• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are no words: Shadows of the Damned sold 24,000 copies, Child of Eden 34,000

I imagine that EAP's marketing budget has all been reserved for putting out as many 'from the creators of Call of Duty' adverts as humanly possible, whenever Respawns game comes out.

I didn't know this game existed until the NPD thread

It has the most generic title of a game I have ever heard. Even when responding to this thread I had to look up the name again.

After reading about the pedigree of the game, really shocked that EA didn't do more to slowly develop hype for the game over the course of spring and early summer.

That said, I don't think the game should have launched at $60 . This sounds like a perfect example of a game that should have launched at $40.

EA published two niche games in the same month. Would it have been that hard to package a demo for Alice in this package and vice versa? Find small ways to increase the value of the game, while also building hype for the other.

EA really needs to look at smaller companies like NIS and Atlus that are doing well at marketing smaller more niche Japanese titles...

200925b.jpg

That cover art isn't doing it any favors, either. Dogshit.

Child of Eden is just too expensive for me. As a XBLA game I'd eat it up for 1200pts, but anything more than that? Nope.

Especially since I heard you have to grind it out to get to the next level. Awful design.

This is way i fucking hate the Wii, hardcore games doesn't sell in the console. Two No More Heroes games and now Shadows OTD, Lets just hope EA decides to port the game to the HD consoles.

dallow_bg said:
Milk?
Didn't the second one do terribly?

It sold 25k in 5 days. It clearly missed the mark of the first, but it also came out quietly compared to the first (though both did not have ads). Still sold well considering his other works.

That and Marvelous has been releasing the first game on HD platforms. It has some potential left.

This is way i fucking hate the Wii, hardcore games doesn't sell in the console. Two No More Heroes games and now Shadows OTD, Lets just hope EA decides to port the game to the HD consoles.

not sure if serious

StuBurns

Banned
Akia said:
How well did EA market Crysis 2 for Crytek?
Crysis 2 is massively better than SotD.

Child of Eden's sales make me sad, but I know I'm waiting for the PS3 version, maybe others are.

Akia

Sales numbers don't lie. Here's an example of two premiere Japanese studios that are just out of touch with worldwide audiences.

Refreshment.01 said:
I laughed at this more than I should have.

Kerrby

Banned
Amir0x said:
oh then there should be some sick price drops on this soon. I hesitated on it 'cause, ya know, Grasshopper Manufacture and all, but I guess I'll pick it up when it's $6.85.

That's not as funny as you think it is.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I like to think I follow games quite a bit but I have absolutely no idea what Shadow of the Damned is or that it is out already.

Child of Eden , on the other hand... Shame on you world!

johnsmith

remember me
Refreshment.01 said:

Joke post? I can't even tell anymore.

Child of Eden should have launched at $20 at retail and DD. It could have developed into this generation's Katamari Damacy: SOmething quirky and fun that people try out because of the low barrier of entry.

Apdiddy

It's possible people didn't buy it because they heard the main plot and thought it would be like Dante's Inferno but different.

Dante's Inferno is an OK game but it's GOW Again. And the last hour or so is bad.

animlboogy said:
Does Suda keep his budgets insanely under control? He gets some good publishing deals for how consistently awful his games sell.

I mean, I personally would throw millions at the man if I had them, but I'm kind of surprised to see EA getting involved with him.

Oh yeah, I didnt know this game was out either. Fucked up.

Prior to NMH he got tiny budgets for games.
After that, he expanded his studio quite a bit and probably got larger budgets, but they are still not even close to say... Darksiders.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
TheUnknownForce said:
It sold 25k in 5 days. It clearly missed the mark of the first, but it also came out quietly compared to the first (though both did not have ads). Still sold well considering his other works.

That and Marvelous has been releasing the first game on HD platforms. It has some potential left.

not sure if serious
Games are front loaded though, I can't imagine it doing much in the long run.
Is there a recent LTD?

What the flying fuck. I'm a huge Suda fan. Killer7 is my favorite game. And yet I had no idea this game existed. Guess I better go out and buy it.

angelfly

I think Shadows of the Damned could have done a lot better had EA bothered to actually do any marketing for it. As for Eden, clearly it would have done better not being timed exclusive.

I only know of this game due to the video on Qore that I couldn't even finish as the game looked so terrible. These sales pretty much seem like just deserts. Will probably go OOP very quickly.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This is because Wii doesn't sell games! We all know that if this were on the HD twi- what?

Oh.

EDIT: Beaten

This is just the latest in a very long string of signs that something has gone horrendously wrong on home consoles over that last decade.

At this point I'd say a new 1980's Atari crash type of situation is in high order to hopefully kick things back on the right track or just put it out of it's misery.

Pyccko

dallow_bg said:
Games are front loaded though, I can't imagine it doing much in the long run.
Is there a recent LTD?

Valkyria Chronicles ended up selling a good bit more down the road from its release from the strong word of mouth.
Hopefully something similar will happen with these two. ;_;

Jigsaw

Banned
mikami's name doesn't mean shit in america,see pn03,godhand or vanquish...if it's not called resident evil it will bomb

the game can't do that bad in europe though,it still fullprice here,while alice or dungeon siege dropped to 25€ two weeks after release

Top Bottom