person.)
3. Go to Control Panel
4. Go to Network and Internet
5. Go to Network and Sharing Center
6. Go to Change Adapter Settings on the left side
7. Highlight both connections (hold CTRL while dragging the mouse over the two icons) your normal connection and the new TAP one. Then, right click one and click Add To Bridge. You're now done with Open VPN.

8. Open Dolphin
9. Click Options
10. Go to Configure
11. Go to Gamecube
12. Scroll down where you see SP1 and click it, and then click BBA.

You're done.

Can anybody tell me if I can join these servers with 1&2+? I only have this version...

I heard the best version for online was 1&2 (not plus). Are they sharing the same servers?

Yes, you can play on the same servers and you shouldn't have any issues.

Use

1. Check "Do not automatically disconnect".
2. Click Next
3. Click Manual
4. Input the Domain IPs below.

Primary Domain: 96.31.74.190
Secondary Domain: 65.12.199.46

5. Click Next and Next and you're done.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I finally got a control set up for Metroid Other M that works pretty much perfectly. In fact, this is so much better than what was on Wii, I'll never go back and play it like that again. Anyway, I'm new to Dolphin, but I searched high and low on the web for any type of controller mapping and couldn't find anything. It might be helpful to others if a mod added this to the Other M Guide.

Anyway, here's my config. I'm using a wired Xbox 360 controller and strictly changing the Wii controller settings in Dolphin. This set-up closest resembles Resident Evil 4 on GC/PS2 imo.

* Note - I have the "IR" inverted so when holding down the left trigger the first person view is inverted. If you want it normal, just program your left analog stick normally.

To program hide (emulating your Wii remote aiming at the screen) ->Right click "Hide" tab -> In new window, highlight "Trigger L" -> Click "! Not" -> Selection should be "!Trigger L" -> Click "OK"

I also have the Y button on the 360 pad emulating holding your Wii Remote vertically, so holding Y+A will reload your missiles.

The end result: third person/first person
Left analog stick = movement/aiming
X = shoot
A= jump
B = morph ball/missiles
Y = emulates holding the Wii remote vertically - holding Y+A reloads missiles
Start = +
Select = -
Left Trigger = enters first person mode
Right Trigger = first person lock on

Metroid%20Other%20M%20Xbox%20360%20Config.jpg

that's a nice setup you have there for Other M controls. I'll be sure to try that myself.
Sorry to nitpick, but just wanted to point out that technically I think the 'hide' function in Dolphin is basically the same as blocking the wiimote's camera with your hand, so the sensor bar isn't visible. At least that's how I understand it, otherwise your controls wouldn't make sense.
As soon as you press L trigger, it's as if you're uncovering the camera, which has the same effect as turning the wiimote to face the sensor bar.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
that's a nice setup you have there for Other M controls. I'll be sure to try that myself.
Sorry to nitpick, but just wanted to point out that technically I think the 'hide' function in Dolphin is basically the same as blocking the wiimote's camera with your hand, so the sensor bar isn't visible. At least that's how I understand it, otherwise your controls wouldn't make sense.
As soon as you press L trigger, it's as if you're uncovering the camera, which has the same effect as turning the wiimote to face the sensor bar.

Yes, this is exactly right. I just put "emulating your Wii remote aiming at the screen" to help noobs like me better understand. My config is emulating the Wii remote being vertical instead of sideways which is why the d-pad looks off. In other words, I programmed right for up and down for right but it comes out perfectly in game.

I'm having so much fun now playing this again. It's a damn shame the didn't use the nun-chuck in it to begin with, but these controls make it so much more playable. I also lowered the resolution to 720p and I'm getting a lot better performance. There's still some occasional slowdown, particularly when saving, but lowering the resolution helps a lot. This really makes me want to build a HTPC now. Anyway, I thought I'd share some screen shots as well. I really love the way this game looks now!

R3OE01-1.png

R3OE01-3.png

micster

Managed to get Mario Kart LAN working between my Mac Mini and Macbook Pro running Windows 7 on the same network. No idea if it's going to work over internet, though. About to send off the files to my girlfriend and then we'll see if they find and connect to each other. Made a really small crappy video showing the two working together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBHg3Mc_0dA

There's some quirks though. Sometimes when choosing LAN mode it says on one computer that you're not supposed to connect a Gamecube to a PC. If you get that then you just need to try LAN mode again. Also you sometimes get a linking error after the swooping cutscenes of the track, I got past that by simply skipping the cutscene.

Reclaimer

Potentially stupid question:

I have a Wii U. (And a Wii in a box in the closet)

Is there any way for me to transfer saves back and forth from Wii U to
Dolphin and back again?

Thanks!

Also, is there any reason a wireless Xbox controller wouldn't work the same as a wired one? I see most people have wired controllers.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Dolphin and back again?

Thanks!

Also, is there any reason a wireless Xbox controller wouldn't work the same as a wired one? I see most people have wired controllers.

I'm not 100% sure but here's a start

Dolphin has a built-in converter.
Open Dolphin, go to Tools->Wii Save Import and select the data.bin file (contained in the ZIP archive you attached). All of its files will be extracted to the game save folder.

