• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
209prvm.jpg

5evajb.jpg

The year 2010 is here, and it is the year Android takes no prisoners. This is the year that I don't even know if a multi-post OP will be able to encapsulate everything we will see. This is the year Android stops being niche and becomes ubiquitous.

Android is here to stay, folks. If that was in question before, Google kicked off 2010 by launching its very own Android phone, manufactured by partner HTC.

In 2007, Android was embryonic and only came into the light at the end of the year. In 2008 Android gestated for a good nine months before being birthed with its first device, the T-Mobile G1. In 2009, we saw many companies join HTC and manufacture a wide array of devices parallel to Android's development, and some growing pains were felt.

However, now in 2010, those pains will pay off. I truly think that Android will be running on a total of no less than 100 devices by this year's end. The year of Android is upon us.

A couple notes about reading the list: All the phones are assumed to have Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, Micro/SD slot, GPS, a 3.5mm headset jack, and an accelerometer. If it does not have one or more of these, I noted it in a "Lacks" section. Also, concerning the versions, "Stock" means it's from the AOSP and largely unmodified, "with Google" means it includes Google's apps, and "Google Experience" means that Google controls the software almost entirely (no manufacturer modifications at all and includes Google's apps.) Finally, a big thanks to El Papa for helping with the carrier/software "badges" at the upper right of each device's info card.

Lastly, my apologies for the incomplete sections and slapdash banner, I intend to improve both eventually. However, I am leaving for a few days and I know everyone has wanted me to post this regardless of completion, so, here we are. :p

xbk1ll.jpg

AcerLiquidE01.png

AcerbeTouchE110-01.png

AlcatelOT-980-01.png

BluebirdPidionBIP-6000-01.png

ChinavasionTheRobot01.png

GarminnuvifoneA50-01.png

GeneralMobileCOSMOS01.png

GigabyteGSmart01.png

HTCDesire01.png

HTCLegend01.png

HTCSupersonic01.png

HisenseHS-E90-01.png

HuaweiU8100-01.png

HuaweiU8110-01.png

HuaweiU8300-01.png

HuaweiU8800-01.png

LGInTouchMaxGW620-01.png

LGLU2300-01.png

MotorolaBackflip01.png

MotorolaCLIQXT01.png

MotorolaDevour01.png

OCOSMOSOCS5-01.png

SamsungBeam01.png

SamsungSHW-M100S-01.png

SaygusVphone01.png

Sony-EricssonX10Mini01.png

Sony-EricssonX10MiniPro01.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361930

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
rhn3wn.jpg

This section is forthcoming.​

2dj4fr.jpg

34zbvh5.jpg

2v7ts48.jpg

2094m88.jpg

2kpxxw.jpg

• NeoGAF Android Trilogy:

• Individual Device Threads

• Meet the HTC Hero
    The official thread for the unveiling of HTC's third Android device, the HTC Hero which debuts HTC's custom Android interface, "Sense" - including multitouch, Adobe Flash, and a slick customized user interface.

• Meet the Motorola Cliq
    The official thread of the first US Android device not made by HTC, the Motorola Cliq, which includes the company's custom Android interface, "Motoblur" - streaming all your social networking lives into a single device.

• Sony Ericsson’s XPERIA X10
    The official thread for Sony-Ericsson's stunning first Android device, the XPERIA X10, which includes a sleek profile, ridiculously high-end specs, and their custom interface "Timescape & Mediascape" - transforming Android into an elegant work of art as only Sony-Ericsson can do.

• Meet the Google Nexus One
    The official thread for the real, actual, in-the-flesh Google Phone: the Nexus One, boasting an AMOLED WVGA screen, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and the beautiful Android 2.1. Sold by Google itself, with no other branding, this handset can be bought either unlocked or with contract from a US GSM provider.

• Meet the Droid Incredible
    Self-described by HTC and Google as the Nexus One's cousin, this powerful Verizon-exclusive touch-screen Droid counterpart actually exceeds Google's own phone certain specs.

• Other Threads:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK you guys can post now. <3 Thanks for being patient once again, sorry it took so long.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black_Ice said:
YAY!

I am importing my Desire when it comes out - my first Android phone.

I cannot wait.

Oddly enough I forgot to upload the Desire card. :lol Correcting that now.

Aad

I should be getting the Motorola Milestone within the next few weeks, can't wait. My first Android phone.

theultimo

Aad said:
I should be getting the Motorola Milestone within the next few weeks, can't wait. My first Android phone.
I love my Droid...be prepared for a bit heaver then what you expect.

And why isn't the Droid/Milestone in the list? ;)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nice thread. It should be a good year for Android. No more excuses.

The Desire/Incredible looks incredible. :p Look at me, just bought my first Android phone (Eris) last month and already planning my next one. :lol

SimleuqiR

Bboy AJ said:
Nice thread. It should be a good year for Android. No more excuses.

Go Team Android!!

Let's hope the patent issue with HTC is resolved regardless of who is right or wrong. I want my 3.0 update this year.

pxleyes

Banned
Woohoo! Android army go!

Quite the selection this year. Glad to see my N1 will still be a top dog well into 2011 :D .

Its going to be a crucial year for Android to see if it will be picked up by the mainstream and start really challenging the established players worldwide. There's some great hardware already or due to be released and probably some even better stuff that we don't even know about. Let's hope for the sake of the mobile industry that its a huge success.

Sweet :D

I actually just got a samsung moment a week or so ago. I have Sprint so I don't have a ton of choice when it comes to Android phones just yet. Can't wait until they update it to Android 2.1 (supposedly by May).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My Sprint contract is up in September. Hoping that they will either have a good android solution by then, or I will be switching carriers to get a good one. Either way, I think I'm pretty much done with contracts. The deals on phones and low cost and such appealed to me before, but now that I want to use my phone for more than just talking to people I'll be looking for a bit more flexibility in exchange for paying more.

Ideally, Sprint will get a good Android option out there that I can unlock to take with me wherever I go. My current Blackberry Pearl has some issues (a memory leak that occasionally deletes my call/text history being the prime one), and making it to September with this will be a bit of a chore.

::edit::
For the record, I haven't really looked into what Sprint ALREADY has that may fit my needs. Figured I'd wait until closer to my contract date before I do much research. They could conceivably already have anything I could want.

Ecstatic

Neo Member
I'll be buying a new phone later this year.

Are any good Android phones coming to Australia?

Oz always seems to get left out :(

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The OP picture is fantastic, dude :lol

womp

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/09/apple-talks-tough-to-handset-makers/

F Apple. The Touch will be the first and last Apple product I own. Patents are one thing but this is about controlling a market by one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

It just pisses me off because all this inter company politics is going to totally kill competition and stagnate awesome technology.

Meanwhile Palm just sits idly by with their thumbs up their asses as Apple takes credit for groundwork they created.

Unfortunately I think the android hardware thread of 2010 is in for some hurt if Apple has anything to say about it.

If I were to go Android in the next, month, say, the best options out there right now are the Nexus One and the Milestone, aye? HTC Desire looks good but as it's basically the Nexus no need to really wait...

But damn the Supersonic. I want a screen like that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Awesome OP. Looking to get the Nexus One if it does come on the 23rd to Verizon. I definitely will trying out development as well. I'm pretty excited.

SimleuqiR

womp said:
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/09/apple-talks-tough-to-handset-makers/

F Apple. The Touch will be the first and last Apple product I own. Patents are one thing but this is about controlling a market by one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

It just passes me off because all this inter company politics is going to totally kill competition and stagnate awesome technology.

Meanwhile Palm just sits idly by with their thumbs up their asses as Apple takes credit for groundwork they created.

Unfortunately I think the android hardware thread of 2010 is in for some hurt if Apple has anything to say about it.

Even before the lawsuit, handset makers were having second thoughts about Google, which with the Nexus One had become a direct competitor. Now their faith in Android as the easiest and cheapest way to counter the iPhone has been shaken, says Reiner. The unintended consequence, he suggests, is to send them into the arms of Microsoft (MSFT) and Win7 Mobile.

"Our checks," writes Reiner, "indicate that Microsoft has been quick to sniff out this burgeoning opportunity and has begun to aggressively promote the strength of its own IP portfolio, as well as its willingness to join battle with customers that come under IP attack."

Well, worst comes to worst HTC pays up Apple for any patent infringements. But now this, Google will not let momentum Android has garnered this past year go to waste. The mobile market is too important to Google to let it be controlled by Apple and/or Microsoft.

womp

SimleuqiR said:
Well, worst comes to worst HTC pays up Apple for any patent infringements. But now this, Google will not let momentum Android has garnered this past year go to waste. The mobile market is too important to Google to let it be controlled by Apple and/or Microsoft.

No, what would more likely happen is HTC will duck out of the Android market and stick with Windows Mobile 100%.

Hence why this sucks ass. :/

HTC wouldn't have the funds to go up against Apple for starters. This is ultimately leading up to Apple vs. Google and it is due to the Nexus and Droid's popularity being a threat to the iPhone brand it seems that Apple is suddenly doing something about it.

Android OS phones finally catch on in market = Apple getting their panties in a twist.

Paznos

Nice thread!! like the Captain Planet reference but you forgot Wind! :lol

Looking forward to CTIA or maybe even before that if something leaks.

jenov4

Once again, great thread. Thanks Andrex. I hate the fact that all the reviews on the internet out out months before the units are (well, I find that's the case for us Canadians.).. boo to that!

nataku

The Supersonic could be my next phone if Palm doesn't release some more powerful (and better built) hardware on Sprint this summer.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
theultimo said:
I love my Droid...be prepared for a bit heaver then what you expect.

And why isn't the Droid/Milestone in the list? ;)

Didn't/isn't coming out in 2010. Os is it? I'll add it if it is.

Paznos said:
Nice thread!! like the Captain Planet reference but you forgot Wind! :lol

Looking forward to CTIA or maybe even before that if something leaks.

I couldn't find a fifth carrier. I thought doing a random non-US one would be snubbing the rest.

nataku said:
The Supersonic could be my next phone if Palm doesn't release some more powerful (and better build) hardware on Sprint this summer.

Well looks like Supersonic it is, then. lol

There aren't that many "star" Android phones revealed, but the year is young. I like the vPhone, it's supposed to do video chat.

Sorry if posted already. Engadget HTC Legend review.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/htc-legend-review/

Wrap-up

It's safe to say that HTC's broken yet another mold with the Legend, stunning the world with both its hardware and software design. There's no question about the unibody's toughness, and many other features we've seen here are of significant improvements over the Hero, namely the AMOLED screen (in general), FM radio, optical trackpad (debatable), still camera and the new goodies plus performance boost in Sense UI. Sure, there are major flaws in the battery life and video recording performance, but the positive mind in us are hoping that these can be fixed via a software upgrade, if they weren't of hardware glitches. Some may have hoped for some 720p video capture capability, but hey, isn't that what the Desire's for? We hope so. Anyway, we'll know which one's of the best value when both phones are available in European shops.

BTW The Xperia X10 is coming to the UK this month, i think the 27th of March if I recall correctly. I'll post impressions of it and the Desire closer to release.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Let's get that sexy white and red concept phone out!!
Woohoo!

http://gizmodo.com/5490299/android-surges-while-the-iphone-stalls-out

Android Surges While the iPhone Stalls Out

The latest smartphone subscriber numbers are out, and the last three months have been kind to Google. Android's still a relatively small player, but its usage base more than doubled since October. The iPhone, meanwhile, keeps on treading water.

RIM remains the leader in the smartphone space, with nearly half the market using BlackBerries. Apple's 25.1% share is undeniably impressive, but only growing .3 percentage points (relative to the market) means this summer's impending iPhone 4 release can't come soon enough for Cupertino. Either that or a whole mess of patent lawsuit wins.

The losers, predictably: Palm, whose business model is collapsing before our eyes, and Microsoft, whose sitting duck WinMo 6.5 OS is in the process of being totally scrapped.

tokkun

Hawkian said:
What you bolded is not a complete sentence, right? Am I reading wrong?

"Now, their faith in Android - as the easiest and cheapest way to counter the iPhone - has been shaken, says Reiner."

Punctuation added.

SimleuqiR

facebook on android sucks so bad compared to the iphone app. It's a fucking joke.

I every facebook app I tried is worse then the mobile facebook website

Ken Masters said:
facebook on android sucks so bad compared to the iphone app. It's a fucking joke.

I every facebook app I tried is worse then the mobile facebook website

This is the hardware thread bud.

But while I'm typing this, I don't find it bad at all. It's missing chat and directs you to the mobile site for notifications, but overall it's pretty good. I wouldn't say it sucks.

PSGames

Thanks for the new thread mate. Still rocking my G1. Debating on getting on of the highend Android phones or waiting for WP7. I'm a sucker for new technology so we'll see :D

jonnybryce said:
This is the hardware thread bud.

But while I'm typing this, I don't find it bad at all. It's missing chat and directs you to the mobile site for notifications, but overall it's pretty good. I wouldn't say it sucks.

The biggest problems with the Facebook even are no notifications for wall posts and no photo tagging. Pretty sure they'll come in the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom