• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

qBZpG.jpg

Official Website

International competition is always fun and women's soccer/football is no different. This year is the sixth edition of the fairly recent tournament and is taking place in soccer/football crazy Germany. The United States won the first Women's World Cup in 1991, and Germany has won the last two, in 2003 and 2007. (The other two winners were Norway in 1995 and the US in 1999). It has the same format as the men's World Cup except half the number of teams due to a lower number of women's national teams. The groups are as follows:

Group A:

Germany
Canada
France
Nigeria

Group B:

Japan
England
New Zealand
Mexico

Group C:

United States
North Korea
Sweden
Columbia

Group D:

Brazil
Australia
Norway
Equatorial Guinea

FIFA World Rankings:

1 USA
2 Germany
3 Brazil
4 Japan
5 Sweden
6 Canada
7 France
8 Korea DPR
9 Norway
10 England
11 Australia
12 Italy
13 Denmark
14 Netherlands
15 China PR
16 Korea Republic
16 Iceland
18 Spain
19 Finland
20 Russia

Other notables:

22 Mexico
24 New Zealand
27 Nigeria
31 Columbia
61 Equatorial Guinea

Schedule (All times German):

GROUP A

26/06 18:00 Germany 2:1 (2:0) Canada
26/06 15:00 Nigeria 0:1 (0:0) France
30/06 20:45 Germany - Nigeria
30/06 18:00 Canada - France
05/07 20:45 France - Germany
05/07 20:45 Canada - Nigeria

GROUP B

27/06 15:00 Japan 2:1 (1:1) New Zealand
27/06 18:00 Mexico 1:1 (1:1) England
01/07 15:00 Japan - Mexico
01/07 18:15 New Zealand - England
05/07 18:15 England - Japan
05/07 18:15 New Zealand - Mexico

GROUP C

28/06 18:15 USA - Korea DPR
28/06 15:00 Colombia - Sweden
02/07 18:00 USA - Colombia
02/07 14:00 Korea DPR - Sweden
06/07 20:45 Sweden - USA
06/07 20:45 Korea DPR - Colombia

GROUP D
Date - Time
29/06 18:15 Brazil - Australia
29/06 15:00 Norway - Equatorial Guinea
03/07 18:15 Brazil - Norway
03/07 14:00 Australia - Equatorial Guinea
06/07 18:00 Equatorial Guinea - Brazil
06/07 18:00 Australia - Norway

The Quarterfinals will take place on July 9th and 10th, the Semifinals on the 13th and the Final on the 17th. The third place game will take place on the 16th.

The games so far have been good. There have already been 2 goals scored straight from free kicks and a possible goal of the tournament from Monica Ocampo of Mexico. There used to be significant drop after the top 4 or 5 teams in the world, but the world is catching up. Germany and England were expected to win their first games handily, over Canada and Mexico, respectively. Instead Germany, two time defending champs, barely squeaked out a 2-1 win and England had to settle for a 1-1 tie.

If some top class international soccer/football isn't enough for you, well, there's always the eye candy.

GTfh0.jpg

utdXr.jpg

JsLq0.jpg

From top to bottom: Alex Morgan, Heather Mitts, Hope Solo, proud members of Team USA

Socreges

Banned
Was watching the 2nd half of the Germany - Canada game the other day. Saw Christine Sinclair's sweet free kick goal. German girls are a nasty bunch. Sinclair was the only player able to get anything done. She's a beast.

Funny to think that my friends tried to set me up with her back in the day. Not for me, but a great person.

USA girls are smoking. Jesus.

lush

I'll probably check out the US match tomorrow before Wimbledon coverage. Women's soccer is at least tolerable, even more so during these harsh, sports-free summer months.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
We're doing ourselves a disservice. You know, as a human race. That we don't encourage more women engage in these types of sports. It's like men want a sausagefest for everything.

Where can I watch this?

JLG-

Veidt said:
We're doing ourselves a disservice. You know, as a human race. That we don't encourage more women engage in these types of sports. It's like men want a sausagefest for everything.

Where can I watch this?
ESPN3.com

xbhaskarx

Go USA

I will watch their match against Best Korea.

Also I'm loving all these soccer threads, I believe this is the third one just for women's soccer just in the last few days (there was one for Best Korea and another one relating to an African team), plus we have the main soccer thread stickied once again, a US soccer thread, a MLS thread, the US vs Mexico Gold Cup thread, and the River Plate relegation riot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
JLG- said:
Mexico beat England today 1-1!

fuck yea.

Sick ass gol too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpraiiS3wXY

First-ever point for Mexico in a Women's World Cup too.

In this category, anything we can grab is worth the time.

xbhaskarx said:
Also I'm loving all these soccer threads, I believe this is the third one just for women's soccer just in the last few days (there was one for Best Korea and another one relating to an African team), plus we have the main soccer thread stickied once again, a US soccer thread, a MLS thread, the US vs Mexico Gold Cup thread, and the River Plate relegation riot.

I could post the Copa América thread already, but maybe it's a little early?

Clydefrog

vAIYD.jpg

seriously, go USA! it's just a bonus that we have some very attractive players

i saw highlights of the last time USA - Korea DPR played against each other. it was a 2-2 tie. and the goals USA gave up were horrendous. i want a fucking shutout this time. fuck north korea. FUCK THEM

TangMeng

Did anyone see the piece on sportcenter yesterday about Hope Solo? She looks even better now than the last world cup, got damn.

Will be watching tomorrow.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
My ex only watched football because of the "good looking fellas" so while I don't agree with the course this thread is taking from OP and down it's not uncommon that girls do the same for men's football either.

Chuckie

Smiles and Cries said:
the US team has been strong it is so strange that they do so well considering the men's side does decent but by no means a powerhouse

For Orange it is the exact opposite. I just noticed the Dutch team is not even competing in this World Cup

Huh? I had no idea this was going on. I'll look forward to seeing Sweden annihilate Columbia, Korea and whatever the third country was.

yeah we need some streams

I found two matches on this site http://www.soccertvlive.net/
but I am not sure how good that site is I watched USA vs Mexico Gold Cup Final on it and the ads were a bit much.

So please share better links when game time nears

there is like 4 hours to the next match up

alterno69

Banned
Yeah women goalies look just silly compared to men, every other position they look ok but the keepers are mostly bad and clumsy.

Mohonky

Women soccer players, they're either stunning or dykes. There's never an in between.

Will be staying up to watch this. I like how the women do less acting than the guys in general.

Looking forward to the Matilda's kicking off their campaign against Brazil on Thursday morning. We've got a crazy young squad though. Nine of our players are 20 or younger.

Mohonky

edotherocket said:
Looking forward to the Matilda's kicking off their campaign against Brazil on Thursday morning. We've got a crazy young squad though. Nine of our players are 20 or younger.

Are we getting any coverage on free to air?

Who made the finals last year? i started liking womens football a few months ago when i saw a WPS game. Their is a certain connection you make when they play.

EDIT: I just saw the highlights of Nigeria's match against France and i have to say the Nigerian goalkeeper was a beast.

Slizz

All the games so far have been pretty entertaining....Hopefully today follow suit. Alex Morgan is hot and the sub for England yesterday that came on in the 81st minute was very attractive as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom