• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Characters with the shittiest/ most tragic lives

54-46! said:
http://i.imgur.com/rjAej.jpg[IMG]

- Her unborn baby got taken from her in the middle of the battlefield.
- Forced to kill her lover for the good of the country.
- Forced to be killed by her student for the good of the country.

Edit: Well, I'm slow..[/QUOTE]
Yes yes and yes. The Boss is the most tragic character ever put in videogames.
Also add, Forced to die as a traitor to that list. Nothing more tragic than that, since Boss loved nothing more than her country.

[IMG]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1952/179296-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Roto13 said:
Maya Fey from the Ace Attorney games.
When she's a kid, her father leaves because he's a pussy and her mother leaves because she, through no fault of her own, has shamed the Fey clan by pointing at the "wrong" (not really) person in a criminal case. Then when she grows up, her sister is murdered, and her aunt, one of her two remaining relatives, tries to have HER framed for murder. (Even going so far as to convince her she had actually killed someone.) But really, the worst part is when she meets her mother for the first time since she was a child and doesn't recognize her. And then her mother is murdered before she gets the chance to tell her. The whole thing was so depressing.
Despite all that happens to her, her character never really seems to evolve any. Hopefully Shu Takumi rectifies that in the eventual sequel to Apollo Justice. I want to see an awesome, more mature, and hardened Maya Fey. Especially if she ends up raising Pearl. Teenage Pearl will be so awesome. :O

You also forgot that
she is held captive and starved.

jiggle said:
cast-of-characters-dragon-quest-v-20090211035339382.jpg

hero of Dragon Quest 5
lost his mother at birth
watched his father mudered before his eyes
enslaved as a child
spent years of his adult life as a rock and missed watching his babies grow up

But at least he can sex up his own offspring now. :lol

B.K. said:
His life wasn't that bad. He found a new reason to live after he met MOMO and Juli.

Shion Uzuki had a horrible life. Her mother was in a coma most of her childhood and her father neglected her because of his work with U-TIC. Her only friends were Febronia, Cecily and Cathe, and Amadel. Shion watched both her parents killed Asura series Realians. Then, she unleashed the Gnosis on the world. All the blood of the people killed by Gnosis after the Miltian Conflict is on Shion's hands. Billions or even trillions of people died because of her. Then, she was forced to let KOS-MOS destroy Cecily and Cathe and later, she was forced to kill Amadel with her own hands. Not to mention how Kevin manipulated her.
Alright, I guess you're right.

But who is this Amadel guy? I don't remember him...

Considering there were 2 Berserk video game adaptations, Guts i think, easily tops this thread:

- Orphan of an executed mother
- Raped as a child
- Cursed with a brand acting as a demon magnet
- Everyone his ever known is dead or will soon will be
- Witnessed first hand the rape of his loved one
- Betrayed by many

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
the guy from Neverdead who's head is always falling off and shit

that's gotta be rough in everyday situations

Lard

Banned
Imbarkus said:
Anthony, from Eternal Darkness

And, on that note:

Paul, from Eternal Darkness

Pretty much every character from ED

Pious Augustus -
corrupted by one of the Ancients' essences

Ellia -
chosen to bear Mantorok's essence. Pious kills her for her resistance to him shortly afterwards, but she remains half-alive because the essence is inside her body

Karim -
he sacrifices himself so that he can watch over the artifact

Dr. Maximillian Roivas -
committed to an asylum after trying to convince people about the ancients

Roberto Bianchi -
he is thrown into the pillar and buried alive after he builds it

Edward Roivas -
killed by a Lesser Guardian in his house

Finaika said:
Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue. His father was murdered.

And he's going to stay in that fucking cave forever :(

Boney said:
I guess Pious Augustus? Being corrupted must've sucked pretty bad.

Props on the Shadow mention, this is what this thread feels to me.

I can't believe I forgot Eternal Darkness. I nominate EVERYONE IN THE GAME, but especially
the priest Paul Luther.
Dear god that was fucked up.

FAKE EDIT: Imbarkus said it well. (Except for that "statue of limitations" thing. Needless spoilers are always needless.)

Roxas said:
Yeah...The Boss...fuck, what a seriously depressing ending MGS3 was :lol

I will admit I cried like a baby at the end of MGS3.... and it was for Big Boss, not The Boss.

His story really should have ended on that powerful note :/

Booshka said:
http://images.uesp.net//thumb/6/6c/MW-NPCs-Hlormar_Wine-Sot.jpg/180px-MW-NPCs-Hlormar_Wine-Sot.jpg

The half-naked barbarian Hlormar Wine-Sot. Seduced by a witch who then paralyzed him, stripped him of his clothes and robbed him of his prized Axe Cloudcleaver. Even worse, I just insulted him and left him there because I knew his Axe sucked.:D

:lol

hteng said:
All the story developed by Cavia are honestly pretty fucked up, and their characters have even more fucked up lives.

look at Drakengard and Nier

I really want Sawako Natori (scenario writer) to keep working in the industry. It sounds strange to say this, but I adore Drakengard's story and characters.

Sanjay

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Max Payne:

In Max Payne 2, he's suffering from a crippling painkiller addiction, is a hollow shell of a man,
kills his partner, and the hired killer he falls in love with is nearly murdered but lives and he's left in the ruins of the mansion with his love in his hands after killing the man he thought was his friend..
And then they grew old together and lived happily ever after and died of old age.

Fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGER40F0JzE

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Boss. Followed by Big boss.

She got fucked over badly. And was fucked over by the people she trusted and fought for her entire life.

The only character I can think of with a more tragic or as tragic life is Guts from Berserk.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Night_Trekker said:
I can't believe I forgot Eternal Darkness. I nominate EVERYONE IN THE GAME, but especially
the priest Paul Luther.
Dear god that was fucked up.

FAKE EDIT: Imbarkus said it well. (Except for that "statue of limitations" thing. Needless spoilers are always needless.)

OK I stand corrected. Guess I made the right call in the end.

Digging through survival horror memory for this topic, can't believe I forgot:

Lisa Trevor (REmake, Gamecube)

210px-Trevor_front.jpg

The gamecube remake added one plot thread of a pure miserable horror-filled life for one character in particular.
Lured to Umbrella at age 14 when her father accepted a job to design their insidious mansion, she was doomed when she arrived as Oswell Spencer had no intention of letting the Mansion's secrets, or the Travor family, out alive. Lisa and her mother arrived before her father, and were immediately abducted into the research lab beneath it to be used as test subjects, never seeing him again. Her father was locked in a cell and starved to death after finishing work on the mansion. Lisa's mother was planning their escape, but was killed when experiments on her proved unsuccessful. It is unclear, but possible, that she was killed by Lisa herself.

To Lisa's woe, however, the experiments on her were very successful. She integrated with the Progenitor virus-ladened parasite implanted in her in a way not seen before, and thus became the subject of two decades of unending torturous implantations, leaving her monstrous, disfigured, and quite mad. Umbrella tried to fool her, sending in researchers masquerading as her parents, whom she killed and stripped of their faces to wear over her own mutilated one.

Unable to get stable results from experiments with her and having lost many researchers to her rage, Umbrella eventually decided to just kill her, and tried various methods. They found her unkillable, and locked her in the basement in the crypt of her mother.

Another decade, either Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine find her there, shackled and screaming in madness. As the player, you either "kill" her outright, or open the crypt's sarcophagous, at which point she realizes her mother is dead, grabs the skull from the tomb, screams "Mother!" and leaps to her apparent death at the bottom of a chasm.

Though there are indications that she survives, monstrous and mad, looking for revenge...

Truly one of the saddest character fates I remember encountering.

Edit: Capcom resists image-linking I guess.

Magnus

Imbarkus said:
OK I stand corrected. Guess I made the right call in the end.

Digging through survival horror memory for this topic, can't believe I forgot:

Lisa Trevor (REmake, Gamecube)

210px-Trevor_front.jpg

The gamecube remake added one plot thread of a pure miserable horror-filled life for one character in particular.
Lured to Umbrella at age 14 when her father accepted a job to design their insidious mansion, she was doomed when she arrived as Oswell Spencer had no intention of letting the Mansion's secrets, or the Travor family, out alive. Lisa and her mother arrived before her father, and were immediately abducted into the research lab beneath it to be used as test subjects, never seeing him again. Her father was locked in a cell and starved to death after finishing work on the mansion. Lisa's mother was planning their escape, but was killed when experiments on her proved unsuccessful. It is unclear, but possible, that she was killed by Lisa herself.

To Lisa's woe, however, the experiments on her were very successful. She integrated with the Progenitor virus-ladened parasite implanted in her in a way not seen before, and thus became the subject of two decades of unending torturous implantations, leaving her monstrous, disfigured, and quite mad. Umbrella tried to fool her, sending in researchers masquerading as her parents, whom she killed and stripped of their faces to wear over her own mutilated one.

Unable to get stable results from experiments with her and having lost many researchers to her rage, Umbrella eventually decided to just kill her, and tried various methods. They found her unkillable, and locked her in the basement in the crypt of her mother.

Another decade, either Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine find her there, shackled and screaming in madness. As the player, you either "kill" her outright, or open the crypt's sarcophagous, at which point she realizes her mother is dead, grabs the skull from the tomb, screams "Mother!" and leaps to her apparent death at the bottom of a chasm.

Though there are indications that she survives, monstrous and mad, looking for revenge...

Truly one of the saddest character fates I remember encountering.

Edit: Capcom resists image-linking I guess.

Completely forgot about this.

What an amazing fucking game, and truly an amazing and unexpected addition to a remake.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Magnus said:
Completely forgot about this.

What an amazing fucking game, and truly an amazing and unexpected addition to a remake.

Yeah. I was disturbed for days after that one. My friggin' daughter is 14. This game tripled Umbrella's evil factor.

MCD

hRnB6.gif

Always doing the dirty work for some evil strategist and not getting any proper appreciation because of some handsome blue guy.

Harpuia

Ezio Auditores life isn't a fun one. He sees his father, older brother, and younger brother get hanged. His family is betrayed by a person his dad assumed was a friend. He also has to leave his girlfriend and true love, who (ass creed brohood spoilers)
gets married to someone else,and, later dies in his arms
. Also loses(more acbrohood spoilers)
his uncle mario, who was like a father to him
. And is thrust into a battle between the assassins and templars, forced to give up the peaceful life style he once knew and live in thhe shadows. Can't say he ever wanted this life.

Wazzim

Banned
My Monster Hunter character, hunting huge monsters for hundreds of ingame hours just to get even more requests.

Grisby

Good call Imbarkus, I completely forgot about Lisa Trevor. That whole family's story is tragic but her fate is by far the worst.

images

Hopefully that image works. Basically I have to add that most of the npc characters from demons souls. Lord rydell specifically,
imprisoned for god knows how long and trying to find his corpse so he can retrieve his most prized possessions. not to mention he is already dead.

God damns I love that fucking series folks.

Ezalc

Sigurd.jpg

Sigurd from Fire Emblem 4.

-Gets the woman he loves, whom he just married taken from him.
-Sees his father die right in front of him after his father was falsely accused of treason.
-Sees his brother-in-law, who is also his best friend, and younger sister killed and can't do anything to stop it.
-Is betrayed by his other brother in law and killed along with the rest of his army due to false accusations.
-His wife is brainwashed to fuck her half brother who was the one who killed him in order to make a cult of demon worshipping brainwashed kids.
-He never got to meet his then unborn son who would eventually avenge him.

Yet he's still the greatest fucking FE protagonist ever.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
312gqvn.jpg

Nanao - Robot Alchemic Drive

Although, to be fair, her life's only as shitty as your careless ass makes it.

MattKeil said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/312gqvn.jpg[/IMG

Nanao - Robot Alchemic Drive

Although, to be fair, her life's only as shitty as your careless ass makes it.[/QUOTE]
Nanao... ;_; Anytime something bad happened to her, I had to restart and prevent it if I could.

MCD

Honestly though, my vote always go to Drakengard.

All characters there are bunch of miserable, sad little bastards.

Otacon. He slept with his dad or a parrot or maybe it was his dad's parrot or some shit like that in MGS2. I dont know which it was. I had lost interest in the convoluted story long before that point.

Top Bottom