• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RARE Rebranded for 25th Anniversary

RARE GETS BRAND NEW LOOK AS IT TURNS 25
LONDON – 2 June 2010 - British developer Rare is to celebrate its 25th anniversary in the games industry this summer. Such a landmark provides a natural opportunity to reminisce over what has been a hugely impressive presence throughout that period, and to prepare for an equally influential future with a brand new look.

Throughout Rare’s lifespan, the world of videogames has morphed from the cottage activity of the ’80s into a thriving and vibrant entertainment industry, easily as significant as music and films in today’s market. Rare is extremely proud to have been at the forefront of this metamorphosis.

Now, as the company focuses its vision on an even more exhilarating future, the timing is perfect to introduce a distinctive new look. So Rare is thrilled to unveil its new identity, encompassing a brand new logo and branding soon to be extended to a full website relaunch at www.rare.co.uk.

The new logo is both modern and classic, adjectives that could be applied equally well to Rare itself.

Announcing Rare’s new look, Head of Studio Mark Betteridge said: “Both Rare and the games industry have seen massive changes over the past 25 years, and right now it feels as if both we and the industry are continuing to evolve at an ever-increasing pace. With this landmark anniversary coming up, and knowing that we have a really exciting future ahead, we felt now was the time to have a new image more in keeping with an innovative and creative entertainment company which aspires to be around for at least the next 25 years!”

Various logo examples:

2qcm4c3.jpg

m5zd0.jpg

zkif.jpg

25gco6a.jpg

Kurtofan

I'm crying.
How can you go from Donkey Kong Country,Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers Bad Fur's Day etc... to this?!?!
It screams grocery,not video game developers for fuck's sake!
Rare is dead for me.(and I own a Xbox360)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yucky. At least they stopped being good years ago.

disappeared said:
A dagger in my heart, Rare.

Yep, same here, though I didn't like their past re-branding either (signified the end of an era for me, though it felt like they were clinging on to an aspect of their glory days with the gold logo)

Maybe it's for the best though. Perhaps it signifies the company leaving their past behind them and starting completely afresh with Natal/Wave - which given their current state would be the best thing for them IMO.

Aaron said:
Hate it. Worse than Konami rebrand.

Hey, I actually like the Konami rebrand. It's different but still fits in with what Konami stands for IMO.

commissar

we felt now was the time to have a new image more in keeping with an innovative and creative entertainment company which aspires to be around for at least the next 25 years!”
It looks like pretty much any and every web development brand :|

Gowans

So bland and lacks any personality or identy.

Could be for anything, looks like the style used by the cafe' in my gym.

Peff

Uh, looks like a schoolbook company.

Regardless, logo is irrelevant, I just hope I can see it played by a console soon :(

Hmmm...well, not a fan, but I'm rarely (ha!) a fan of new logos for old developers and publishers...probably because of a strong association more than a difference in quality. Still prefer the old classic R to be used as part of the main word. On the whole, though, it might as well happen since they can't satisfy the hardcore, or so-called hardcore Rare fan of old. Drop the baggage of association and reinvent, I suppose.

Empty

makes sense. that gold logo would look very out of place on the modern lifestyle branding they'll need to use for natal fit.

Dynoro

grandjedi6 said:
So what will the New Rare do if Natal doesn't live up to (financial) expectations?
Probably be sold off
then picked up by Ninty for a Goldeneye remake

commissar

The silhouette R always reminded me of a new page for a notepad.
A sort of "what shall we do next?!" thing of excitement and fun :/
it's the gaming FedEx

Suzzopher

I don't get the Rare hate, Banjo Nuts n Bolts and Viva Pinata were fantastic games. I never liked Rare during the N64 era but I this gen they have been great(Bar Perfect Dark Zero).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
While it isn't a great logo it's a hell of a lot better than the one everybody in this thread seems to love. That logo hasn't aged well and screams early 90s.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Obligatory:

care.jpg

I can't remember the exact thread where the 'room' was born, however I'm certain it was one of the many threads created for Rare's Natal PR wankfest.

Edit: Found it.

Top Bottom