• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs who wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gates bailed out Apple and has the business office market. But Jobs is innovating and has the art market.

I'd say they're about event.

xbhaskarx

numble said:
zRg1pl.jpg

Is there a larger version that's actually readable?

Yeah people really need to see sillicon valley movie, GATES FTW! you all really need to see the past to really start talking about the present and future.

bionic77

Earl Cazone said:
its not the apple hate. its just, that gates appears to be the more likable person.
That's because he quit and is just a philanthropist now. Gates was really hated in the 90s, especially after he crushed Netscape so quickly. It was like an anti-trust fatality.

Lunchbox

Banned
Gates' name will go along with windows and pcs, and the advancement of modern technology and he also has one of largest charity organizations in the world

while the other guy made mp3 players

Kak.efes

Gates is the worlds biggest philanthropist. Does Jobs even have any charities? What's he done with all the power and wealth he's accumulated?

mollipen

Mr. B said:
You can say the same thing about Jobs. Everything Apple (in general) has done was already on the market. Jobs just knows how to package a product and sell it.

There's a huge difference between how you package a product and the actual innovation brought to those products.

I know it's easy to say "LOL iPad already existed because tablets already existed", but that's having a totally ignorant opinion on how hard it actually is to put together products and what went into products like the iPad.

In the same way, a lot of people say "LOL online already existed" when talking about Microsoft's efforts with Xbox Live, but really, they brought a lot of innovation that hadn't existed before that point.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
bionic77 said:
That's because he quit and is just a philanthropist now. Gates was really hated in the 90s, especially after he crushed Netscape so quickly. It was like an anti-trust fatality.
As much as I loathe Internet Explorer since its inception, I'd say that Netscape killed itself as much as MS helped kill it. Netscape 4 was so slow in terms of page rendering that it was to the point of not being usable at all on sites with lots of tables (and by then it was the only way to do page layout). And we all know what happened (or didn't happen) with Netscape 5.
I kept using Netscape 4 until Mozilla became usable (0.7 or something like that?), but damn was it painful.

mike23

All the Jobs lovers are acting like Steve Jobs spends all day inventing new stuff when in reality hard working engineers and programmers are doing all the inventing/hard work while Jobs gets all the credit just for thinking the invention is a good idea.

edit: not to say Steve Jobs doesn't work hard or that he isn't incredibly valuable to the company. He's just given too much credit some times, I think.

Purkake4

Banned
Kak.efes said:
Gates is the worlds biggest philanthropist. Does Jobs even have any charities? What's he done with all the power and wealth he's accumulated?

via Wikipedia
After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs.
"In the United States, Microsoft matches each employee contribution — up to $12,000 annually; this includes a match for gifts of time as well as money. When employees volunteer their time in the community, Microsoft donates $17 per every hour volunteered to the eligible organizations they serve. This program has been in place for only one year, and already employees have volunteered for more than 110,000 hours. "

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My vote goes to Bill Gates. Of course, being a big nerd from Seattle myself, and someone who grew up on Windows, I may be a bit biased.

Gates.

Sent from my 100 square feet mud-shack in Zimbabwe.

Thank you for the donations uncle Bill.

But seriously they are both amazing at what they do (done) and I don;'t think they should be compared.

Fuck! I cannot even rent (see) "Pirates of the Silicon Valley" yet, so hard to find that movie.

linsivvi

Blimblim said:
As much as I loathe Internet Explorer since its inception, I'd say that Netscape killed itself as much as MS helped kill it. Netscape 4 was so slow in terms of page rendering that it was to the point of not being usable at all on sites with lots of tables (and by then it was the only way to do page layout). And we all know what happened (or didn't happen) with Netscape 5.
I kept using Netscape 4 until Mozilla became usable (0.7 or something like that?), but damn was it painful.

I agree. Firefox and Chrome proved that while MS tactic helped IE become dominant, Netscape would've survived if they did a better job. Besides, MS have killed much bigger fishes than Netscape.

Back to topic. Gates was never innovative. He's just a ruthless businessmen.

bionic77

mike23 said:
All the Jobs lovers are acting like Steve Jobs spends all day inventing new stuff when in reality hard working engineers and programmers are doing all the inventing/hard work while Jobs gets all the credit just for thinking the invention is a good idea.

edit: not to say Steve Jobs doesn't work hard or that he isn't incredibly valuable to the company. He's just given too much credit some times, I think.
It is impossible to undervalue Jobs as CEO just like it is impossible to do the same with Gates. If you think just anyone could do as good as job, well just look @ Ballmer.

Blimblim said:
Yeah IE3 was a really good product for its time (especially compared to 1 and 2 :lol). But they definitely went for the kill when they made IE free and started bundling it with Windows. Seemed like Netscape died almost instantly once IE3 came out. Gates was a ruthless mofo who didn't play around.

bionic77

linsivvi said:
I agree. Firefox and Chrome proved that while MS tactic helped IE become dominant, Netscape would've survived if they did a better job. Besides, MS have killed much bigger fishes than Netscape.

Back to topic. Gates was never innovative. He's just a ruthless businessmen.
Don't forget absolutely brilliant.

kehs

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
You're not good with grammar are you? I apologize if English isn't your first language.

I've never had the fortune of meeting him, but damn does he have a great radio voice. Too bad about him splitting up with his wife though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom