• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

I noticed early on (prologue) that I could cut off limbs with killing blows but I never saw that again throughout the game. Weird.

Wallach

Tokubetsu said:
I'd love to CDP tackle Fallout with this engine. It's a pipe dream but god damn. Can you imagine fighting some of Fallouts monsters with this engine?

They wouldn't be able to deliver the kind of detail you see in this game in something as large as Fallout. I want Fallout on a new engine myself, but I'm not exactly sure this is it. Gameplay-wise I'm not sure I'd really want them to mess with Fallout.

Amir0x

Banned
man this game is so amazingly gorgeous

it's so fun too

it's just...*swoon*

Second best game of the year so far after Portal 2.

Darklord

Banned
Man said:
Everything is disabled except Bloom and Texture memory pool at Medium with no scaling. 1650x1080 res. CPU is 4x 2.8ghz. Latest 270.61 Nvidia driver.

I dunno what's wrong then unless terrible performance means less than 60fps to you. I have most things on high and running at 1080pand I get 20-45fps depending on where I am.

Tacitus_

Man said:
Everything is disabled except Bloom and Texture memory pool at Medium with no scaling. 1650x1080 res. CPU is 4x 2.8ghz. Latest 270.61 Nvidia driver.

Drop the rez. Ran it with a 285 in 1600x900 with everything on high and had a constant 30-40+ FPS.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Tokubetsu said:
I noticed early on (prologue) that I could cut off limbs with killing blows but I never saw that again throughout the game. Weird.

Yea I brought this up aswell, maybe it's a bug.

Solo said:
Art + tech

Best looking game ever.

Absolutely, the visuals set a new standard.

Van Buren

Tokubetsu said:
I know Corky might disagree but I felt Chapter 3 did all of the threads going in W2 justice. If they didn't wrap things up, they progressed to a point where a new expansion or game made sense. From a purely story standpoint, Chapter 3 was 100% satisfying to me. It's just a bit stiff on the gameplay end but coming off Chapter 2 (roche's path) which was extremely meaty, it didn't bother me much.

So, it's similar to a second book in a fantasy series then ? Where the initial conflict is resolved, only for the scope to be revealed to be much than anticipated, with various parties vying for power ? I'd love for that to be the case, since I always felt the Lodge of Sorceresses, Nilfgaard and the other Northern Kingdoms were nearly absent in the first game.

Man

Darklord said:
I dunno what's wrong then unless terrible performance means less than 60fps to you. I have most things on high and running at 1080pand I get 20-45fps depending on where I am.
It's in the 5-10fps so not being unreasonable.
Again, everything pretty much disabled. Medium textures. 1650x1080.
460. 4GB ram. Quad core @ 2.8ghz. SSD. 3D Vision driver deleted, Nvidia 270.61 driver otherwise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Solo said:
Did you at least have fountain-sex with Triss, Snuggler?

Of course. I've been entirely monogamous with Triss so far, but not because I choose to be. I'm in chapter 2 and there are definitely a couple ladies that I think I can shack up with, though.

I miss the days of trading a loaf of bread or a couple of roses for sex.

Wallach

Man said:
It's in the 5-10fps so I'm not unreasonable.

Did you install the 3D stuff with the latest drivers? From what I've heard there's a bug if you install the full package including the 3D vision packages.

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
Fountain sex? That's the bath scene we always see in screens? Which quest is that? Spoiler it if you must

The rose of remembrance quest. If you talk to Triss, you get a sex scene that is surprisingly watchable and hilarious after what we normally see from Bioware.

Zeliard

I also love all the little details. You put someone's cooking fire out with Geralt and they'll start blowing at it to get it back.

Tokubetsu

Van Buren said:
So, it's similar to a second book in a fantasy series then ? Where the initial conflict is resolved, only for the scope to be revealed to be much than anticipated, with various parties vying for power ? I'd love for that to be the case, since I always felt the Lodge of Sorceresses, Nilfgaard and the other Northern Kingdoms were nearly absent in the first game.

Thats actually a really great way of looking at it, yes. I can't really say more without spoiling but it's definitely ends at a point where you're no longer in the dark. Everyone's cards are on the table and the players are set.

Tacitus_

Van Buren said:

Not really.
One faction is behind all the slayings and is moving an army to take the headless kingdoms of the north. The lodge is in disarray and you get a ton of exposition from one character to explain the motives. Note: I sided with the spec ops guy, the elf would have a different ending.

Darklord

Banned
Solo said:
Its a Chapter 1 quest...can't recall the name off hand.

Shortly after
the Kayren fight

Man said:
Deleted via Control panel. Other place to look?

Delete the drivers, reinstall the beta drivers and choose to not install the 3D drivers in the installer. It's under advanced or custom you can just untick it.

Archie said:
Has anyone tried an Insanity run yet?

I can't even imagine this game on Hard, I'm still on Easy. Though I tend to forget I can block.

Wes said:

Best line of the game!

bluedeviltron said:
In the middle of Little Sisters (
Chapter II
), walking the beach, something hit me like a ton of bricks.

CD Projekt RED + The Dark Tower
. I didn't think anyone could handle the source material until I played The Witcher 2. This would be number one on my dream games list.

Makes me think of seeing this realized...

1LoqP.jpg

Snuggler said:
Of course. I've been entirely monogamous with Triss so far, but not because I choose to be. I'm in chapter 2 and there are definitely a couple ladies that I think I can shack up with, though.

I miss the days of trading a loaf of bread or a couple of roses for sex.

That peasant woman in Vizima Outskirts is still the funniest hook-up.

"Sometimes gentlemen would give me flowers!"
"I have some flowers here, I romantically looted them from the corpse of a dead merchant down the road."
"OH GERALT!"

Salaadin

Darklord said:
Shortly after
the Kayren fight

Delete the drivers, reinstall the beta drivers and choose to not install the 3D drivers in the installer. It's under advanced or custom you can just untick it.
Thats why I didn't get it then. Thanks

Corky

Pankaks said:
I loved messing with this guy lol.

So what was his role? He was a blue blip on my minimap but that line was all he ever said to me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Corky said:
So what was his role? He was a blue blip on my minimap but that line was all he ever said to me.

Not sure to be honest.

Whenever I tried to talk to him he said that phrase or something along the lines of: "Oh no I won't speak to the mutant!"

Perhaps he's somehow related to the other merchant that pays you to kill the chapter 1 boss.

Cday

Banned
The graphics and world are extremely rich. Like a cake with too much icing. The load times aren't there to break the immersion and the cut-scenes are amazing without the need of CG to further preserve immersion. This engine is something else.

Shame about the rampant spelling and grammar mistakes in the journal.

Corky

Joke spoilers :
Did foltest fuck every woman in the land because every child had his sons character model >_<

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
someone should also do one for (hope I'm quoting this right) the dwarf who yells out "BITE HIS BALLS!" during the bar brawls

jim-jam bongs said:
Funny that it's actually listed as one of the recommended ways of dealing with wraiths in the game guide

Oh you used a guide to base your argument of tactics instead of experience and reasoning. This makes more sense.

Kyaw

Kyaw said:
So, how do i remove that bloody tattoo?

No replies? :(

FYI, it's the tattoo you got after getting drunk with Vernon Roche's special force soldiers.

I can't find the ingredients needed for the spell that removes the tattoo.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kyaw said:
No replies? :(

FYI, it's the tattoo you got after getting drunk with Vernon Roche's special force soldiers.

I can't find the ingredients needed for the spell that removes the tattoo.

Talk to the Witch-lady outside of Floatsam, she sells all the herbs you need

Amir0x

Banned
Also, man. The fact that I got this game for 44.99 over Steam really just embarrasses the $60 console game paradigm. It's a 30 hour game that looks infinitely better than any console game and came with a soundtrack, guide, map, videos, papercraft for 44.99. Meanwhile in consoleville... 6 hour game for $60 with little to no replay value and a framerate that hovers around 20fps.

God PC gaming is amazing.

Zeliard

Too true.

And when you do look at a console title that's offering a similar amount and quality of stuff in-game and out, it's, naturally, Dark Souls and its incredible CE pre-order package. No coincidence there.

HeadlessRoland said:
Oh you used a guide to base your argument of tactics instead of experience and reasoning. This makes more sense.

Derp, wrong again. That's what I used the very first time I fought wraiths. I happened to be reading the notes for an unrelated quest in chapter 2 because I sold a book which I shouldn't have, and it mentioned that Yrden was a great way of dealing with wraiths. Which I'd already worked out because it was common-sense.

Anyway this has been loads of fun, but it reached "can superman outrun the flash?" levels of childishness a while ago so I might just leave it there if it's all the same to you.

Hixx

akskiller said:
I'm a Witcher. hiyaa.

This is (apart from the menu system being an unreliable POS) my big problem with the game. The repeated dialogue is horrendous. The worst HAS to be:

'Get Iorveth! Death to the Squirrels!' in that shrill kids voice, though :(

Pancakes

Kyaw said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's too late now, i'm in Chapter 2. :(

Hrm

The one ingredient I could never find was the stupid green mold so I had to keep the tattoo for the entire game.

Perhaps another vendor is selling it in Chapter 2.

RedSwirl said:
You can't do anything else with that lady can you?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

woober

HixxSAFC said:
This is (apart from the menu system being an unreliable POS) my big problem with the game. The repeated dialogue is horrendous. The worst HAS to be:

'Get Iorveth! Death to the Squirrels!' in that shrill kids voice, though :(

You should watch the giantbomb quicklook on The Witcher 2. "PLOUGH 'EM ALL!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom