• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs who wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
daviyoung said:
So there was the Apple II, and then...
Let me fill it all in. Under Jobs' personal direction:

Apple I - The first computer with everything on one single board. Woz came up with it, but Jobs saw the potential in it and set up their garage-based business. (Woz would have been happy just tinkering away as a hobby.)

Apple II - The first "Personal Computer", for the masses, taking actual computers out of the nerd realm and onto the desktop. Was a hotbed of innovative software development. The first desktop business productivity software was on there. IBM eventually booted them from the business realm with their "PC", but if you grew up in the '80s, your school probably had a ton of them. (Oregon Trail!)

Lisa/Mac - The first commercially feasible and successful computer with a GUI (Xerox had some $80,000 machine that never really sold), and a polished GUI at that. Microsoft was given a prerelease one, so they could develop software for it (Word was on Mac first), and secretly started developing Windows right away. It changed everything we know about computer interfaces. (And was derided as a "computer for babies" by hardline computer fundamentalists.)

LaserWriter - One of the first laser printers on the market, and when paired with the Mac, pretty much created the "Desktop Publishing" industry. Something we totally take for granted nowadays.

And of course, all the other stuff Jobs pushed for and helped standardize, like 3½" floppies.

There's probably other stuff I left out, but I can't remember right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom