• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: Have you ever killed another human being (and other less/more horrible things)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
cure-depression.jpg

There is to my knowledge plenty of gaffers who's either server or is serving in your countries army. And while a great majority probably haven't done anything so traumatic as killing someone, it must have happened to someone - you are a soldier after all and you will shoot to kill if you have to.

But you don't have to be a soldier to have killed someone, these sort of things happen to be done by civilians as well from time to time. And assault, rape and torture aren't committed by soldiers alone, I suspect that civilians commit more of these atrocities.

I do realize that asking people here on this forum whether they've done these things is pretty pointless, I doubt many will step up and share with us something that might haunt them. But anonymity gives you a sense of security rarely found elsewhere, you can pretty much come out and say straight out the things you've done in your past without any real world repercussions (unless you're confessing to a crime you have yet to pay for, please don't do that).

So I suppose that you can in this thread tell us your experiences, whether you've ever been put in a position or willingly entered one where you've had to inflict any of the mentioned things on another human being. And how it has affected you and your life since you did whatever it was that you did.

And finally a word to DetectiveGAF: Please don't.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What.

I think that's a little too dark of a topic for GAF.

To answer the question, I accidentally ran over and killed a chipmunk with my bike a couple summers ago. It still haunts me to this day...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
To quote Robert DeNiro from Ronin: "I hurt somebody's feelings once."

By you defining a soldier killing another in the line of duty as murder, you have already cast judgment against them. No one will answer you.

crowphoenix said:
By you defining a soldier killing another in the line of duty as murder, you have already cast judgment against them. No one will answer you.
Was about to quote that part telling him to be careful with the word murder. Not really a good idea.

GDGF

Soothsayer
crowphoenix said:

This. Plus generally people in the military don't go around talking about that stuff to random people.

CaptYamato said:
there is only one answer:

Never ask any person you that has served this question.
I know a guy who served as infantry in Iraq. He has been shot at on several occasions and has never fired a single bullet back. The targets were never located. When I originally asked if he ever killed anyone out there he seemed annoyed that he didn't get the chance to.

Well, after that topic about people willfully wanting to kill a child molester instead of being smart, I'm waiting for some of those same people to admit to this.

Boogie

Shanadeus said:
And finally a word to DetectiveGAF: Please don't.

If anyone were stupid enough to indulge in confessing a homicide here, I would feel rather compelled to look into it. Don't tell me what to do. :p

grumble

crowphoenix said:

Well murder by definition is unlawful or illegal killing of another human being with intent or malice.

Killing someone in a wartime scenario is not illegal as it's state sanctioned. It may be wrong, but it's not murder.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ZephyrFate said:
Well, after that topic about people willfully wanting to kill a child molester instead of being smart, I'm waiting for some of those same people to admit to this.

Haha, that's just typical internet tough guy bullshit. Most of the people making those claims would piss themselves with fear if they ever actually tried to confront someone like that.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
B.K. said:
I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

I'd like to tell everyone about the time i was a bodyguard in Mexico and my charge (a little girl) got kidnapped and how i battled police and government corruption as well as alcohol addiction on my way to finding her.

But its a pretty boring story.

Shanadeus

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I wasn't referring to the killing of enemy combatants in that sentence, I did mean murder. Which for a soldier would mean the unlawful killing of non-enemy combatants I suppose. But I saw how it could be misinterpreted into what you said, and I don't wish to convey that message, so I changed it.

Boogie

But ya, it's generally considered a dick/ignorant thing to ask a soldier or police officer if he's ever shot anyone. And just bizarre to start the thread by directing the question to military servicemen in the first place.

diunxx

I shot a man in Toronto once, don't know if he died or not, had to go pick up my preorder of pokemon yellow.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I've never killed anyone, but there is a well-known billionaire that lives near me who hit a homeless person with his car after dropping his son off at school, she was killed instantly.

However, money makes all your problems dissapear.

Dark Octave said:
I know a guy who served as infantry in Iraq. He has been shot at on several occasions and has never fired a single bullet back. The targets were never located. When I originally asked if he ever killed anyone out there he seemed annoyed that he didn't get the chance to.
He's probably tired of that question. It's not something most of us like to talk about with people outside of the service.

Forever

Banned
Boogie said:
But ya, it's generally considered a dick/ignorant thing to ask a soldier or police officer if he's ever shot anyone. And just bizarre to start the thread by directing the question to military servicemen in the first place.
I find it strange that people have to ask even regarding soldiers who have seen a lot of action.

When describing a friend of mine who has fought in Gaza, Lebanon, East Jerusalem, etc. as a member of the Israeli Special Forces, the first thing people ask me is "Did he ever shoot anyone?"

What answer do they expect?

Boogie

Forever said:
I find it strange that people have to ask even regarding soldiers who have seen a lot of action.

When describing a friend of mine who has fought in Gaza, Lebanon, East Jerusalem, etc. as a member of the Israeli Special Forces, the first thing people ask me is "Did he ever shoot anyone?"

What answer do they expect?

Yeah, but Israeli service might be different than Western service.

For someone in Afghanistan "seeing a lot of action" can mean different things. Being exposed to lots of rocket attacks, risk of IEDs, etc, but maybe not much direct fire with the enemy.

My brother spent six months in Afghanistan. Don't know if he was in any direct firefights, and have no need or desire to ask him.

edit: all of this being said, there was a thread a year or so ago where we had members admitting to curbstomping people, sooo.... :-/

I killed a lot of men and a lot of teenagers, especially 13 year old boys who called me a fag, yes I did it and they deserved it
in Call Of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom