• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are no words: Shadows of the Damned sold 24,000 copies, Child of Eden 34,000

Akia

link: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/15/zelda-sold-well-in-june-child-of-eden-and-shadows-of-the-damned/

At the same time, Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360.
Child of Eden, the NPD told Joystiq, sold approximately 34,000 units in its debut month, ranking at number 83.

EAP just dropped the ball. I mean holy freaking crap.

Suda51 can't catch a break.

Mikami is probably too busy counting his $$$ from Zenimax to notice, good thing he locked down that contract before this game hit shelves.

Uhm, so it was the game, not the console! I remember when No More Heroes sold just 60k the first weeks in NA, and Mad World as well, and people was trying to give all the responsabilities to the console.
Some games are simply out of business before they are released.

Deadstar

Customers aren't willing to pay $60 anymore for a game unless it's a sequel. Of course there are some exceptions but I think that's what we are dealing with.

Haven't played the game myself, and probably won't because of the aesthetic. I'm guessing many people who didn't buy the game felt the same way.

I think that if the game were released in the fall it might've sold more copies

Kyon

Banned
Omg :(

tumblr_locry0r6Ev1qeyvoy.gif

Bread

Banned
I had never even heard about it until I saw my buddy playing it on my XBL friends list, did they have a marketing budget?

Tagg9

I am being 100% honest when I say that I know very little about this game. I've heard it in passing at NeoGAF, but I couldn't tell you what genre the game is or anything.

/edit: Woah... The game is published by EA?!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is really a failure of EA's marketing department.

Nobody knew this game was coming out when it did. Read the GAF official thread. Even we didn't know this game was coming out.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, as some have already said, no hype, no marketing. Game flew COMPLETELY under my radar.

Somebody at marketing really failed when I see how lauded it actually is.

JJD

That's sad. I wonder if the game tackled horror in a serious, pretentious way (like RE) it would do better (instead of the slapstick horror). I mean the gameplay is there...

Mikey Jr.

Tagg9 said:
I am being 100% honest when I say that I know very little about this game. I've heard it in passing at NeoGAF, but I couldn't tell you what genre the game is or anything.

Yep. The ONLY reason I knew it existed was because of the Giant Bomb quick look.

Amir0x

Banned
oh then there should be some sick price drops on this soon. I hesitated on it 'cause, ya know, Grasshopper Manufacture and all, but I guess I'll pick it up when it's $6.85.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Honestly outside of Giantbomb and Weekend Confirmed I have never heard of this game and part of my job is to sell games in a retail store... (we dont carry the game).

Still yet to hear about this game outside of gaf and a few podcasts.

Terrible terrible marketing. I didn't even know it was out until like a week after it released.

It's really sad when a good game with an all star staff does poorly :(

johnsmith

remember me
I didn't even know this was out until a few weeks after, and I own Killer 7 and both NMHs.

Terrible marketing, and I knew i'd be able to buy it for $20 or less by the end of the year. It should have been a $39.99 budget release.

Never heard of it. Admittedly, I don't follow game development as closely as I used to, but I'm still in the loop far better than 99% of the gaming population. They must've been anti-marketing this one. It's crazy that I don't even recognize the title.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Was waiting for a sub $30 price.

Guess I'll be able to snag it for ~$10 in the next couple months. Poor Suda...

Tiktaalik

This is probably the biggest bomb I can think of. The next closest one I can think of is PGR4, which did more than this I think (~30k?)? I guess that was only one platform though.

Ken

When I went to pick the game up within it's week of launch, Gamestop didn't even put it up on the shelves behind the counter where all new releases are displayed. Even the new Transformers game was up there instead of SotD. When I asked for SotD, the cashier seemed like she had never even heard of the game before that only came out a few days ago.

It's too bad but I guess poor sales were probably expected awhile ago.

LQX

Heard nothing about this game until last week on a podcast. They really should have released a demo or at least provide more preview converge until the release.

ZealousD said:
This is really a failure of EA's marketing department.

Nobody knew this game was coming out when it did. Read the GAF official thread. Even we didn't know this game was coming out.

Alice's marketing was really no different and it apparently sold quite a bit better than this. The reviews also destroyed it.

Amir0x said:
oh then there should be some sick price drops on this soon. I hesitated on it 'cause, ya know, Grasshopper Manufacture and all, but I guess I'll pick it up when it's $6.85.

Sadly, this is pretty much what I've been waiting for too, because I knew it was going to bomb and I am tight for money right now. I personally think it looks awesome, but really am just broke.

Top Bottom