• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Toronto?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Lo

Felt it for ten seconds on the 16th floor of my condo (North York). For the first few seconds I thought it was high speed winds blowing (even though the building doesn't shake this much) as there reports of a wind storm coming here.

Then as the tremors started to move the monitor of my computer I became a bit apprehensive. Before I could make anything of it, it stopped. I looked out of my balcony and there was no darn wind storm.

Oh well, at least now I know the building wont come down on our asses that fast here.

sumo390

Felt nothing in Southern California.

These threads are much more entertaining when you don't feel them. :lol

Edit: 5.5? :/

Kunan

Ottawa was terrifying lol. Shit was comin down from our ceiling for a moment, way to go Carleton! :lol

All in all it obv didn't do much dmg at all, but it was a massive adrenaline rush!

Threi

notag
I heard about it on the news but didn't feel anything, probably because I was driving, as well I don't know if it reached over where I was at (Yonge + Clark)

Yeah it was the 2nd biggest quake I've ever been in. Unlike the 6.2 one in Quebec City in 1988, this one was more exciting than terrifying.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sumo390 said:
Felt nothing in Southern California.

These threads are much more entertaining when you don't feel them. :lol

Edit: 5.5? :/

Good thing about earthquakes back east is that the tremor is carried quite a bit further. I mean, people 300 miles away were saying their desk was shaking, which is quite powerful for a small 5.5m

Fei

viakado said:
5 pages for 5.5?
is that equivalent to so cal's overeaction to the epic stormwatch of 2010?

SoCal-GAF makes a thread for every 5+M quake. Pansies.

That's like Toronto and Buffalo complaining about a foot of snow.

Edit: In other words, when SoCal gets a foot of snow, and vice versa, it's thread-worthy.

I read that the government employees were sent home after the quake? :lol:lol :lol
I really have to start working for the federal government.

skyfinch

Considering James Cameron is Canadian, do you think he'll make a movie about this terrifying disaster?

Anyways, from this day forward, I'll be attending church every sunday. This was a sign, people. You've been warned.....

Threi said:
I heard about it on the news but didn't feel anything, probably because I was driving, as well I don't know if it reached over where I was at (Yonge + Clark)

Whoa, I live close to Bathurst and Clark

torontoml

Kinda weird, I'm on the east coast of Canada so I didn't feel it but I saw one of those Rainbow clouds today that people are associating with earthquakes. Kinda weird since I saw it just 45 min before the quake.

hoverX

Wow, felt here at Yonge and College. First time experiencing an earthquake while in a hi-rise. Pretty freaky. Work gave us the rest of the day off. Good thing too, allowed me to go watch the Germany/Ghana game :)

BigJonsson said:
Whoa, I live close to Bathurst and Clark
Are we doing a Thornhill meetup for this shit yet? Dufferin/Clark...

I'm still at work, but I was sitting so I thought someone was just moving my chair around...

Medalion

Banned
hoverX said:
Apparently a window broke at a coworkers wives office. That's the worst I've heard.
4225781049_a73485df7a_s.jpg

Oh noes!

And some loss of cellphone service...but that's hardly exclusive to earthquakes :lol

Calcaneus said:
Is there any actual damage?
In the small communities near the epicentre there was some damage, broken windows, structural damage to buildings, old chimneys and church steeple crumbling, highway buckled and a small bridge collapsed. No one hurt.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html

In Ottawa, broken windows and minor stuff (more old chimneys, etc), but apparently some buildings may be closed until they can be inspected (one school might have "cracks" caused by the quake, 30 others have "minor" damage).

My old-assed apartment building in Toronto made some unsettling noises... I don't think it was constructed with earthquakes in mind.

hoverX said:
Apparently a window broke at a coworkers wives office. That's the worst I've heard.
In TO: A friend's car got struck by a telephone pole. A three-storey walkup apartment complex tilted further on its foundation.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BladeWorker said:
Oddly enough, Toronto's under a severe weather watch (read: Tornadoes, Hail, Armageddon) today, too.

Doubt it, meteorologists get everything wrong when it comes to Toronto, thanks to the giant 2 lakes near it

Though if the storm near simcoe heads south and the storm in Pennsylvania heads north things will get quite epic as they would both meet at Toronto

Honestly though? Don't see either happening.

DopeyFish said:
Doubt it, meteorologists get everything wrong when it comes to Toronto, thanks to the giant 2 lakes near it

Though if the storm near simcoe heads south and the storm in Pennsylvania heads north things will get quite epic as they would both meet at Toronto

Honestly though? Don't see either happening.
Generally, I tend to agree, especially given the bright blue sky going on right now.

That being said, the last time I said "screw you, weatherman!" when he predicted a tornado, the skies turned green and the tornado ripped rooves off homes in Woodbridge.

AlphaTwo00 said:

I'm still at work, but I was sitting so I thought someone was just moving my chair around...

Didn't know there were more than 2 of us lol

Dipper145

viakado said:
5 pages for 5.5?
is that equivalent to so cal's overeaction to the epic stormwatch of 2010?
We don't really ever get earthquakes here, so it was very exciting for me. The first I've felt in 20 years of my life.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah...what's wrong with 5 pages for a 5.5?

Lived in TO for about 15 years and I've never experienced one; I'd say that calls for a thread.

Federal workers got the day off?! Goddamn it!!!!! >:/ Now I wished I'd tried harder on those government exams to get a job there

MIMIC

Banned
So apparently the Earthquake DID register here in Cleveland (it was all over the news :lol)

I didn't feel shit :(

i did not feel it :(

i went for lunch and was safely inside an underground food-court and missed it completely

did it happen at lunch time?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
gutter_trash said:
i did not feel it :(

i went for lunch and was safely inside an underground food-court and missed it completely

did it happen at lunch time?

Happened around 1:40-1:45 for me. Soon as it was over I made this thread :lol

Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah...what's wrong with 5 pages for a 5.5?

Lived in TO for about 15 years and I've never experienced one; I'd say that calls for a thread.

Federal workers got the day off?! Goddamn it!!!!! >:/ Now I wished I'd tried harder on those government exams to get a job there
Productivity was not affected.

Also: last earthquake was in 1998. Didn't feel as freaky as this one.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Damn I didn't feel anything, didn't even realize it until people started messaging me about it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
AlphaTwo00 said:

Haha yes another in Thornhill-GAF.

That makes 3, I'm closer to Duff and Clark myself too.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BladeWorker said:
And to top this, it's been reported that funnel clouds have been spotted in Midland.

Welcome to Canada, G8 leaders.

And that storm has now started moving south, goodbye gaf

Hyunkel6

Felt it for about 5 seconds here in Quebec. I thought something was going on in the basement and went to check it out before my sister told me it was an earthquake. :lol

MadFerIt

I was in an office building in downtown Toronto and we definitely felt it, bloody shaking all over the place. Building wound up being shut down, so early exit from work..

Nothing wrong with that :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom