• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Skilletor said:
I want to play Skyward Sword on the Dolphin.

Anybody think that'll be feasible with all of the motion controls necessary in the game?

You will not get the integral experience out of Skyward Sword without motion controls, unless you're asking if Dolphin supports M+ just fine, in which case yes it does.

Dolphin allows you to map directional waggle to buttons and functions, so that has allowed people to bypass the Twilight Princess Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns waggle quite easily. Skyward Sword is the complete opposite though. The waggle is not a gesture, its 1:1 motion detection. You'd have a hell of a time trying to map that to anything, as it would be like trying to map an analogue stick to a d-pad - severely limiting and basically broken.

jediyoshi

Dascu said:
Has anyone tried mapping Wii Sports Resort or Red Steel 2's swordplay to a controller or mouse+keyboard?

Wii Sports Resort just freezes up after event selection. Red Steel 2 wouldn't be feasible.

Dascu said:
Has anyone tried mapping Wii Sports Resort or Red Steel 2's swordplay to a controller or mouse+keyboard?

It wouldn't work. You would need 3 analog sticks to cover every axis and even if you did map them, the controls would be unusable in practice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anabuhabkuss said:
eatchildren:

what settings are you using for TP? standard stuff?

Mostly just standard stuff, with full screen resolution set to 1920x1080, and 16x anisotropic filtering. Per-pixel lighting is also on, and EFB Copies are set to RAM. I'm pretty sure you need the latter to make the the map work. Also make sure the Zelda TP hack is enabled, though I think it is enabled automatically when TP is loaded. You should only use it for TP, but it prevents slowdown on Hyrule Field (or something to that effect).

jediyoshi said:
Wii Sports Resort just freezes up after event selection. Red Steel 2 wouldn't be feasible.

Sports Resort works fine for me. I was playing sword fighting in 1080p the other day :p.

Anywho, I finished the City in the Sky, and it ties with the Temple of Time as my least favourite dungeon. I knew there was something up with my memory of the place, which was both extremely vague of it's layout and not entirely sure if I originally enjoyed it.

While the dungeon has some good ideas, and the dual clawshot is way too cool for school, the dungeon highlights a lot of the tedium I dislike in Zelda. Its too slow, and bland to navigate in my opinion. I also think it brings to light some of the fiddly mechanics of Twilight Princess, particularly the automatic jump and the terrible grapple vine collision detection. Mostly I found the dungeon a chore, and couldn't wait for it to be over. The boss fight is pretty neat, but like all the others far too easy.

SCREENS! There's quite a few of Hyrule Field and other locals here too, taken during the pre-City in the Sky statue quest and such.

z1t7ka.jpg

z2c76o.jpg

z3d7d5.jpg

z4c78o.jpg

z5h72j.jpg

z6471j.jpg

z7078s.jpg

z8w7cr.jpg

z9k72n.jpg

z10a7xf.jpg

z1187jy.jpg

z12x705.jpg

z13m7r4.jpg

z14u785.jpg

z15c7ji.jpg

z16t7q7.jpg

z1797px.jpg

Skilletor

Eiji said:
Just use a real Wiimote with sensor bar with Dolphin then.

I didn't know you could do that...

Yay.

Sorry, really new to all this emulation stuff. just got a pc capable of running dolphin. :)

Thanks. Eiji is awesome.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
is there any way yet to use your sensor bar WITHOUT turning on the wii? i dont like the idea of the wii having to be on and eating electricity just to power a sensor bar lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tiduz said:
is there any way yet to use your sensor bar WITHOUT turning on the wii? i dont like the idea of the wii having to be on and eating electricity just to power a sensor bar lol

Buy a wireless sensor bar.

Gvaz

Banned
How are you controlling TP? I was hoping to play it with the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
z3d7d5.jpg

I love TP, but it's hard to look at this and not imagine a completely open, explorable Hyrule Field like Oblivion.

Kuran said:
TP has such an ugly style to it after the eternal beauty that is Wind Waker.

What? TP is gorgeous. It's like the Nintendo take on the LOTR vibe.

It doesn't hold up as well over time as Wind Waker does, granted, but both are fantastic.

I would take TP style a thousand times over the new SS style.

jediyoshi

EatChildren said:
Sports Resort works fine for me. I was playing sword fighting in 1080p the other day :p.

It works for me using actual controllers too, he was asking about using it with emulated controls which don't, for me at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kuran said:
TP has such an ugly style to it after the eternal beauty that is Wind Waker.

TP had a good art style. The architecture and enemy design are some of the best "realistic" style done IMO. And I also liked the character design for the most part... the game's style was very consistent.

I think EatChildren's posts highlight how good TP looked in spite of its hardware.

EatChildren

I love TP's art direction. It makes incredible use of the hardware, and is chock full of little details. Even the low res textures cant turn me off from many of the vistas and sceneries. They might be technically dated, but those shots I took of Hyrule Field, Faron Woods and the outlook over Lake Hylia are gorgeous to me. I love the way everything is positioned, the scope of the environments, and the shaping of the terrain.

But I also love Wind Waker and Skyward Sword's art direction. On one hand I hope Zelda Wii U adopts a creative art direction like (but not exactly) those two games, but on the other I'd also love to see a game with a similar look to Twilight Princess. The hardware would do wonders, as the tech demo showed.

Ubermatik said:
Please EC, some Zora's Domain pics at day in the next batch!

Done!

EatChildren

i5 2500K OC'd from 3.3GHz to 4.3Ghz
8GB DDR3
GTX570 (factory OC'd)

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure I cant run Twilight Princess with any AA. I really wish Dolphin didn't force supersampling as the AA solution. It might be a glorious method of AA, but its way too resource intensive, and given that emulation requires a beefy system by default its hard to use without it destroying the framerate (as I have discovered in other games).

Red

The Antitype said:
What? TP is gorgeous. It's like the Nintendo take on the LOTR vibe.

It doesn't hold up as well over time as Wind Waker does, granted, but both are fantastic.

I would take TP style a thousand times over the new SS style.
You monster

Red

EatChildren said:
8GB DDR3
GTX570 (factory OC'd)

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure I cant run Twilight Princess with any AA. I really wish Dolphin didn't force supersampling as the AA solution. It might be a glorious method of AA, but its way too resource intensive, and given that emulation requires a beefy system by default its hard to use without it destroying the framerate (as I have discovered in other games).
You'll be fine with AA. I use 4x on a 5870, Twilight Princess runs as normal (can't speak to Hyrule field, since I've never left the first area on Dolphin -- but I've played through the forest dungeon with no hitches).

Adding AA in Dolphin typically doesn't create large slowdown in games that run well, at least not in my experience. I haven't dumped my whole collection, but I played Wind Waker at 2560x1600 with 9x SSAA and didn't have much slowdown.

Actually scratch that, I remember having slowdown at 9x. I may have knocked it down to 4x SSAA to achieve near-perfect performance.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
8GB DDR3
GTX570 (factory OC'd)

Thanks!

It looks pretty antialiased to me... Certainly no jaggies in your shots.

You must have a monster of a cooling setup then? I imagine overclocking was very important to get the performance needed, right? I wonder if a GTX 460 could cut it... GPU generally isn't as important with emulation, or so I've been told.

Then again, I don't intend on running Dolphin at anything other than 1080p (or less) at the moment.

Red

Andrex said:
Thanks!

It looks pretty antialiased to me... Certainly no jaggies in your shots.

You must have a monster of a cooling setup then? I imagine overclocking was very important to get the performance needed, right? I wonder if a GTX 460 could cut it... GPU generally isn't as important with emulation, or so I've been told.

Then again, I don't intend on running Dolphin at anything other than 1080p (or less) at the moment.
460 will slice through like butter.

CPU will be what limits you.

I just went to play TP on my own rig but couldn't find my damn wiimote anywhere. I have the nunchuk, but the remote is missing. No idea where it could be.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crunched said:
460 will slice through like butter.

CPU will be what limits you.

I just went to play TP on my own rig but couldn't find my damn wiimote anywhere. I have the nunchuk, but the remote is missing. No idea where it could be.

Sweet!

I know Dolphin is optimized for 64-bit, but what about quad core?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
Sweet!

I know Dolphin is optimized for 64-bit, but what about quad core?
Nope, the software only benefits from duel core, the other 2 cores don't make much difference. But, since PCSX2 has recently made it so it can benefit from multicore, there is a chance Dolphin will in the future.

Mistle

So, I've gotten 3 frozen black screens in WW, and I've only been playing for 30 mins :/ what could cause this? I tried enabling "fix item hang" and I disabled audio throttle, nothing worked. I'm on v3.0 if that matters.

Also, I assume the widescreen hack is used at the expense of having certain objects disappear when outside the 4:3 ratio?

Red

Mistle said:
So, I've gotten 3 frozen black screens in WW, and I've only been playing for 30 mins :/ what could cause this? I tried enabling "fix item hang" and I disabled audio throttle, nothing worked. I'm on v3.0 if that matters.

Also, I assume the widescreen hack is used at the expense of having certain objects disappear when outside the 4:3 ratio?
Try rev 2.0, never had any WW problems with that. Played from start to finish.

The widescreen hack causes some disappearing objects, yes.

EatChildren: I just played a bit of TP to see how AA would affect performance, and I'm getting around 28-30 with one sudden dip to 20 (and right back up again) when entering the twilight realm. This is within Hyrule field. 4x SSAA, 1920x1080.

You have a more powerful cpu and gpu than I do, so go for the AA.

9x SSAA brings me down to 4 fps at the title screen, but 4x is a minimal hit.

EatChildren

Cool, I'll give it a shot tonight. I was mostly concerned about the AA as last I tried was 9xSSAA on Wii Sports Resort, and it crippled it to ~4fps.

Red

EatChildren said:
Cool, I'll give it a shot tonight. I was mostly concerned about the AA as last I tried was 9xSSAA on Wii Sports Resort, and it crippled it to ~4fps.
On the latest revision, the best balance of IQ vs. performance I can get is 3x native resolution (1920x1584) and 2x AA. I don't know what kind of AA it's implementing here, but it works well.

I'm done playing with it for the night though. Set up a wiimote config on my 360 pad, but it sucks playing like this, and I can't find my actual remote anywhere.

I also tried the TP bloom hack, because I really hate how much the bloom is amplified by Dolphin (have I repeated myself enough yet gosh), but can't deal with the reversed world/controls. I guess I'm stuck living with the bloom.

EatChildren

I don't have a 2xAA, only 4 and 9xSSAA.

I keep the internal resolution auto for window size, and just set the fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080.

Red

EatChildren said:
I don't have a 2xAA, only 4 and 9xSSAA.

I keep the internal resolution auto for window size, and just set the fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080.
What revision are you running?

Red

EatChildren said:
Options must have changed in the newer builds I guess. But anyway: you'll be able to use AA, just experiment and see what works for you.

Looking forward to more screens.

Hm, setting EFB to texture and sliding texture cache to fast basically eliminates all speed problems completely. It makes the map kind of funky, but I hardly use that anyway.

Roarer

What are the odds that Skyward Sword will run well on day one? Really tempted to just skip playing it on my Wii and go straight for some Dolphin-enhanced goodness instead...

Roarer said:
What are the odds that Skyward Sword will run well on day one? Really tempted to just skip playing it on my Wii and go straight for some Dolphin-enhanced goodness instead...
I'm hoping for this too but I'll wait and hear some feedback first. The last thing I'd want is to be playing it on my first go through and have constant problems bringing down the experience.

Plus, my setup isn't that great either: Phenom II X3 3.6 OC + ATI 4980.
I'll have to test TP sometime soon and see if I can even run that well first.

Roarer said:
Xenoblade was pretty quick to be optimised wasn't it? Or was that because the Japanese version had already been out for a while.
SS will be focused upon to get working as fast as possible though, it's not like its some obscure game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hey guys im getting a weird ghraphical bug in XenoBlade using r7716.
The FPS is a solid 24+ (which is the main reason i switched up from 3.0(i was getting 20 and when lucky 24,25)

But now this happens every now and then:

Graphics Normal
graphicsnormaln8mi.png

Graphics when the game wants to fuck with me
graphicsnotnormal98kt.png

Anyone else encountered this, or know a fix?

P.S Ive seen people posting SSAA options, is this Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing? If it is which revision has this option, cuz my V3.0 doesnt have it, and neither does r7716.

jediyoshi

Crunched said:
Options must have changed in the newer builds I guess. But anyway: you'll be able to use AA, just experiment and see what works for you.

D3D9 only supports 4/9x SSAA. 2 is a D3D11 option.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Black_Stride said:
P.S Ive seen people posting SSAA options, is this Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing? If it is which revision has this option, cuz my V3.0 doesnt have it, and neither does r7716.
You can do that by changing your resolution to 2x/4x/etc the resolution of your monitor so it scales down. I think you can also do it in your GPU control panel.

I should be doing hw said:
Xenoblade was pretty quick to be optimised wasn't it? Or was that because the Japanese version had already been out for a while.
SS will be focused upon to get working as fast as possible though, it's not like its some obscure game.
It just depends on how well the game already works and whether or not they can fix issues with small tweaks. I haven't really paid much attention recently, but I don't know if there were ever any specific optimizations for Xenoblade, apart from a few patches that weren't from the Dolphin dev team (30fps fix, sound fix that didn't even work for me).

Top Bottom