• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

completely misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I was being completely misunderstood in the ladyboy thread, probably due to my poor use of quotation marks. I was absolutely not trying to mock them.

I just thought it was interesting that the girls looked attractive compared to the stereotypical images of drag queens and transgendered people in the media. I could have easily been fooled - I wouldn't have known that they were ladyboys if I hadn't been told.

EDIT:

Now, I think I understand... you're upset that I used the word "ladyboy". That's the commonly-used term in Thailand, and I didn't intend for it to be interpreted as a slur. (see article below)

"...It is most often rendered as ladyboy in English conversation with Thais and this latter expression has become popular across South East Asia..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathoey

Next time you should include that in your OP. It did seem like you were mocking them.

Edit: and don't call them ladyboys. I am not sure but I think transgender might be ok.

What is the proper way to talk about them? Would gaf let me know?

Gaborn

ANSANE said:
BTW, I was being completely misunderstood in the ladyboy thread, probably due to my poor use of quotation marks. I was absolutely not trying to mock them.

I just thought it was interesting that the girls looked attractive compared to the stereotypical images of drag queens and transgendered people in the media. I could have easily been fooled - I wouldn't have known that they were ladyboys if I hadn't been told.

Any other slur and your ass would be hung out to dry.

8tlif.png

Don't say ladyboy. Holy shit.

Okay it's used in Thailand. Fine. Doesn't change the fact that the tone of your post in that thread was totally condescending

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Koodo said:
Oops, I Did It Again.
yeah that's the word for them in thailand. It's the '3rd sex' and there was a thread about it the other day. It's how the culture views/treats them.

Don't say ladyboy. Holy shit.

why not?

Gaborn

ANSANE said:

Look, even if you accept that using the term "lady-boy" is meant inoffensively - you're not being fooled. A transgendered person does not start out as one gender and for them "become" another. They're born mentally and emotionally different than than their birth sex. They don't "become" girls they ARE girls who just happened to be born with a penis. "Fooled" is almost more offensive than "ladyboy" because it suggests there is something wrong with them.

Seda

Gaborn said:
Look, even if you accept that using the term "lady-boy" is meant inoffensively - you're not being fooled. A transgendered person does not start out as one gender and for them "become" another. They're born mentally and emotionally different than than their birth sex. They don't "become" girls they ARE girls who just happened to be born with a penis. "Fooled" is almost more offensive than "ladyboy" because it suggests there is something wrong with them.

Depends how you define gender...I get what you are saying though.

ANSANE said:

EDIT:

Now, I think I understand... you're upset that I used the word "ladyboy". That's the commonly-used term in Thailand, and I didn't intend for it to be interpreted as a slur. (see article below)

"It is most often rendered as ladyboy in English conversation with Thais and this latter expression has become popular across South East Asia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathoey

Completely unrelated, but are you presto from mp3.com?

If eminem says he was not white, but he was a black man who happen to be born with white skin you wouldn't think he was bring ridiculous?

Gaborn

Ninja Scooter said:

"Girl" is not what's between your legs, it's a state of mind, a perception of your body image and who you are as a person. They don't randomly decide to undergo HRT and "become" girls. They're girls that are correcting a physical problem where their body does not match their reality mentally and emotionally.

Edit - Race is another social construct and different cultures have wildly different views on what constitutes "black" or "white"

teiresias

Ninja Scooter said:
If eminem says he was not white, but he was a black man who happen to be born with white skin you wouldn't think he was bring ridiculous?
Is this BS serious? Are you seriously doubting the authenticity of being transgendered?

Gaborn said:
"Girl" is not what's between your legs, it's a state of mind, a perception of your body image and who you are as a person. They don't randomly decide to undergo HRT and "become" girls. They're girls that are correcting a physical problem where their body does not match their reality mentally and emotionally.

but when they do undergo surgery and get implants, ect...aren't they then confirming that "girl" IS what is between your legs? I mean, I totally get what you are saying, and Im accepting and open minded to whatever anybody wants to look/act/dress like or call themselves, but you can't fight science.

Gaborn said:

I remember my psych professor saying over there they do it for the money they make...doing...you know...

Ninja Scooter said:
That's definitely not analogous to trans-gendered people, no.

Red

Ninja Scooter said:
but when they do undergo surgery and get implants, ect...aren't they then confirming that "girl" IS what is between your legs? I mean, I totally get what you are saying, and Im accepting and open minded to whatever anybody wants to look/act/dress like or call themselves, but you can't fight science.
Sex =/= gender

xbhaskarx said:
Isn't it a chromosomal thing, Xx and XY?

Ok I see where this is going...

Ninja Scooter said:

and I'm out of this thread.

Gaborn

Ninja Scooter said:

No, it's a little bit like plastic surgery if you will. A transgendered person's body image does not fit with their mental or emotional makeup. Having the surgery and the hormone therapy is the way they adjust to that.

There is even a case relatively recently where someone who was born male had an accident during their circumcision and their penis was damaged, so the parents raised them as a girl - but they never identified as a girl even though there was no way they could know they were a boy. They just KNEW innately that they were a boy and acted out and rebelled against being raised as a girl from a young age.

The physical reality matching the mental and emotional reality is good for mental health, but it's not what defines you as male or female.

Grimmy

Banned
Koodo said:
Oops, I Did It Again.

I'm in Bangkok now, and I can tell you that ladyboy is the term that's used and accepted here, although to foreigners it may sound demeaning...

As a kid I used to go trans shows in a place called Tiffany's near Pattaya - they were pretty darn amazing.

Seda

Ninja Scooter said:

I actually have a story about this. I was at a group dinner event with a motivational speaker. At first appearance he was white and you paid no attention to it. He went on to tell a story about how he was adopted and went on a soul searching journey to find his family. Ends up he was the offspring of a black and a white south african couple.

And then you saw it.

His facial structure, his hair, his voice, even his hands. He was a black person with white skin.

I know the story doesn't match up perfecty since he did have a white mom, but he went on to say how he never felt right as a member of a white community and never knew why. He lives in South Africa now with the (mostly) black side of his birth family iirc.

So males who are transgender and even ones that have corrective surgery don't classify themselves as females or women? Do they consider themselves still male?

Rickard

Gaborn said:
There is even a case relatively recently where someone who was born male had an accident during their circumcision and their penis was damaged, so the parents raised them as a girl - but they never identified as a girl even though there was no way they could know they were a boy. They just KNEW innately that they were a boy and acted out and rebelled against being raised as a girl from a young age.

Circumcisions are bad.

Ninja Scooter said:
So males who are transgender and even ones that have corrective surgery don't classify themselves as females or women? Do they consider themselves still male?

Many transgenders don't self identify as either male or female, and aren't big fans of gender binary.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ninja Scooter said:
Science has demonstrated that are structural differences in TG brains. Science is not on your side.

Seda

Ninja Scooter said:

I've never known one personally, but I think they see themselves as women.

I forget where I saw this documentary, but a young boy (in the wording used in this topic, a girl born as a boy) in the documentary was asked to choose between a male and female doll and asked which one he was. He picked the girl doll every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom