• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Update/Mod Edit:

Reviews for the OP.

# Metacritic As Of 6:14 CST On February 3rd (19 Reviews) - 87
# IGN – 8.5
# Gamespot – 8.5
# Eurogamer – 8
# GameTrailers – 9.4
# 1UP – B+
# G4TV - 4/5
# CVG – 8.5
# GamesRadar - 9.0
# Joystiq - 3.5/5
# Games™ - 7.0
# Vandal - 9.2
# Cinamite - 9.5
# Videogameszone.de - 9.3
# Cheat Code Central - 9.2
# 3DJuegos - 9.0
# GameZone - 9.5
# Playstation Official Magazine UK - 9.0
# PlayStation Universe – 9.5
# Destructoid - 10
# Videogameszone – 93/100
# VideoGamer – 7
# Game Front – 95/100
# Just Push Start – 5/5
# PlayStation Lifestyle – 10
# TheSixthAxis – 9

Source 1: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killzone-3/critic-reviews
Source 2: http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/03/killzone-3-reviews-round-up/

Original:

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/pierwsza-ocena-killzone-3-i-to-w-polskim-magazynie

Biggest selling Polish video game magazine CD Action published world's first Killzone 3 review.

Dg6or.jpg

Review Score: 9/10

Ads:
+ one of the most beautiful games in the world
+ well-balanced, varied campaign
+ high difficulty level
+ Move and Sharp Shooter play

Cons:
- series deserved deeper and better protagonists
- minor technical difficulties

Hanmik said:
from another forum:
The game is said to outclass everything else on current gen consoles in terms of graphics. The locales are varied and all very detailed. The enemies are also a joy to behold. The reviewer goes as far as to claim that its almost like an interactive piece of artwork. The pacing of the game has been improved over K2. The game is hard from begining to end, even on the normal setting. Coop is mentioned, but not really elaborated upon. You can play the campaign in coop thats for certain. The multiplayer tested only with bots (the games not out so there was no way to play with people) seems much improved and as interesting as it was in K2. The sound in the game is fine but still does not compare to something like Bad Company 2.

Would be great if someone could translate this whole article.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Expected 10/10, not sure if I want now... we'll see.

edit: what did it say about DMC3? O_O

Takao

Banned
I expected 10/10 for World Exclusive.

Why does that cover mention years old PS2 games? DMC3, and Tomb Raider Anniversary are both good games and all...

BeeDog

I hope the campaign is lengthier than the KZ2 one, but I honestly doubt it since they've focused into adding more variety instead.

DaBuddaDa

MULTIMEDIA CD-ROM ACTION NEWS 13 would be a better name.

After LBP2, Dead Space 2, and now this, it seems like 9/10 is the new 8/10.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DennisK4 said:
Joke or worst first post ever?
Joke.

Multiplayer beta was the best thing ever. Like, seriously.

BeeDog

DaBuddaDa said:
MULTIMEDIA CD-ROM ACTION NEWS 13 would be a better name.

After LBP2, Dead Space 2, and now this, it seems like 9/10 is the new 8/10.

Ooooor, we gamers might just be lucky when they are showering us with excellent games. LBP2 is excellent, and I doubt Dead Space 2 and KZ3 won't be. :D

DaBuddaDa

BeeDog said:
Ooooor, we gamers might just be lucky when they are showering us with excellent games. LBP2 is excellent, and I doubt Dead Space 2 and KZ3 won't be. :D
Yeah, it's an awesome start to the year so far. Just like 2010 really.

Massa

Takao said:
I expected 10/10 for World Exclusive.

Why does that cover mention years old PS2 games? DMC3, and Tomb Raider Anniversary are both good games and all...

I'm assuming you get those 2 games free with the DVD that comes with the magazine. PC version.

Arnie

Suspected the protagonists would be a bit shit after Visari. Guess these guys agree with me.

Good first score. If this magazine had review code in time to hit this issue, there must be a slew of other magazines sitting on reviews, so there's probably a few incoming very soon.

Ricker

Best in the World hey...hehe,and i`m sorry,this is just my opinion of course but a high difficulty is not a plus for me(if they are talking about the normal difficulty),challenging on normal is great but high difficulty is for hard or insane modes...

My current PS3 BR drive is dead out of warranty so this game will probably make me buy the 160 GB Slim.

I'll wait for the multiplayer reviews before I decide on this game.

The beta was seriously bad. I actually enjoyed being spawn camped in radec academy more than that crap.

Polk

Yoshichan said:
Expected 10/10, not sure if I want now... we'll see.

edit: what did it say about DMC3? O_O
Actually DMC3 is just full game on cover disc (along with TR:Anniversary) not some feature.

Arnie said:
Suspected the protagonists would be a bit shit after Visari. Guess these guys agree with me.

Good first score. If this magazine had review code in time to hit this issue, there must be a slew of other magazines sitting on reviews, so there's probably a few incoming very soon.

review code was sent out like eons ago.

Hanmik

from another forum:

The game is said to outclass everything else on current gen consoles in terms of graphics. The locales are varied and all very detailed. The enemies are also a joy to behold. The reviewer goes as far as to claim that its almost like an interactive piece of artwork. The pacing of the game has been improved over K2. The game is hard from begining to end, even on the normal setting. Coop is mentioned, but not really elaborated upon. You can play the campaign in coop thats for certain. The multiplayer tested only with bots (the games not out so there was no way to play with people) seems much improved and as interesting as it was in K2. The sound in the game is fine but still does not compare to something like Bad Company 2.

Polk

Mush said:
OK... wasn't expecting that.
Why? Magazine reviews are almost always made with older builds than reviews by gaming sites. There could be some unpolished things on let's say 2 month old build.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Great score for what's sure to be a great game. Local campaign co-op increased my interest ten-fold. It's a rare feature these days which is unfortunate.

Otacon

PuppetSlave said:
What technical difficulties? Are we talking framerate? tearing? what?

hopefully not the midlevel loading hiccups again as they can really kill the atmosphere

Ricker said:
i`m sorry,this is just my opinion of course but a high difficulty is not a plus for me(if they are talking about the normal difficulty),challenging on normal is great but high difficulty is for hard or insane modes...

just finished KZ2 yesterday again in preparation for KZ3 and while i like a good challenge, the Radec fight is just not fun at all
the fact that a totally suck at FPS might come into play though DX
hope the save points are well done so it doesn't get too frustrating

BeeDog

Arnie said:

Visari wasn't a protagonist.

Maxrunner

They should re-release killzone 1 and 2 with move support like Ninty did with prime series....i refuse to touch an fps with dual analog.

Arnie

BeeDog said:
Visari wasn't a protagonist.
Shit, dumb post was dumb. Meant Antagonist. Still my feeling that the antagonists will let me down, would like to be proven wrong when I buy the game though.

I would agree though that Sev is a bit of a dull protagonist, just a shame they killed
Jan.

DaBuddaDa

Always-honest said:
Didn't they allready wow you in previews?
To be always honest, no, not particularly from anything I have watched. I never got into the beta though, so I have limited exposure.

As someone mentioned - DMC3 and TR:A are full games available on a DVD bundled with the magazine. CD-Action is well known for this, they've been doing this since the beginning. Personally I detest them for that, the magazine always sounded more like selling games with extra print stuff, than the other way around.

DaBuddaDa said:
To be always honest, no, not particularly from anything I have watched. I never got into the beta though, so I have limited exposure.
Okay. Well, my guess it's up there with Uncharted 2 and with much more going on. But that's guessing.

Hanmik

here is a google translate from another Polish site:

Review Killzone 3 in the new issue of CD Action suggests that the developer did not disappoint - the game got a score of 9 / 10. Score relatively safe, given that the author states in leadzie that "the third outing trumps almost everything in recent years has emerged in the shooter genre with a view of first-person perspective."
The fact that the game is "a class prettier than all console FPS" it is difficult to disagree. The multiplayer mode is "absolutely the prettiest multiplayer of all time." From the review, we learn also that the Killzone 3 is better balanced and more diversified in terms of gameplay.

Killzone 3 got a
10 graphics,
8 audio
9 for gameplay.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/pierwsza-ocena-killzone-3-i-to-w-polskim-magazynie&prev=_t&rurl

BeeDog

Yoboman said:
Im surprised the audio is so low, the sound effects have been fantastic from what I've heard

I agree. The sound in the beta impressed me greatly; one of the few games that can stand up against BC2.

Top Bottom