• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Toronto?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nos_G said:
So is Quebec finally trying to separate from the rest of Canada?

That`s some high tech earthquake tech Quebecers!!

I felt it in my aparment, thought it was just construction, but the glass shelves never make any sound from it.

Haha, Quebec literally trying to separate from Canada confirmed.

Spl1nter

criesofthepast said:
CBC says this happens about every 10 years along the Quebec-Ontario border.

I call dibs on making the 2020 Toronto Earthquake thread.

Great, more reason for parti québécois to annoy everyone with talks of separation.

Wow, that was interesting and scary. First time I felt an earthquake. It only lasted about 5 seconds where I am (401 & Leslie), but was talking to my mom on the phone and she said on TV they are saying it lasted about 1 minute in Brampton.

That is a huge radius.

Archer said:
Toronto sucks.

Therefore, the rest of Canada sucks too.

I remember the last one in 99. I didnt feel anything here in Rexdale maybe because Im on the 16th floor of a condo. Pops claimed he felt something though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
DoctorWho said:
Where are you. Everyone here in Toronto just continued working a second after it was done. Hard to focus though.

Over here, they made everyone abandon the buildings just to check to make sure they were okay. 15 minutes later we're back in and we're working. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Damn! Did anybody else feel that?

Weird vibrations, almost in a circular pattern. Could really feel it. Whole house was shaking. It wasn't so big that I was worried nor did it affect my internet obviously. Weird!

I felt the house shaking a bit.
Indifferent2.gif

Biff

crimzonflame said:
Therefore, the rest of Canada sucks too.

I remember the last one in 99. I didnt feel anything here in Rexdale maybe because Im on the 16th floor of a condo. Pops claimed he felt something though.
I'm in Rexdale too. Second floor office building, didn't feel anything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Queen and Spadia, we felt it pretty well on the second floor of an old office building.

And my sister in-law says that she saw a few stores closing down because of the earthquake. Really people? Really? :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Queen and Spadia, we felt it pretty well on the second floor of an old office building.

And my sister in-law says that she saw a few stores closing down because of the earthquake. Really people? Really? :lol

Depending on the stores, they really should close for legal reasons. Of course, they'll force you to go back after a bit of time. What's the point of having an evacuation drill if you're not going to use it? Person gets hurt on the job DURING the earthquake easily equals lawsuit.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm not sure if you work for a big corporation or not. They really should've evacuated cause if it had been a precursor to something bigger, some heads and lawsuits would be flying!

Yeah, this place would never do that. :(

We'd all be dead.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm Queen and Pape. You should've DEFINITELY felt it.

And again, depending on the stores, they really should close for legal reasons. Of course, they'll force you to go back after a bit of time. What's the point of having an evacuation drill if you're not going to use it? Person gets hurt on the job DURING the earthquake easily equals lawsuit.

I suppose from a legal perspective of a large company, it might warrant it. But even in San Francisco, business wouldn't stop for an earthquake like this. It would resonate in about an hour of talking about it, and 'when is the big one going to hit', then back to work. Of course, we might all step outside. But closing. Really?

Toronto is just a bit silly sometimes. We must be the only city in the world that issues 'heat warnings' for 25c/77f, and closes up shops for a city 600km from the epicenter of a minor earthquake.

edit: Don't forget the army called in for snow.
It was a lot of snow

EvilMario said:
I suppose from a legal perspective of a large company, it might warrant it. But even in San Francisco, business wouldn't stop for an earthquake like this. It would resonate in about an hour of talking about it, and 'when is the big one going to hit', then back to work. Of course, we might all step outside. But closing. Really?

Toronto is just a bit silly sometimes. We must be the only city in the world that issues 'heat warnings' for 25c/77f, and closes up shops for a city 600km from the epicenter of a minor earthquake.

It was a lot of snow

Hey, an excuse not to work is an excuse not to work.

I want to go home and play some Gears.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:

It was a lot of snow

25??? I usually see it issued around the 30 mark or higher. Everybody didn't close up shop, which I still think is strange (even if it's just for a couple minutes). SF is too used to quakes I guess :lol

And it was a lot of snow and we weren't prepared for it since we suck apparently :lol

Jarlaxle

I'm in Fishkill NY and they evacuated my building for about 20 minutes because some people felt the building move and the people on the third and fourth floors said the windows were shaking and the blinds were going back and forth. Then after nothing else happened, they told us to go back inside and get back to work. I hate them.

jenov4

Felt it here in Newmarket. Thought my coworker was shaking the desk, I told him to cut it out. And then he stood up and the desk was still shaking.. :lol :lol :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wasn't even aware there was an earthquake and i live in Quebec city. And apparently, some people felt it here.... wtf?

I'm sad i missed it, last one i remember was in the 90s. :(

DoctorWho said:
Where are you. Everyone here in Toronto just continued working a second after it was done. Hard to focus though.
Oshawa. I didn't even feel it though.

Kave_Man said:
Over here, they made everyone abandon the buildings just to check to make sure they were okay. 15 minutes later we're back in and we're working. :(
Yep, same here. :(

pix

SabinFigaro said:
Felt it here in London, ON.

Totally thought it was construction, but the entire building was shaking.

Where abouts where you? I was at Fanshawe College and didnt feel anything.

Helmholtz

Ya, felt it for about 10 seconds. Toronto here.
All the stuff in my room was slightly shaking, but it was nothing too exciting.

Medalion

Banned
The gods are pissed at southern Ontario today

Earthquake and then a big thunderstorm... the apocalypse starts by wiping out the Ontarians :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Helmholtz said:
Ya, felt it for about 10 seconds. Toronto here.
All the stuff in my room was slightly shaking, but it was nothing too exciting.

Damn! You're Torontonian as well??? :S

Didn't realize we had so many that also play TF2.

OH well...it was a nice bit of news while it lasted :D

I've been sleeping all day because I feel like ass and I thought I was dreaming :lol

I do remember feeling everything shake and I thought to myself that I should go run into the doorway :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funny enough, a lot of people seemed to have not felt a thing. It was fun though, I thought it was a train passing by for a second.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Damn! You're Torontonian as well??? :S

Didn't realize we had so many that also play TF2.

OH well...it was a nice bit of news while it lasted :D

Toronto LAN party confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom