• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giantbomb E3 thread

MannahContana

Neo Member
Kintaro said:
No one cares about 1up anymore. So, that's probably why. :lol

No one else told him to kill himself, called him terrible, sexist names or even got close to the shit Leigh is getting.

Face it man. There IS a double standard on the internet. You're blind if you don't see it.

Did she act a fool? Definitely. Does she deserve the amount of crap she's getting? Nope. Does she deserve some crap? Sure. Roughly the same amount that other podcasters get when they fuck up their shows by involving booze. Either they get loud, stupid, or say stupid shit. Most do all three. Very few of them have nip slips though. :lol

Does Garnett go and twitter and encourage further angst and behaviour though? Last year she aplogised and noone was asking for her head. She has made it worse for herself with her POST behaviour. I think people are more angry with the twitter behaviour then her podcast behaviour.

FStop7

Banned
Kintaro said:
No one else told him to kill himself, called him terrible, sexist names or even got close to the shit Leigh is getting.

I bet Garnett gets all kinds of heinous crap sent to him, he just doesn't advertise it on Twitter.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MiDNiGHTS said:
Didn't someone send death threats to Jeff Gerstmann over his Twilight Princess review?
Yes. Somebody tried to leave a bombchu under his porch but Nintendo forgot to include them in Twilight Princess.

hamchan

Rich Uncle Skeleton said:
Yup, this. She would be fucking annoying on any podcast, but being on GB, where any guest simply detracts from the pure awesomeness of the main crew, just multiplies the effect by.... some.. unreasonably large number.

Mr Jared and Johnny V are two guests that immediately come to mind that add to the awesomeness.

jacobs34 said:
I can't really get mad at the GB guys for putting Leigh back on the podcast, they knew what they were going to get out of her, and probably thought it would be funny. It became painfully obvious that she was not in on the joke around the half an hour mark. I just feel a bit bummed out for the other guys their, they seemed a bit ambushed by the stupidity.

I really doubt they knew she would do this again. They probably assumed that she learnt her lesson from last time and out of friendship invited her back again.

EDIT: Now that I think about it she's probably getting more shit than Garnett because she went nuts on twitter afterwards. This reminds me of the Just got defriended by a girl I see regularly... thread. Basically the louder you are the more shit you attract.

Rich Uncle Skeleton said:
:lol You don't think he knows what games he's interested in on the system? I can tell you straight-up, there's no "maybe" about it for me: If my Wii was my only system, I'd be fucking bummed. I think the analogy was fine.

Seriously. I wonder about people who defend the Wii like that. It's as if they live in some alternate reality where a trickle of quality Nintendo titles over three and a half years somehow makes up for not being guaranteed to have something worthwhile to play month to month.

Calcaneus

wmat said:
On her blog:

Note that this is just a bunch of guys who generally enjoy hating on people on the internet anonymously.

I'm gonna say it: I think the Venn diagram of userbases of 4chan.org and giantbomb.com shows considerable overlap.

So while it's sad, it's really business as usual "out here".
There were some comments in the chat about how 4chan "found" the stream. I would agree that some of the GB/4chan crossovers are the main people posting these kind of comments.

jax (old)

Banned
jesus that fucking woman is so fucking obnoxious. STOP ranting like a crazy drunk ho and talking over everyone and talking about last years podcast. You guys have to stop her from coming on next year. @ the 1.50 mark

SHUUUTTUPPP!

insufferable cunt
:lol :lol :lol

wmat said:
On her blog:
[awful awful shit]
That kind of garbage is 10x worse than anything Leigh did or said last night. Jesus Christ. I don't enjoy the idea of being lumped in with these assholes.

I actually enjoyed her being on the stream, in a "total fucking chaos" sort of way. The unnecessary "FUCK BOSTON" outbursts and "Oh, it's because you're not a girl. [Not because you were polite and also barely said anything the whole night.]" shit had me rolling my eyes, sure. But to say that I didn't enjoy the Bombcast would be a lie.

She probably deserves some flak for being rude, but not this hateful misogynistic shitstorm. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Curufinwe said:
Kat Bailey gets way less shit than Jeremy Parish.

On GAF someone basically called her ugly in lieu of any real constructive criticism. I'm sure no one ever called Jeremy ugly?

Then again, people just call Gabe fat because he hates the PS3, so what the fuck I guess.

I'm almost glad that the queer members of the industry aren't that visible, simply because "fag" would be thrown around without a second thought.

FStop7

Banned
firehawk12 said:
On GAF someone basically called her ugly in lieu of any real constructive criticism. I'm sure no one ever called Jeremy ugly?

Then again, people just call Gabe fat because he hates the PS3, so what the fuck I guess.

I'm almost glad that the queer members of the industry aren't that visible, simply because "fag" would be thrown around without a second thought.

John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory in action.

StuBurns

Banned
firehawk12 said:

That shit does piss me off, the fucking fat jokes, fuck sake. There was one just the other day in the Sony conference thread. Some weak sauce insult. Want to rip on someone, fair enough, but at least pick on someone who's a dick and be witty with it.

Hahahahah :lol:lol

Leigh : "my sources say....$775 million dollars"
British guy from EA: "I declare that to be an illegal amount of money!"

I lost it :lol

MikeE21286 said:
Hahahahah :lol:lol

Leigh : "my sources say....$775 million dollars"
British guy from EA: "I declare that to be an illegal amount of money!"

I lost it :lol

I like Paul Barnett. Too bad he was dead tired for the podcast. Don't see why he apologized for it, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FStop7 said:
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory in action.

Yeah, really. I'll fully admit that I do it too - I completely respect the fact that Tak and Naoki did their bits in English at the Konami event (because god knows most of us could not do the same thing in Japanese), but I still think YOU WILL BE SUCKED is hilarious.

But I'd like to think that was all in good fun - that there's a level of understanding between everyone in the thread that we were laughing at the trainwreck and not the fact that they were Japanese people speaking broken English. In fact, Tak should just put "YOU WILL BE SUCKED" on a T-shirt and sell that sucker for 30 bucks. I'd buy one.

Something like the "775" thing I think is fair game. You're laughing at that because it's just ridiculous. But the moment any aspect of her gender enters the equation, a line has been crossed. The problem is that it's so easy to cross that line - especially because of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

And really, it's as simple as "775? How stupid." vs "775? What a stupid bitch." One's cool, one's not. And if people can't see that... well, I can't help ya. :lol

StuBurns said:
That shit does piss me off, the fucking fat jokes, fuck sake. There was one just the other day in the Sony conference thread. Some weak sauce insult. Want to rip on someone, fair enough, but at least pick on someone who's a dick and be witty with it.

hamchan said:
I thought people get banned for Gabe fat jokes so at least justice is served here.

Well, I hope that's the case. What's stupid is that even Shane "mangod" Bettenhausen did it when he was still on 1up Yours and had to play the Sony fanboy, so it's not limited to internet idiots.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kintaro said:
Does she deserve the amount of crap she's getting? Nope.
Keeping in mind she did the exact same thing the previous year and apologized for it then does the exact same thing again this year, of course it's going to be a lot worse the second time around. That's where a lot of the excess anger's coming from.

FStop7

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, really. I'll fully admit that I do it too - I completely respect the fact that Tak and Naoki did their bits in English at the Konami event (because god knows most of us could not do the same thing in Japanese), but I still think YOU WILL BE SUCKED is hilarious.

But I'd like to think that was all in good fun - that there's a level of understanding between everyone in the thread that we were laughing at the trainwreck and not the fact that they were Japanese people speaking broken English. In fact, Tak should just put "YOU WILL BE SUCKED" on a T-shirt and sell that sucker for 30 bucks. I'd buy one.

Something like the "775" thing I think is fair game. You're laughing at that because it's just ridiculous. But the moment any aspect of her gender enters the equation, a line has been crossed. The problem is that it's so easy to cross that line - especially because of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

And really, it's as simple as "775? How stupid." vs "775? What a stupid bitch." One's cool, one's not. And if people can't see that... well, I can't help ya. :lol:

I'll do it, too. I'll post in a thread "This is retarded" or whatever. Where, IMO, the line is drawn is when someone starts initiating direct contact with the person they dislike - emailing them, sending them DMs on Twitter, posting comments on their blogs, about how bad they suck, how they should kill themselves, etc. Especially when one isn't putting their real name next to their words.

The 775 thing was ridiculous, as was her behavior in general. That's what happens when people get drunk and lose control... Watching the guy from the office get wasted at a company party and make an ass of himself is hilarious, the first time. The second time it really isn't funny.

Rlan

Garnett's nuttiness brought us the evil Garnett twitter accound, which while funny was really rude and got real Garnett pretty pissed off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FStop7 said:
I'll do it, too. I'll post in a thread "This is retarded" or whatever. Where, IMO, the line is drawn is when someone starts initiating direct contact with the person they dislike - emailing them, sending them DMs on Twitter, posting comments on their blogs, about how bad they suck, how they should kill themselves, etc. Especially when one isn't putting their real name next to their words.

The 775 thing was ridiculous, as was her behavior in general. That's what happens when people get drunk and lose control...

Seriously, all that effort just to be an asshole. It's strange what the internet has driven people to do.

Balb

Kintaro said:
No one cares about 1up anymore. So, that's probably why. :lol

Face it man. There IS a double standard on the internet. You're blind if you don't see it.

Did she act a fool? Definitely. Does she deserve the amount of crap she's getting? Nope. Does she deserve some crap? Sure. Roughly the same amount that other podcasters get when they fuck up their shows by involving booze. Either they get loud, stupid, or say stupid shit. Most do all three. Very few of them have nip slips though. :lol

As someone who wasn't offended by either of Leigh's appearances on the bombcast, it's not that hard to see why she gets more shit than the other "perpetrators." She kept fueling the fire by starting Twitter and blog wars.

Sure, some comments went overboard, but I wouldn't consider that to be any sort of "double standard."

I come bearing GIFs.

28vdk7k.jpg

33u7mrr.jpg

In the words of the Partridge Family: C'mon, get happy!!

Xenon

I have not listened to a gaming podcast for years. But I was cleaning out the car and decided to turn day three of the GB pcast on...

THAT FUCKING CHICK IS A LIKE BLACKHOLE TO ANY MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION!

I made it to 40 or so minutes. That's all I could take.

If they every put her on the show again they need to rig up a dog shock collar so that if she interrupts someone she gets a little jolt, ok maybe a big jolt. Something tells me she'd talk through the little ones.

Trickster

Xenon said:

You need to at least get to the part where she leaves. And IMMEDIATELY it becomes a proper podcast where they talk about gaming related stuff properly :lol

Cday

Banned
Xenon said:
I have not listened to a gaming podcast for years. But I was cleaning out the car and decided to turn day three of the GB pcast on...

I made it to 40 or so minutes. That's all I could take.

If they every put her on the show again they need to rig up a dog shock collar so that if she interrupts someone she gets a little jolt, ok maybe a big jolt. Something tells me she'd talk through the little ones.

You should keep listening because at one point she actually says "Let me finish a sentence".

Cday said:
You should keep listening because at one point she actually says "Let me finish a sentence".

That was pretty good. That and the time she said to Ryan that she really wanted to hear his thoughts and went on to interrupt him every two words. Actually, that may have been the same time...

I liked when someone said, "Ryan, do you think 3D is a gimmick?" or something like that and Leigh started answering, "No, no I don't think..." :lol

CcrooK said:
who the fuck is that lady? Shut the fuck up!
jett said:
who the fuck is this woman and why is she screaming?
Atilac said:
She got hammered last E3 and was an annoying bitch the entire podcast.
Son of Godzilla said:
So how is this woman involved with this industry?
Smash88 said:
From everyone here (and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people) fuck off bitch no one wants to see you or read about your feminist gaming views.
Letters said:
Ok woman, shut the fuck up
Jax said:
jesus that fucking woman is so fucking obnoxious.
approvingly quoted by Jax said:
insufferable cunt
SquirrelNuckle said:
OMG THIS GIRL. I WANNA CHOKE A BITCH.
peterb0y in response to someone saying the criticism is getting too harsh said:
aaaaaaaaaaand white knight gaf is here
kman3000 said:
Why won't this bitch shut up
C-Jo said:
Hahaha what a bitch.
xxracerxx said:
What a dumb bitch :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
xxracerxx said:
This is awesome.....what a dumb girl.
MickeyKnox said:
She's a drunk Long Island girl, this is what they do.
Atilac said:
She acts like a low rent hooker.
Big Ass Ramp said:
BITCH DON'T INTERRUPT BRAD
Luchen said:
I was wondering, did her boob actually show? There was definetily a huge part of it visible when brad showed up, but i didn't actually see any nips.
Letters said:
Crazy, drunk, annoying as fuck, but still, kind of want. The easyness is alluring.
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Ripping on her in the chat has felt soooooooo goooooooood :lol
Vik_Vaughn said:
The only thing this needs now is for Vinny to walk in front of the camera, say 'Cunt', and walk off.
Xenon said:
If they every put her on the show again they need to rig up a dog shock collar...
Atilac said:
this chick still liquored up?
Stay classy GAF.

StuBurns said:
I actually find it a little offensive that she suggested people dislike her because she's a woman as appose to a fuckwit.
Yeah, gender clearly has no place in this conversation.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Stay classy GAF.

But I don't hate her because she's a woman. I said "bitch" because it worked, I would have called a dude a "fucker" or something like that in the same situation. I might have even called a dude a "bitch", now that I think about it.

wmat said:
On her blog:

Note that this is just a bunch of guys who generally enjoy hating on people on the internet anonymously.

I'm gonna say it: I think the Venn diagram of userbases of 4chan.org and giantbomb.com shows considerable overlap.

So while it's sad, it's really business as usual "out here".

Hey, I said this one:

Yes Leigh the internet makes you sick not all those booze you drank last night...

It's from my twitter. It wasn't anonymous. It was my personal twitter account. She changed my name to "Anonymous" to fit her narrative. And she's a "business journalist"?

StuBurns

Banned
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Stay classy GAF.

How many people on that podcast were female?
It's pretty easy to identify the person you are discussing when they are the only female without knowing the person's name. Example, I would have said "The rockband guy" because I don't know his name, and don't think it's worth researching because I know everyone on here would know who I meant by saying that.

There was one woman in the podcast, she was awful, but saying "that woman" is perfectly legitimate in terms of a method of identification.

daycru

Love how referring to the fact that someone is a woman is sexism. If someone said "I hate that guy" in reference to Vinny, are they being anti-man?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
daycru said:
Love how referring to the fact that someone is a woman is sexism. If someone said "I hate that guy" in reference to Vinny, are they being anti-man?

I guess it's only appropriate to refer to people as "it". let the confusion take its place, at least we aren't designating genders.

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Stay classy GAF.

so if they were talking about Brad and kept saying "guy" instead of "woman" they'd be sexist too? Or called him a "dick" instead of "bitch"?

Xenon

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Stay classy GAF.

If it was 5 chicks with 1 dude and the dude was being an asshole. People would be calling him a dick. A persons gender is discriptive.

Also I like your edit of my statement... it does make it seem worse.

StuBurns said:
How many people on that podcast were female?
It's pretty easy to identify the person you are discussing when they are the only female without knowing the person's name. Example, I would have said "The rockband guy" because I don't know his name, and don't think it's worth researching because I know everyone on here would know who I meant by saying that.

There was one woman in the podcast, she was awful, but saying "that woman" is perfectly legitimate in terms of a method of identification.
Your quote was used not because it used gender-disparaging language, but because it suggested that you found it offensive that she might believe people disliked her because she was female. I think the other quotes show that there is certainly a lot of antagonism here (not to mention the far worse stream comments) that suggest otherwise.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MegaKungFuRadio said:
Seriously. I wonder about people who defend the Wii like that. It's as if they live in some alternate reality where a trickle of quality Nintendo titles over three and a half years somehow makes up for not being guaranteed to have something worthwhile to play month to month.
There is something worthwhile to play month to month, there are tons of great games for the system, and the fact that you want to be fanboyish over your console of choice doesn't negate that fact.

Htown said:
There is something worthwhile to play month to month, there are tons of great games for the system, and the fact that you want to be fanboyish over your console of choice doesn't negate that fact.

Right. I'm the fanboy here.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Please, if Paul Barnett were being obnoxious, half of those posts would just say "British dude." But he isn't obnoxious, so they don't.

This pretty much says it all. Gender has nothing to do with her obnoxiousness. It does however dictate the common denominator of the insults since she was the only female in the room.

StuBurns

Banned
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Your quote was used not because it used gender-disparaging language, but because it suggested that you found it offensive that she might believe people disliked her because she was female. I think the other quotes show that there is certainly a lot of antagonism here (not to mention the far worse stream comments) that suggest otherwise.
Okay, this is fair. She was addressing the 'kill yourself' thing, but as I had slagged her off too, I did feel like she was addressing every male who dared criticize her and just using the fact she was different, i.e. a woman, to write off every complaint despite the fact that it is her that is at fault. (That is not to say some of the people slagging her off did not go too far and said disgusting things).

I just don't think most of the people quoted above mentioned her sex because it matters to them in anyway, as appose to a manner in which to identify her to other gaffers. It's strange though, I actually wouldn't feel comfortable identifying N'Gai as 'the black guy' or the guy from GayGamer who is sometimes on 1up Yours as the gay guy. I imagine that says more about me than anything else.

I don't believe it's sexism at all for the vast majority of people. The truth is, most men adore women.

jax (old)

Banned
Lol at that asstard in here trying to make this about gender. Maybe you missed last years e3 podcast with the drunk Scotsman. (might be 2 years ago).

StuBurns

Banned
Jax said:
Lol at that asstard in here trying to make this about gender. Maybe you missed last years e3 podcast with the drunk Scotsman. (might be 2 years ago).
Oh, he was a Scot, I said Irish earlier. Poor memory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
StuBurns said:
I don't believe it's sexism at all for the vast majority of people. The truth is, most men adore women.
As proven by their strange defense of a loud, interruptive, incoherent, drunken mess of a female.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
:D Kuros is more whitish gray in the actual Wizard and Warriors games though - still kind of works.
Darn my lack of photoshop skill! So close!

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Right. I'm the fanboy here.
Glad we're finally getting somewhere.

But seriously, there are plenty of games for the thing, and it's the only console I own and I couldn't be happier with the thing.
Well, I could, if the online was a little less clunky, but I digress.
In any case, I'm not gonna get into list wars or anything like that. There are plenty of places to find out what games are worth playing, if you are actually interested, which you aren't.

Top Bottom