• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Characters with the shittiest/ most tragic lives

What video game protagonists characters have the shittiest lives? I was playing Dead Space earlier today (prepping for DS2) when I realized: Isaac Clarke has such a shitty life. And then I got to thinking what other characters have shitty lives or are severely marked by tragedy.

Max Payne:

312302-max_payne_2_graphic_novel_super.jpg

(I dunno if there's a statute of limitations on this or what, but I've tagged some parts.)

Cop comes home to find his family dead, spends three years undercover obsessed with finding out the people responsible, his best friend is murdered, he's framed, goes on a vengeance spree, and then is
arrested.
And then, in Max Payne 2, he's suffering from a crippling painkiller addiction, is a hollow shell of a man,
kills his partner, and the hired killer he falls in love with is murdered and he's left in the ruins of the mansion after killing the man he thought was his friend..
And then in Max Payne 3, he's bald, fat, and living in Brazil.

Isaac Clarke:

156703_466569396658_18523496658_5887785_3786042_n.jpg

So Isaac goes to the Ishimura to find his girlfriend and repair the ship and is thrust into some pretty fucked up shit.
And then he finds out his girlfriend was dead all along. And he's betrayed by Kendra and left to die. And then he has to fight the hive mind. And then he goes mad from his experiences (though it's possible that he may had some tendencies beforehand.
And in Dead Space 2, he's thrown into some even worse situations
and his mental deterioration is continuing

Jackie Estacado from the Darkness:

darkness1--article_image.jpg

On his 21st birthday, he's granted some super wicked powers. But then
his girlfriend is murdered in front of his eyes and by the end of the game, he's swallowed up by the Darkness essentially after getting his vengeance.

I'm sure there's more who are escaping my mind at the moment. It's just something I was thinking about. So who do you people see as having the worst lives of video game characters?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Old Snake

he had a hard life

Daddy issues, bad genetics, nicotine addiction....he got microwaved. Shits rough.

N4Us

Zappa of Guilty Gear:

Zappa_In_Battle_Stance.gif

Nothing like being possessed most of the time and punished for things you don't do.

Ziggy from Xenosaga. The guy killed himself, got resurrected because he was an organ donator, and now he doesn't own his body anymore and can't kill himself again. He tries to collect money to "upgrade" all his biological parts to mechanical ones, to truly die.

ShadiWulf

Shadow the Hedgehog

GFlHH.jpg

Born on Space Colony Ark between Eggman's father, Black Doom, and Takashi iizuka. His only friend, Maria Robotnik was killed by a GUN soldier with a bullet to the head. He suffers from amnesia and doesn't really know his purpose in life. He has a very dark and angsty life and gets dark dark memories of Maria. In fact, this song from West Side Story could sum up Shadow's love for Maria; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zySpBTSwg He hates taking sides (good vs evil) and really hates it when he has to team up with Sonic.

This is all based off true facts. Shadow is a truly disturbed videogame character.

lol

Manah from Drakengard/Drag-On Dragoon.

2vmvf41.jpg

She was born alongside her twin brother Seere, who received all of their mother's love and positive attention while Manna was inexplicably abused her entire life (verbally and physically, at the very least). When her mother died six years after their birth, Manah was chosen by "the gods" (who exactly they are is left up to you to ponder) to become the child priestess head of the the Cult of Watchers and the head of the Empire, seduced with assurances that she would then be loved by everyone.

In the canonical ending,
Caim refuses to grant her wish for death and condemns her to walk the earth for eternity, hated by all she encounters.
It's learned in Drakengard 2 that
Caim abducts her after the events of the first game and forces her to witness the destruction and suffering she caused during her time in the service of the Empire.

Of course, all of the characters in Drakengard have fucked-up lives, but hers is about the worst.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What the fuck.

I can't find a pic of Big Boss getting tortured in MGS3.

Google pictures you suck!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Everyone who's ever met Hazama. (Blazblue)

Tsubaki and Noel/Lambda/Nu/Mu... :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sazh Katzroy.

On top of his personal issues, he had to travel with Vanille for a long duration of time. No torture compares.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ezio-Auditore-de-Firenze--Assassins.png

His family is betrayed and killed right in front of his eyes. He spends the next 30 years or so hunting down and killing those responsible for the death of his family. He essentially had to abandon the only woman he actually ever loved, who would later marry another man. And then later she dies. He finally makes it to the mastermind that kills his family, but in a moment of idiocy, spares him. This comes to bite him in ass when they come back, wreck his home, and kill his uncle. He then has to spend the next few years practically single handedly rebuilding the city of Rome AND reestablishing the Assassin Order. The guy is 47 years old when that insanity finally ends.

The only thing looking up for this guy is that he gets mad pussy.

AkuMifune said:
James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2.

Yes, and I'll say Harry Mason as well. In the first Silent Hill he
loses his daughter whom he raised for seven years after going through that living Hell. In the end, he is given a new baby girl to raise, but the nightmare doesn't seem to end there
. In Silent Hill 3 we learn that
Harry and his daughter have been pursued by members of "The Order" for years despite escaping Silent Hill. In the end, he is eventually killed by them. Seventeen years since the events in Silent Hill took place, and he never truly escaped.

Alessa Gillespie is a good answer, as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sn4ke_911 said:
http://www.iill.net/wp-content/uploads/images/kerrigan.jpg

She went through a lot of shit as a ghost, but I think becoming "Queen Bitch of the Universe" has its upsides.

AkuMifune

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
Yes, and I'll say Harry Mason as well.

Yeah, none of those characters make out well. One of the things I really love about that series: people end up in Silent Hill because of their sins, and are usually damned in the end anyway.

AkuMifune said:
Yeah, none of those characters make out well. One of the things I really love about that series: people end up in Silent Hill because of their sins, and are usually damned in the end anyway.

Except in Harry's case, he was just being a good father which I feel makes it even sadder.

Arkham_Asylum_skeleton.jpg

Th Guy's fending off the reanimated skeletons of his murdered parents, If that's not a tragic life, I donno what is!
I just made that up, but it sounds cool no?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ShadiWulf said:
Shadow the Hedgehog

GFlHH.jpg

Born on Space Colony Ark between Eggman's father, Black Doom, and Takashi iizuka. His only friend, Maria Robotnik was killed by a GUN soldier with a bullet to the head. He suffers from amnesia and doesn't really know his purpose in life. He has a very dark and angsty life and gets dark dark memories of Maria. In fact, this song from West Side Story could sum up Shadow's love for Maria; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zySpBTSwg He hates taking sides (good vs evil) and really hates it when he has to team up with Sonic.

This is all based off true facts. Shadow is a truly disturbed videogame character.

lol
You know who's life is shittier and even more tragic?

Tails.jpg

Not comparable to some of the more fucked up ones, but Rebecca Chambers from RE always seemed like the most tragic character in the series to me.

bkiyt.jpg

Raiden. child soldier, rejected by worthless MGS fans, lied to by pretty much everyone in the storyline, re molded by kojima to fit expectations. what an ugly, abused creature. i felt bad for him in MGS4.

you can add guts from berserk too if you want. abused in many ways throughout his life. but you have to read the manga to get the big picture.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Augemitbutter said:
bkiyt.jpg

Raiden. child soldier, rejected by worthless MGS fans, lied to by pretty much everyone in the storyline, re molded by kojima to fit expectations. what an ugly, abused creature. i felt bad for him in MGS4.

you can add guts from berserk too if you want. abused in many ways throughout his life. but you have to read the manga to get the big picture.

Agreed.

DonMigs85

Kamek probably lived a pretty shitty life, having to care for Baby Bowser and all.
Terra from FFVI too, having been taken by Gestahl as a baby and turned into a mindless living weapon.
And Dodo from Mario RPG.

Top Bottom