• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men Arcade |OT| of Six-Player Online Multiplayer (XBLA/PSN)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
xmen_2.jpg

detail.jpg

X-Men Arcade Co-Op Fact Sheet Info:
http://www.co-optimus.com/game/1802/xbox-live-arcade/x-men-arcade.html

Local Co-Op: Yes
Number of Players Offline: 4 Players
Online Co-Op: Yes
Number of Players Online: 6 Players
LAN or System Link: No
Number of Players via LAN or System link: 0 Players
Splitscreen: No
Simultaneous Local and Online Co-Op: Yes
Number of Players Online with Local: 6 Players
Drop-In / Drop-Out: Yes
Co-Op Specific Content: No
Single player content available in Co-Op: Yes

What is X-Men Arcade?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(arcade_game)

X-Men is an arcade game produced by Konami in 1992. It is a side-scrolling beat 'em up based on the characters of the same name under license from Marvel Comics. The animation of the X-Men and the supervillains are based on the 1989 X-Men pilot episode titled X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men.

The player chooses one of six X-Men: Cyclops, Colossus, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, or Dazzler. Their objective is to stop the villain Magneto from wreaking havoc on human civilization. They must fight through an army of hundreds of Sentinels and supervillains such as Pyro, Blob, Wendigo, Nimrod, The White Queen, Juggernaut, and Mystique. Later, Magneto kidnaps Professor X and Kitty Pryde, prompting the heroes to go on a rescue mission. The heroes fight their way to Island M and ultimately to Magneto's base on Asteroid M where the final battle with the Master of Magnetism takes place.

The object of the game is to progress as far as possible while surviving attacks from Magneto and his minions. The character is controlled with a standard joystick, an attack button, a jump button, and a mutant power button. In addition to right and left, the character can move up and down the screen as well which adds a three-dimensional feel to the game. Every character is able to fight with punches, kicks, or other close combat attacks. Each character also has a unique mutant power which can be used to defeat all or nearly all enemies on the screen. The use of a mutant power is very effective, but also costly since it causes a character to lose three health points. Normally, a character who drops below four health cannot any longer use mutant powers, but it is also possible for characters to obtain bonus mutant powers which can be stored like items (similar to Golden Axe 's magic powers).

Release Date and Price:
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/113/1138945p1.html

User icon for Reilly-IGNLevel 7
by Jim Reilly
LATEST IMAGES
View all 6 images »
LATEST VIDEOS

Konami has confirmed to IGN it will release X-Men Arcade for Xbox Live Arcade next week on Wednesday, Dec. 15. Pricing details have not been revealed.

The publisher was unable to comment when PlayStation Network will see the game, but we should know more soon.

This re-release of the popular 1992 arcade title includes four-player local, six-player online, and drop-in multiplayer support. X-Men Arcade will also have high-definition menus and online leaderboards.

Update: Konami has confirmed to IGN that X-Men Arcade will be available through PlayStation Network on Dec. 14, a day before the Xbox Live Arcade version.

Pricing for the game is 800 Microsoft Points and $9.99.

Videos:

X-Men Arcade interview w/ Konami Producer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdGt_jWIO9I

X-Men Arcade XBLA & PSN Comic-Con NYC 2010 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnwWEdgKVbY

X-Men Arcade XBLA/PSN Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbL0K47m0M

Previews:

G4TV
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/708507/x-men-arcade-preview----the-coin-op-classic-returns.html

WorthPlaying
http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/10/11/news/77461/

Screenshots:
x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080958151631280x720.jpg

x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080958108181280x720.jpg

x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080957567521280x720.jpg

x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080957522051280x720.jpg

x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080958053951280x720.jpg

x-men-the-arcade-game-201010080958010661280x720.jpg

Achievements/Trophies
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/xmen-arcade/achievements/

Super Mutant 10
You took an energy pill.

Largest Party 10
You played in a 6-player match with five other people.

Grounded 10
You completed Level 4 without jumping.

Xavier Would Be Proud! 10
You used a mutant power 5 times in one game.

Turn Pyro to Toast 10
You defeated Pyro without using any mutant powers.

Kidnapped 10
You learned that Magneto has kidnapped Professor X.

Bamf 25
You completed the game in 25 minutes or less.

X-pertise 25
You completed the game on Expert difficulty.

Master of Magnet 30
You defeated Magneto with all 6 X-Men characters!

Welcome to Die! 10
You were welcomed to die by the White Queen.

You Fell to Our Trap! 25
Mystique tried to fool you and five other players in a 6-player game.

Score Inflation 25
You earned at least 250 points in one game.

Reviews: Pending

MrDaravon

Hadn't seen any screenshots of this yet since I didn't think it was necessary, but what in the fuck is up with the artwork in the "cover" and character portraits, god damn :lol

PSGames

Why are the screens 1080p?

Anyway, I can't wait for this! I've been asking for this game for forever it seems like.

onken

strideramc said:
Day 1 for me. I will be grabbing it for PSN for the 6 player local co-op.

So there'll definitely be 6 player local on the PS3 version? No reason why there shouldn't be, 7 controller support and all.

TreIII

Dreams do come true! A whole 18 years after the fact, but true nonetheless! :lol

Day 1 PSN version.

See, Capcom?! It's not too late! Give us the Dungeons & Dragons and Aliens vs Predator games, at least!

WELCOME TO DIE!

Haha a local place n my college town had this back in the day. Brought back memories of chuck e cheese.

Glad to see it's coming to PSN. I coulda sworn it was originally announced for XBLA. W00t!

Where the hell do you guys find five other people just lying around wanting to play some old arcade game?

Going with the PS3 version anyway.(freaking one day earlier) =/
Plus with the 360 version I gotta shop around for a 1 month card and well...I dunno.

GhaleonQ

As 1 of the many who think it depends on licenses and memories (but who likes beat-'em-ups), I'd just like to request impressions of a 1st AND 2nd playthrough. I'm not being smug and thinking everyone's deluded, but I want to see what nuances you note the 2nd time after the nostalgia's removed. I'm interested in finding out. Have fun, all.

If you're not playing the JPN version when you get this game you're making a big mistake. This version adds pink-armored enemies that drop power-ups. Capsules restore all life while orbs add a mutant power(special-attack). It doesn't suddenly make this game easy or even fair(still no extends. You get two lives and that's the end of it) but it certainly helps the pacing quite a bit.

For example before the boss rush towards the end of the game a handful of pink dudes show. They drop three mutant powers IIRC and that's actually enough to cruise through the first few guys if you want. (in fact you can wipe out the four Pyros on the stage before with a single stormnado if you're playing solo). If you play it relatively safe it can be pretty easy to cruise through most stages. The main thing with the levels is it's all about positioning. You always have to be moving to just the right spot to deal and avoid damage. The first stage gives away about 90% of the enemies you're going to be facing and future stages change up the topography while sprinkling in new enemies. A lot of damage can be mitigated just by avoiding knock-down attacks. For example those assholes with tank-treads for legs love to rifle butt but it does nothing damage unless a number of hits are done in a short period(or if your hero happens to be jumping). Something to keep in mind...not much to rely on but every little bit helps since everyone can take maybe 3-5 "knockdowns" per life(or two if they eat Magneto's lightning kick twice in a row).

The bosses on the other hand are all over the place. Main thing to look out for is the guys with grab moves as there's nothing really stopping them from just doing it whenever(even if you're in the middle of hitting them) It's probably best like in TMNT that multiple players go at the boss one at a time. That way if somebody takes a hit that's just the one person and not 3 or 4 people at once.

-Pyro is a massive chump and if you take any damage fighting him you may as well start up a book-reading club and sew your great aunt a quilt.
-The Blob loves to do that grab of his. If you're incredibly patient you can wait for him to taunt and then get a free hit in. Only go for the combo if you have the health for it as he will do the BS grab.
-Wendigo...Well I got nothing. He's an ass.
-Not-Mystique-But-the-Other-Evil-Woman isn't bad at all. If she had a grab she'd be something but you can style all over her for the most part just by performing back-attacks(everyone automatically swings backwards when an enemy is behind them).
-The robot is EASY. Just move up and down and combo when you get in his face. He has some attacks and even a grab but chances are nil if you stay on him properly.
-Juggernaut is a huge ass. Dude can whip out a charge attack with absolutely no warning and he has a BS grab. Just uh..I dunno. Hope you saved some powers.
-The Pharaohs are well whatever. Obviously the main thing is watching out for their scythe. I haven't worked out the best plan on them but I bet there's a strategy floating around somewhere.
-Magneto taunts about as much as The Blob. Other than that run away when he orbs and prepare to eat a lot of lightning kicks. He's a real jerk.

I'm not sure what this "Expert difficulty" actually is but I highly doubt it's going to be something ridiculous like beat the game without continuing. Even with the JPN version it's highly improbable as the bosses are too much. TMNT XBLA didn't have an achievement for 1CCing either and that game was full of exploitable bosses.

It's crazy because this game has been around for many years and I just now realized there are different attacks depending on if you're holding Up/forward or down/forward when attacking.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It'll be nice the first run.

Then the fact that it is a half hour long and kinda crappy should hit everyone like a brick.

I guess I'll get it.

Kafel

Banned
Who's Dazzler ? (uninitiated to X-Men here except for one or two movies, sorry)

How does the game compare to, let's say, Final Fight or Streets of Rage in its mechanics ?

Kafel said:
How does the game compare to, let's say, Final Fight or Streets of Rage in its mechanics ?
Extremely simplistic compared to either of those (yes, FF1 and SoR1 are very simplistic, too)...basically like a super easy to play move-to-the-right mashfest with smartbomb/mutant power attacks similar to TMNT, The Crimefighters, and The Simpsons. Really consistent about the nibbling away at your life and filled with lots of big cheapshots meant to get you paying more to continue. Really relies on having to have co-op buddies around to make it through while still managing to be mildly fun when sober. Not a great single player game and not a great beat 'em up. I still cannot get over just how many have fond memories of these boring, but nicely presented quarter munchers.

Rad-

First thought about getting it for XBLA for bigger community but now might grab PSN for day earlier access. Hmm what to do, what to do.

Kafel

Banned
Thank you.

MightyHedgehog said:
Not a great single player game and not a great beat 'em up.

Hmmm.

So it's more a multiplayer game of course but are there combined attacks ? Like, "I hold the villain while you punch him" ?

Kafel said:
So it's more a multiplayer game of course but are there combined attacks ? Like, "I hold the villain while you punch him" ?
None that I recall. It's very simplistic, like TMNT arcade. The big gimmick here is the smooth, but non-flowing animation and the high number of players and enemies on-screen.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The bosses on the other hand are all over the place. Main thing to look out for is the guys with grab moves as there's nothing really stopping them from just doing it whenever(even if you're in the middle of hitting them) It's probably best like in TMNT that multiple players go at the boss one at a time. That way if somebody takes a hit that's just the one person and not 3 or 4 people at once.
In general the most efficient way to take out a boss is to let one person handle the boss and have one other person stay close enough to break a grab with a leap attack. Bosses and other enemies in general will pursue a single character and will pursue only that character unless another character either hits it or another character is in (horizontal) line with it.

Breaking a grab is one of the few good uses of a power in the non-Japanese version if you don't have someone to break the grab.

One of the quirks of the game is that if multiple characters are attacking at the same time, only the least damaging attack is counted when more than one hit lands at the same time. This means that a super power attack could be canceled out by some schmuck spamming the attack button for a combo.

When I played the game with other people who knew what they were doing, one of us would generally volunteer to take care of the boss. Most of the time it would be the person playing Nightcrawler.

I'm a really sucker for X-Men games, but how does it compare to the X-Men 1 and the X-Men 2: Clone Wars on the Genesis? I LOVED both games!

DMczaf

I might not play this game more than once after the first week, but I owe it to my childhood to put down 800 pts for it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Every time I remember the game, I think of This Music... Ahhh, the Savage Land.

Having played through Metamorphic Force fairly recently, I'm quite looking forward to enjoying this legitimately, too. (Wish they packed the games together, would have been such a great idea.)

My fav part of this game, VS Final Fight and SoR, always was the ability to hit grounded enemies. Shocking them with Storm, kicking them with Dazzler... really helped remove that "action deadzone" most beat 'em ups have after knocking someone down.

I'll always love 90's Konami music. They really made everything seem so gradiouse. If Sunset Riders comes to Game Room this week also, it would be quite awesome.

N4Us

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Where the hell do you guys find five other people just lying around wanting to play some old arcade game?

Really not too difficult. My old school had an X-Men cab that broke that everyone wanted to play, so yeah...

I'm surprised people still like these beat 'em ups. As much as I though they were awesome back in the day, they feel repetitive and monotonous as hell to me now.
I guess it also makes it hard to enjoy oldies after having experienced God Hand.

TreIII

Herbspicesoy said:
I'm surprised people still like these beat 'em ups. As much as I though they were awesome back in the day, they feel repetitive and monotonous as hell to me now.
I guess it also makes it hard to enjoy oldies after having experienced God Hand.

As I got more experienced, I found that it starts to become more of a thing of trying to find combos, pattern exploits and other tricks, so that perhaps you may be able to get that "Single Credit/Coin" (or better!) run. In that light alone, God Hand definitely is a worthy heir to their legacy. :D

Obviously, it's not for everyone, but I'd like to think those who love to "1CC" shmups and the like would have an idea of what I'm getting at.

Top Bottom