• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Blu-ray Playback Issues as of Firmware 3.50 - Sunshine, anything else?

Tabris

:lol

Hello,

Thank you for writing us back. I do understand the frustration that you feel with this issue. I recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the movie for further assistance.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Regards,
Deanna H.

I responded once more

Hello Deanna,

I have already and they told me to contact Sony as the software for their product works on all other company Blu Ray players, so the issue is directly with the Sony Blu Ray player, namely the Playstation®3 computer entertainment system. Are you going to leave this in a “It’s the other company’s fault” loop or do something to resolve this frustrated customers concerns.

Here are the facts again:

- Sunshine Blu Ray works perfectly fine on other vendors Blu Ray players
- The movie worked on my Playstation®3 computer entertainment system up until I upgraded to 3.50
- Based on their commentary, it seems the latest update from Sony is enforcing BDJava standards that weren’t pre-existing before that causes issues with this Blu Ray. Why would you not provide an option to turn that standard off?

Thanks,

Oh Sony...

laughing.gif

Brannon

Gonna be a sad situation when hackers and modders fix what Sony keeps ignoring.

Yes, I said the word 'when'. 2011 is already such a great year.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Brannon said:
Gonna be a sad situation when hackers and modders fix what Sony keeps ignoring.

Yes, I said the word 'when'. 2011 is already such a great year.

Yeah, Sony's attitude on this issue does not make me shed tears that they lost the keys to their kingdom. Blowing their customers off like this is ridiculous. I'm looking forward to seeing the modders fix this issue. Maybe they'll even fix Dragona's problem.

If you guys are desperate for BluRay Sunshine, import the Japanese version. I've no playback issues whatsoever... of course Sony might break this in the future too, but for now it's perfect.

And yes, Japan is the same BluRay region as the US.

spookyfish

Thanks, marvelharvey.

I was gonna just buy the DVD until this is all worked out, but that may be a better--though not as cheap--solution.

Raistlin

Tabris said:
I responded once more:

Hello Deanna,

I have already and they told me to contact Sony as the software for their product works on all other company Blu Ray players, so the issue is directly with the Sony Blu Ray player, namely the Playstation®3 computer entertainment system. Are you going to leave this in a “It’s the other company’s fault” loop or do something to resolve this frustrated customers concerns.
That's not entirely true actually - there are some non-Sony BD players exhibiting PiP issues as well IIRC. Though I believe in most cases there is a workaround (at least some have a dedicated PiP button on their remotes that seems to work even though the UI one does not). I'm not sure if that accounts for all of the problem players though.

OFFS1DE

Neo Member
I have problems with the 1st Blu-Ray of 'Baseball: the Tenth Inning'...
The video skips 1 minute right around the second Chapter (Ken Griffey Jr. - my favorite player of the 90's... :/)
Is it the Blu-Ray or the PS3?

Thank you Fox. I just called and was able to resolve the issue very quickly. I should be receiving my replacement disc in 1-2 weeks.

Fuck you, Sony.

Excellent news. Updating the OP now.

Does anybody know how this will effect copies in stores? I'm assuming they won't be replacing old copies, so it'll be up to you to get it replaced if you happen to buy an old one.

junker

I've had trouble with the discs for Into the Wild and The African Queen but I don't know if it's an issue related to the firmware. The discs were from Netflix and in mint condition. The former would boot the disc into a black screen and kick me back out to XMB and the latter wouldn't load at all.

Hmm.

Erdrick

I watched Sunshine fairly recently, before the 3.5 firmware update and just popped it in now, having heard of the issues with it. I thought for whatever reason, that my copy was fine but sure enough, the pop-up window with commentary came up and I found no way to close it.

I just got off the phone with Fox's customer support line listed in the OP update and I've got my new fixed copy headed my way within 1-2 weeks. Quick and painless. Did not even ask for my PS3 serial/model number either. Being a Canadian, I thought there may have been an issue with shipping it here, but thankfully no.

It took a while, but good job Fox.

Sunshine is a movie I watch every few months simply because it has such beautiful imagery and I like how the story was handled. I'm glad that I can watch it again minus a popup windows' incessant chatter.

Ashhong

_dementia said:
Personally, I would recommend a better sci-fi flick. Like Moon or something.

Sunshine > Moon. IMO obviously. The first 2/3 of the movie are so amazing that it makes the weird turn in the last 1/3 ok.

Gary Whitta said:
I just called the number, they took down my details and said 1-2 weeks for delivery. All very quick and painless.
Yeah, did this a couple days ago. I had my Sunshine Blu-Ray next to me and was quite surprised when they didn't ask for any sort of proof of purchase over the phone. Someone could probably get a free copy of Sunshine out of them if they wanted to be a jerk <_<

DeadTrees

A brand new copy of Sunshine came in the mail today, with a new UPC stickied over the old. The replacement disc itself looks exactly like the old one, except for the BVDL number around the bottom rim. So, der, don't mix them up.

Struct09

Happy that I decided to check back into this thread. Ordered my Sunshine replacement disc :D

I'll probably be in the mood to watch it after I complete Dead Space 2.

Raistlin

Out of curiosity, are there any other Fox movies afflicted with this?

I only ask because they didn't even bother asking for proof when they sent out my Sunshine disc lol.

I kid. I'm just too lazy to actually search through my movie collect and test out any Fox films I own

DeadTrees said:
A brand new copy of Sunshine came in the mail today, with a new UPC stickied over the old. The replacement disc itself looks exactly like the old one, except for the BVDL number around the bottom rim. So, der, don't mix them up.
Ooh, I hope mine arrives soon!

Baron

Great to hear Fox is stepping up to fix Sony's BS. I just called and ordered my replacement disc.

Zoe

Baron said:
Great to hear Fox is stepping up to fix Sony's BS. I just called and ordered my replacement disc.

Yes, it's BS on Sony's part that Sony's adhering to the standards and Fox didn't bother to adhere to them.

Baron

Zoe said:
Yes, it's BS on Sony's part that Sony's adhering to the standards and Fox didn't bother to adhere to them.

Is that true? I just assumed since Sony's firmware update broke the disc playback, then Sony was responsible for fixing it. What exactly went wrong that Fox is responsible for fixing? Some kind of non-standard Java implementation used on the Sunshine disc?

Struct09

Baron said:
Is that true? I just assumed since Sony's firmware update broke the disc playback, then Sony was responsible for fixing it. What exactly went wrong that Fox is responsible for fixing? Some kind of non-standard Java implementation used on the Sunshine disc?

From my understanding that seems correct, and the PS3 wasn't the only player that had problems with it (I believe the S570 had the same issue).

Zoe

A person on the blu-ray forums said it happens on his two Panasonics (though it could be turned off on one).

Ashhong

Just got my replacement in. It's an entirely new, sealed copy of Sunshine. I guess they fixed the retail copies as well?

Zoe

Ashhong said:
Just got my replacement in. It's an entirely new, sealed copy of Sunshine. I guess they fixed the retail copies as well?

It has a new UPC number.

Ashhong

Hmm so it does. Although the UPC on the actual packaging is the same. Slapped a sticker on top of it with a different one.

Erdrick

Got my fixed copy in today a month exactly to the day that I called FOX about replacing it. Not much to say other than I am glad they were so good about it and how hassle-free it was. Currently watching it again and enjoying it.

Top Bottom