As for the second part, I believe most people have the wired pad because it's plug and play via usb whereas the wireless one needs a separate bluetooth receiver for your pc.

Rufus

As for the second part, I believe most people have the wired pad because it's plug and play via usb whereas the wireless one needs a separate bluetooth receiver for your pc.
Which isn't being sold separately any more, so people aren't using the controller they got with their Xbox on the PC. Also, I seem to remember some games having problems with the wireless version that wouldn't occur with the wired one, for whatever reason.

Pro

anyone have config for Skies of Arcadia Legends? Im getting terrible framerate here.

I would also like a working config for SoA. But even more than that I'd like a working config for Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I've only ever got it to run with a really greenish tint to the whole color scheme and some other quirks. Anyone know of any versions and/or configs that run either of these games well?

jediyoshi

Dolphin and back again?

Thanks!

Assuming the Wii mode in the Wii U functions identically as far as moving save files around, you'd just need to use the system tools to move it to an sd card and transfer those files onto your computer. Dolphin has a built in save importer, though if there's a ton of saves on your card there's no real easy way to identify which saves are which.

The receivers needed to use the wireless controllers on PC are proprietary and are harder to get a hold of officially. There's tons of offbrand ones that ironically are probably just as reliable though. Since you're manually mapping everything from the get go, the functionality is identical for Dolphin.

Mit-

Yes, this is exactly right. I just put "emulating your Wii remote aiming at the screen" to help noobs like me better understand. My config is emulating the Wii remote being vertical instead of sideways which is why the d-pad looks off. In other words, I programmed right for up and down for right but it comes out perfectly in game.

I'm having so much fun now playing this again. It's a damn shame the didn't use the nun-chuck in it to begin with, but these controls make it so much more playable. I also lowered the resolution to 720p and I'm getting a lot better performance. There's still some occasional slowdown, particularly when saving, but lowering the resolution helps a lot. This really makes me want to build a HTPC now. Anyway, I thought I'd share some screen shots as well. I really love the way this game looks now!

How well does the IR joystick emulation work? Does it look like Goldeneye N64 aiming? Or does it somehow keep the reticle locked in the center of the screen?

jediyoshi

How well does the IR joystick emulation work? Does it look like Goldeneye N64 aiming? Or does it somehow keep the reticle locked in the center of the screen?

The pointer resets itself back to the center mirroring the joystick itself. I imagine you could try mimicking one that stays around wherever it stops by using another program to have the joystick move your computer cursor around and set the pointer as the cursor.

Mit-

The pointer resets itself back to the center mirroring the joystick itself. I imagine you could try mimicking one that stays around wherever it stops by using another program to have the joystick move your computer cursor around and set the pointer as the cursor.

Sounds like Goldeneye/TimeSplitters D: Perhaps a bit worse (I'm assuming it snaps back to the center of the screen fairly quickly).

I think my ideal control scheme would actually be one that used a nunchuk/wiimote combo. Identical controls as above, only instead of left joystick to aim I'd use the IR.

Seik

Banned
Well I just tried everything your tutorial said, Kokonoe, but it didn't wanted to connect in the end.

Went to the SCHTHACK website where I learned I needed to send them my serial and access key to schtserv@gmail.com, when I tried to via my hotmail address, all my attempts failed, are they still active? I don't really know what to do now. :/

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out here. For Christmas I got myself a new CPU (Intel i5-3570k), a new motherboard (MSI Z77A-G43) and a cooling fan for overclocking (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO) so that I can maximize myself for playing games. The issue I see here is I'm benchmarking myself with the Galaxy games and using LLE for audio, and the games tend to run fine, but I am occasionally getting some FPS issues that dip performance 5-10 FPS. Now, is this normal, or does this have to do with my settings? Running the game at 3.8 GHz seems fine, and 4.0 to 4.2 tend to offer minor boosts, but I was wondering if I would get any benefit from increasing the speed to 4.5 or something? I've never really done overclocking so I'm worried I'll blow all of this new stuff, but I've rarely seen any test results on the Dolphin wiki that have my CPU at those speeds, which makes me wonder if there's a setting issue. Just glancing at the Galaxy page, most results that say the game runs 100% with no FPS dips are at settings I clearly meet, but I'm not getting the same results..

teiresias

Can anyone suggest a good controller-based setup - either X360 controller or Wii Classic Controller - for playing the Wii versions of the Metroid Prime games (from the Trilogy)? Is this even advisable?

I only ask because I cannot find any way to make my Wiimote work properly with Dolphin. It loses connection with the Wiimote one minutes into the game and the lag is horrible - this seems to be a rather common problem on the newer version of Dolphin, though I can't seem to tell whether it's Dolphin or my Bluetooth drivers.

Is it me or the anti-aliasing options in the OGL/DX11 render modes doesn't actually works? I'm not talking about visuals only but it seems like there are no hit in performance either regardless of the AA type I chose, SSAAx4(DX9) is very noticeable however.

Can anyone comment on this please? Also DX11 apparently don't work in 3.5

Top Bottom