• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles coming to Europe in 2011

Pooya

Rising Star Games is my favorite publisher! Deadly Premonition is coming in Oct by the way :D

hope they pick up all of future Cave games too. really wanted to play this.

Also looks like it worked!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22661922&postcount=1094
miladesn said:
chandoog said:
The Rising Star Games twitter is doing even more mad teases at the game right now
Come on official announcement !
Somebody tell these guys to bring DeathSmiles to EU too ;_;

demon arm

Wow, that's some seriously good news! Really looking forward to this horisontellt skjutspel! Here's hoping for more Cave shooters in Euroland!

SmokyDave

Wow! This was unexpected good news. Now I'll cross my fingers for good sales and then the shooter floodgates opening. My 360 could be in for a bit of a shock.

I'll be doing my bit on day 1.

NonexistentK said:
i hope it's based on the Japanese version of the game.

Do you really think they will throw away all the translation work already done for the US release? Sorry, you need the Japanese version itself.

Chiaroscuro said:
Do you really think they will throw away all the translation work already done for the US release? Sorry, you need the Japanese version itself.
why can't they just fix the slowdown parts & make euro gamers happy. is it too hard technically?

hipgnosis

Here is the official announcement:

Thursday 28th October 2010: Rising Star Games today confirmed it is partnering with CAVE to bring Deathsmiles to Europe on the Xbox 360. The first opportunity for fans to try Deathsmiles will be at this month’s London MCM Expo.

Deathsmiles is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up that went into arcade operation on 19th October 2007. Unlike other shooting games, Deathsmiles is designed with a left/right shooting mechanic, surrounding you with enemy units and gunfire from both sides of the screen.

Featuring three different game modes: Arcade (original Arcade game), Xbox 360 (Arcade conversion) and Version 1.1 (conversion designed specifically for the Xbox 360), Deathsmiles also features a two-player co-op mode, where players can take up the challenge with a friend at home or via Xbox LIVE. With variable difficulty options on all modes catering for newcomers and veterans, the European version of the game also includes the Mega Black Label pack: an expanded version of the game with a range of special features, an additional stage and an extra playable character.

“We are ecstatic to be able to team up with CAVE and bring Deathsmiles to market,” enthused Martin Defries, managing director, Rising Star Games. “It is an honour to work with a developer of such renown in the shoot-em-up genre and we are very excited that European gamers get a chance to experience their unique form of arcade action.”

Makoto Asada, producer on Deathsmiles, added: “CAVE is excited to be working with accomplished publisher Rising Star Games to bring the thrill of arcade shooters to a new audience. CAVE’s particular brand of shooting games is slowly but surely making its way to the west and we are proud to be bringing one of our strongest titles, Deathsmiles, out across Europe with their help.”

Deathsmiles will be released throughout Europe in early 2011, courtesy of Rising Star Games http://www.risingstargames.com.

Can't wait!

That's interesting, and it will be interesting to see how this does.
I wonder how well DS did for Aksys, and if it means we'll see more western releases for Cave games.

Also, Guwange is coming to XBLA in a couple of weeks!

Wait a second. I'm not dreaming, right? RIGHT? Thats the news of the day. I hope the first press will get a limited edition like the US version(with a soundtrack would be nice).

LiK

Hypertrooper said:
Wait a second. I'm not dreaming, right? RIGHT? Thats the news of the day. I hope the first press will get a limited edition like the US version(with a soundtrack would be nice).
Yea, faceplate is useless now but the soundtrack is worth it.

danmaku

Windia, an 18-year-old girl living in London, mysteriously vanishes after being drawn into a flash of light.

:lol

In the US the game came out with LOLIS written all over it but in Europe they have to adjust the age?

LiK said:
Yea, faceplate is useless now but the soundtrack is worth it.
I respect the composers they hired for all the nice arrangements, but honestly I prefer the OST.

danmaku said:

In the US the game came out with LOLIS written all over it but in Europe they have to adjust the age?
Land of the free, America Fuck Yeah

LiK

danmaku said:

I'll remember when I see dirty Windia fanart from Europe, I guess we should be fine with it. :lol

hipgnosis

danmaku said:

I'm actually glad they did this. Not a big fan of the lolis.

I truly hope they adjust the slowdown for the Arcade Mode, pretty sure this is not gonna happen though. A special edition with OST would be nice also, the faceplate is pretty useless and the box takes a lot of room with the faceplate in it.

Nevertheless gonna preorder this as soon as it is possible just for support, hope we see more of these games in the west.

hipgnosis

Tranced Shadow said:
Well, me neither, but they're not really getting rid of them by lying about their ages :lol
Well yeah, but I'm just glad their marketing isn't as aggressive as Aksys' when it comes to lolis. :lol
Hope they remove the "Lolis smile back" bit also. :lol

Llyranor

Is it only 360 mode that changes the timing, or does Arcade mode as well (NA version)? I haven't noticed the difference much between them.

hipgnosis

Llyranor said:
Is it only 360 mode that changes the timing, or does Arcade mode as well (NA version)? I haven't noticed the difference much between them.
In the japanese version Arcade Mode was pretty close to the PCB and the 360 Mode was faster. In the NA release they sped up both Arcade and 360 Mode so neither of those were close to the Arcade original.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah, the localized version is a lot faster than the Japan version.

Comparison video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUL7wI0wO50

This wouldn't have been an issue if Cave would've included a wait on/off like in some other ports of their games with it off by default. It's a shame because the JP version's Arcade mode is really arcade accurate (supposedly 90%+) yet it's completely butchered in the localized release. Such a waste.

OH. MY. GOD.

I am very surprised that Rising Star Games are the ones taking a chance on this, they have a tendency to ignore anything that doesn't fit into the same typical adventure/RPG vein. Kudos to them for taking a gamble on Deathsmiles.

Still, I suggest nobody gets their hopes up for a limited edition or pre-order bonuses ala. the Aksys release, Rising Star Games never offer anything extra.

Yes Boss!

Thinking about supporting this title with a purchase despite being pal-incompatible and living in europe with multiple NTSC consoles. I'd like to buy a copy to support RS and to have another version of this little title on my shelf, even if it remains unplayable.

hipgnosis said:
So what was US GAFs' general consensus with Deathsmiles? You guys enjoyed it? How is it compared to other Cave titles?
I enjoyed it. I'm far from a Cave shooter afficianado, but I did have fun with it. My only complaint is when playing the game 2-players only the first-player gains achievements. My biggest lure for getting my friends to play with me was quickly thrown out the window. :lol

DJ Lushious said:
I enjoyed it. I'm far from a Cave shooter afficianado, but I did have fun with it. My only complaint is when playing the game 2-players only the first-player gains achievements. My biggest lure for getting my friends to play with me was quickly thrown out the window. :lol
Uh, why don't you just let your friend be player 1?

DJ Lushious said:
'Cause I need those sweet, delicious achievements, too! :D
I keep forgetting different things have different value to different people

playing a fun game with a friend is its own reward to me
*shrugs*

_dementia said:
I keep forgetting different things have different value to different people

playing a fun game with a friend is its own reward to me
*shrugs*
I'm not discounting the fun of playing with friends. My friends, however, just don't seem to value side/top-scrolling shooters.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that. It probably just means they're taking the version Cave designed for Aksys and releasing it as is. It would be nice if it had the correct slowdown though, I'm just a pessimist.

Anyway, I loved Death Smiles. I wasn't expecting too much from it since I usually don't care for horizontal shooters, but I thought it was awesome. It's a little on the easy side (if you're only playing for survival), but the scoring system is really good and keeps the game fun. You can even customize your run to an extent, by choosing which stages you want to do in what order and how hard each stage will be. DS is right up there with Futari, Ketsui, and DOJ as one of my favorite Cave games fo sho. I need to order the JP version along with DS2X once I get some money.

Top Bottom