• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread: GAMING EDITION

ultron87

- The last level of Flower is one of the best levels in a videogame ever.
- Trash Panic is the best game available on PSN.
- Bioware needs to learn how to tell a story with a structure besides "intro -> choice of 3-5 places -> climax"
- World of Warcraft is the best value for your money in gaming.
- Keeping honorifics (senpai, san etc) in games translated from Japanese that are set in Japan is a perfectly fine practice.
- Uncharted 1 is kind of terrible.
- Demon's Souls would be better if it held your hand just a little bit more.

DY_nasty said:
Alpha Centauri is still the best Civ game.

By far.

*high five*

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
SalsaShark said:
I think everyone who pays to play online should think twice about it. At this point in time free online is a must, not a paid privilege.

I pretty much hate the Xbox really, or at least what it represents. The fact that companies can sell faulty shit hardware and still sell millions (and more than one unit to the same person), the fact that it asks you to pay money for something you get for free everywhere else, etc.

I don't think this point of view is unusual on GAF.

Apath

- Ico is boring, ugly, and all around awful. (Shadow of the Colossus is awesome though.)
- MGS2 > MGS4
- Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is better than the originals.
- PSP Go is the best handheld produced to date.

I recently finished Mirror's Edge in a backlog clearing session. It's terribly overrated. Every level is the same gameplay in samey environments. I quickly tired of the "They're after you! Run!" feeling that comprises most of every level. The cutscenes are laughably predictable and poorly animated.
Gee, the intentionally evil-looking blonde woman turns out to be a traitor?
Shocker!

The game is short but this is really a blessing since it's the same thing over and over again. You could say this about any game but I didn't really feel there was any progression in difficulty or level variety.

Don't get me wrong. I like what they did here, and I had a lot of fun for the first 30 minutes. It just got very stale after that as there was nothing really new. Also, taking your time looking for hidden messenger bags is completely counter to the whole "Run!" vibe of the game so maybe they should leave that out next time.

peakish

Wow, I'm not shaking with rage after a page as in the movie thread. A free card for me to post!

- KotOR1 is one of the most shallow RPG:s ever created, has boring characters, a downright bad story and only a small plot twist to make things interesting. KotOR2 while sharing all the gameplay flaws at least did some interesting things concerning jedis and the force.

- Portal's first two hours or so were some of the best ever designed in a game - after the last testing room it turned to shit with the plot and the puzzles got more boring as well. Should have ended after the room from which you could see the Black Mesa references.

- Braid is not overrated.

Edit: BTW, everyone hating on turn-based combat or calling it "archaic" is the worst person ever. I'll not bother singling out anyone, it goes for anyone posting about that.

feel

Left 4 Dead Versus is holding the Campaign coop back. Versus should be a separate mode with maps/missions tailored specifically for it, so that we could truly get some incredible set pieces in campaign or deeper and more open ended gameplay.

Red Dead Redemption gets really boring and repetitive fast once you get over the initial amazement period.

Halo series is great, and the best online games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just going along with what pops into my mind while surfing...

Tim Schafer, after leaving Lucasarts, is overrated. By extension, everything Double Fine has put out is not very good. They sell exactly what they deserve to. Not much.

Edit:

Red Dead Redemption is a bad, bad game. In fact, most Rockstar games are just bad games fueled by marketing and branding.
Dragon Age was very boring and broken.
Bayonetta was boring.
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 looks fugly (but could play great, so here's hoping).
Giant Bomb are a painfully unfunny bunch.

GhaleonQ

Some of you all are barely taking risks.

Here's 1: Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack is mediocre and cloying. There's also little to admire, compositionally. It's also my least favorite of the 3-d Super Mario games. It's the Pixar (whom I also reject) of video games, except that its objective quality is high.

...I can't argue with 2010's entry, though. I haven't really thought about it, but it might be my favorite game of this year.

Cheech

Letters said:
Red Dead Redemption gets really boring and repetitive fast once you get over the initial amazement period.

Yep. I quit the game at some point in Mexico. I just got sick of it. Generally after I'd put that much time into a game I'd see it through, but I could not mentally work myself up to play the game any longer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-FEAR 2 is way way better than FEAR 1 in everything , story , pacing , level design and characters..ect

-COD Black Ops single player is the best in the series.

-GOW3 is the best God of war game , GOW 2 is the worst.

-Folklore is great , it's story too.

-Female Shappard/Jennifer Hale is million years better than the male guy , her acting is superior.

- Saturn is the best SEGA system , MEGADRIVE/Genesis is the worst one.

Apath

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a great, fun title that's worth the bargain-bin price.

Totobeni said:
-Female Shappard/Jennefre Hale is million years better than the male guy , her acting is superior.
Isn't that the general consensus?

Jak 2 is the best Jak game by a large margin (great challenge, long and varied adventure, great environments). The other 2 are good, but Jak 1 is too simple and Jak 3 is basically an expansion pack for Jak 2.

MGS 3 starts out way, way to slow, so much so that even with the great second half, I think the game as a whole is inferior to MGS2. MGS 1 is better than both of them.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Ninja Gaiden II 360 is the epitome of modern action gaming.

Ninja Gaiden II 360 > Bayonetta > Devil May Cry 4 > Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 > God Of War Ps3

Hilbert

Oh how about this one! Although it is not really an opinion, but rather my experience.

I have had my 360 for 4 years and it has not red ringed. Within 4 years of owning

NES - 1 broke within 4 years. Controllers needed to be replaced about once a year.
Saturn - wouldn't read disks after 3 years
ps - broke within 4 years, second one required it be upsidedown to play games
ps2 - broke within 4 years

Xbox 360 is actually one of the more reliable systems that I have owned.

Cheech

Kenak said:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a great, fun title that's worth the bargain-bin price.

Don't play the sequel. I share your opinion on the first game, but the second one was so shitty I played it for an hour and then nuked it off my PC. Waste of money.

Curufinwe

KiNeSiS said:
Ninja Gaiden II 360 is the epitome of modern action gaming.

Ninja Gaiden II 360 > Bayonetta > Devil May Cry 4 > Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 > God Of War Ps3

Sigma 2 is better, and both are a generation behind Bayonetta.

Kintaro said:
Just going along with what pops into my mind while surfing...

Tim Schafer, after leaving Lucasarts, is overrated. By extension, everything Double Fine has put out is not very good. They sell exactly what they deserve to. Not much.

I agree. After Grim Fandango, I just don't care about his other stuff.

DR2K said:
Some do, but you're attributing it to the majority.
Okay, I'll admit that I did over generalise with that statement too much. I didn't mean to offend anyone, because I really there's millions of people who play the games that these characters appear in who don't act in such a way, and even more who avoid those games too.

That vocal minority of people really do JRPG fans a lot of damage though IMO. I have nothing against people who enjoy the antiquated gameplay for whatever reason, but I'm always wondering if the people with an avatar of a 7/8 year Japanese girl are right in the head or not.

Regardless of those people, the genre still sucks. :p

Kjellson

Ico isn't very good.

3D Zelda is much better than 2D Zelda.

Twilight Princess is fantastic, easily the best dungeons in the Zelda series.

Animal Crossing is boring.

Challenging games can be fun, but when a game gets really, really hard it kinda sucks.

Cheech

Foliorum Viridum said:
That vocal minority of people really do JRPG fans a lot of damage though IMO. I have nothing against people who enjoy the antiquated gameplay for whatever reason, but I'm always wondering if the people with an avatar of a 7/8 year Japanese girl are right in the head or not.

Regardless of those people, the genre still sucks. :p

I haven't played a good JRPG since Skies of Arcadia.

Some people SAY they liked FF13, but I completely attribute this to misplaced nostalgia. Same for people who claim that MGS4 was a good game. Shitpiles, the both of them.

Salsa

Kenak said:
That's what I took your statement to mean. I couldn't imagine that being an un-orthodox opinion.

Oh, yeah basically. But you cant deny that a lot of people here go with it. Like i said, buy a bunch of xboxs and pay for gold. I know i dont make any difference by not doing so myself, but it goes to show you how people cant stand for something. Im sure half of them had similar opinions to mine when the system first came out.

PCs are terrible for gaming. It's not easy to buy all the parts and put together a "cheap gaming PC." It's a big lie. Actually PCs are a big colossal pain in the ass for just about everything, not just gaming. Just check out all infinite threads throughout the web about some poor sap trying to get his PC working.

This is why hundreds of millions of consoles have sold over the past 30+ years. Oh yeah, a mouse and keyboard is an awful way to control a game.

:)

Chris_C

- I prefer the gameplay and story of Bioshock 2 to 1.

- Wolverine X-Men Origins Uncaged Edition is a heck of a lot of fun.

- After Burner Climax is CRAP, thanks for that waste of cashola, GAF.

- I believe videogame graphics and story are just as important as gameplay.

- Following the above, shorter single player third person action games and first person shooter are better, because they allow for a tighter story, RPG's are a different beast though.

- TES IV is an awesome game as is, sans mods.

- Bethesda's RPG's are more fun than Bioware's, even though the latter have better art direction and presentation.

- GTA IV was the best in the series, and had the most interesting lead character. That said, Vice City had the best setting.

- PC's are indeed terrible for gaming.

Salsa

The-Warning said:
PCs are terrible for gaming. It's not easy to buy all the parts and put together a "cheap gaming PC." It's a big lie. Actually PCs are a big colossal pain in the ass for just about everything, not just gaming. Just check out all infinite threads throughout the web about some poor sap trying to get his PC working.

This is why hundreds of millions of consoles have sold over the past 30+ years. Oh yeah, a mouse and keyboard is an awful way to control a game.

and the wrongest opinion award goes toooooo

peakish

The-Warning said:

This does bring blood to my head. Good job.

Hilbert

The-Warning said:

Haha, I like this one.

The-Warning said:

Well, somebody had to take the heat off me. :lol

Emitan

The-Warning said:

So this is why every business in the world gets stuff done on a 360 instead of a computer.

Top Bottom