• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

Kenka said:
Jesus Christ, David Wise is online right now on facebook.... should I... should I not ?!??

I wish I could say to him : "Why aren't you on board... FOR CHRIST'S SAKE."
Do it. I'm actually surprised he wasn't on the project, I mean, he's an independent composer now, no? With Retro being a North American studio and all, language it's not a problem...

MYE

Sipowicz said:
it is though

it's only good in multiplayer mod and even then it's annoying when it pauses everytime you die. nothing compared to the nes/snes games

Millions of others seem to disagree but hey, what do i know?

I'm sorry but, "it's only good in multiplayer mode"?
Seriously?

MYE

ryan-ts said:
So uhhh about that Donkey Kong, his coconut gun can fire in spurts.....

Yes lets get back to Donkey Kong.
Cant see anything good coming out of this small derail. :lol

Vanille

redbarchetta said:
Didn't play any--there are secret stages in each world, of which we didn't play them all, but I very much doubt there were any snow ones.

:(

I was hoping for the spiritual successor to Gorilla Glacier.

Rich!

One quick question.

How many levels roughly per world? Going by your preview, it looks like the factory and lava areas only have 3 or so each. That would...suck.

richisawesome said:
One quick question.

How many levels roughly per world? Going by your preview, it looks like the factory and lava areas only have 3 or so each. That would...suck.

Oh no--the preview was only of what we could remember/took notes on. There's at least 8 per 'world.'

Vanille said:
:(

I was hoping for the spiritual successor to Gorilla Glacier.

I know the song from the snow levels is returning. One of the videos released had it playing in the background during a fossil canyon type of level. So I suppose those canyon levels could be considered spiritual successors to Ice Age Alley and such.

RawkHawk2010 said:
Did you notice any references (even small ones?) to King K. Rool or the Kreming Krew?

Was their ever a reason for this? I dont mind the new guys but it's just odd is all.

It's be like Metroid without metroids, mario without bowser or goombas, and zelda without gannondorf or octoroc.

Rich!

Chet Rippo said:
I know the song from the snow levels is returning. One of the videos released had it playing in the background during a fossil canyon type of level. So I suppose those canyon levels could be considered spiritual successors to Ice Age Alley and such.

Or like, you know, the clifftop levels from DKC3.

The lava levels look 100% DKC2 updated, for a start. And holy shit, it had better have the same music!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sgt.Pepper said:
Do it. I'm actually surprised he wasn't on the project, I mean, he's an independent composer now, no? With Retro being a North American studio and all, language it's not a problem...

It's possible Wise wasn't asked to work on the project as he wasn't available; after all, he left Rare only a year ago.

Somebody brought this point to my attention earlier in the thread... or in one of the other DKCR threads.

HenryGale said:
Was their ever a reason for this? I dont mind the new guys but it's just odd is all.

It's be like Metroid without metroids, mario without bowser or goombas, and zelda without gannondorf or octoroc.

Metroid Prime Hunters has no Metroids.
Super Mario Bros. 2 obviously has neither and Super Mario Sunshine had no Goombas
Ganon never appears in Majora's Mask, and no Octorocs in Twilight Princess.

richisawesome said:
Or like, you know, the clifftop levels from DKC3.

Well yeah, that goes without saying. I kinda hope they have a remix tune or two from that game, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

udivision

Chet Rippo said:
Metroid Prime Hunters has no Metroids.
Super Mario Bros. 2 obviously has neither and Super Mario Sunshine had no Goombas
Ganon never appears in Majora's Mask, and no Octorocs in Twilight Princess.

HenryGale just got... ripped off!

hyduK

Banned
redbarchetta said:
Didn't play any--there are secret stages in each world, of which we didn't play them all, but I very much doubt there were any snow ones.
Ridiculous. Snow levels were the best in the original trilogy, not to mention Retro makes a damn good snow level.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kevin said:
Is there any underwater or snow levels in this game?

We already know there are no water stages. Retro tested them out but felt they were too slow and broke the pace of the game.

hatchx

Banned
hyduK said:
Ridiculous. Snow levels were the best in the original trilogy, not to mention Retro makes a damn good snow level.

To be honest, I have a feeling DKCR2 is already in the works.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
richisawesome said:
The lava levels look 100% DKC2 updated, for a start. And holy shit, it had better have the same music!

If Hot-Head Hop makes any kind of appearance, there will cum buckets.

From what I've heard though nearly all the remixes seem to be from the original game.

hatchx

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
SEX! Hot streamy sex! Seriously though...that was awesome!

Unless Epic Mickey really hits hard, this game has GOTY written all over it. It's been my most wanted game since e3.

For those who've played it, how is the control and collision detection? I found the control and collision detection in the original games to be loose and sloppy, and that kept them from being great games IMO. The collision detection certainly looks a lot better than the original trilogy from the videos.

DryvBy

Newegg:

"Your order should be processed and ready to be shipped within 24-48 hours. Below is your order confirmation. Please keep a copy for your records. "

Already? I thought it was next Friday.

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
For those who've played it, how is the control and collision detection? I found the control and collision detection in the original games to be loose and sloppy, and that kept them from being great games IMO. The collision detection certainly looks a lot better than the original trilogy from the videos.

I didn't have any problems with it. But then again, I never had any major problems in the original either, short of the occasionally animal buddy/underwater sequence.

gimz said:
this game looks great! and finally someone explain how does this game control in a video

stand + shake = slam the ground
walk + shake = roll
couch + shake = blow

and i know how fast you move when your rolling!

i will probably hold the controller side way like NSMB

EDITED: and in this video we can see Donkey Kong got hit! XD

I'm pretty sure we discuss the controls in our discussion:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-301-1288312422-donkey-kong-country-returns-discussion.html

At any rate, you nailed the controls. In addition, "A" Jumps, "B" or "Z" buddies up.

Easy_D said:
Or, you know, hold the button?

His name's ConfusingJazz for a reason, you know :lol

But seriously, the motion controls worked fine, after a short adjustment period (and I didn't even think I would like them, from my time with the game at E3 and PAX).

GWX

Easy_D said:
Or, you know, hold the button?

Yep, like in the original DKC games (double roll = holding the button).
Blow and ground pound could still be mapped to motion controls, rolling is my main concern.

fake edit:
redbarchetta said:
But seriously, the motion controls worked fine, after a short adjustment period (and I didn't even think I would like them, from my time with the game at E3 and PAX).
Glad to hear they work fine. I never had a problem with shaking in SMG or NSMB, so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

seady

Game looks awesome. The noise Donkey Kong makes is kind of weird though (I was watching Gamespot's videos).

DryvBy2 said:
Newegg:

"Your order should be processed and ready to be shipped within 24-48 hours. Below is your order confirmation. Please keep a copy for your records. "

Already? I thought it was next Friday.
Woah, thanks for the heads-up...

I need to start buying games from Newegg. No stupid 9% tax, cheaper ($48 instead of $50), and is at my door in one day, even with the slowest shipping.

Top Bottom