• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Go go go

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/09/uncharted-3-first-look/

the next game in the series, entitled Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, hits stores late next year. EW recently visited the Santa Monica, California offices of Uncharted’s developer, Naughty Dog, for a sneak peek at the sequel, and we returned wishing “late next year” was right damn now.

Concept Art:

uncharted-3-desert_510.jpg

uncharted-3-village-art_510.jpg

Uncharted-3-game-art_290.jpg

The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

. The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look forsomething that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”

The execs at Naughty Dog walked us through one of the game’s levels, and while we can’t tell you anything about the locale (it actually wasn’t the desert), we can tell you that it was quintessential Uncharted, marked by dynamic camera work and gameplay that requires you to jump and climb through treacherous spaces that are in an almost constant state of change — or in this case, catastrophic collapse. Innovations? Several, including enhanced backward climbing and the ability to fight multiple baddies at once. Finally, Wells stressed that much time and effort is being lavished upon expanding Uncharted’s online multiplayer and co-op capabilities, too; expect more details to come in the coming months

Trailer at the link too!

edit - teaser trailer. a teaser for more at the VGAs.

UPDATE:

Shadow780 said:
Amazon updated their Uncharted 3 page with boxart and a few official(?)screen shots

Official blog:

5246842680_75fc5fbbd3.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/09/uncover-the-truth-in-uncharted-3/

UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception features the return of famed fortune hunter Nathan Drake and follows him through a gripping, action-packed storyline that will take you all over the world. In his search for the fabled “Atlantis of the Sands,” Nathan Drake and longtime friend and mentor Victor Sullivan set off on a daring trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert. But when terrible secrets of this lost city are uncovered, their journey becomes a desperate bid for survival that will force Drake to confront his deepest fears.

Throughout UNCHARTED 3, you’ll be taken to spectacular new locations around the globe,that will showcase all of the work we’ve taken on to take acclaimed physics, particle and visual effects to a new level.

Competitive and co-op multiplayer will return as a key ingredient to the UNCHARTED 3 package, where all of the new features we have planned will combine with our signature single-player cinematic gameplay to create a unique action-adventure multiplayer experience that can only be found in the UNCHARTED universe.

Oh, and there’s one more thing – UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception fully supports high-resolution Stereoscopic 3D.

UPDATE 2:

neojubei said:

First live demo will be on Jimmy Fallon's show on Monday:

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Attn Gamers: the first live demo of Uncharted 3 on Mon, Dec. 13th here at Late Night. Set your DVRs.

http://twitter.com/jimmyfallon/status/12920994733760512#

According to Naughty Dog’s creative director Ann Hennig, the theme of deception plays out in multiple ways throughout the threequel, from Drake doing the deceiving to Drake being deceived to some mysterious deception about Drake’s very identity. The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”.

Indiana Jones 3 = Get! Hype all the way through the fucking roof!

mf.luder

As long as marky marky is involved in zero capacity.

Insert hype needle please.

Edit: Not sure how I feel regarding Naughty Dog 'pushing' uncharted to be a transmedia experience. I hope this is inaccurate reporting.

bestami

Solo said:
Dumb name, but whatever. Game of the Year in which it releases.
From the article:
"First off, obviously the title is not “Uncharted 3: World of Deceit,” as has been rumored here and there on the Internet"

Empty

the article says 2011 and late next year a lot, but says at the end that naughty dog are being very cagey about the release date. hmmmm.

more victor goddam sullivan in the story makes me happy. not enough of him in uncharted 2.

Patryn

Anyone else find it interesting that it's Entertainment Weekly that gets the game reveal, and not an established gaming publication/Web site/whatever?

Either way, YES PLEASE.

Dibbz

Totally missed the teaser trailer at the bottom there. I think it's a bit early for another Uncharted but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes ND are too good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hype!

I wonder what mythological place is it this time.

bud

maybe it's because of the size of the pictures, but they look real.

so looking forward to this.

more sully plz

Rengoku

Wow, hope theres some gameplay in VGA's reveal trailer. I hope ND is using a similar facial mo-cap system like Rockstar's LA Noire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom