• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs who wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

If you had to pick who would be considered the more accomplished and innovative person? who will be remembered more 100 years from now?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
EvzBH.jpg

Jobs is a business man. He can market tons of shit and do it well. Gates is an innovator who became a business man. I'd put his technical proficiencies against Jobs any day.

Tapiozona

Banned
Gates.

In a fist fight I'm not sure, at least not in their current forms. Young Jobs would have wiped the floor with Gates but old Jobs is rail thin and has ailing health. I think it would be a toss up against old dork Gates.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Jobs is a business man. He can market tons of shit and do it well. Gates is an innovator who became a business man. I'd put his technical proficiencies against Jobs any day.
Innovator he is not. Sorry nope. All his products were invented some where else. He just had scale.

mollipen

If we're going on their contributions to technology and innovating it (and not counting non-tech things like the Gates Foundation), then there's absolutely no question it'd be Jobs.

Not even sure how anybody could say Gates in that discussion.

Draft

I think history has a way of streamlining itself as years pass by. If 1,000 guys work to invent something, after 10 years only the hundred most important people are remembered. After 100 years, only the 10 most important. After 1,000 years, it was practically one super genius that did the whole thing by himself.

When the goobacks read about the personal computer and the technological revolution of the late 20th century, they will learn of Steve Jobs, the Michaelangelo level genius that invented personal computers, smart phones, tablets, etc.

I don't think there's anyone else, not even Gates, who so easily fills the roll of visionary.

LQX

Gates. There is a PC is damn near every home on the planet. Plus he walked away from one the biggest companies in the world to do charity.

mollipen

LQX said:
Gates. There is a PC is damn near every home on the planet. Plus he walked away from one the biggest companies in the world to do charity.

Gates came in on a market already established by IBM and took it over. If you look past that, how many big successes, market-changing products, or technology advancements (that stuck) has Gates been the visionary behind? Nowhere near as many as Jobs.

Vestal

Gold Member
Draft said:
I think history has a way of streamlining itself as years pass by. If 1,000 guys work to invent something, after 10 years only the hundred most important people are remembered. After 100 years, only the 10 most important. After 1,000 years, it was practically one super genius that did the whole thing by himself.

When the goobacks read about the personal computer and the technological revolution of the late 20th century, they will learn of Steve Jobs, the Michaelangelo level genius that invented personal computers, smart phones, tablets, etc.

I don't think there's anyone else, not even Gates, who so easily fills the roll of visionary.

Actually if we are nit picking.. Steve Wozniak invented Personal Computers not Jobs.

All in all, it was Gates who thanks to his software brought the PC to the masses. he at 1 point accured the biggest wealth known to man.

We also need to thank Bill Gates for saving Apple in the late 90s, and allowing them to do what they have done now.

bionic77

Technosteve said:
Innovator he is not. Sorry nope. All his products were invented some where else. He just had scale.
Gates is definitely smarter but as an innovator you have to go with Jobs. Though the story of Gates selling an OS he didn't fully own to IBM is classic.

Asinine contest. Apparently, fanboys exist for everything.

Regardless of the whole Microsoft vs. Apple nonsense, Gates will be regarded as the greatest philanthropist in history: that is an impressive legacy.

Plumbob

Technosteve said:

Somebody doesn't know how Microsoft started in the first place...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
This thread is proof of how delusional most of GAF is with their Apple hate.

Mr. B

Gates.

Technosteve said:
You can say the same thing about Jobs. Everything Apple (in general) has done was already on the market. Jobs just knows how to package a product and sell it.

Utako

Banned
What? Is it even a contest?

Who the fuck cares who has better computers? Bill Gates has done far more for the meatbag humans, even in the evil (as opposed to merely incompetent) days of Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom