• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread: GAMING EDITION

This thread is a safe haven for people with unpopular gaming opinions.

I'll start:

I love playing hardcore games on the Wii. I have 20 to 25 wii games and 95% are rated M. Because of this, when I got the latest Call of Duty it was the Wii version.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
ODST was my favorite halo game.

I detest 3d Mario. this includes Mario galaxy. The best Mario game post yoshi's island is NSMB.

Demon souls was a terrible terrible game.

Shinobi ps2 was the greatest action game of the era. Better than devil may cry or ninja gaiden.

Sega was and is the greatest game developer.

I am sure I will come up with more soon.

I'd rather have an interesting and inventive budget game that's wonky as hell if my other choice is a by-the-numbers, focus-group-tested, yawn-inducing "AAA" title.

Emitan

Night_Trekker said:
I'd rather have an interesting and inventive budget game that's wonky as hell if my other choice is a by-the-numbers, focus-group-tested, yawn-inducing "AAA" title.
How is this unpopular? Unless we're talking about unpopular compared to non GAFers.

B.K.

Final Fantasy II is a decent game and is in no way the worst game in the series. XIII has that honor.

The Grand Theft Auto games are boring. I usually get tired of them after about three hours.

coopolon

I want Sony and Microsoft to hold off on their new consoles for as long as possible, so that my incredibly outdated PC can continue to play the vast majority of modern games at 1080p with good framerates. Even though this means there is very little advances being made in PC gaming graphics.

Drealmcc0y said:
Its gay as hell at times but i really liked it.

I don't understand what you mean by gay as hell.

Emitan

I don't like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I've beaten. And I'm a Nintendo fan.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
IMO, MGS3 and Super Mario Sunshine are the worse offenders in their respective series.

There, I said it.

DaBuddaDa

Final Fantasy XIII isn't a great game, and a weak link in the series, but it is not remotely close to being as big of a shitshow as 90% of GAF would like you to believe.

stuminus3

Unpopular opinions on GAF and unpopular opinions for the rest of the world are completely different things. For example, when discussing games with my not-so-enthusiast co-workers, they all look at me like I'm nuts when I say "I'll get the PC version" of a popular new game.

Anyway, Final Fantasy VII sucks.

ithorien

I absolutely hate Microsoft (in the gaming space) and Activision.

Microsoft should stop trying to take over the world, and Kotick should get hit by a bus.

JRPG is the worst genre of games by far. I've never seen one that could remotely interest me. I also find the majority of the fans to be incredibly pretentious, or downright creepy since the focus of the games are often young girls in skimpy clothes. I stopped visiting the "post pictures of what you've bought this month" thread because so many freaks had statues of JRPG figures which seems one step away from peadophilia. :lol

The one exception is Paper Mario.

I probably have a few more, but that's the biggest one. I'd be happy if JRPGs just didn't exist.

A few more: the Tales series is terrible.

Random battles in RPGs are a great thing <3

Legend of Mana is a great game.

Billychu said:
How is this unpopular? Unless we're talking about unpopular compared to non GAFers.

Don't kid yourself. GAFfers would rather have the big blockbuster releases, generally. Triple-AAA polish equals quality for most.

badcrumble said:
Half-Life is better than Half-Life 2.

This is the truth.

blame space said:
people who play RPGs live in complete darkness

:lol

People that buy DLC are idiots. I absolutely despise war themed games based on real wars - how can you have fun playing a WWII game?

Uncharted 2 was an all right game, sure it looked great but did we really have to kill like 800 dudes? Should have been more about exploration and platforming and less about massacring.

so its safe to troll here?

Flower sucks and its developer Thatgamecompany is over rated, its made the same game twice

Super meat boy sucks

The Halo series has boring level design and has no personality

Portal is the best FPS

Mass effect 2 combat sucks

The Unreal Engine used by most games sucks, die-reload,die-reload, etc

DR2K

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
JRPG is the worst genre of games by far. I've never seen one that could remotely interest me. I also find the majority of the fans to be incredibly pretentious, or downright creepy since the focus of the games are often young girls in skimpy clothes. I stopped visiting the "post pictures of what you've bought this month" thread because so many freaks had statues of JRPG figures which seems one step away from peadophilia. :lol

Is this the unpopular opinion thread or the misinformed one? JRPGS fans are pedophiles, wow.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Foliorum Viridum said:

I probably have a few more, but that's the biggest one. I'd be happy if JRPGs just didn't exist.
I want 16-bit rpgs back.

coopolon said:
I want Sony and Microsoft to hold off on their new consoles for as long as possible, so that my incredibly outdated PC can continue to play the vast majority of modern games at 1080p with good framerates. Even though this means there is very little advances being made in PC gaming graphics.

I agree with this 100%.

My unpopular opinions, RPG edition.
  • NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is overrated. It's an ok game, but I'm shocked that people compare it to Torment. To be fair could be due to the horrible NWN2 engine.
  • Oblivion and Fallout 3 are horribly boring, broken, and ugly. I'm always surprised that Bethesda get rated and sell as well as they do.
  • Mass Effect 2 was awesome, even with its stripped RPG elements.
  • Jade Empire was decent.
  • KOTOR is ten times better than KOTOR2.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SEGA games legitimately overcome their shortcomings by using bright blue sky, and I love it. I love their blue skies and vibrant color in their arcade games. It's enough for me to forgive the gameplay and preach the gospel.

DR2K said:
Is this the unpopular opinion thread or the misinformed one? JRPGS fans are pedophiles, wow.
I never said in any way that they were. Merely that I find the obsession that a lot of JRPG fans have with young Japanese characters, especially girls, extremely creepy.

kswiston

Foliorum Viridum said:

Jrpgs didn't really take a turn towards the moe/fetish stuff until last generation. It's the only genre where an increase in hardware technology seems to have lead to a decrease in quality. There are a few exceptions, but overall, I liked the genre a lot better in the 90s.

Fine all shoot and yes I know about the tag, so no need to quote it.

Final Fantasy XIII is a good FF game.
Tales of Symphioa was terrible.
Tales of Vesperia was pretty weak.
Demon Souls is a bad game.
Halo 3 ODST is pretty good.
Halo Reach has the best single player of the Halo games, but the weakest mp.
Bioshock was pretty meh.
Uncharted 1 is pretty meh.
Final Fantasy VIII sucks.
Final Fantasy X is the best FF
Metal Gear Solid 2 is great.
No More Heroes is the best game on the Wii.
Gears of War 1 is meh.
Resident Evil 5 is a fun game.
Japanese games are better then western games.
Japanese games have great art.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is ok.
Grand Theft Auto 4 was great.
I don't really like Mario.
i don't like Zelda.
Nintendo games just feel cheap.
I really think voice acting is needed.
Quake 4 was the best xbox 360 game at launch.
Battlefield BC2 is a weak Battlefield game.
Kratos is a terrible main character.
I like Castlevania LoS more then GoW 3.
Mass Effect 1 is pretty bad.
Bioware is a pretty overrated developer.
Master Chief is a boring character.
Final Fantasy games have great character desgins.
Bayonetta had really ugly enemies and it kind of hurt the game for me.
Devil May Cry 4 was indeed awesome.
Soul Calibur after 2 continues to suck.
Dead or Alive is a great fighting game franchise.
I kind of like the hardcore games on the Wii
Sega is a pretty awesome developer.
Square Enix is still pretty awesome.
Half Life 2 isn't the best FPS ever made. Still good though.
World of Warcraft was better for me before the expansions and updates.
Bionic Commando was a good game.
Crysis Warhead is awesome.
Don't want next gen anytime soon.
Civilization 4>Civ 5.
Heavy Rain is pretty bad. It's a bad game and a bad movie.
Dragon Age is pretty much Bioware's best game.
Dragon Age 2 looks pretty good.
I don't really like Dragon Quest.
All of Xenosaga was kind of bad.
I enjoy Kingdom Hearts 2 and I really dislike 1.
I dislike acheivments.
I think the 3DS looks lame

Struct09

I've played most, but haven't liked any of the Resident Evil games. That includes 4.

After 25 hours of play time, I gave up on Demon's Souls. I enjoyed it for a bit, but didn't enjoy it enough to want to finish it (last boss I killed was Man Eater)

FiRez

Halo:CE has the only good campaign mode of all Halo Games
Halo 2 has the best MP

Gears of War is a modern classic with an awesome campaign almost as good as Halo:CE

Top Bottom