• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Am I the only one who's changed his list several times? It just goes to show that, at least for me, there hasn't been a single stand out game this year, it's been a year of parity. I could swap just about any of them in as my 'GOTY' and it would still work for me.

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
Am I the only one who's changed his list several times? It just goes to show that, at least for me, there hasn't been a single stand out game this year, it's been a year of parity. I could swap just about any of them in as my 'GOTY' and it would still work for me.
where's your new list

I just got golden sun, but I doubt it's gonna make it's way into the list.

Gomu Gomu

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. God of War 3
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Darksiders
6. Picross 3D
7. Castlevania: Lord of Shadow

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
where's your new list

I just got golden sun, but I doubt it's gonna make it's way into the list.

It's somewhere on page 3 I think. I decided to move VVVVVV up to no. 1 after beating it then playing it a 2nd time, it's such a badass game.

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
It's somewhere on page 3 I think. I decided to move VVVVVV up to no. 1 after beating it then playing it a 2nd time, it's such a badass game.
Played the demo of that, found it really fun, but looked really short, and it's pc.

I guess you're gonna kick me in the head till I get it huh?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
Played the demo of that, found it really fun, but looked really short, and it's pc.

I guess you're gonna kick me in the head till I get it huh?

Yes, but I'll be kicking you in the head either way tbh.

It is short, but in a good way, it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's remains fun on subsequent playthroughs. Plus, there's trinkets to collect and time trials, but I'm not ready for those yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It makes me happy to see Just Cause 2 landing on so many lists. :D It deserves all the accolades it can get.

Vanquish, too. Shame the general gaming public doesn't seem to love it as much as GAF does. =/

1. Red Dead Redemption; The western game i always wanted. Even watching the sunset was great. Great DLC. 360 version.
2. Demon's Souls (europe): Holy shit... hyped by GAF. Delivered in all kinds of ways.
3. Darksiders; Surprise of the year. Ode to Zelda and GoW.
4. PACMAN CE DX PSN; They made a perfect game better.
5. God of War 3; Some really memorable batlles and the looks made the scale go trough the roof. Loved the finishing moves. Hated that Kratos had a soft side.
6. Mass Effect2; For me the ideal action RPG in space. Not that indepht on the rpg side, but great gameplay. I was playing in a Star Wars movie or something. Immersive game
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops; Nice SP, but the online was an improvement from CoD MW2
8. F1 2010; Just a great racing SIM. Without nonsense.
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light; Great PSN game. It blew me away. Puzzles are hard but always doable. Best use of dual analog controls.
10. Halo Reach; Good game, great multiplayer, but somehow Halo always fails to leave a lasting impression with me. Maybe because my friends don't play it.

NOTE: Have yet to play Bayonetta, SM-Galaxy 2 and Vanquish.. so.. yeah.

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
Yes, but I'll be kicking you in the head either way tbh.

It is short, but in a good way, it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's remains fun on subsequent playthroughs. Plus, there's trinkets to collect and time trials, but I'm not ready for those yet.
Well mister, I'll cut you a deal. You get Other M on your list, and I'll let you gift VVVVVV to me. You can continue the kicking regardless.

Orgen

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Bayonetta
4. Vanquish
5. Nier
6. Darksiders
7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
8. Alan Wake
9. FIFA 11
10. Final Fantasy 13

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
3. Assassin's Creed 2
4. Goldeneye 007
5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
6. Alpha Protocol
7. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
Well mister, I'll cut you a deal. You get Other M on your list, and I'll let you gift VVVVVV to me. You can continue the kicking regardless.

what is your Steam ID, Boney?

Haunted

1138 said:
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Assassin's Creed 2
7. Goldeneye 007.
8. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
9. Alpha Protocol
10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
bzzzt

That'll be counted as 3-10 staying empty.

OP said:
Non-consecutively numbered entries will not be counted.

1. Heavy Rain
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. God of War 3
4. Vanquish
5. Shatter
6. Yakuza 3
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
8. Dead Nation
9. NBA 2K11
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

Please let me know if the formatting is accurate. Thanks again neogaf!

tokkun

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
4. 3D Dot Game Heroes
5. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent
6. Persona 3: Portable

kodt

Banned
1. Minecraft ; This game suprised and addicted me like none other this year.
2. Red Dead Redemption ; GTA Old West.
3. Alan Wake ; Very atmospheric, very intense gameplay. Story was interesting.
4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; Blizzard continues to improve WoW. Underwater zones were done great. Redoing the 1-60 content was a great move, improved the entire game.
5. Heavy Rain ; Despite plot holes, it offers a very compelling and unique experience. Besides, you don't really notice plot holes on the first play-though.
6. Mass Effect 2 ; Disliked at first b/c they removed inventory. Realized this is a great action game instead of an RPG.
7. God of War 3 ; Not as good as 2, but sitll one of the best action games out there.
8. Limbo ; great platformer, amazing setting and creativity. Puzzles that require thinking and feel rewarding when you complete them.
9. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Same great multiplayer. Pretty good singleplayer.
10. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; scariest game I have every played.

Games that didn't make the list b/c I haven't had time to play them:

Fallout: New Vegas
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Dead Rising 2
Mafia 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Goldeneye 007
Gran Turismo 5
Donkey Kong Country Returns

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Yakuza 3
4. 3D Dot Game Heroes
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
6. Civilization 5
7. God of War 3
8. DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
9. Darksiders
10. Heavy Rain

Koralsky

1. Bayonetta
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. FIFA 11
4. Vanquish
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
6. NFS: Hot Pursuit
7. Halo: Reach
8. Sonic the Hedgehog Ep 1
9. Yakuza 3
10. God of War 3

Hi Haunted, you would be wrong. I owned an Xbox 1 with Live, and have owned a 360 since launch. I even borrowed a Wii for a while this year. I just have really weird tastes, apparently, that cause me either not to play certain games, or just to flat-out hate them. My two favorite games on 360 are Forza 3 and Trials HD, but they were released a while ago. I hated Limbo (hard to like if you have a 2yo kid, same reason why I've shied away from Heavy Rain). I can't try Kinect (don't own it, not enough space). I can't get into most shooters. I don't play many sports games. I've hated Mario and its aesthetic all my life. I love Kirby's aesthetic, but not out here in Europe until Spring next year. It doesn't leave much.

Don't suddenly expect to see Mass Effect 2 on the list next year just because it comes out on PS3 then either. I did play Final Fantasy XIII but didn't like it enough to come onto this list. And I played 1% of GTA IV and hated it. So you'll forgive me for not jumping onto Red Dead either. Hated Bayonetta. Couldn't find anything to like about Alan Wake (my wife is the Stephen King fan, but you'll have to remove a LOT of shooting before she'll try something like this).

Oh, and my PC that is currently worse at running multi-platform games than my PS3, will be capable of gaming more or less starting tomorrow. So who knows if I'll try Civ 5 or Starcraft then though I played so much Civ back when it was originally released that I haven't found the patience to get into the modern releases (I keep trying each time though). And I also have a PSP, no games from that either.

Ventrue

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Limbo
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Alpha Protocol
5. Darksiders
6. Dead Rising 2
7. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
9. Assassin's Creed 2

Sir Lizardman

Neo Member
1. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Bayonetta
4. Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Snoopy Flying Ace
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
9. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
10. Halo: Reach

Pride

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Halo: Reach
3. World of Warcraft: Catacylsm
4. Kinect Sports
5. Alan Wake
6. Limbo
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Just Cause 2

1. Minecraft
2. Cave Story
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Tales of Monkey Island
5. Super Meat Boy
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
7. World of Warcraft: Catacylsm
8. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
9. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
10. Metroid: Other M
x. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
x. Monster Hunter 3: Tri

imail

1. Alan Wake ; No game kept me immersed with its great atmosphere and story like this one.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Great story, great characters, great replay value.
3. Bayonetta ; IMHO hack-and-slash games shouldn't take themselves seriously like GoW.
4. Halo: Reach ; Great single player,great multiplayer.
5. Assassin's Creed 2 ; Great single player, great story, very innovative multiplayer.
6. Vanquish ;
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ;
8. Red Dead Redemption ;
9. Final Fantasy 13 ;
10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ;

imail

Infernodash said:
1. Heavy Rain
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. God of War 3
4. Vanquish
5. Shatter
6. Yakuza 3
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
8. Dead Nation
9. NBA 2K11
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

Please let me know if the formatting is accurate. Thanks again neogaf!

No roman numbers. Use Final Fantasy 13 instead of Final Fantasy XIII.

jedimike

1. Alan Wake; Fresh, engaging, and fun
2. Just Cause 2; So much depth. I've really only just started but I already like it more than RDR
3. Halo: Reach; Amazing SP story. I never even touched the MP
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops; Treyarch fixed everything that was broken with MW2
5. Red Dead Redemption; Very immersive but I lost interest about 3/4 through
6. Dance Central; I may actually be able to dance someday
7. Kinect Sports; It looks, plays, and feels like a Rare game. Nuff said
8. Snoopy Flying Ace; Crimson Skies reincarnate. My MP skills were weak though
9. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction; deserves way more play time from me and attention from the media
10. Limbo; So many great XBLA games. I should have more in my top 10.

Honorable mentions - XBLA games this year mostly kicked ass and Hydro Thunder as well as Super Meat Boy should be on everyone's play list.

Kinectimals is also a greatly made game, but just not a good fit for GAF.

I also really enjoyed the Medal of Honor SP campaign. I would have no problem placing it in positions 6-10, but reserved those for games that are very good and deserve more attention.

Disclaimers - I see a lot of Mass Effect 2 at the top of these lists and it has encouraged me to break it out of the case and give it a play. I just haven't had the time to put into an RPG.

JaCy

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Alan Wake
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
8. BioShock 2
9. Fable 3
10. Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

Rctdaemon

1. Bayonetta
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Vanquish
4. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
5. Limbo
6. Epic Mickey
7. Perfect Dark
8. Metroid: Other M
9. Tales of Monkey Island
10. After Burner Climax
x. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

angelfly

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Heavy Rain
3. Halo Reach
4. Bayonetta
5. Dragon Quest IX
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. God of War 3
8. Fable 3
9. Alan Wake
10. Final Fantasy XIII
x. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
x. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Boney

Banned
Rctdaemon said:
1. Bayonetta
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Vanquish
4. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
5. Limbo
6. Epic Mickey
7. Perfect Dark
8. Metroid: Other M
9. Tales of Monkey Island
10. After Burner Climax
x. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
snoopy-happy-dance.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
4. Cave Story

That is really all worth mentioning for now... mostly played through my huge backlog this year so did not buy many new games. Played SMG2 a long while ago in the spring, played my brother's copy of DKCR that he got as a Xmas gift, got cave story as a secret santa gift. Still haven't gotten through super meat boy, dragon quest ix, starcraft, 007, kirby.

no pc version of RDR or vanquish makes me :(
Havent played ODST yet... so Reach will have to wait for a while...

Cheesemeister said:
This is no longer an issue. The OP hasn't been updated yet.

It's now been updated. Thanks for the reminders, and sorry for the holiday delays.

Here's the basic list of changes:

- You can use roman numerals if you wish to
- Strict use of punctuation for your formatting is no longer required, though it is still appreciated.
- Not really a change, but as added emphasis: For honorable mentions to be counted, they must be preceded by "x." (without the quotes)

Thanks everyone for being understanding while we work out the kinks, and thanks especially for Cheesemeister for buffing up the parser and making it more flexible for everyone's entries :D

1. Dead Rising 2
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Picross 3D
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Transformice
6. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
7. Mount & Blade: Warband
8. Minecraft
9. Tilt to Live
10. Deadly Premonition

Explanations may come later.

NME

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Limbo
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Alan Wake
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

imthemaid said:
what does having a 2yo kid have to do with it?

If you have a two yo kid, you live Limbo every single day in your mind each time you walk out with him. It deprecates the game's theme immensely as a result, leaving nice animations and fairly straightforward puzzles. It's a neatly designed game with some wonderful environments and I can appreciate it, but ultimately it is just not for me and being a father is definitely a part of it.

drkOne

1. Mass Effect 2; Change in gameplay made Mass Effect 2 a more approachable game. Improvement for the better in what was already a great game. Makes the top of my list because of how easy-going and enjoyable it was to play this sequel.
2. Nier; Everyone that is able to appreciate Nier will agree that this game is better than the sum of its parts. Apart from the music that accompains the game, nothing really comes close to AAA titles, but when everything comes together it really shines. I was caught by surprise, but it was easy to dive into the game and in the end I spent 40 hours on the first playthrough without even noticing.
3. Alan Wake; Bright Falls has a great atmosphere and all the story behind it is rather intriguing. The gameplay is handled really well and fits the Thriller quite decently.
4. Bioshock 2; Another really atmospheric game. Even if I didn't like the story as much on this sequel, I think that playing this game already knowing what I could expect from Bioshock made it easier to get drawn into it and thus enjoy it much more.
5. Vanquish; Platinum did it again… Bayonetta was my 2009 GOTY and even though Vanquish doesn't reach the same tier, I got what I expected from it… Fast-paced action with ridiculously-cool animations and design.
6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent; After Penumbra I highly respected Frictional Games and knew Amnesia wouldn't disappoint. I think it takes Survival Horror to a whole new level. Playing this game at night, lights off and headphones on was probably one of the best experiences I had with games ever.
7. Super Meat Boy; Really made me feel nostalgic. Best platformer this year.
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light; I'm a fan of twin stick shooters, and Lara Croft is that… and more! It still has puzzle sections has you'd expect from a Lara Croft game, but they're more straightforward and so the pace of the game is kept throughout. I really enjoyed it, and hope more games will follow this example.
9. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors; I have an hard time putting this game down… The story is really interesting and always keeps you wanting more. Thank god the game has multiple endings, I don't want to put be done with it any time soon.
10. Metro 2033; My love for this game is based on its atmosphere… Turn subtitles off and it doesn't feel like you're playing a game anymore. Gameplay is decent enough not to ruin the experience.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Heavy Rain
4. God of War 3
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd ; I read the rules! I live in JP
8. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
9. Vanquish
10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

tiff

Banned
I haven't played it enough to make definitive judgment on it, but I think it's worth pointing out that Rune Factory 3 isn't on the nominations list.

1. Vanquish
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Phantasy Star Portable 2
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Bayonetta
6. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
7. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
8. Kirby's Epic Yarn
9. Endless Ocean 2: Blue World (Missing from nominations list)
10. Ys Seven

john tv

1. Monster Hunter Tri ; 150+ hours and it just got better and better
2. Game Dev Story ; Hardcore addictive - I'll never get that weekend back
3. Nier ; Best soundtrack all year
4. Demon's Souls ; Loved the concept, want to see more
5. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; More of a 2009 game for me, but spent like 90 hours with it and really enjoyed it
6. Heavy Rain ; bad voice acting, but very atmospheric
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; Stupid story, not really Castlevania, but still enjoyed it quite a bit
8. Cave Story ; Old-school fun
9. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; More old-school fun
10. Costume Quest ; A little too simple, but very cute and funny
x. Red Dead Redemption ; didn't play enough to get into my top 10 yet but I can tell it's GOTY-worthy already from the 2-3 hours I played
x. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors ; only just started this, but love the concept.
x. 3D Dot Game Heroes ; this was 2009 for me as well, but loved it -- wish Nintendo would make a real Zelda 1 follow-up so we didn't have to rely on games like this to fill the void!

Xilium

1. Nier
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Alpha Protocol
4. Final Fantasy 13
5. Valkyria Chronicles 2
6. Civilization 5
7. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
8. Resonance of Fate
9. Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland
10. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Status