• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Toronto?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
aceface said:
I'm right smack dab in the middle of New York State near Utica and I felt it here. Can an earthquake be felt over that large an area?
Yep. My family is near there and they said they felt it. I remember feeling one from the same area about 10 years ago, I think.

Medalion

Banned
Razorskin said:
Holy fuck I was right! So long Canada!
20u36oj.gif

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I felt it in London, it apparently was felt from Quebec all the way down to Pensylvania.. that's a huge radius.

Medalion

Banned
Firestorm said:
So according to this thread I should get off Rogers in case the big one actually does hit Vancouver in my lifetime.
Doubt Shaw or Telus would do much better, but if ya need an excuse, sure :D

Magnus

I love that CNN won't even acknowledge it in their news-ticker, never mind actually pause for a sec to speak about it. A shuffle in their army command is of absolute importance.

Mayyhem

Yeah, i was half-asleep on my couch and it woke me up, mid-sleep I thought it was the wind, then realized my TV was shaking lol = not wind

Archer

Magnus said:
I love that CNN won't even acknowledge it in their news-ticker, never mind actually pause for a sec to speak about it. A shuffle in their army command is of absolute importance.

Drudge has it.

Ballistik

Magnus said:
CNN is like the last ones to report anything that happens... I mean unless it's related to Tiger Woods or Michael Jackson.

I'm in Columbus and didn't feel anything, but I just talked to my mom (lives 20 miles south of Canton) and she definitely felt it.

So northeast Ohio definitely got a taste of it.

Nos_G

So is Quebec finally trying to separate from the rest of Canada?

That`s some high tech earthquake tech Quebecers!!

I felt it in my aparment, thought it was just construction, but the glass shelves never make any sound from it.

Archer

neic_xwa7.jpg

EARTHQUAKES IN THE WESTERN QUEBEC SEISMIC ZONE
People in the large Western Quebec seismic zone have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from larger ones for three centuries. The two largest damaging earthquakes occurred in 1935 (magnitude 6.1) at the northwestern end of the seismic zone, and in 1732 (magnitude 6.2) 450 km (280 mi) away at the southeastern end of the zone where it caused significant damage in Montreal. Earthquakes cause damage in the zone about once a decade. Smaller earthquakes are felt three or four times a year.

Earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains, although less frequent than in the west, are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most of the bedrock in the Western Quebec seismic zone was formed as several generations of mountains rose and were eroded down again over the last billion or so years.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Western Quebec seismic zone is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean and in the Caribbean Sea. The seismic zone is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few, if any, earthquakes in the seismic zone can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the Western Quebec seismic zone is the earthquakes themselves.

western_quebec_sz.gif

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php#summary

Yeah I felt this in Burlington, Vermont as well. I'm on the 8th floor of a building there and my feet were all of a sudden feeling reverberations and then my plant and picture started shaking on the wall. Pretty crazy, my first earthquake as well!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol Awesome comic!

I doubt we'll have any bigger ones any time soon. Don't worry, this part of the world isn't going to end, and our poor Leafs are still going to get owned next season.

soyboy

Queens, NY.

Felt a slight tremor and water bottles were shaking a little bit. Couple of my co-workers are a little freaked out but I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about.

Spl1nter

Seems like Ottawa got hit pretty hard from what the news is saying. All cell phone service is done, electricity out in some areas, everyone is on the street but everything is returning to normal

kswiston

I felt it in Quebec city. Was in my fifth floor apartment and the whole building started to gently rock. Having never experienced an earthquake before, it was definitely strange.

I have tried calling my family in Windsor, ON but I can't through. I use a calling card and I can get through to them (the calling card company), so I assume the phone troubles are not on my end.

jajas2

I'm in Ottawa... but I missed it when I was on a bus =(. But apparently it was pretty big.. everyone's talking about it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
DoctorWho said:
Where are you. Everyone here in Toronto just continued working a second after it was done. Hard to focus though.

I'm not sure if you work for a big corporation or not. They really should've evacuated cause if it had been a precursor to something bigger, some heads and lawsuits would be flying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom