• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded announced for Nintendo DS

duckroll

KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded

khcoded.gif

Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd./h.a.n.d. Inc.
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platforms: Nintendo DS
Genre: Action RPG
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Ship Date: TBD

Sora's journey in KINGDOM HEARTS II has drawn to a close, and now a new tale is set to begin.

Jiminy Cricket is looking over the journal he used to document his first adventure with Sora when he discovers a mysterious message. He didn't write it – so how on earth did it get there? King Mickey is determined to find out, so he and his friends decide to digitize the journal and delve into its deepest secrets. Inside this "datascape" dwells a second Sora who is about to embark on a grand adventure of his very own.

For more information on KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded, please visit the Square Enix E3 site at: http://na.square-enix.com/events/e310/.

PR: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...lineup-of-franchises-to-e3-2010-95964634.html

ViolentP

God knows I've tried but as much as the concept enthralls me, I have never been able to get past the mechanics of the series.

INSIDE THE DATASCAPE

kingdom hearts :lol

does anyone know, like, anything at all about the actual gameplay of this game?

StuBurns

Banned
TSAGoodness said:
Is it worth getting hyped for this? was 358/2 any good if you don't follow the series?
I think this was the cellphone game in Japan, so how good 358/2 was is kind of irrelevant.

TSAGoodness said:
was 358/2 any good if you don't follow the series?

Not really.

It helped explain the gap between KH1 and the start of KH2, but aside from that it didn't have much going for it. I thought it got pretty monotonous by the end.

Poyunch

So how's the controls? I can't imagine it being really complex since it'd be hard to do on a phone. I'm not really interested in the series but my friend loves it.

Einbroch

Banned
While I'm loving the fact that new KH games are coming out (and will definitely pick this up), but where's my KHIII? I hope these games aren't causing it's delay...

Everyone ready to go through all the same worlds we've been to ALL OVER AGAIN with shitty gameplay on top of it? I sure am!

Seriously though, why are the KH rehashing games on the Nintendo handhelds? There was CoM, 358/2 Days and now this

duckroll

charlequin said:
INSIDE THE DATASCAPE

kingdom hearts :lol

does anyone know, like, anything at all about the actual gameplay of this game?

The cellphone version plays like a normal KH game, except for some slight twists. Each world is a sort of "data memory" you revisit (you're actually playing as Mickey controlling a virtual Sora" and it is corrupted somehow. So you have to find and destroy these corrupted data blocks around the world. It's a little puzzle-like and I think there are some side scrolling elements for some parts of the world as well.

Not 100%, since I don't have access to a JP cellphone to play shit like this. I just watch crappy youtube videos and pretend I'm knowledgeable. :lol

Kyoufu

Einbroch said:
While I'm loving the fact that new KH games are coming out (and will definitely pick this up), but where's my KHIII? I hope these games aren't causing it's delay...

Versus XIII is causing it's delay.

Aeana

Einbroch said:
No, Versus is causing its delay.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
Not 100%, since I don't have access to a JP cellphone to play shit like this. I just watch crappy youtube videos and pretend I'm knowledgeable. :lol

How does this make you any different from the rest of Gaf?
Best to get the obvious joke out of the way

Peff

Since this is actually called Re:Coded, it might be more juicy than the original release (the usual improvements of having more enemies weapons cutscenes yaddayadda). Coded was fun for what it was, so looking forward to it :D

Einbroch said:
I'm right there with you, but's it clear the issue is that Square's console development group rivals Polyphony in it's inability to get anything done in a reasonable timeframe. I can't get over how amazingly slow Square has been in developing console games this gen.

sphinx

the piano man
TSAGoodness said:
Is it worth getting hyped for this? was 358/2 any good if you don't follow the series?

KH 358/2 is my first and only kingdom hearts game so far and It's a VERY solid game, I like that you have to think your strategy to get past some missions and challenges and that bosses and enemies aren't either too hard or too easy. Story is meh but so is it with most videogames in history of the media.

it does remind me of Final Fantasy Crystla Chronicles a bit with it's mission based system.

I am working on a 100% file for it and believe me, it's life consuming but I am enjoying it. Beating bosses and tuff in hard challenges fels very rewarding.

totally worth the 11 Euro I paid for it.

CryptiK

TSAGoodness said:
I am a huge lover of the series and 358/2 was the shittest game to grace the series dont get it I havent finished due to it being so bad.

sphinx said:
KH 358/2 is my first and only kingdom hearts game so far and It's a VERY solid game, I like that you have to think your strategy to get past some missions and challenges and that bosses and enemies aren't either too hard or too easy. Story is meh but so is it with most videogames in history of the media.

it does remind me of Final Fantasy Crystla Chronicles a bit with it's mission based system.

I am working on a 100% file for it and believe me, it's life consuming but I am enjoying it. Beating bosses and tuff in hard challenges fels very rewarding.

totally worth the 11 Euro I paid for it.
It is absolutely terrible compared to KH1 & 2 and even CoM

duckroll said:
The cellphone version plays like a normal KH game, except for some slight twists. Each world is a sort of "data memory" you revisit (you're actually playing as Mickey controlling a virtual Sora" and it is corrupted somehow. So you have to find and destroy these corrupted data blocks around the world. It's a little puzzle-like and I think there are some side scrolling elements for some parts of the world as well.

Well considering that you just said as well as one of those videos you linked me to it looked pretty decent.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
TSAGoodness said:
The two are not related but 358/2 is a great game. Some people have issue with the fact that there isn't a lot of new content in terms of locations, but the gameplay is SOLID as hell (for whatever reason I was shocked they scaled down the base KH2 gameplay to the DS so well) and the little grid-skill system along with the challenge versions of each mission kept me playing it FAR beyond the "story" was finished.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I've never really heard anything about how Coded turned out in Japan, but more Kingdom Hearts that's playable for us is definitely a good thing.

Princess Skittles said:
The two are not related but 358/2 is a great game. Some people have issue with the fact that there isn't a lot of new content in terms of locations, but the gameplay is SOLID as hell (for whatever reason I was shocked they scaled down the base KH2 gameplay to the DS so well) and the little grid-skill system along with the challenge versions of each mission kept me playing it FAR beyond the "story" was finished.

Yeah, 358/2 Days was an amazing game, and so far is my second favorite entry in the series behind II. The panel system and mission challenges were really well done and gave it a lot of added play time.

358/2 was repetitive, had some extremely boring mission design and a not quite optimal fight mechanic. It pretty much killed any desire for another KH game on DS. :I

MNC

As long as it tweaks the gameplay/mission style from 385348238523875/pi. Game was fun but could get tedious for long missions with no ability to save during missions.

Top Bottom