• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Thread - 2011 Edition | Stuffed on Gingerbread, Hungry for Honeycomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
OwgH0.jpg

1z1eclf.png
mtF7l.png

The year 2011 is almost here and with that, we have an ushering in of blazing fast new smartphones running dual-core processors and advanced graphics chips to connect you to the world you live in. This year's thread is going to be themed after the saying "Everyone, everywhere!" in which the Android phones will be broken down into regions, continents or countries. The goal here isn't to exclude anyone but to have a feeling of being connected in the Android phone world. This thread also is merging the software and hardware thread into one while having customizations (custom ROMs, rooting, skins etc.) having a separate thread. Enjoy and let's have Android start 2011 with a bang!

What is Android?
11hdlw1.png

Open

Android was built from the ground-up to enable developers to create compelling mobile applications that take full advantage of all a handset has to offer. It was built to be truly open. For example, an application can call upon any of the phone's core functionality such as making calls, sending text messages, or using the camera, allowing developers to create richer and more cohesive experiences for users. Android is built on the open Linux Kernel. Furthermore, it utilizes a custom virtual machine that was designed to optimize memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment. Android is open source; it can be liberally extended to incorporate new cutting edge technologies as they emerge. The platform will continue to evolve as the developer community works together to build innovative mobile applications.

All applications are created equal

Android does not differentiate between the phone's core applications and third-party applications. They can all be built to have equal access to a phone's capabilities providing users with a broad spectrum of applications and services. With devices built on the Android Platform, users are able to fully tailor the phone to their interests. They can swap out the phone's homescreen, the style of the dialer, or any of the applications. They can even instruct their phones to use their favorite photo viewing application to handle the viewing of all photos.

Breaking down application boundaries

Android breaks down the barriers to building new and innovative applications. For example, a developer can combine information from the web with data on an individual's mobile phone -- such as the user's contacts, calendar, or geographic location -- to provide a more relevant user experience. With Android, a developer can build an application that enables users to view the location of their friends and be alerted when they are in the vicinity giving them a chance to connect.

Fast & easy application development
Android provides access to a wide range of useful libraries and tools that can be used to build rich applications. For example, Android enables developers to obtain the location of the device, and allows devices to communicate with one another enabling rich peer-to-peer social applications. In addition, Android includes a full set of tools that have been built from the ground up alongside the platform providing developers with high productivity and deep insight into their applications.

24cbnep.png
vB6C9.png

Since Android phones change about every 2-4 weeks, an outline of the current phones list seems a little redundant on GAF since there is a lot more info out there that can be put into this post. Instead, I've decided to have a "Showcase" phone. With that, there is also a map and regions listed below. By clicking on the carrier in your region, it should take you to the Android store with available phones. *note: this is heavily under construction and if you would like to contribute from your region, please send me a PM to learn how to help!

The Showcase phone for December 2010 is:

Samsung Nexus S
9gvpj8.png

The world stage

FO4be.png

JiGyI.png

*coming soon!!*

U5DeJ.png

*coming soon!!*

O6imm.png

*coming soon!!*

uTi4L.png

*coming soon!!*

X5ZNI.png

*coming soon!!*

vicj7.png

*coming soon!!*

O1bqB.png

*coming soon!!*

2jayio2.png
EtZqe.png

2upxzkh.png
2i16T.png

android-honeycomb-1293103955.jpg

Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) coming in March!? Engadget | BGR

ftlxmb.png
TMQ8y.png

Android Resources on NeoGAF:

• Android Customizations thread
    Wanna show of your latest customization? Have questions on rooting or custom ROMs? This thread is the "official" partner thread of the Android 2011 thread on NeoGAF.
  • Android Software Thread 2010 Edition
    Archive thread for talking about apps, updates, rooting and more are covered and discussed in-depth in this thread for the Android operating system.

F.A.Q.'s (*always being updated!*)
  • Q: Why isn't there an "official" software thread for 2011?
  • A: The reason that we have collectively decided against that is because it was a burden to have to jump back and forth between two threads. This way, all things Android (be it hardware or software) can be discussed here.

• Q: Will this thread be the same thread to talk about upcoming tablets?
  • A: That is still up in the air. Right now tablet talk (featuring honeycomb or later) is fine in this thread but it may branch off into a separate thread at a later time. Obviously if the consensus is to keep everything in one thread, we shall do so.

• Q: So I'm new to Android and I love NeoGAF, is there a better way to browse the forum on my new Android phone?
  • A: YES!! Simply go to this site: http://secondapps.com/neogaf Make sure you bookmark it or make it a shortcut on your browser or homescreen for easy access to NeoGAF!

• Q: I would like to help out with the thread, what can I do?
  • A: Great!! Quickest way to get involved is to post up the latest news in this thread and/or programs that you love. Beyond that, if you want to get more involved, shoot me a PM with what you're offering and we'll go from there! :)

Shout outs to: RJNavarrete for the header graphics and any other graphics that look awesome in which will probably be designed by him, Andrex for the previous threads,
hang in there buddy!! We'll see you soon!
, SimleuqiR, gcubed, and many more to come!

Pctx

Banned
zNjmB.png

12/31/2010 @ 1139 - Added information in post #3 on latest Qualcomm chips as well as Tegra 2 chipsets.
12/24/2010 @ 0908 - Added additional information to Introduction about merging Hardware and software threads. Added official partner link to "Customizations" thread under NeoGAF Android Resources", Added FAQ section to address some questions I've been getting via PM.
12/23/2010 @ 0805 - Added Honeycomb release date under "Rumor" section.
12/23/2010 @ 0727 - Updated OP with graphics and sub-categories. Made some adjustments to code and formating.

Pctx

Banned
Here will be a brief overview of the chipsets coming out in 2011 that will be the next-gen CPU to power smartphones.

Qualcomm: (via Anandtech)
303ij4p.jpg

2inqzk.jpg

2dl0x3d.jpg

Nvidia: (via Anandtech)
2s1xkc9.jpg

20ix4zl.jpg

*more coming soon!

giga

You have two 2010 hardware threads ;). Great job with everything though.

I assume this will replace the software thread?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
2011... will be eligible for an upgrade this year.
It's a fucking shame how Verizon has seemingly abandoned stock android.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Getting ready to get my first smartphone so this thread will be great. Been following the last, so I will follow this one.

But the header banner is too wide. Well beyond the site standard graphics.

Pctx

Banned
giga said:
You have two 2010 hardware threads ;). Great job with everything though.

I assume this will replace the software thread?
Lol... Crap. I'll fix that after i get back from lunch! :)

Epix

I'm hungry for some Ice Cream. OP, can we add a "Tips and Tricks" section for listing some lesser known, but just as useful, settings and tricks for each Android release?

Pctx

Banned
Epix said:
I'm hungry for some Ice Cream. OP, can we add a "Tips and Tricks" section for listing some lesser known, but just as useful, settings and tricks for each Android release?
That will be one of the sections I will add later on.

Also, fixed the 2 hardware thread problem in the OP. :D

Futureman

I'm confused, is there no longer gonna be a Software and Hardware topic?

If my next phone is an Android phone, it will definitely be whatever new Nexus is out there. I love my Droid X, but Moto's stuff is crap and while I'm running a custom ROM that gives me stock Android, I'd rather just have an official Google approved stock phone.

Futureman said:

If my next phone is an Android phone, it will definitely be whatever new Nexus is out there. I love my Droid X, but Moto's stuff is crap and while I'm running a custom ROM that gives me stock Android, I'd rather just have an official Google approved stock phone.

It was a bit annoying going back and forth between the two.

jas0nuk

Relatively pleased (not so much with the poor multitouch, but oh well) Nexus One owner here :)

Looking forward to Gingerbread. 2011 should be an awesome year for all Android fans. :D

2010 Was a great year for Android. With the advent of Dual Core, Gingerbread/Honeycomb and Ice Cream I expect 2011 to be even better. Particularly looking forward to the online marketplace and improved media functionality in Vanilla Android ;-)

Very, very interested in the LG Star and the Xperia Play should make things interesting come March. Can't wait for CES, MWC and Google Developers later on!

Pctx

Banned
Futureman said:

I sort am leaving that up to the people. I agree with James that I hated going back and forth between the two. Camping in one thread seems to make a bit more sense since the intention of this thread was for "Android" in general. The other threads (such as the development and older threads) still serve a purpose though.

Pctx

Banned
epic-4g.png

According to an image obtained by blog Phone Arena, Sprint’s EPIC 4G handset will be receiving an over-the-air (OTA) update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) on December 26th. The new code adds the ability to install applications to external storage cards, improves Bluetooth support and voice dialing, and brings Flash Player 10.1 compatibility. “GPS enhancements” is also listed in the update’s change log.

Link: http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/22/leaked-images-indicate-samsung-epic-4g-getting-android-2-2-on-december-26/

gimmmick

Ok, I read the thread that answered my own question.

Can't wait for CES. I still love my nexus one, but I always have the inch for something new every 1 - 1.5 years :lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Does the HTC Desire have the same multi-touch problems as the N1?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
robidomask said:
Is the EVO still worth getting? I'm thinking of picking one up in a couple weeks.

edit: I don't care for gaming on phones, btw.
CES is just around the corner, so you probably should just wait and see if anything interests you then. Although, as an EVO owner for the past 6 weeks, I have to say that this phone is a fucking beast. Worth every penny!

robidomask said:
Is the EVO still worth getting? I'm thinking of picking one up in a couple weeks.

edit: I don't care for gaming on phones, btw.

As others have said wait for CES, but if Sprint doesn't have anything in the pipeline. Evo isn't a bad choice at all, it still holds its own and is still worth having. If you're worried about future Android releases and performance, you can always go with the Epic 4G which is basically like the Nexus S minus NFC, and since it (Nexus S) is the new reference phone, it'll be around for a while.

What's the latest rumored release date for the HTC Incredible HD / Mecha / Thunderbolt? I don't want to miss out on the Verizon deal to waive the $9.99/extra line fee, but I want the Mecha.

Pctx

Banned
Ephemeris said:
New thread goodness. Is this a fusion of both the hardware & software threads or hardware only ?
The consensus is that this will be hardware & software thread. Customizations (in-depth ROM flashes, skinning, icon sets, rooting etc.) will be in a separate customizations thread.

Very much looking forward to 7" wifi only honeycomb tablets from Acer, Motorola, and the Galaxy Tab 2. Plus I might be getting an HTC Droid Incedible for Christmas (I know dual core phones are coming soon, but it replaces a 5yr old LG VX5200).

zedge

Why does the logo for US / Canada only have US carriers?

Region +1 USA / Canada

Just saying.. :D

Nice start though, like the banner.

jenov4

Thread subscribed! It's crazy how the Nexus One is just under a year old and it seems so dated. Ohwell! At least we're getting Gingerbread soon!

Oh, and if anyone is considering the MIUI rom, please do so. It's so fast and responsive. Almost makes me not care too much about Gingerbread.

Jeels

I love my Nexus S, I can't imagine going back to the iPhone. :) Just need cut the rope and I am a happy man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom