• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Red

BlackBeetleKing said:
squashed shots
What resolution are you running here/what's up with the stretched bodies?

Are you playing at 1440x900 or are these resized?

Naked Snake said:
Man, TP looks drab.
Yeah. Never been able to play through again after the first time on Wii because of the super long intro and partly because of how muddy it all looks. It's got that same horrendously awful overdone bloom as Metroid Prime 3.

I keep getting to the first dungeon and stopping. Probably done this 8 or 9 times.

And almost every time I forget that damn cat needs two fish.

Gvaz

Banned
BlackBeetleKing ALWAYS has fucked up aspect ratios whenever he post images of things. I don't understand it. It happens so often you think he does it on purpose.

Theonik

Good thing I bought the Wii version of TP for cheap on Friday. Now I have an excuse to play it again.
Edit: Ah, I remember arbitrer grounds, run into a really awful bug on the Gamecube version, on my first run, not Dolphin either.

Gvaz

Banned
My friend was going on about how you couldn't emulate console games. and how much resources it takes, the wii is too powerful to emulate on a pc, etc

It took several minutes and reminding him before he went "okay nvm I was remembering wrong derp" after explaining that the 360 uses 2006~ hardware, and the wii is roughly (for the intents of discussion rather than literal numbers) half as powerful as that, and about 1.25-5 times as strong as a gamecube that came out in 2001 using not the greatest tech at the time either.

He had initially thought some programmer dropped hte ball when I was saying how I ran xenoblade at 4x the resolution.

smfh

Kuran

Banned
Gvaz said:
BlackBeetleKing ALWAYS has fucked up aspect ratios whenever he post images of things. I don't understand it. It happens so often you think he does it on purpose.

It's hilarious at this point. Especially since he doesn't reply to any of the cry's.

Red

Gvaz said:
My friend was going on about how you couldn't emulate console games. and how much resources it takes, the wii is too powerful to emulate on a pc, etc

It took several minutes and reminding him before he went "okay nvm I was remembering wrong derp" after explaining that the 360 uses 2006~ hardware, and the wii is roughly (for the intents of discussion rather than literal numbers) half as powerful as that, and about 1.25-5 times as strong as a gamecube that came out in 2001 using not the greatest tech at the time either.

He had initially thought some programmer dropped hte ball when I was saying how I ran xenoblade at 4x the resolution.

smfh
I've been running my Gamecube and Wii games in HD for 3 years.

Should've just linked him to this thread.

Gvaz

Banned
Crunched said:
I've been running my Gamecube and Wii games in HD for 3 years.

Should've just linked him to this thread.
He's a programmer but he's not a very internety dude afaik. Woulda been a couple days.

Thrakier

I noticed that some audio effects seem to be a little delayed. For example in RE Rebirth navigating the menus, the soundeffects for item switiching seem to be just a tad behind the video. Or when you do a roll in Zelda: TP, the sound effects seems to be a little too late.

So I found this:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showt...#pid149407

Is this true? Because I was searching my system for a bug but found nothing so far. I noticed that the Lag is less with HLE...is this normal or is it my system? In fact, the roll in Zelda sounds pretty much normal with HLE but with LLE it seems like the soundeffect happens when the roll is already done.

Gozan

Gvaz said:

Maybe he's using a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 monitor and thinks it's all youse guys who have stretched shots?

Gvaz

Banned
If that was the case, I think that's the one time I'd be able to tell someone "you're doing it wrong" without coming off as a troll.

Dunno though cause he barely posts words. ANYWAYS this is getting off track.

I'm so glad Skyward Sword is spicing things up visually. Wind Waker knocked it out of the park but fans' bleating caused Nintendo to go back to boring brown Zelda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And Snowpeak is complete. I quite like that stretch of the game, traversing the snow, snowboading down the mountain on icy leaves, and then the dungeon itself which doesn't quite seem like a dungeon at first. It's really well designed, has quite a few gimmicks and puzzles, and looks great to boot. Mixing in the two NPCs made it feel fresh. I think it definitely ranks as one of the best dungeons in the series, but for me it is let down a bit by the boss fight, which is fine in context of the dungeon, but way too easy. It's probably the easiest boss fight in the entire game.

Still, lots of fun, and the ball-and-chain is a freakin' sweet item of doom. Now for screens!

z1hu4e.jpg

z2ouf5.jpg

z3fusx.jpg

z4cu69.jpg

z57uyl.jpg

z6lujj.jpg

z7dun0.jpg

z81ufe.jpg

z94ua1.jpg

z10zu3g.jpg

z118u4g.jpg

z12buhr.jpg

z13uuqq.jpg

z140ur1.jpg

z15vu26.jpg

z16iusw.jpg

z17yu5a.jpg

Rikkun

Ok GAF, I tried again.

Dolphin x64, WW dump, Dualshock3 (yeah I know), new gfx drivers but... it's slow.
640x480 stays on about 90% of speed while playing, with 4xFSAA and 16x anti-thatotherthing
But with gloryous 1024x768 fullscreen (double yeah I know) game falls under 10FPS.
I tried lowering FSAA and antishit to minimum levels, but there are still some issues about speed.

I followed FreeStallion's guide for settings but no gain :(

I have an i5@3.20ghz and an Nvidia G210 (...)

Any suggestion other than go buy new pc lolz?

And what's the fastest way to dump a rom now? I wanted to try TP too :(

PS: build r7719 x64, and CPU usage never went over 40% during tests...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That i5 should be fine. Maybe you're GPU is holding it back. I'm not sure though, as I always thought processing power was key to good emulation. Someone with more smarts will have to give you some advice.

As for dumping disk images, I just use my hacked Wii to dump to my USB, then load them on to my PC.

Ydahs

Oh wow at the TP screens. These won't look out of place on the PS3 or 360 :eek:

Why does everyone complain that TP has muddy textures? Aside from the world map, it looks fantastic. Top notch character models, great atmosphere and beautiful art style.

I really do hope Nintendo allows for up-ressed downloadable GCN games for Wii U. If not, I'll gladly buy ports if any are made.

butanebob

Neo Member
I noticed that some audio effects seem to be a little delayed. For example in RE Rebirth navigating the menus, the soundeffects for item switiching seem to be just a tad behind the video. Or when you do a roll in Zelda: TP, the sound effects seems to be a little too late.

Yeah i get out of sync sound effects when i use LLE while HLE is fine.

Rikkun

EatChildren said:
That i5 should be fine. Maybe you're GPU is holding it back. I'm not sure though, as I always thought processing power was key to good emulation. Someone with more smarts will have to give you some advice.

As for dumping disk images, I just use my hacked Wii to dump to my USB, then load them on to my PC.

Yeah I guessed it too. Isn't the CPU doing the hardest part? GPU should only display it, not really process it.
G210 is pretty bad, I have issues with Magicka too but I can run CiV and L4D2, hope Portal 2 too.

Thanks for the tip, will wait for others suggestion, hopefully I'll dump TP for a good reason.

AbsoluteZero said:
I'm so glad Skyward Sword is spicing things up visually. Wind Waker knocked it out of the park but fans' bleating caused Nintendo to go back to boring brown Zelda.

In which bizarro world was there a "boring brown Zelda" before Wind Waker?? Ocarina and Majora were not boring brown. Yeah you shut your whore mouth! :p

Agree with you though that WW is probably the best looking Zelda, and TP is one of the worst looking.

Stylo

AbsoluteZero said:

Zelda wasn't boring or brown before Wind Waker.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Looking at this thread is not a wise decision....

1. It fills me with great envy since I do not have a Dolphin-capable PC.
2. Unmarked spoilers all over the place. I've just started playing Twilight Princess for the first time and EatChildren's posts, while nice to look at, were filled with many spoilerish things that I do not wish to see :\

Well I suppose it is my fault anyway for checking out this thread.

Persona7

Banned
I like the Yeti's mansion because the interiors have a weird warm glow to them, really cool.

Can someone get a screenshot of the kitchen soup pot thing?

Kenka

Does anybody else experience halved framerate on Xenoblade with Dolphin 2.0 ? The game runs at 12 FPS regardless of the resolution or how much AA I throw at it.

Laughing Banana said:

2. Unmarked spoilers all over the place. I've just started playing Twilight Princess for the first time and EatChildren's posts, while nice to look at, were filled with many spoilerish things that I do wish to see :\

Yeah, it isn't advised since posters tend to select the nicer shots. They often relate to an advanced stage in SMG2 for example or in the case of TP, a part of the overworld that can't be reached from the very beginning.

EatChildren

Laughing Banana said:

2. Unmarked spoilers all over the place. I've just started playing Twilight Princess for the first time and EatChildren's posts, while nice to look at, were filled with many spoilerish things that I do not wish to see :\

Sorry my friend. I post as the game is quite old, and given the nature of this thread I figure those playing TP on Dolphin have already completed it on the GCN/Wii. Best to stay out for a few days. I'll be finished by then.

Finished up the Temple of Time. One of my least favourite dungeons in Twilight Princess for sure. I think that derives from high expectations given the mystery and wonder of the place, and how plain the puzzles are. Its fairly linear and basic. The Dominion Rod is a really neat item, but even that is sadly underused for puzzle complexity. I guess I just don't like how its main use for the temple is dragging that big statue with you right to the first chamber.

On the plus side, the Darknut battle is ridiculously cool, and the boss is one of the nicest looking bosses in the game. Very detailed, and a cool idea, if again (like everything in Twilight Princess) far too easy.

z1af6n.jpg

z2ieuw.jpg

z3gemt.jpg

z4bel1.jpg

z59fn6.jpg

z65e6x.jpg

z7ydlq.jpg

z89dqe.jpg

z90d7w.jpg

z10sdli.jpg

z117e6f.jpg

z12rdkt.jpg

z13vdxs.jpg

z14ye9m.jpg

z15ae74.jpg

z16rdk1.jpg

EatChildren

350662-big_boss_saluteb746.jpg

Playing it again reminds me of how exceptional it really is, but I feel the legacy is tarnished by two things;

1) Pacing. TP has probably the worst pacing of any of the 3D Zelda games. The tears of light quests are boring as shit, especially on replays, and the first ~1/3rd of the game is too heavy handed with tutorials and story. It simply takes far too long for the game to open up and let you do what you want to do, and I feel this is the biggest factor turning people away from replaying the game.

2) The overworld is pretty boring in the grand scheme of things. Its size makes for a lot of completely empty space and a lot of a-to-b travelling, and if not that then simply teleporting. The overworld feels a bit unfinished in my opinion, or like it wasn't used as they originally intended (perhaps a more open game).

Otherwise TP has, in my opinion, the absolute best dungeons and boss fights in the entire Zelda series. Even at their worst the dungeons are loaded with gameplay gimmicks, puzzles and varied use of items. Each dungeon having both a sub-boss and a main boss makes for two memorable unique battles each time, and though easy almost all are really creatively designed and not just "HACK SLASH FIGHT FIGHT". All the dungeons look gorgeous as well, with striking variety between them.

Its everything surrounding them that drags the game down a bit for me, mostly the going from a-to-b to get the dungeons, and the perhaps unnecessarily restricted formula and presentation in trying to make an "Ocarina of Time sequel" or whatever. Ironically, in sticking too close to the formula the 'traditional' dungeons ended up being the apex of the entire series. They feel the most focused and polished aspect of the game for sure.

Different strokes for different folks, as always, but its an excellent game through and through.

Tomodachi

Great, now I want to play TP again and finish it this time. Should I go with cube or wii version? Which works best with Dolphin?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tomodachi said:
Great, now I want to play TP again and finish it this time. Should I go with cube or wii version? Which works best with Dolphin?
Wii has proper widescreen and you can use a pad config to fix having to use a wiimote (which is very tiring to the arm lololol).

Red

Ydahs said:
Oh wow at the TP screens. These won't look out of place on the PS3 or 360 :eek:

Why does everyone complain that TP has muddy textures? Aside from the world map, it looks fantastic. Top notch character models, great atmosphere and beautiful art style.

I really do hope Nintendo allows for up-ressed downloadable GCN games for Wii U. If not, I'll gladly buy ports if any are made.
It's not just muddy textures, it's muddy textures and poor bloom. Nearly the whole game looks smeary and blurred, regardless of what res you're playing at.

I had the same problem with Metroid Prime Corruption.

Twilight Princess is a great game (tough not to call it the most objectively rich Zelda experience), but it's not a technical looker. Saying it wouldn't look out of place on PS3 or 360 is such a huge exaggeration.

Red

Gvaz said:
Yeah no, it would look like a $20 xbla game
Well yeah, sure. A budget title. If we're talking that kind of thing it would beat a few arcade releases. But I got the feeling he was talking major release.

That's not really the fault of the game though. It's a good looking Gamecube title, but that's it. It was meant for older hardware.

EatChildren

Twilight Princess isn't pushing the geometry, texture resolution, shaders or rendering resolution to match the average output on XBLA/PSN, so no, I don't think it would fit into that line-up at all. It's very much a last generation game.

That being said, I do think it is one of the nicest looking games from the last generation, and despite the bloom (which I honestly don't mind too much, just needs to be toned down a couple of notches) is a great looking game by its own merits. The art, like the rest of the series, is absolutely gorgeous, and the dungeons especially are chock full of little details and visual tricks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
EatChildren said:
Sorry my friend. I post as the game is quite old, and given the nature of this thread I figure those playing TP on Dolphin have already completed it on the GCN/Wii. Best to stay out for a few days. I'll be finished by then.

Well alright... but if its possible could you please not post them in the Skyward Sword thread?

EatChildren

Laughing Banana said:
Well alright... but if its possible could you please not post them in the Skyward Sword thread?

I'll post 'em, but just link them (no image tags so they wont appear), and spoiler tag my text, so you wont know unless you click/highlight.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm talking about the community thread. I wont be posting them in the Skyward Sword specific threads.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You know what the funniest thing is about TP's lack of difficulty?

It is still the only 3D Zelda game I've ever died in, and that multiple times.

Wolf form before you get any hearts can be a pain. It's really too bad that nothing else in the game does damage anywhere near that unless you step in some fire wearing the Zora Tunic.

EatChildren

Man God said:
Wolf form before you get any hearts can be a pain. It's really too bad that nothing else in the game does damage anywhere near that unless you step in some fire wearing the Zora Tunic.

Yeah, that is the easiest part of the game to die. You don't have many hearts, and those Twilight beasts take off a heart with each hit.

Skilletor

I want to play Skyward Sword on the Dolphin.

Anybody think that'll be feasible with all of the motion controls necessary in the game?

Eiji

Skilletor said:
I want to play Skyward Sword on the Dolphin.

Anybody think that'll be feasible with all of the motion controls necessary in the game?

Just use a real Wiimote with sensor bar with Dolphin then.

Top Bottom