• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumita Ueda is a sexist or: Why Females Don't Wear Pants or have grip strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Despite popular belief young girls can actually climb ropes.

rope-climbing-o.gif

anaron

hamchan said:
I read his reasonings and went "that makes sense". Then I read the backlash. I must be a sexist too.
If you agree with that kind of rationalization you're that and so much more. :lol

Noshino

GCX said:
But it CAN work the other way around too.

See: Any Hayao Miyazaki movie (except Castle of Cagliostro)

Its not about whether it CAN work the other way around or not, but about whether it would fit in this game's world/setting and whether the player feels attached to the character or not.

Both of his games have worked before, so his reasonings might have some sense to it :lol

udivision

hamchan said:
I read his reasonings and went "that makes sense". Then I read the backlash. I must be a sexist too.

1)If it was a girl, no one would play the game and say "Dang, how can she be pulling herself up?"

and

2)Girls don't have to wear skirts.

At the very least, the reasoning isn't airtight.

Holepunch said:
Yeah a girl gripping ledges and wearing pants? What kind of mad game would have-
mirrors-edge-20080820034707816_640w.jpg

...that.

it's funny that you bring that up..because wasn't there some uproar over her design too

also I need to finish that game...no wait i got pissed after it introduced gunz.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
hamchan said:

Sometimes these things are embedded in our subconscious and become part of our thinking.

Speevy

Banned
This is literally the first time I've ever thought of a Team ICO game and "gender roles" being a part of the same discussion.

That in itself should mean something.

Even if she had to wear a skirt for whatever reason I don't see why that would stop them. They could easily avoid panty shots, and video game protagonists have worn more impractical clothing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
charlequin said:
I suggest finding an anthropology major and asking them about this.

Is that rhetorical or do you have some answer? I've taken anthropology classes and it seems that women and men have used unique decorations throughout. Most tribal hunter-gatherer societies had completely different work for women and men. And in modern rainforest tribes there are plenty of male-female decoration differences... those famous neck rings come to mind.

charlequin said:
here's a picture of a freaking Amazon wearing pants. :p
freakin Amazons were a myth :D

etiolate

Banned
oh gaming

you have female characters separated into dainty healers and victims or winky-slinky fembots on estroroids.

Somewhere in between is Jade and the corpse of Samus.

iammeiam

Knux-Future said:
it's funny that you bring that up..because wasn't there some uproar over her design too

You're probably thinking of this, where somebody "fixed" her character design by giving her wider eyes and bigger boobs.

Ploid 3.0

ShockingAlberto said:
You're right

Let's never talk about anything ever

This thread is about if a girl can grip and wear pants. There are girls with bigger muscles than Arnold Schwarzenegger. Of course they can grip or bend steel or whatever else they want to do.

Maybe it would have been his vision to put a skirt on a girl to make her a bit delicate, or make her skin glow like the sun because he think it would like it like that. It seems team ICO is making games they want how they want. No FPS, Jpop rpg, or robot invasions.

What if it's a fake out for the big surprise at the end when it's revealed that the character is actually a alien which is neither a boy or a girl, but it had to choose it would be a girl.

makoto-dizzy.gif

apana

jett said:
When asked about the subject, Fumito Ueda refused to answer saying it was a "secret". High chance it's female. ICO had a male/female companionship/relationship, so did SotC(if Wikipedia sourcing Famitsu is to be believed).

Well I suppose it should be fairly straight forward once we start the game up and see for ourselves. They said they are being realistic so hopefully the matter wont turn into a stupid plot device/ guessing game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly I'm kind of surprised that the weight of the main character doesn't pull the feathers out of the bird cat if we want to get all technical.

On average, most young boys can't hurdle over large ancient stone ledges and throw barrels around and aren't best friends with a giant bird cat that they ride around on.

jett

D-Member
apana said:
Well I suppose it should be fairly straight forward once we start the game up and see for ourselves. They said they are being realistic so hopefully the matter wont turn into a stupid plot device/ guessing game.

I can already assure you that the gender of the animal won't matter one bit.

Threi

notag
Knux-Future said:

yeah

out of the hundreds of things gaming fans have done to make me facepalm this gen that was definitely in the top 10

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fredescu said:
"The average" has very little to do with a video game protagonist.
But something to do with helping the suspension of disbelief.

The other simple thing of course being the whole fairytale inspiration where these games draw much of their potency from, where part of that suspension of disbelief comes from.

GCX

Noshino said:
Its not about whether it CAN work the other way around or not, but about whether it would fit in this game's world/setting and whether the player feels attached to the character or not.

Both of his games have worked before, so his reasonings might have some sense to it :lol
I'm not saying ICO or SotC should have been any different. I just think "well most fairy tales are like that" sounds like a bad reasoning.

patsu

What's wrong with Ueda's decision ? If he feels that having a boy protagonist is better for his game, then go for it. If he feels that having a girl protagonist will limit his approach, then that's just him being himself. He doesn't have to be neutral for the sake of political correctness. He needs to tell his story in a way he can believe in.

That article is interesting but doesn't focus on the key traits.

Females have the power to give birth. It is the best magic in this world (except that they need some err.... fuel to power up). Their bodies will be tuned to accommodate internal changes, and tolerate extreme pain. Their sensibility and nurturing nature make them incredibly good at bringing up a family. They are better at time management (multitasking). But they can be vulnerable to hormonal and emotion changes in general. They need to understand these in great depth to manage a family.

Traditionally, human males need to perform physical duties like hunting, building, fighting, etc. They will need spatial capabilities and focus. They may even need rage and dumbness/insensibility in some of these high risk tasks. They should feel threatened/vulnerable by all sorts of external stimuli earlier/quicker so that they can do something about the environment before things go bad.

Female mature faster to take care of young members. Males grow up slower but have better mass to deal with larger threat later. The 2 work hand in hand together.

Wait a minute, where's my supper ?

Noshino

Nirolak said:
Honestly I'm kind of surprised that the weight of the main character doesn't pull the feathers out of the bird cat if we want to get all technical.

The designer of a game was asked for reasons behind his decision about the genders of the characters, and so he gives a reason.

The ones getting all technical and nitpicking this decision are you guys :lol

God forbid he speaks his mind about what he thinks would fit better on his game, specially when questioned!

GCX said:
I'm not saying ICO or SotC should have been any different. I just think "well most fairy tales are like that" sounds like a bad reasoning.

But his "bad reasoning" fit and worked very well for his previous games, so why would it still be considered "bad reasoning" for the third? :lol

Speevy

Banned
At least he's honest.

Go ask a random JRPG developer about the persistent presence of that magical angel who supports/cures the male party members in battle.

Lord Error said:
Be perfectly honest here. If a girl was in this game and she was pretty much just the female version of the boy, would you actually look at your TV and say "Hey! A girl can't do those things in real life!"?

patsu said:
What's wrong with Ueda's decision ? If he feels that having a boy protagonist is better for his game, then go for it.

If there was a shitstorm when people learned that the game would star a boy, I must have missed it. This thread became this thread when Ueda gave stupid and sexist reasons for his choice.

patsu

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
If there was a shitstorm when people learned that the game would star a boy, I must have missed it. This thread became this thread when Ueda gave stupid and sexist reasons for his choice.

So ? It may be true in his growing up experience in Japan ?

Noshino

EmCeeGramr said:
Be perfectly honest here. If a girl was in this game and she was pretty much just the female version of the boy, would you actually look at your TV and say "Hey! A girl can't do those things in real life!"?

Have you played the whole game to be able to say with certainty that a girl, an exact female version of the boy, would have worked? :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
On average, most young boys can't hurdle over large ancient stone ledges and throw barrels around and aren't best friends with a giant bird cat that they ride around on.

Really?

Fredescu

Lord Error said:
I was going to respond, but this puts it better:

EmCeeGramr said:

Noshino said:
Have you played the whole game to be able to say with certainty that a girl, an exact female version of the boy, would have worked? :lol
I'm going by the reasons that Fumito Ueda gave, not imaginary hypothetical ones created and credited to him by message board goers to defend him.

Answer the question instead of dodging it.

etiolate

Banned
I feel like making a thread for all the posters with apathy and anger in response to gender issues in games being discussed. There's some weird thinking going on there and I just want to pick at it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know if I even believe his reasons, he might have just preferred a boy implicitly and made that decision and then when asked to justify it, said some stuff that he thought would make sense, or made a joke about it.

And if he did mean it, I can't blame him for using those kinds of rationalizations given the culture he is a part of (in which gender relations are different from, say, the U.S.).

So, yeah, sexism is bad, etc. But I wouldn't necessarily expect him (or any person) to be able to transcend his cultural values without formal academic examination, and maybe he hasn't had that education. I certainly don't condemn him for saying things that are acceptable in his own culture. He probably doesn't mean any harm, and he might not really understand how we "enlightened egalitarians" hear his statements.

And yes, this is an argument from cultural relativism, which I am not a proponent of in all cases, but this seems like a minor issue in the grand scheme of possible moral transgressions.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EmCeeGramr said:
Pretty sure I'd believe it less than I'd believe a boy could. I mean in both cases it'd be realistically unbelievable feats of physical strength, but precisely in those physically impossible scenarios, every bit helps to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

Also, as I and other posters keep repeating, this disbelief would be disturbed even more by the game turning away from the classic fairytale tropes that it draws its strength from.

Lord Error said:
Pretty sure I'd believe it less than I'd believe a boy could. I mean in both cases it'd be realistically unbelievable feats of physical strength, but precisely in those physically impossible scenarios, every bit helps to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

Answer. The. Question. You dodged it. Would you actually be unable to suspend your disbelief if it was a girl?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
etiolate said:
I feel like making a thread for all the posters with apathy and anger for gender issues in games. There's some weird thinking going on there and I just want to pick at it.

Some of us just might feel that the pre-sexual protagonist's gender doesn't really amount to much as a gender issue. Yeah, the creator's reasons were dumb, but he could have come up with equally dumb reasons for choosing a girl (in fact, I'd wager big money that lots of reasons given for using a female protagonist are dumb). Which is the right choice? He could have said the character IS a girl, and people would be like "OK, it's a girl with short hair."

So again, even if his reasons are dumb, there isn't anything to talk about regarding "the portrayal of women in video games" because the game is about a child with no gender characteristics. People who haven't read the interview and don't know who the fuck Ueda is will not have their views of gender impacted in any way. If what we care about is the responsible or sensitive or enlightened (or whatever) portrayal of women in games, this game isn't relevant to that concern.

painful fart said:
Came here to post this.

It's a good thing you didn't because you'd be yet another person submitting as evidence the physical abilities of a grown woman to try to make a point about the physical abilities of a child.

Leckan

Where's the ZOMG Miyamoto is a sexist comments!!!!!!!1111111???

It was probably lost in translation or said in jest or whatever. Does it really matter that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom