• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Overall is Xenoblade playable on Dolphin? If so i'd consider importing it, but if it's glitchy/slow as hell i'll wait.

Specs:
i5 2500k
8GB RAM
GTX 570

Thanks in advance for the info ! :)

JCV said:
Overall is Xenoblade playable on Dolphin? If so i'd consider importing it, but if it's glitchy/slow as hell i'll wait.

Specs:
i5 2500k
8GB RAM
GTX 570

Yes, it looks and runs spectacularly. You just have to download a special revision of Dolphin to prevent having audio issues.

Black_Stride said:
Hey guys im getting a weird ghraphical bug in XenoBlade using r7716.
The FPS is a solid 24+ (which is the main reason i switched up from 3.0(i was getting 20 and when lucky 24,25)

But now this happens every now and then:

Graphics Normal
graphicsnormaln8mi.png

Graphics when the game wants to fuck with me
graphicsnotnormal98kt.png

Anyone else encountered this, or know a fix?

P.S Ive seen people posting SSAA options, is this Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing? If it is which revision has this option, cuz my V3.0 doesnt have it, and neither does r7716.
use the DX9 renderer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wrapped up the Palace of Twilight tonight. I think it is an excellent dungeon. Its quite short, but having the dungeon separated into three main sections makes it flow really well. No tedious backtracking. I liked the Phantom Zant battles, and killing off the Zant head statues things to make key chests appear is cool. Most of all I really love the escape sequences with the Twilight energy ball thing, ominous floating hand following close behind. It's a pretty neat dungeon and quite a lot of fun.

The final Zant battle is excellent too. I love how it shifts through various boss battles from the adventure, while mixing them up with some Zant style twists. The fact it makes good use of multiple items and keeps you on your toes is good. But, like all bosses, its too easy.

Here's some screenshots from this particular section of the game, then it's on to Hyrule Castle, the final chapter of this adventure.

z1y7js.jpg

z2r795.jpg

z3a7q0.jpg

z4j7v5.jpg

z5i756.jpg

z6w7wz.jpg

z7e7b0.jpg

z887e3.jpg

z9h7ag.jpg

z10q7wg.jpg

z11w777.jpg

z12i7cb.jpg

z13b7vr.jpg

z14t7gu.jpg

z1507p5.jpg

z16x7g0.jpg

z17h7il.jpg

And finally, just for Ubermatik:

z1qwpt.jpg

z24w7d.jpg

z3a34k.jpg

z4rwvr.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
_Alkaline_ said:
TP's modelling is just phenomenal for a Gamecube game.

I was actually just thinking that SS may be lower poly... at least for Skyloft, the dungeons look great.

coopolon

I used Dolphin for the first time today. Playing Resident Evil 4 Wii with m/kb. It plays pretty much exactly like re5 does on PC which is pretty good (I know, mouse makes it too easy, etc.) It's way better than PC version of RE4.

Pretty good experience so far. Occasional slow down to 20fps or so, but when it slows down it's not like most PC games where things start studdering or whatever, everything actually just moves slower, so I'm actually finding it pretty playable. The music does cut out fairly regularly which is too bad.

why post so many shots that could be considered spoilers if someone BY SOME STRANGE CHANCE HAS NOT YET PLAYED THE GAME.

jk, the game is ancient yet legendary, nice shots.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I feel sorry for those suckers. Especially after this next post. But for there sake...

HUGE, END GAME TWILIGHT PRINCESS SPOILER IMAGES BELOW

I've tackled Hyrule Castle, and that's a wrap. Though very short and not really a dungeon, I like the way Hyrule Castle is laid out. I like that there are multiple paths through the palace, and different ways to obtain the key to the main door. I went for the graveyard option.

The interior castle has some of the toughest fights in the game, mostly the 2v1 Darknut battle. Those guys pack a punch and take a hit, and that battle in particular is probably the hardest in the entire game.

As the game peaks, the three back-to-back boss fights make for one of the most memorable sequences in any Zelda game, in my opinion. Fighting possessed Zelda is a nod to the Ganondorf battle from Ocarina of Time, and the remixed Zelda's Lullaby is a cool battle tune. The Ganon fight is speedy and pretty epic, and mixes in wolf combat pretty well too. The quality drops a bit when you get out on the field. I don't like the horseback sequence, mostly because Zelda is a shitty aim, and Nintendo didn't program a horse in, but instead a manic dog. Epona sucks in Twilight Princess. The actual Ganondorf sword battle is neat and quite epic, but easily exploited with the back slash move, and is ripe with really shoddy collision detection. It's not cool to see your sword go straight through an undefended Ganondorf and have it no register any damage. A bit sloppy.

But even with its flaws the entire sequence is really awesome. It's essentially three boss fights rolled into one, with a few gimmicks and extras thrown in for good measure. Compared to the usual Zelda end bosses, its a really epic and lengthy climax.

Anyway, here are some screenshots from the end sequence. More than ever before, so sorry about that. I've also got a whole bunch from the nice scenery shots during the credits, but I'll post them tomorrow or something.

z194c3.jpg

z2f35p.jpg

z3z5i6.jpg

z496e0.jpg

z5o66l.jpg

z6u508.jpg

z7k3st.jpg

z8c4jr.jpg

z9wwtv.jpg

z10bwxk.jpg

z11m6t6.jpg

z126wmn.jpg

z13r0yi.jpg

z14w606.jpg

z15w6p8.jpg

z16swhn.jpg

z17vw14.jpg

z18n35c.jpg

z19p649.jpg

z20q6ko.jpg

z21l7xh.jpg

z2257de.jpg

z2347a9.jpg

z24v740.jpg

Oh, and if anybody was wondering, I took a grand total of 1,781 screenshots during this playthrough, resulting in 10.3GB of data. I think I went mad with FRAPS. So, if anybody has any request for any extra shots from anywhere and any cut scene in the game, just let me know because I've probably got more of in the archive.

Vollume said:
I only played the GC version and even on a CRT it was a very ugly game, seeing these screenshots of TP makes me want to reevaluate the game graphically. I really want to replay that dungeon with the snow giant, I don't remember what it's called all I remember was that it was my favorite of the entire game.
Maybe it's just me, but I actually think the bloom lighting did a lot to hurt the game graphically.

SecretMoblin said:
Is Twilight Princess the best-looking Gamecube game not called "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker"?
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 would like to have a word with you. And F-Zero GX. And Star Fox Adventures. And Resident Evil 4. And Rogue Squadron 3. God damn the Gamecube had a lot of awesome looking games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
JCV said:

Specs:
i5 2500k
8GB RAM
GTX 570

Thats the exact setup im using, and with r7716 i never got below 24 frames(PAL) running at 2560 x 2112 internal res.

So yeah, you will be able to tear the game apart easy.

InsertCredit said:
use the DX9 renderer.

Hell yeah, it worked no more random color bursts, plus SSAA looks much better than the DX11 Anti-Aliasing.
Although putting it at 9 times Super Sampled slows everything way down to 15-20 frames....but i just had to see what it looked like.
Back to 4 times for me(still spectacular)

Why would anyone use DX11 over DX9? As far as i can tell DX9 does everything better.

Gvaz

Banned
Black_Stride said:
Thats the exact setup im using, and with r7716 i never got below 24 frames(PAL) running at 2560 x 2112 internal res.

So yeah, you will be able to tear the game apart easy.

Hell yeah, it worked no more random color bursts, plus SSAA looks much better than the DX11 Anti-Aliasing.
Although putting it at 9 times Super Sampled slows everything way down to 15-20 frames....but i just had to see what it looked like.
Back to 4 times for me(still spectacular)

Why would anyone use DX11 over DX9? As far as i can tell DX9 does everything better.
11 is buggier/newer. As such it's not as good. Plus dx9 you can put AA on (AA has less of a perf hit than SSAA in dolphin)

jediyoshi

Black_Stride said:

2x aa. Somtimes the jump straight to 4x can be too taxing and the trade off between a higher internal res instead is preferable. Historically some problems have been solved using d3d11. There's so little of a performance difference for me it doesn't really warrant switching back and forth.

Gvaz

Banned
If you have a gtx570 ssaa should be okay, but at high resolutions it's pretty taxing as it is.

You've got 4x the resolution then you're doing another 4x or more on top of it? Jesus

JEKKI

maaaan I was reading up a bit on this emulation stuff this morning and Im pretty excited!!!!

especially since I just gave my Wii to mine mom n dad so they can have a netflix machine lol.

but the real question I wanna ask is, can the emulator play the Fatal Frame 4 translation??

there was some weird way of doing it on the regular Wii, and Im wondering if the emulator will support that as well since Fatal Frame is the only game left on Wii that I still wanna play (other than all those JRPGs)

coz yah, if Dolphin won't support the Fatal Frame fan translation then I dont think I'll even bother

Gvaz

Banned
JEKKI said:
maaaan I was reading up a bit on this emulation stuff this morning and Im pretty excited!!!!

especially since I just gave my Wii to mine mom n dad so they can have a netflix machine lol.

but the real question I wanna ask is, can the emulator play the Fatal Frame 4 translation??

there was some weird way of doing it on the regular Wii, and Im wondering if the emulator will support that as well since Fatal Frame is the only game left on Wii that I still wanna play (other than all those JRPGs)

coz yah, if Dolphin won't support the Fatal Frame fan translation then I dont think I'll even bother
There wasn't any real "weird" way of playing it, you just play it like any old game from the harddrive or whatever.

(I never finished that game but the "running" in that game sucked, she just shuffles and it's really slow and offputting)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
@EatChildren
any ultra high-res action shots from the battle with morpheel?
or just any dynamic shots from the game in general you'd like to share?

JEKKI

Gvaz said:
There wasn't any real "weird" way of playing it, you just play it like any old game from the harddrive or whatever.

(I never finished that game but the "running" in that game sucked, she just shuffles and it's really slow and offputting)
I've never done a hard drive play tho... everything I've ever played was on disc.

I thought the translation was streamed while playing the game or something as opposed to actually patching the iso...

Tomodachi

Took some pictures of TP from the beginning of the game just for the sake of it. I'm surprised how little I remember from this game. I would love to play it again for good but I don't have a lot of time for retrogaming :(

I'm using DX11, AAx2 and 1080p as native resolution. I'm sure I will have to lower that as soon as I reach the Hyrule field.

EDIT: I made it so that you get the direct link to the full resolution image when you click the thumbnail, can anyone confirm that it works? :)

Luigiv

JEKKI said:
I thought the translation was streamed while playing the game or something as opposed to actually patching the iso...
Yes, the original patch worked like that (the translation team was very anti piracy), however it took all of about a day for another hacker to figure out how to patch the ISO like you'd normally expect. Dolphin should be able to run the patched ISO, no problem.

Eiji

Cuban Legend said:
I still can't get used to looking at the mirrored Wii version of TP. eew

Same here. It's a real shame the GC version doesn't have true widescreen. The Dolphin 16:9 hack has bugs with the water.

EatChildren

Andrex said:
No
Zant neck snap
EatChildren?

Unfortunately not. I must have missed it. Instead I got the before and after.

z1z5a6.jpg

z2z2mf.jpg

gumby_trucker said:
@EatChildren
any ultra high-res action shots from the battle with morpheel?
or just any dynamic shots from the game in general you'd like to share?

Just got the best Morpheel ones I could (which aren't too hot, sorry). I'll have to dig through the others later.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EC, did you get a shot of the part where Midna and Link exchange a quick "We're badasses" look after beating Dark Beast Ganon?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Tomodachi said:
EDIT: I made it so that you get the direct link to the full resolution image when you click the thumbnail, can anyone confirm that it works? :)

I can confirm they all work, nice pics man!

edit: @EatChildren thanks for the morpheel shots! They're still much better than nothing ;)
and may I add, it's really nice to have my request acknowledged, despite the fact that I'm a complete n00b on this forum.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Eiji said:
Same here. It's a real shame the GC version doesn't have true widescreen. The Dolphin 16:9 hack has bugs with the water.
I am no graphics programming expert but shouldn't this be the kind of issue Dolphin is perfectly suited to solving?
How difficult would it be to write a custom shader that mirrors the entire frame buffer before spitting it out to the screen? Then the only thing you'd have to do is flip the control scheme by assigning the "left" key to "right", etc.

The problem with this approach is that all text would be mirrored, but maybe someone with a better understanding of Dolphin knows how to keep the HUD and 2D elements in the game untouched since they are probably rendered separately anyway (I mean I know you can play around with just the HUD in dolphin so maybe this is possible).

Anybody more knowledgeable than I care to comment on this method? This is basically what I figured the Wii was doing to the original GC version when I thought about what would be the easiest way to go about it.. although I do remember reading that Nintendo took the far more complicated route of flipping all assets in the game, so maybe I'm missing something.

After seeing Eatchildren's TP posts I decided I finally have to play it properly, only ever got 5-6 hours in. Im playing at max internal res (4x) on my 2560x1440 iMac, my god it looks awesome.

EatChildren

Andrex said:
EC, did you get a shot of the part where Midna and Link exchange a quick "We're badasses" look after beating Dark Beast Ganon?

Unfortunately not. I seem to have missed a few shots during that sequence.

Anyway, here are the credit shots I was talking about.

z1iq4x.jpg

z2iqq8.jpg

z37o99.jpg

z4up40.jpg

z5krw6.jpg

z66oh9.jpg

EatChildren

What to play next, what to play next...

marioqutn.jpg

Red

gumby_trucker said:
I am no graphics programming expert but shouldn't this be the kind of issue Dolphin is perfectly suited to solving?
How difficult would it be to write a custom shader that mirrors the entire frame buffer before spitting it out to the screen? Then the only thing you'd have to do is flip the control scheme by assigning the "left" key to "right", etc.

The problem with this approach is that all text would be mirrored, but maybe someone with a better understanding of Dolphin knows how to keep the HUD and 2D elements in the game untouched since they are probably rendered separately anyway (I mean I know you can play around with just the HUD in dolphin so maybe this is possible).

Anybody more knowledgeable than I care to comment on this method? This is basically what I figured the Wii was doing to the original GC version when I thought about what would be the easiest way to go about it.. although I do remember reading that Nintendo took the far more complicated route of flipping all assets in the game, so maybe I'm missing something.
You can play the WII version mirrored no problem, if that's what you're talking about here. Just enable the TP bloom hack.

Grampasso

I got the emulator running fine for Wii but I have a lot of problems with GC (Skies of Arcadia Legends). The main problem is with Audio, in particular during the first boss the emulator crashes and I have to stop the process from the Task Manager. Any tip about to resolve this problem?

Grampasso said:
I got the emulator running fine for Wii but I have a lot of problems with GC (Skies of Arcadia Legends). The main problem is with Audio, in particular during the first boss the emulator crashes and I have to stop the process from the Task Manager. Any tip about to resolve this problem?
Did you try LLE?

donarumo

Neo Member
Playing GC version of Twilight Princess. Every time I try to open the boss door in the Goron mine, the Game freezes. Found one forum that said this was fixed but I'm using the latest download for Dolphin.

Anyone know a method around this issue or a way to fix it?

Top Bottom