• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

completely misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
CaptYamato said:
I remember my psych professor saying over there they do it for the money they make...doing...you know...
There is a huge percentage of transpeople that have extreme difficulty getting employment due to discrimination and are therefore forced into sex work for survival.

Ninja Scooter said:
If eminem says he was not white, but he was a black man who happen to be born with white skin you wouldn't think he was bring ridiculous?

Male and female are the two main categories of the human species, it's a ubiquitous difference (aside from in the case of the 'third sex') and there are added differences between the two (in brain structure, etc) that reflect that. The human fetus exists in a default 'female' state before androgens masculinize it. Since sex is essentially the two main categories of the human species, it's a spectrum that everyone falls on somewhere by a matter of degree. Race isn't a good analogy.

umop_3pisdn said:
Male and female are the two main categories of the human species, it's a ubiquitous difference (aside from in the case of the 'third sex') and there are added differences between the two (in brain structure, etc) that reflect that. The human fetus exists in a default 'female' state before androgens masculinize it. Since sex is essentially the two main categories of the human species, it's a spectrum that everyone falls on somewhere by a matter of degree. Race isn't a good analogy.

There's also a high number of people born with both sex organs and the parents literally choose for them.

Fusebox

Banned
Freshmaker said:
Science has demonstrated that are structural differences in TG brains. Science is not on your side.
Not all Thai ladyboys are genuine trans-gender trapped in the wrong body, many do it just for the money and because its more socially acceptable over there, that's why they've built an entire industry around it.

geeko

8tlif.png

Devolution said:
There's also a high number of people born with both sex organs and the parents literally choose for them.

Yes, absolutely, and that's a horrible thing for those parents to do, I was just taking the overly simplified/extremely un-nuanced view.

Crunched said:
Oh ho, nice edit.
Same difference. Many of said studies are highly controversial and some with poor reproducibility, etc.

You can say one thing or another but the issue has by no means been resolved where one could make a firm statement saying yea or nay.

Devolution said:

I've heard people say this but I have always heard it is very rare. Of course the people that say it is rare are usually doctors.

Seda said:
I don't get the connotation of this...
when you paint people who are simply trying to get rid of harmful derogatory terms towards transgendered people as "unforgivingly left" you make yourself appear shockingly ignorant and/or stupid

Grimmy

Banned
Fusebox said:
Not all Thai ladyboys are genuine trans-gender trapped in the wrong body, many do it just for the money and because its more socially acceptable over there, that's why they've built an entire industry around it.

Errr... I wouldn't say that. It's just the case that Thailand is much more accepting of transsexuals/transvestite than other societies, so people are more free to become what they feel they are. My cousin is a perfect example.

Red

Buckethead said:
Same difference. Many of said studies are highly controversial and some with poor reproducibility.

You can say one thing or another but the issue has by no means been resolved where one could make a firm statement saying yea or nay.
If he said "science has proven" instead of "has demonstrated," I might agree with you. I have no doubt there are deep seated biological differences in people with transgender identities, but I realize there isn't really conclusive evidence on the subject as of yet.

G-Fex

Two things OP, you were either A. pointing out "ooh look at these! Huh gaf, Huh?" or B. Some sort of appreciation for them.

I'm inclined to believe the first one.

Seda

Ninja Scooter said:
Glenn Beck.

Oh. I consider myself Republican, but as soon as I say anything people assume I'm an ignorant Fox News hardcore Christian who thinks the earth is only thousands of years old, tea party hate mongerer science and Richard Dawkins is evil etc etc.

I'm none of those things I promise (well Christian with very loose biblical interpretation). I've never watched Glenn Beck.

Monocle

Seda said:
Oh. I consider myself Republican, but as soon as I say anything people assume I'm an ignorant Fox News hardcore Christian who thinks the earth is only thousands of years old, tea party hate mongerer science and Richard Dawkins is evil etc etc.

I'm none of those things I promise (well Christian with very loose biblical interpretation). I've never watched Glenn Beck.
I was kind of just ribbing you.

Crunched said:
If he said "science has proven" instead of "has demonstrated," I might agree with you. I have no doubt there are deep seated biological differences in people with transgender identities, but I realize there isn't really conclusive evidence on the subject as of yet.
Regardless seemed to me that he was namedropping "science" for the sake of his petty argument.

If you want to argue semantics he also said "science is not on your side", which: 1 falsely asserted science has a side and 2 implying it was on 'his'.

But this hardly on-topic and will devolve into another argument so I'm out.

CaptYamato said:
I've heard people say this but I have always heard it is very rare. Of course the people that say it is rare are usually doctors.

1/100 babies are born with intersexed conditions, 1/1000 undergoes "corrective" surgery.

Most are given surgery to have the appearance of a vagina since it's easier.

I put corrective in quotes because it's more of a societal stigma really.

well considering science has at least attempted to understand what makes transgender people who they are and not the opposite, i.e., trying to prove that it has no biological basis, science is kind of on the side of showing that there are differences in TG brains

Seda said:

That just makes you a bad republican. ;)

Fusebox

Banned
Grimmy said:
Errr... I wouldn't say that. It's just the case that Thailand is much more accepting of transsexuals/transvestite than other societies, so people are more free to become what they feel they are. My cousin is a perfect example.
Even that still doesn't explain the disproportionately high number of kathoey in Thailand, plenty of other countries are just as sexually tolerant.

However, I think the biggest shock in this thread is a republican not knowing who Glenn Beck is!

Seda

ZephyrFate said:
when you paint people who are simply trying to get rid of harmful derogatory terms towards transgendered people as "unforgivingly left" you make yourself appear shockingly ignorant and/or stupid

It seemed like people were jumping all over his case and overreacting when he didn't seem to intend to use the word in a derogatory manner.

I remember in a topic where someone accidentaly used
JAP
instead of JPN and a similar thing happened.

Koodo

Banned
catfish said:
yeah that's the word for them in thailand. It's the '3rd sex' and there was a thread about it the other day. It's how the culture views/treats them.
Yeah, in Thai context.

To illustrate: negro (as a noun, not an adjective) is a completely normal term in Venezuela that refers to black people. Would you go around calling Gaffers negro?

"HOLA MY NEGROES, HOW ARE YOU?"

No, you would not.

The transgendered community here probably would not appreciate "ladyboy," much like black Gaf wouldn't appreciate "negro" or gay gaf wouldn't appreciate "marico."

And in any case, like Gaborn pointed out, the OP pretty much can be summed up as "I don't meant to insult anyone, it's just that I was almost tranny surprised." Offensive, in bad taste, embarrassing, etc etc.

Seda said:
It seemed like people were jumping all over his case and overreacting when he didn't seem to intend to use the word in a derogatory manner.

I remember in a topic where someone accidentaly used
JAP
instead of JPN and a similar thing happened.
well i mean i don't really care a whole lot about the issue but i mean, if you think about it, how is ladyboy NOT a harmful term to use? it's like calling a gay person a fairy or a flamer

Devolution said:
1/100 babies are born with intersexed conditions, 1/1000 undergoes "corrective" surgery.

Most are given surgery to have the appearance of a vagina since it's easier.

I put corrective in quotes because it's more of a societal stigma really.

I'm about to go to bed but have any links to the case studies that support these claims? I find this interesting. Need to read more about it.

Seda

Koodo said:
Yeah, in Thai context.

To illustrate: negro (as a noun, not an adjective) is a completely normal term in Venezuela that refers to black people. Would you go around calling Gaffers negro?

"HOLA MY NEGROES, HOW ARE YOU?"

No, you would not.

The transgendered community here probably would not appreciate "ladyboy," much like black Gaf wouldn't appreciate "negro" or gay gaf wouldn't appreciate "marico."

And in any case, like Gaborn pointed out, the OP pretty much can be summed up as "I don't meant to insult anyone, it's just that I was almost tranny surprised." Offensive, in bad taste, embarrassing, etc etc.

I guess the determining factor is that he was actually visiting Thailand...that's where the pictures were from iirc

Gaborn

Trent Strong said:
Can you prove this using empirical data?

I'm not a clinical psychiatrist. I do know that transgendered people are treated for their "condition" in psychiatry by undergoing evaluations for mental fitness to begin transitioning their gender - that is, their "cure" is the transition from one physical gender to the other.

Currently the APA does not recommend trying to force someone to keep their birth gender any more than it recommends reparative therapy for gays.

Red

ZephyrFate said:
well i mean i don't really care a whole lot about the issue but i mean, if you think about it, how is ladyboy NOT a harmful term to use? it's like calling a gay person a fairy or a flamer
I think mostly it seems inoffensive because transgender people are largely an outlier group in society. It's like they don't have a voice, because of that. They are marginalized worldwide.

It's more accurate on a surface level compared to "fairy" or "flamer," since it appears more accurately to describe a physical situation, like "black/white person." But as said above, it marginalizes the group. It doesn't correctly identify them as a third sex, and turns them semantically into freaks (combining two ideas seemingly in opposition with one another).

Seda

ZephyrFate said:

I think it stemmed from a tendency to want to distinguish them apart i guess

ugh I'm digging a hole here. I feel lonely as a college-age republican and don't do well in crowds :/

please hand me a shovel gaf

Seda said:

ugh I'm digging a hole here. I feel lonely as a college-age republican and don't do well in crowds :/

well then if you want to distinguish them, use the term intersex. it's incredibly accurate and describes pretty much all TG cases.

it's pretty easy.

G-Fex

I find it hard to believe one side of the board can support transgender and the other can make fun and or mock feminine looking men.

Seda

ZephyrFate said:
well then if you want to distinguish them, use the term intersex. it's incredibly accurate and describes pretty much all TG cases.

it's pretty easy.

Intent>Semantics is all I'm saying, though both can be crucially important.

G-Fex said:
I find it hard to believe one side of the board can support transgender and the other can make fun and or mock feminine looking men.
the only feminine looking man I make fun of is justin bieber if only because he's created a look among all younger men nowadays that I absolutely despise. That hairdo...

Seda said:
Intent>Semantics is all I'm saying, though both can be crucially important.
well yes and I understand and even I as a gay man will use the term faggot every now and then because I find homophobic slurs hilarious and worthy of being made fun of in general so i get your point, but I rarely use it in real life around gay guys I know if only because while I may be transparent when it comes to homophobic slurs they may not be

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Like I said in the first thread: option C. There is a long and complex historical tradition of third (or more) genders in various cultures from around the globe.

Gaborn

Seda said:

Honestly, I think it shows some character that you can admit that (at least I hope that's what you're saying) your thinking was based on a pre-conceived prejudice about people. That is a very important step to over coming that kind of ignorance.

I realize that sounds a little fatuous but, I DO respect it. I've talked to a few TG people and I've found them to be warm, funny, and wonderful people. It's probably a good idea to keep in mind when you think about separating them from others that - they're just like everyone else. But because of a minor difference that isn't going to affect the average person's interactions with them most of the time they get discriminated against and emotionally abused more than most other people.

I wish people would make more of an effort to meet different sorts of people before coming to conclusions about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom