• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Tess3ract

Banned
Anyone know how I can get F-Zero GX to have a good framerate? Is there any special settings that I can use? I have a MBP Retina 15" with 2.6GHz quad core i7 and 16GB ram. I only get 15-20 fps, and the game looks like it is running very slow.
That's because that's how emulation works. When you get 20 fps it really means the game is running at 1/4 speed

Tess3ract

Banned
I've heard these arguments before, and there was a thread on the topic recently, but I didn't believe it until I had this revelation while playing Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 remake for PC) a while ago. I found out that I prefer the way it looks in 720p than 1080p on my monitor. The added blur from the upscaling made it look more natural and realistic by hiding blemishes inherent in today's 3D rendering engines, while playing it on the monitor's native resolution reveals all the sharp polygon edges and seams, giving a "clinical", artificial look.
Or you could downsample like a normal person.

Ledsen

Anyone know how I can get F-Zero GX to have a good framerate? Is there any special settings that I can use? I have a MBP Retina 15" with 2.6GHz quad core i7 and 16GB ram. I only get 15-20 fps, and the game looks like it is running very slow.

You can get a computer with a better CPU. That's about it. Dolphin is very demanding.

Miker

Besides a better computer, right click on the game in the main dolphin window and make sure enable dual core is checked. I think it's turned off by default. It has stability issues, but it gives a speed boost.

Fantasmo

zss(Disable DOF/FOG, SweetFX used)
iLbBOARqU7dh9.png

ib1QfY9Qy5s0zZ.png

inhdGTQ9yahtR.png

ilp7r2n2j2gvg.png

inroFVYeTJDVP.png

ib0WHO05lefMbL.png

izT7oSsFqAhKu.png
Okay between Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Dolphin I gotta know. What's SweetFX and how in blimey does it makes games look like that?

Fantasmo

It's a post-process candy coating injector.
I don't know what an injector is but I'm guessing its a "force graphics to look like this type of thing"

Does it reduce performance for Cpu or just Gpu? My 670 has a ton of headroom with Dolphin but my stock 3770k struggles.

blackbeetleking, where do you disable DOF and FOG? Is it something you've edited in sweetfx or is there an option in dolphin? I'm at work right now and can't check.

Edit: Apologies, posted from my phone originally and addressed the wrong member. Thanks to those that answered the question below.

Pro

^ Really a question for BlackBeetleKing. But my question is what Dolphin build are you using so that the draw distance is not blurred anymore? My Skyward Sword looks and runs great except for a blurry effect in the background and an aura around Link sometimes.

Tess3ract

Banned
That's the "fog" they put in the game. It's a kind of DOF and it looks like shit when you are playing higher than normal res.

You turn it off in the options of the game before launching it.

BasilZero

My computer specs are:

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
-AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4 CPUs) 2.8 ghz
-RAM: 6gb
-Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Is there a general set of settings for all games or would I have to have a certain aspects to certain games?

Also atm without altering my settings (using the default settings) I am getting 30fps o.o, anyway to improve that or is that the max I can have it on my system?

(Really new to the scene so ya...lol).

P.S. Are the guides in the OP recent...or...o_O?

This crashes everytime I open it.....except when it uses my intergrated video card...which means things run like garbage.

I have a GTX 660M but it doesn't seem to like that one too much since it crashes as soon as I try to run any game or even config the graphics.

Sucks.

Ledsen

My computer specs are:

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
-AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4 CPUs) 2.8 ghz
-RAM: 6gb
-Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Is there a general set of settings for all games or would I have to have a certain aspects to certain games?

Also atm without altering my settings (using the default settings) I am getting 30fps o.o, anyway to improve that or is that the max I can have it on my system?

(Really new to the scene so ya...lol).

P.S. Are the guides in the OP recent...or...o_O?

Unfirtunately your CPU isn't good enough for good fps in Dolphin in most games.

Jarmel

Banned
I've been trying to run No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle and every time I hit the overworld map(location selection thing), the game freezes.

Seik

Banned
Heh, those Skyward Sword pics makes me want to play it again,
Hero Mode style.

This game is a wonderful experience on Dolphin.

This crashes everytime I open it.....except when it uses my intergrated video card...which means things run like garbage.

I have a GTX 660M but it doesn't seem to like that one too much since it crashes as soon as I try to run any game or even config the graphics.

Sucks.

Optimus based laptop? If so, you may have to configure it manually in the nvidia settings to use the 660M.

tiku

Well, it's not the SAME CPU. It's an evolution from Broadway, that's correct.

I don't have time to fully explain the details, but you have to consider that Broadway had a CPU clock of 500 +/- mhz and WiiU has a CPU Clock 'marked' at 1,2 Ghz, L3 cache and three cores.

Basic architecture is there at both CPU's, but i don't think we'll see anything soon unless Dolphin code is really polished.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well, it's not the SAME CPU. It's an evolution from Broadway, that's correct.

I don't have time to fully explain the details, but you have to consider that Broadway had a CPU clock of 500 +/- mhz and WiiU has a CPU Clock 'marked' at 1,2 Ghz, L3 cache and three cores.

Basic architecture is there at both CPU's, but i don't think we'll see anything soon unless Dolphin code is really polished.

Personally, I'm interested in the feasibility of simply emulating WiiU on a PC, it doesn't have to be in real time.

friz898

I hope you guys don't hold it against me that I didnt want to search or read 93pages of posts, but is there a common knowledge fix for the sound issues in Punchout?

I googled, and saw some people saying HLE makes it work for them, but several others saying it didnt.

Currently I have the problem that seems to be widespread of "zombie voices" in the game.

Thanks if anybody takes time to provide a fix. My computer shouldnt be the problem (i would like to believe) as I'm running 2500k, 570gtx, and 12 gigs ram. I also don't really have the AA etc turned up, and maintain 50-60 fpgs during fights.

F-Zero GX is a very demanding game, but you should check the properties of the game (right click over it) and enable the checkbox to use another core of the CPU. The game becomes more inestable but you should get a boost of FPS.

Edit: oh, beaten.

I hope you guys don't hold it against me that I didnt want to search or read 93pages of posts, but is there a common knowledge fix for the sound issues in Punchout?

I googled, and saw some people saying HLE makes it work for them, but several others saying it didnt.

Currently I have the problem that seems to be widespread of "zombie voices" in the game.

Thanks if anybody takes time to provide a fix. My computer shouldnt be the problem (i would like to believe) as I'm running 2500k, 570gtx, and 12 gigs ram. I also don't really have the AA etc turned up, and maintain 50-60 fpgs during fights.

You should use LLE emulation, that fix most sound problems in games were HLE is broken. But your FPS will took a hit, so expect stutering in the sound.

friz898

F-Zero GX is a very demanding game, but you should check the properties of the game (right click over it) and enable the checkbox to use another core of the CPU. The game becomes more inestable but you should get a boost of FPS.

Edit: oh, beaten.

You should use LLE emulation, that fix most sound problems in games were HLE is broken. But your FPS will took a hit, so expect stutering in the sound.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. I didnt try it because I had read about the sound stuttering. I figured by now, there was an easy fix for 100% Punch Out gaming.

spk

Anyone else experience emulated wiimote lag? It makes SMG and SS unplayable. How easy is it to set up a 360 config with those and does it work as efficiently?

Grief.exe

So you just install SweetFX in the Dolphin root folder like you would normally?

@Black Beetle

Can you post your sweetfx settings?

Would look amazing when I start my play through of metroid prime.

VertPin

Got my copy of TP from gamecube up and running.
Is there a correct set up I should be following? Game runs bad, and I have the power to play games on PC max settings. Any one know how I can set it up to run well? :)

Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @3.30 GHz.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560.
Terebyte HDD
8 gigs of ram.

aznpxdd

Sorry if its been asked a bunch already, but this thread is too big to look through.

How do I run F-Zero GX in widescreen mode? I keep getting black bars on the side after messing with the settings.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sorry if its been asked a bunch already, but this thread is too big to look through.

How do I run F-Zero GX in widescreen mode? I keep getting black bars on the side after messing with the settings.

FZero GX has its own native widescreen mode. Just go to Options inside the game's menu.

Got my copy of TP from gamecube up and running.
Is there a correct set up I should be following? Game runs bad, and I have the power to play games on PC max settings. Any one know how I can set it up to run well? :)

Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @3.30 GHz.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560.
Terebyte HDD
8 gigs of ram.

Well Dolphin is very CPU intensive so that's the problem, some games requires of the top CPU's to run at full speed, even more with newer builds that aims at accuracy at the cost of requiring more CPU power.

In you case you could use older builds, otherwise there's a specific hack for TP that has to be enable for the properties menu of the game, unless is automatically enabled.

Also try to use other graphical plugins like OpenGL, sometimes they're faster.

VertPin

Well Dolphin is very CPU intensive so that's the problem, some games requires of the top CPU's to run at full speed, even more with newer builds that aims at accuracy at the cost of requiring more CPU power.

In you case you could use older builds, otherwise there's a specific hack for TP that has to be enable for the properties menu of the game, unless is automatically enabled.

Also try to use other graphical plugins like OpenGL, sometimes they're faster.

OpenGL seems to be the fastest for TP, and I am using the ZTP hack in the properties to make fields like Hyrule run faster. (Usually dips to 18 FPS when getting there). Any specific build I should use for this game? Would love to replay it.

OpenGL seems to be the fastest for TP, and I am using the ZTP hack in the properties to make fields like Hyrule run faster. (Usually dips to 18 FPS when getting there). Any specific build I should use for this game? Would love to replay it.

Here's the wiki page: http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess_(GC)

There's a bunch of different testings in several builds on a fair range of hardware settings. You could also go and try 3.0 directly, is the last oficial stable release and is faster than newer builds.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Epic Mickey 2
This game has some fantastic animations! They really made an effort to replicate that Disney style of stretch and squash, etc.

be sure to enable progressive scan in dolphin (under graphics->advanced)

ie859CDSyldTI.png

icyHLDoTErAqO.png

ibpVD6C5BhH0iu.png

crashed on me after that...
SweetFX would probably do this game justice.

Miker

Has anybody found a build that makes F-Zero GX stable with dual core? I can't play more than a few minutes in grand prix without it crashing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I have tried this out, and while awesome, it never runs quite flawlessly enough to actually play.

For instance TTS looks great at high res on my PC but its unplayable do to audio and video glitches... so I end up playing on my Wii...

Same with LoZ WW. Looks great for screenshots, but not as playable as my Wii...

For people posting amazing looking TP and SS screens, is it a playable game for start to finish like that? I own TP, but haven't beat it yet.(water temple) and waiting to beat that before I get SS.

If skyward sword is just as easy to play from start to finish I would love to play it through my PC on my 55" rather than use my Wii. SD looks terrible on it..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Has anybody found a build that makes F-Zero GX stable with dual core? I can't play more than a few minutes in grand prix without it crashing.

That game just seems crash prone in general as far as I can tell. Sometimes I can make it through a full GP, other times I can't even do one race or practice run before it decides to crap itself.

Save states between races are basically your best bet.

Hypatia

For people posting amazing looking TP and SS screens, is it a playable game for start to finish like that?

I've never even put Skyward Sword in my Wii, I've only ever played it on my PC. So yes, it's totally playable from start to finish.

Haven't tried TP beyond the first dungeon though.

Miker

That game just seems crash prone in general as far as I can tell. Sometimes I can make it through a full GP, other times I can't even do one race or practice run before it decides to crap itself.

Save states between races are basically your best bet.

:( Thanks for the reply.

Question about setting resolution. These games are 640x480 so I should use a multiple of this or my monitor resolution? 2560x1600 or 1960x1440. And for wide screen games 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 etc.

Top Bottom